As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It's summer

I want a wheat beer

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Not Your Father's Root beer had an higher ABV version on tap in Chicago. Ordering one is the last thing I remember before waking up on the floor of my buddies apartment.

Still had my shoes on.

Anything else?

• Options
    Anyone tried calfé from rhinegeist? Their beer is literally everywhere now where I live but I am pretty curious about that one. It's a coffee milk stout.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Not Your Father's Root beer had an higher ABV version on tap in Chicago. Ordering one is the last thing I remember before waking up on the floor of my buddies apartment.

Still had my shoes on.

I believe that one was not your grandfathers root beer.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    It's summer

I want a wheat beer

For traditional cloudy wheat I always find my way back to Hoegaarden and it never dissapoints.

On the more modern side, Golden Road does a wheat ale called Mango Cart that is fantastic if you like a fruity hefe.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I got a pack of blue moon Belgian white for this afternoon because all the Kroger had in the craft beer section was IPAs

Well they had some rhinegeist stuff too but mostly the IPAs. Not the coffee stout I wanna try.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    jicu21qsa4uw.png

Cherry lemonade sour.

You remember those big old chewy Sweet Tarts? This tastes exactly like those. Not a subtle or well-balanced sour, but if you want to spend an afternoon getting all fucked up on giant chewy Sweet Tarts I give this my highest recommendation.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    jicu21qsa4uw.png

Cherry lemonade sour.

You remember those big old chewy Sweet Tarts? This tastes exactly like those. Not a subtle or well-balanced sour, but if you want to spend an afternoon getting all fucked up on giant chewy Sweet Tarts I give this my highest recommendation.

Yes…yes I do.

Wonder if I can find this here

Of course not

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Cross post from the old, dead beer thread I posted in accidentally and definitely not because I'm drinking a 10% imperial maple syrup and pecan stout.

lck52dvytwbn.jpg

Edmunds Oast Cordial Offering is like drinking blackstrap molasses, fighting your dad, losing and then falling face first into some Carolina pluff mud and never being seen again.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Edmunds Oast Cordial Offering is like drinking blackstrap molasses, fighting your dad, losing and then falling face first into some Carolina pluff mud and never being seen again.

Yes, I'd like a case.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I just spent forty bucks on a bottle of beer I'm not allowed to talk about until Sunday.

I blame NASA for not coming out with a Lego Perseverance rover in a timely fashion, leaving me with no sensible investment options.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    It is so sweet. I'm not getting a lot of pecan tho, but there is a touch of like, dark chocolate, or maybe coffee bean bitterness on the back end. But it drinks like syrup.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone send me a bunch of beer

• Options
    98fhg6vwtg14.png

Imperial Stout aged for a year in bourbon barrels.

Definitely delicious, and it was fun to get in on an extremely limited run. Not something I've done before.

Probably wouldn't spend forty bucks for a second bottle, but not sorry I bought the first one. Definitely something I'd like to give away as a gift if the opportunity ever presented itself.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Breakside's best beer of their 10-year anniversary collab-series last year was Wanderjack, no question.

Any beer made between them and Barley Brown's was going to be magic and it was a little sad drinking it knowing it was a one time deal.

But lo and behold - THEY BROUGHT IT BAAAAAAACK.

u3gnb4p16tqg.png

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    3vjbgh35kdci.jpeg

This is REALLY smooth

• Options
    0v1gk7gfnq6i.jpeg

Imperial sour with passion fruit, peach, orange, tangerine, vanilla, and marshmallow

It’s sooooooo good

• Options
    I would like a beers.

But alas I am working all weekend and cannot have a beers.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Snip

Imperial sour with passion fruit, peach, orange, tangerine, vanilla, and marshmallow

It’s sooooooo good

*They had us in the first half meme

Not a fan of peach but citrus, vanilla, marshmallow is an intriguing base

• Options
    I'm gonna try and make a beer I think.

Just a real simple ale to start out but being kinda brewery/winery adjacent I've gotten a taste of the brewing bug and I want to try my hand at it.

• Options
    b6mvb6pdi0c8.jpeg

Deliciously dank

• Options
    t9sou65ym1s5.jpeg

10.1%

Say goodbye to Sober Steve

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Bye!

• Options
    Beer supplies got! I'm excited, gonna make a heffe.

The home brew supply shop is also a brewery and it is legit maybe some of the best beer I've ever had? Like, it is a tiny hole in the wall shop nobody knows about and holy shit this marzen? Phenomenal. The molé imperial stout? One of the best imperial stouts I've ever had. It's all small batch, zero distribution whatsoever. Like, you can only get this beer here.

I'm currently hanging out in the production area. This is so fun.

• Options
    Speaking of, would it make sense to start a home brew thread or does this thread suffice for any home brew shenanigans?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    There was a time when Ballast Point had a small tap room inside their home brew store. Like 12 taps, 5 high tops, no chairs, and one TV. It was the perfect spot to walk to, have like two beers while watching Jeopardy, and then walk home. They'd also regularly have their R&D beers on tap there so you got to see stuff evolve from concept to production.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, would it make sense to start a home brew thread or does this thread suffice for any home brew shenanigans?

There's a home brew thread in D&D if you don't mind poking around over there. You could probably just keep it in here rather than a separate thread otherwise.

