Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honestly, I feel the best thing you can do when there's competition is not mention the competition. Or just say things like "we're gonna put out the best show we can" instead of trying to make comparisons.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So 5 years ago today there was this bonkers show in rinky dink Yakima, WA that I attended

Here is about half the card:
    4awypshihuq4.png

I ended up at the private after-party at a rented out bar because a few people I trained with were also on the card (who were also my ride) and that's how I ended up doing a shot (my first and only shot ever) with Rey Mysterio Jr.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Honestly, I feel the best thing you can do when there's competition is not mention the competition. Or just say things like "we're gonna put out the best show we can" instead of trying to make comparisons.

There's that too. When AEW started they talked a good game about how more wrestling was good for everyone and that they didn't want to make a big thing about being the opposite of WWE, which I think everyone thought was a good idea. (Some of this was said to counter Seth Rollins showing his whole ass and complaining that AEW was stealing bread from his table or some similar nonsense.)

And now it's like, oh no, that appears to have been the entire point because of course it is.

I think what annoys me the most is that they're throwing stones from a glass house. Yes, you're "better" than WWE, but you also have a fledgling women's division, your EVP's + Brand Manager have shut down their social media accounts multiple times because they keep showing their whole ass on Twitter, you're running packed houses during a fucking pandemic, you have alleged sex offenders getting pushed as the future of your company, and you're rapidly running out of room for booking your talent, which sounds oh so familiar.

Like, at least they're not wrestling in SA but jesus that's a low bar that Vince has set for them.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The highlight of that after party was Juvi, Psicosis, MVP and a few others absolutely belting it out when Poison by Bell Biv Devoe came on.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Or

And hear me out here

You could have Cody Rhodes smash Triple H's throne with a sledgehammer

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    You gotta either focus on your own show and do your own thing or be such an antagonist to the other guys that it becomes comical. With the latter at least then when you inevitably fail at some point it's funny.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    If Tony Khan's Friday night war gets me American Dragon vs Murder Grandpa then fucking line it up.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    So in a bit of LOL

Tony was pictured at the Jags game holding the card for Full Gear

So that’s out there now, it can change but it’s mostly complete

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Just to recap the stuff about TK going after the competition

The reasons for that are apparently exclusively cause

A) WWE going out of their way to sit a half hour of SD commercial free against Rampage

B) It’s been found out that the fast ratings numbers are being leaked by WWE in an attempt to hurt AEW

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    IMPACT
    @IMPACTWRESTLING
    BREAKING: @FearHavok and @WeAreRosemary will defend the Knockouts Tag Team Titles against @CassieLee and @JessicaMcKay at #BoundForGlory on October 23rd at @samstownlv in Las Vegas!

the IInspiration about to get sent to the Undead Realm in their first match, RIP

• Options
    So I guess a source is saying the WWE cuts have been so severe specifically NXT that 2k has had to cancel two DLC packs for 2k22 and may piviot to a different method of distributing roster updates

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    My brother is into swing dance/lindy hop. A few years ago when the family was together for christmas, he was showing some of his performance clips and I commented that he and I basically do the same thing except he intends people to land on their feet.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Catching up on Beyond before tonight's Uncharted Territory and I am all in on this tag team called "9 to 5."

They don't need fans, because they have jobs.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    All respect to Alex Shelley, but I am absolutely miffed that he came in out of nowhere and beat Wheeler YUTA for the title.

After his draw with Daniel Garcia in August, four challengers stood up to YUTA - Trish Adora, A Very Good Professional Wrestler, Matt Makowski, and Marcus Mathers. And they all had the credentials. Adora and Very Good are both reigning and defending champions in their own right and took issue with YUTA claiming that he held the only championship that matters in indie wrestling. Makowski won Beyond's Greatest Rivals round robin tournament, defeating YUTA himself in the process. And Mathers won a #1 contender ladder match earlier in the evening, essentially earning a money in the bank contract. But none of them even got a chance!

I get the politics of it all, but for a company that is known for putting a focus on their stories this is pretty disappointing.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The G1 has been wild this year
    Tama Tonga beat Okada clean and Jeff Cobb set a new points record.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    All respect to Alex Shelley, but I am absolutely miffed that he came in out of nowhere and beat Wheeler YUTA for the title.

