Options

[Guardians of the Galaxy] Squeenix finally makes good CLOSED SPOILERS

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Got the game yesterday and it's wonderful.

But man, out of all the characters in this you force me to play the most bland straight white guy and not as the raccoon? Still, the story is fantastic and I love the dialog. It's like playing a Marvel Movie and I 100% intend this as a compliment.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

But man, out of all the characters in this you force me to play the most bland straight white guy and not as the raccoon? Still, the story is fantastic and I love the dialog. It's like playing a Marvel Movie and I 100% intend this as a compliment.

If you want that, you'll need to go for a Lego game.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How close am I to the end?
    I just went back to Knowhere, and Andy WarholAmy WindsockAdam Warlock is having a Superman Fight with Unarmed Raker.
    I assume I'm getting close since everyone but Groot has unlocked their Character Development move.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I really wish this game would let its dialogue play out instead of interrupting itself whenever I choose an option

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Finished this morning - really enjoyed the game so much more than I expected to.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    How close am I to the end?
    I just went back to Knowhere, and Andy WarholAmy WindsockAdam Warlock is having a Superman Fight with Unarmed Raker.
    I assume I'm getting close since everyone but Groot has unlocked their Character Development move.
    There is more after that point than you would think but you are getting there.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I’m about halfway through and this is shaping up to be my game of the year. It’s just absolutely wonderful. I genuinely think the combat is not only fun, but inventive and visually arresting. I love the variety of moves you can do, the huddle mechanic, the team ups, the environmental commands. It’s perfect. The story is absolutely thrilling and a perfect sci fi planet hopper, the art direction is gorgeous, the writing and dialogue is just perfect. It does get cut off a fair amount, but it still largely works, and I frankly want to play again to see some of the options

What an absolute delight

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Okay this has to be the final chapter:
    Launching my assault on Sacrosanct, Lady H is riding a dragon, she just threw me my Walkman and I caught in the most metal QTE ever (only remembering Photo Mode existed when it was too late, I want a rewind feature on those modes), and now the Best Boy turned up with a disembodied giant head that still has functioning laser eyesfully armed and operational Celestial Head.
    I'm definitely going to play this again after I'm done, it feels like a lot of choice could have significant outcomes, and I've missed a ton of outfits and collectables (I got a trophy when I picked up the last one and though 'oh great, I got them all'. Then I read it, and it's for getting half of them. Half?! I'm OCD about looking for these things, so I've missed a lot more than I thought.

klemming on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Just finished the game. It was most excellent. I do hope it does well.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m about halfway through and this is shaping up to be my game of the year. It’s just absolutely wonderful. I genuinely think the combat is not only fun, but inventive and visually arresting. I love the variety of moves you can do, the huddle mechanic, the team ups, the environmental commands. It’s perfect. The story is absolutely thrilling and a perfect sci fi planet hopper, the art direction is gorgeous, the writing and dialogue is just perfect. It does get cut off a fair amount, but it still largely works, and I frankly want to play again to see some of the options

What an absolute delight

I'm at Chapter 9 currently, and this is a good-ass game. And yeah, I wish the dialog could play out instead of being cut off by your choice or because you entered a New Banter area. More games need the Oxenfree dialog system, damnit. It's one of the most perfect dialog systems I've ever seen in a game.

But yeah, Guardians is a really damn good game.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Damn trying to get all the achievements but some are definitely bugged, I’ve done the groot canal move like 10 times and the achievement doesn’t pop. Same with some of the collectables, It wasn’t counting collectable costumes properly so I tried starting a new game and collected them all and still nothing. Damnit game, Let me show my love to you through achievements!

Prohass on
  • Options
    Damn trying to get all the achievements but some are definitely bugged, I’ve done the groot canal move like 10 times and the achievement doesn’t pop. Same with some of the collectables, It wasn’t counting collectable costumes properly so I tried starting a new game and collected them all and still nothing. Damnit game, Let me show my love to you through achievements!

Did you equip all the costumes as well? I think the achievement specifically mentions doing that. Though I haven't gotten that one yet, so I can't say if it's bugged for me or not (all costume for everyone except Gamora, who I never found anything for, for some reason).
    The only trophies I've got left to get are the all costumes one,
    paying my fine (I looked up the different endings, and I think the not paying one is more fitting, TBH),
    and killing 15 staggered enemies with the trashy charge shot that I never use because it's touchy to trigger and it's tricky to get them weak enough to kill with it, then stagger them without the others finishing them off.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    This game was not on my radar but all the good word of mouth sold me on this.

