As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    It's not like AEW has to do a 20 man tournament over two months. Even taking two or four people out of the round robin brackets can greatly decrease the number of matches.

Also speaking of tournaments it's pretty stupid that WWE booked Queen's Crown and King of the Ring at the same time completely unprompted. So now each tournament is fielding eight people meaning that WWE's split brands are looking at their entire roster and going "uuuhhhh...those four."

For the women "those four" is actually closer to "uh which four non-champions/non-challengers are still healthy?" as noted above.

But a round of qualifiers would have been nice, yes. I think someone came up with "hey we could give out actual crowns at Crown Jewel" without checking the calendar to see when the draft would eat up an entire week.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The King of the Ring matches on Smackdown were given ten minutes each.

The Queen of the Ring matches were given three minutes...total.

Nobody asked WWE to run these two tournaments at the same time. They could have done one tournament months later or alternate men's and women's tournaments every other year. Instead it's another unforced error.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Triple HHH lies awake at night wishing he had an entrance as baller as that.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Praise Sakisama!

This match was really good. Magical Sugar Rabbits ended up winning the titles just as expected, but not before Mei Saint-Michel had the chance to bust out the mop and attempt some of the moves her predecessor Martha was known for. Ultimately Mei lost NEO Biishiki-gun the match, and I have a feeling she'll be sent back for some additional maid training.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Triple HHH lies awake at night wishing he had an entrance as baller as that.

..."HHHHHHHHH"?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Saturday Ishii and Hiromu had a non-tournament match they wrestled like it was the main event. Broke my rule of watching non-tournament matches during the G1.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's based on another video created 6 years ago for OSW Review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geM7g2l88BE
    The creator of that video tragically took their own life 3 years ago.

It seems pretty not cool if someone copied the idea without crediting Tri.Moon - especially as they are not around to explicitly give their permission.

The original version of this was a WWE production. The OSW version is itself a copy.

Yeah, here's the original for reference.

https://youtu.be/SMrp5aX5-6k

WWE was knocking these kind of videos out of the park at this time, and this one is still easily one of the best ones.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Tonight’s Dark Elevation is off to an Eddie and Paul start. I’m only 2 matches in but we’ve already got
    - Eddie pronouncing Penelope as “peena-lope” all match
    - “You gonna get the last word in again?” “Yeah just waiting for them to count me down, 3, 2, 1, Peena-lope!”
    - (Eddie starts talking over Paul) “Go ahead Shooo aaahhh!” (Just going with the fact he almost called him “Show”)

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Saturday Ishii and Hiromu had a non-tournament match they wrestled like it was the main event. Broke my rule of watching non-tournament matches during the G1.

The match between ZSJ and Kenta later in the card is one of the best of the tournament and probably Kenta's best match in New Japan.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Goddamn, they don’t give half as much effort to entrances in the States unless it’s something like a main event at Mania, and your name is The Rock or John Cena.

Is there an easy way to start following this fed, or does it involve a lot of trouble setting things up?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Goddamn, they don’t give half as much effort to entrances in the States unless it’s something like a main event at Mania, and your name is The Rock or John Cena.

Is there an easy way to start following this fed, or does it involve a lot of trouble setting things up?

To be fair, this is a title match from Wrestle Princess, TJPW's biggest show of the year, and Sakisama is all about her appearance.

And yes, TJPW is available on the Wrestle Universe streaming service.

• Options

The match between ZSJ and Kenta later in the card is one of the best of the tournament and probably Kenta's best match in New Japan.

Thats the match that made me watch the show so I'm going to check it out later.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I signed up to Wrestle Universe a few days ago, its cool that they're giving away a few free months. I've mainly got it for Noah, but there are some TJPW and DDT matches that I'm keen to check out.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    I might sign up for Wresle Universe, but between NJPWworld and IWTV there's already so much wrestling I don't have time to watch.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's a an optometrist or something nearby my home who has their name out on the sign visible from the road and their last name is Van Dang and I always amuse myself about how that's what they'd rename RVD if he'd debuted in the PG era.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AJR wrote: »
    I signed up to Wrestle Universe a few days ago, its cool that they're giving away a few free months. I've mainly got it for Noah, but there are some TJPW and DDT matches that I'm keen to check out.

Been wondering, do you just straight up get it free? Or do you pay the $10 for one month but don't get billed again until February?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Naomi Yoshimura is back doing what he does best - wrecking pretty boys.

Tough loss for the Sauna Boyz, but a big and much needed win for DISASTER BOX. Since Naomi and HARA are in opposite blocks of the D-Oh Grand Prix, their new goal is to meet each other in the finals so that one of them is sure to relieve Takeshita of his other title.