• Options
    That seems easier so I will do that.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea the old Beer thread did double duty when a bunch of us were brewing. A hobby I'd like to get back into at some point.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I picked up an 8 gallon kettle, auto siphon and spoon (plus my malts, yeast, hops and sugars) but my friend is gonna let me use his fermenters and spare bottles they never used when doing mead stuff. So I'm pretty much set up for my first batch.

I'm already eyeing the fast fermenter, though.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I think after I sign my lease and know for sure I'm going to be here another year I'm going to start a mead. If I do a low gravity one it shouldn't take too long but still.

I think I wanna figure a good base hydromel recipe out and maybe add other sugars and flavors in a secondary stage in subsequent batches. Because with lower gravity batches (like a little over half gallon or so honey per 5 gallon batch of mead) the honey I have will last me a very long time.

I think though waiting till winter will oddly enough help me make sure the honey is liquid. Because I can rotate it near the heater vent for like a week or so and that should help let it run better.

Beer seems much harder than mead what with needing a kettle and more ingredients and what all.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Depends on the beer really. If you buy pre processed malts and such its not really all that complicated. But yeah mead is generally a simpler mix.

• Options
    The thing that would get me is just I don't like a very hoppy beer so that takes half the fun out of home brewing beer I think since I would not be going heavy on like seasonal hops or anything. Though I guess the are also different malts and additional sugars and stuff to try.

Maybe I will give that a try someday.

• Options
    Malts, wheat and sugar added. Gonna throw in 25% of my hops on the first half of my boil and then the last 75% on the back half of the boil to try and get a little less bitterness and more of the flavor.

I feel like a proud father. I just hope it doesn't fail me spectacularly.

ovcvcocfpxsa.jpg

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    On a road trip up to my hometown and stopped for food in Dayton and went to two breweries, both good, but the second one just felt like home. I love that it felt that way, but am bummed I won't visit often.

So the point is go to Toxic Brewing in Dayton if you can.

It is helped by us coming when they have the wholestreet shut down for outside dining and businesses showing off.

• Options
    The Heffernut is racked and I have a feeling it's gonna turn out awful. But also I don't care this is fun.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    If this is now the hombrew thread, I really need to take a picture of my setup on my next brewday. I went wayyyyyy too deep down the rabbit hole, but at least in an economical way rather than buying all the custom Spike or SS Brewtech gear.

I brew on 240v with my Anvil in my basement. But after my first two brews, I noticed I had a definite steam problem, boiling off over a gallon of water in an hour was definitely going to lead to mold. To deal with it, I did a lot of research and hacked together a DIY steam condenser with some off the rack triclamp parts, and a spray mist head from McMaster Carr plumbed to my cold water line. Works great, DMS is not an issue. I can keep a strong rolling boil with only 50% power now. I use Kerry Fermcap-S to help keep protein break to a minimum.

Then on the cold-side I got a buddy in the industry to get me a 1/4bbl slim sanke keg to use as my new fermentation vessel. Bought a sanke ball lock converter cap that allows me to use my existing ball lock disconnects for the sanke for purposes of transfer and blow off, and added a floating dip tube. Rather than just blowing off into a jar of star san, I installed a MFL bulkhead in my fermentation mini-fridge that allows me to plumb the gas out line to a sanitized corny keg with a spunding valve on it. The massive amount of CO2 fermentation produces purges the keg of 99.9999% oxygen (somebody did a 2 page forum post with the math at Homebrewtalk forums). Since everything is in pressure vessels, I also do varying levels of pressure fermentation. Cold crash then rack to the purged corny keg.

I can also dry hop with minimal risk of oxidation by blowing a steady 5psi through the floating dip tube while I remove the cap and drop the hops, creating a very positive pressure from inside the keg to prevent oxygen from getting in.

From there it goes into a spare fridge we had in our basement that I turned into a full kegerator. Drilled the door to keep the CO2 tank outside and has room for 4 cornys, and has 4 taps. One tap is dedicated to a Topo Chico sparkling mineral water clone that we kill a keg of every couple weeks.

Edit: just brewed on Saturday. My second batch of a Kolsch that went way too quickly for the first go-around. It came out as a perfect light summer crusher, so my friend group requested that I make a full keg for our labor day festivities. Had to get started now so that it has time to lager and clear up.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    I just boiled the stuffs in a big pot and then shlorped it into a bucket maybe I should try all of *gestures vaguely* that next time.

• Options
    Real talk, a Kölsch is my main target once I get more experience and maybe some better equipment.

The best one I ever had (that wasn't from Cologne, Germany I guess,, but you just don't really see those) was the honeyed Kölsch from Brewery 85 here in SC, but I don't think they ever made it again. I'd like to try and recreate something similar to that. I'm gonna need a way to adjust temps up and down though which means probably trying to find and modify a little refrigerator and I'd rather not do any of that until I have a better idea of what exactly the fuck I'm doing.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Real talk, a Kölsch is my main target once I get more experience and maybe some better equipment.

The best one I ever had (that wasn't from Cologne, Germany I guess,, but you just don't really see those) was the honeyed Kölsch from Brewery 85 here in SC, but I don't think they ever made it again. I'd like to try and recreate something similar to that. I'm gonna need a way to adjust temps up and down though which means probably trying to find and modify a little refrigerator and I'd rather not do any of that until I have a better idea of what exactly the fuck I'm doing.

What's your basement like for temperature? While most Kolsch strains like it on the cooler side of ale temps, the Omega Kolsch II yeast can take warmer temperatures in the high 60s.

Simpsonia on