As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Stilllllll heeeeeeeere

Actually got co-opted to announce numbers for the drawing for swag that they had. I guess something about my character qualified for Hey Here's Somebody Who'll Be A Loud Motherfucker For 20 Miinutes.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Got a cream ale started yesterday, the kit's a few year's old (look I've been busy) so hopefully the yeast is still good, we'll see!

TEcZvq4l.jpg

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    $7 happy hour pint
    Holy balls inflation

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Popped a bottle of my mead since it's been a month and I'm pretty much over the covid

Most of the alcohol hotness is gone but it is quite dry. Though I like it. Kind of tastes like a dry cider but more floral.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I am interested in your process and would like to subscribe to your mead delivery service.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I am interested in your process and would like to subscribe to your mead delivery service.

I will absolutely pay money and shipping for Uriel to ship me mead to Taiwan.

• Options
    This was good, I expected a little more of a lime punch out of it and the flavors are more subtle but it's pretty decent.

m77QyvPl.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    coc667en576w.png

Man, I don't know if they messed up the brew since the last time I tried this or if I've just had undiagnosed Covid that wrecked my tastebuds, but this beer is way worse now. Any orange flavor is entirely overpowered by strong notes of charcoal briquette. Which is a shame, because I remember it being a pretty good fruity stout.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I buy every beer I see that’s supposed to be orange flavored and I swear maybe 2% of them actually pull it off.

• Options
    Flying Dog's mimosa flavored beer is the best orange testing beer I've ever had, citrus is pretty assertive so you wouldn't think getting orange through would be that hard.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finally got around to grabbing a few new porters to try. Really looking forward to these two.
    1615503893067mkaksasasassa-350-937.jpg
    1623658507440Untitled-1dcddc-Recovered-Recovered-Recovered-350-937.png

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

White Chocolate Porter is amazing. Definitely a dessert beer. Sweet start, white chocolate definitely comes through, slightly bitter finish. This is going to be permanently stocked in my fridge.

Peanut Butter Porter unofrtunately tastes nothing like Peanut Butter. It's not bad, but it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    New Belgium makes a wonderful mimosa beer called Dominga. I love mimosas so it's a steady beer on my rotation.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The local brewery next to the meadery has a new Belgian strong blonde ale called "We Run This" and it was a collab between the big local female brewers in the upstate and it's dope as fuck

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    The local brewery next to the meadery has a new Belgian strong blonde ale called "We Run This" and it was a collab between the big local female brewers in the upstate and it's dope as fuck

i'm on my way

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    i0nxw0prdizp.jpg

Almost two months old at this point. It tastes noticably better from last bottle I opened. It's also super clear from being in the fridge for this long.

It's much smoother and less alcohol forward, but I think it could still mellow out a little more.

• Options
    I will say as I get towards the bottom of the glass it is starting to taste... Yeasty? Probably should have racked it to a second container to age a month before bottling it.

Also good thing it's in the fridge because there is actually some co2 in this.

• Options
    Cheap and refreshing summertime favorite
    naiugted4lfl.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Cheap and refreshing summertime favorite
    naiugted4lfl.jpg

https://youtu.be/eiCbMLWDDMo

Bitburger? Das beste!

• Options
    Posted here and also in the Spirits thread.

Alright so I officially have 8 or 9 gallons of base mead that we pulled from our fermentation tank that is all mine to fuckicate with.

Here's what I'm thinking: at first I wanted to do a wheat beer influenced infusion but now I'm thinking maybe I try to make an homage to my favorite Belgian beer, the Tripel Karmaleit.

I need to do some more research but I think I can get hold of Styrian Golding hops maybe which give off some resin and white pepper. That distinct banana taste comes from their home cultured yeast combo'ing with the Steiermark hops which I'm not going to have or will need since the primary fermentation is already done. I don't know if I want to try and replicate banana notes in a mead unless I do like, a one day soak with some ripe nanners. Otherwise I want to maybe run vanilla, and then definitely some orange and lemon for that citrus. The only thing that might be missing here is the wheat malt since that would technically make it a braggot and that is illegal for a winery to make in South Carolina!

Conversely, since mead do be sweet, I could go the dubbel route and lean into brown sugars, fruit and spice. Though, our brown ale inspired mead is... not my favorite.