Oh yeah, and, remember how a couple weeks ago DAMNATION disbanded with zero animosity? That didn't last long.

After defending his Universal Championship today, newly reformed babyface Daisuke Sasaki dropped the very obvious charade, declared that he would form a new version of DAMNATION called DAMNATION TA (Total Addiction), and requested Soma Takao and Tetsuya Endo be the first members! Of course Charisma immediately kicked Soma in the face and berated him and Endo for being the reason DDT forced DAMNATION to break up in the first place. He also introduced MJ Paul, a vicious creature that Sasaki found in the woods (not to be confused with Mad Paulie, a sweet alien from Planet Paulie), and vowed that his new unit would once again bring chaos and havoc to DDT.

So far it's just those two, but it is worth noting that Yuji Hino was wearing Charisma's shirt in an earlier six-man tag, during which he faced off against Tetsuya Endo. They'll meet on the first day of the D-Oh, with Endo determined to lift the very large Hino up for a Torture Rack Bomb and Hino promising to give Tetsuya a FUCKING BOMB of his own. With no DAMNATION loyalty binding them, the flippy boy is likely to get murdered.

• Options
    AJR wrote: »

Been wondering, do you just straight up get it free? Or do you pay the $10 for one month but don't get billed again until February?

There's no charge until January 1st, but that month's payment is required.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    ULpajXu.jpg

Can confirm, saw missing finger. Not linking that though. IWA Deep South Wrestling Carnage Cup XII, three days ago.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    What the fuck?!?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oh, I saw that described and vastly misunderstood what happened.

What the flying fuck.

• Options
    gross

• Options
    All the other IWA's do so much work for Mid-South not to be scummiest and they all seem happy to do that work.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    BIG

DICK

TONY

we’re open Friday Live with The Buy In online at 9 ET/8 CT @suzuki_D_minoru vs. @bryandanielson

• Options
  • Options
    It sucks that I assume MiSu loses I almost wish they could of did a tie

But honestly I assume Bryan is just BEAMING cause of this

Honestly at this point the only thing left in AEW for me is

and

Kenny to run his mouth and that coin drop to play

It’s not the only thing but it is absolutely the biggest thing

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    BIG

DICK

TONY

we’re open Friday Live with The Buy In online at 9 ET/8 CT @suzuki_D_minoru vs. @bryandanielson

I don't understand the significance of this

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    BIG

DICK

TONY

I don't understand the significance of this

As far as talent go it’s a huge match not so much for the US only fans but for the global wrestling fan it is

Also it’s one of those dream matches for Bryan that he left WWE for

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    YouTube also means it will be globally accessible and not have commercial breaks

It is currently really fucking annoying to watch Rampage here (you can only watch it on the TSN website after logging in) so this is easier to sell folks on in Canada at least

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I should have changed my birthday weekend plans to Miami and made Dynamite tickets my birthday gift. Really messed that up.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Tonight’s Dark Elevation is off to an Eddie and Paul start. I’m only 2 matches in but we’ve already got
    - Eddie pronouncing Penelope as “peena-lope” all match
    - “You gonna get the last word in again?” “Yeah just waiting for them to count me down, 3, 2, 1, Peena-lope!”
    - (Eddie starts talking over Paul) “Go ahead Shooo aaahhh!” (Just going with the fact he almost called him “Show”)

And later in this same episode… that match with Janella and Crowbar was rough. I mean, Northern Lights Suplex using a chair? Cool. The ref seeing it but not calling a DQ and Janella just gets up and does his finisher? Not so much.

Blue Meanie? Hell yeah.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    All the other IWA's do so much work for Mid-South not to be scummiest and they all seem happy to do that work.

I remember developing a big morbid curiosity with IWA Mid South in the late 2000s because they were putting on the most garbage wrestling-ass garbage wrestling in front of literally four or five people for some shows. This was a promotion that once booked CM Punk vs Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio. At the time other promotions like CHIKARA and PWG were growing an audience on Youtube they were posting highlight videos where there were as many people working a match as there were in the audience. People talk about IMPACT as being an unkillable cockroach of a company but IWA:MS has gone on multiple hiatuses and closed at least twice. Again, this is a company that has had like half the current WWE and AEW roster come through at some point.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Cello wrote: »
    YouTube also means it will be globally accessible and not have commercial breaks

It is currently really fucking annoying to watch Rampage here (you can only watch it on the TSN website after logging in) so this is easier to sell folks on in Canada at least

It's on the apps, too.

...assuming they're working on a given week.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    At this point it's never in question that AEW is going to do the better show, it's just if people are going to actually watch it.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    My primary issue with all this talk of being the better show is it puts him and the rest of his team in the headspace that they always need to "win". Which means even less time for women because they "don't draw".

Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.