After his draw with Daniel Garcia in August, four challengers stood up to YUTA - Trish Adora, A Very Good Professional Wrestler, Matt Makowski, and Marcus Mathers. And they all had the credentials. Adora and Very Good are both reigning and defending champions in their own right and took issue with YUTA claiming that he held the only championship that matters in indie wrestling. Makowski won Beyond's Greatest Rivals round robin tournament, defeating YUTA himself in the process. And Mathers won a #1 contender ladder match earlier in the evening, essentially earning a money in the bank contract. But none of them even got a chance!

I get the politics of it all, but for a company that is known for putting a focus on their stories this is pretty disappointing.

Especially weird considering they were building the match vs Makowski the day before he lost the belt.

It kind of feels like after Warhorse's long run they wanted to have it move around a lot. I kind of like somebody winning the belt out of nowhere instead of everything building to a specific match as it adds an anything can happen element.

• Options
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

Especially weird considering they were building the match vs Makowski the day before he lost the belt.

It kind of feels like after Warhorse's long run they wanted to have it move around a lot. I kind of like somebody winning the belt out of nowhere instead of everything building to a specific match as it adds an anything can happen element.

Surprise title changes are all well and cool, this one just felt kinda weird.

Anyway, loved Makowski's logic of "YUTA refuses to defend the title against me so I'm gonna beat the shit out of Davey Richards." Weapon X knows what I like.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Very Good = Dasher Hatfield, right?

I always enjoyed his work. Unsure what his goals are or if he even has a chance of rising higher, but he's good.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

He’s big, he’s cool, he’s sexy! Kefin and Jo learn all about the master of working smart - not hard: Kevin Nash.

MATCH LIST

Diesel vs Bret Hart @ Survivor Series for the World Title (1995)

Kevin Nash vs Goldberg for the WCW Championship @ Starrcade (1998)

Kevin Nash vs Triple H in a Sledgehammer Ladder Match @ TLC (2011)

RECOMMENDED BONUS VIEWING

Kevin Nash vs Ravioli

Paparazzi Productions

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Very Good = Dasher Hatfield, right?

I always enjoyed his work. Unsure what his goals are or if he even has a chance of rising higher, but he's good.

Yep!

I know he did a Dark match recently but haven't seen it, I'd be pretty surprised if it turns into something more. He opened up a bit during his iwtv doc about how seeing so many of the guys he came up with go on to much bigger things has affected him, and it seems like he's just grateful to still be wrestling in general. He's a super solid veteran to have on the indies and wrestling newer folks for as long as he's willing to do it.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Suzuki’s gonna have some matches in Impact

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Hasn't Impact suffered enough?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Finally the Cardona - Suzuki dream match can happen. I take it you've all been following the build on Cardona's Japanese twitter alt-account?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Put Suzuki in the Impact Spooky Wrestling Division, tell me you don't wanna see Suzuki fighting ghosts and demons and minotaurs and in a perfect world The Fiend.

Granted he is not on his own a supernatural entity, but he is Minoru Suzuki, and that feels like it should qualify him.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Put Suzuki in the Impact Spooky Wrestling Division, tell me you don't wanna see Suzuki fighting ghosts and demons and minotaurs and in a perfect world The Fiend.

Granted he is not on his own a supernatural entity, but he is Minoru Suzuki, and that feels like it should qualify him.

He's fought a mecha-mummy thats got to qualify you for the spooky division.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Minoru Suzuki is an anime character, he will piledrive a minotaur no questions asked

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Hard disagree that Minoru Suzuki isn't a supernatural entity tbh.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Hard disagree that Minoru Suzuki isn't a supernatural entity tbh.

I wrote out that sentence, paused, and debated it internally tbh

• Options
    I get he has to talk down the competition but man these press quotes from Reigns are just so silly

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Turn on the stream Tony.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Did folks see this one?

They've hired Amanda Huber to be on their community outreach team for the charity work they do city to city.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    30 minutes for Bryan and Suzuki? Let's fuckin' go.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    30 minutes for Bryan and Suzuki? Let's fuckin' go.

It's a shame that forearm fuckin' killed Bryan five minutes in.

• Options
    ALL

THE

STARS

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Why does Jr. dos Santos look like he's the love child of Sagat and Randy Orton?

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    whoops wrong thread lol

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    That Bryan vs Suzuku match was insane and awesome. I dont think id like to see all of my matches like that, but it definitely shows how excellent a match can be without showing off a ton of crazy athleticism, but focusing on storytelling, technical prowess, and pain thresholds.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I have no idea who Suzuki is, but after watching his match tonight, I can't imagine any world where he could exist in WWE.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.