Anybody with any more brewing experience is welcome to offer ideas here since I'm very new to brewing and also working with mead.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    8 gallons is a decent amount to mess with

Since it's basically a finished base mead you could always take a quart growler and fill it and experiment with very small batches that way.

Then you can just scale up your recipe from that to make 5 gallons or so of whatever you land on.

That would be the process I would do, because that way you get like 12 experiment batches before you have to worry about a 5 gallon recipe at all. Just get like 3 or 4 growlers and a few small nylon steeping bags.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    That's more or less exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I need to see if my buddy is wanting to split it and do something of his own.

• Options
    You could even go smaller than a growler for certain additions you might go glass by glass. Like if you find you need more acid or something. But you'll probably want a nice scale to be able to multiply that for the bigger batch

• Options
    Yeah we're doing all this in the meadery so I'm just gonna mooch their stuff as needed. Dry hopping is something we've done a good bit here before so I'm not worried about that, it's mostly the banana because I don't think we've ever tried to snag that flavor profile before.

• Options
    Sapporo has purchased Stone and their outstanding debts.

Not super surprising. The writing is kind of on the wall when you go nearly half a billion in the hole and then cross your fingers that a lawsuit against a multinational will get you out of it.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    They actually lasted longer than I expected. A few years back when they spun off all the aggressive labels into a different company I figured a buyout was for sure imminent.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Haven’t had a stone beer in ages, haven’t seen them around my parts much lately. Hope the brewery is still there by early 2024 when I will finally be able to take my trip I had planned for mid 2021.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, when I first got into craft beer I would have called Stone my favorite brewer.

But then I branched out a lot more and Stone kind of got left behind and I’m good not revisiting them much anymore.

I miss the timed Drink By series though

• Options
    Stone is one of the few non-local beers I'll still pick up if the right variety comes along. There's just nothing like Xocoveza, and that Green Tea IPA they did was one of the best non-sour summer beers I've ever had.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like Stone is safe. They don’t make any particularly BAD beers so you know you’re going to at least get something drinkable

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I first got into craft beer I would have called Stone my favorite brewer.

But then I branched out a lot more and Stone kind of got left behind and I’m good not revisiting them much anymore.

I miss the timed Drink By series though

I normally do like their Enjoy By series, but man the 4th of July DIPA this year... well it just tastes meaty and off in a not great way.

• Options
    I was just coming to post about Stone and how I'm annoyed that the only way I can get RuinTen right now is in a multi pack with a beer I can't stand (Delicious)

But yeah, they over extended and sad to see, but very expected.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Stone was actually my first craft beer. I started off on Guinness (because I have always been That Fucking Guy,) and my Coors-drinking parents thought that was such a bold and exotic choice that I ended up with an oversized bottle of Arrogant Bastard in my stocking one Christmas home from college.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Was reading up on the Stone sale...

"The recent moves in the beer industry mean San Diego, once considered a craft beer capital, will have no locally owned representatives in the Brewers Association's top 50."

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/stone-brewing-acquired-by-japanese-brewery-sapporo-for-165-million/2979701/

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    'Once considered' - yeah okay fuck that, it's still a beer destination based on quality local joints alone.

• Options
    Also, put another notch on my kick-the-keg-on-a-growler-fill and, thus, free beer for the people at the bar.

Racer 5 for everyone can make you some new friends.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I dunno there's a lot of styles I love but San Diego disappoints on, its hard to even find a shop with wide enough distribution to bring them in from other parts -- too crowded with the 50th and 51st Hazy IPA tryin to be the next big one.

I would really kill for some really good Cascadian Dark Ales or some Baltic Porters.

• Options
    I don't know how you begin to assemble a Top 50 beers list with the sheer number of microbrewers that are out there. I'm in an area that's a little spoiled for choice so my perspective might be a little skewed but I could go to a different microbrewery every weekend and not have to repeat or drive farther than an hour in like three or four months.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't know how you begin to assemble a Top 50 beers list with the sheer number of microbrewers that are out there. I'm in an area that's a little spoiled for choice so my perspective might be a little skewed but I could go to a different microbrewery every weekend and not have to repeat or drive farther than an hour in like three or four months.

Well you're blessed to live in a medium-sized metropolitan area, I guess.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think the list is based off of production and not a quality ranking