I'm on Chapter 5. It's very fun so far.

• Options
    It's actually pretty on-brand for GotG to be getting an 'It's good, actually' response. I remember the movie announcement being held as evidence that Marvel had lost the plot.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I keep forgotting it exists and have only used it twice since the turorial, but I love the goofiness of the huddle mechanic. It is inspired. Kudos to whoever on the development team came up with it!

• Options
    And Platinumed!
    I got the shot this time:
    z7ec15alzzns.jpg
    Hello, new desktop background.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Rolled credits. What a good-ass video game.

But that story, and the voice acting, and all that dialog. Even the weakest part, the combat, got really fun once I got the hang of it.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    And Platinumed!
    z7ec15alzzns.jpg

The only story thing that dissapointed me is they don’t explain where they got those suits from

Prohass on
  • Options
    And Platinumed!
    z7ec15alzzns.jpg

You know what would've been pretty neat?
    If they could've tied an achievement to that. Something like 'Album Cover (Take a Screenshot at the right time)'

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    So if you don’t pay the fine how do you get that achievement? Do you have to basically start a new game? Or does replaying the chapter where you spend your money and instead keeping it carry over to later chapters? Similarly can you just chapter hop to get the costume achievement, or do you have to do a fresh game from scratch?

• Options
    So if you don’t pay the fine how do you get that achievement? Do you have to basically start a new game? Or does replaying the chapter where you spend your money and instead keeping it carry over to later chapters? Similarly can you just chapter hop to get the costume achievement, or do you have to do a fresh game from scratch?
    I just did a NG+ on easy as I was hunting for all the collectibles I missed, but if you had the money, you can just replay the chapter where you're asked to pay, and the trophy pops as soon as you do.
    Otherwise I think you'd have to go back to whenever you lost the money and make sure you keep hold of enough. No idea if you can chapter hop forwards, but I'd doubt it.

For the completionists, I think it's possible to buy everything that gives you a lore entry and still pay the fine.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    And Platinumed!
    z7ec15alzzns.jpg

The only story thing that dissapointed me is they don’t explain where they got those suits from

I think those are the costumes Rocket ordered (the note in his quarters mentions them)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    And Platinumed!
    z7ec15alzzns.jpg

I think those are the costumes Rocket ordered (the note in his quarters mentions them)

There are so many notes and hidden details. I completely missed the entire lipless sequence on my first run. Just a great game packed with so much detail

Also I love the underside detail of the creature in klemmings spoilered post, that and the plants on the lady hellbender planet that are blowing in the storm are some real “look at how much polygons we can do!” show-off tech and I’m here for it

Prohass on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Beat the game last night. Fantastic all the way through. Great characters, great action, fantastic story with some real heart and stakes.

I ended up beating Raker to the tune of Rick Astley, which was perfection lol.

Seriously though, this is my favorite game of the year. Such a great game. I'll be playing through it again quickly to mop up the last few trophies.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    If you are playing through again, sell the other one.

• Options
    Error wrote: »
    If you are playing through again, sell the other one.

Yeah the difference between selling groot/rocket is pretty great in terms of making a completely different experience for that level

• Options
    Yea, I sold Groot the first time. I will be selling Rocket this time just to see what changes. Very much looking forward to it. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    This game has been really great. I am at the point where we are inside of
    Drax's mind

It's been a bit confusing with the game clearly using more canon comic style stuff compared with the movie, so I'm often a bit lost initially when certain characters appear and act in a way almost entirely different to the way I expect. It's always worked out for the best for the most part once I readjust my expectations - those of you at this part of the game can probably guess which character I am talking about. One thing I would say comes across very clearly from GotG is a deep love of the source material, from the huge amount of dialog in this game to the detail put into just about everywhere you go. Also I was not expecting the whole thing when you go to Knowhere and meet
    Cosmo, the psychic Russian Labrador?!?!?!

It's just all so incredibly good.

Edit: Finished. Fabulous experience. Some fights felt a bit grindy towards the end, but it was well worth playing. Honestly so happy this was a good solid single player game and not some kind of GaaS multiplayer mess.

The amount of dialog in this game is incredible. I don’t think they ever shut up and because the majority of it is so good it was well worth listening to. I just wish the pace of the game wouldn’t cut off dialog so much.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    As a fan of the comics, I was so happy that Mantis was more like her comic book self than her movie self. Also Cosmo showing up made me squeal. He is the best boy.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I absolutely loved this game. After pondering it for a few days, nothing has made me this happy in a long time. It's wonderfully written and put together, with everyone getting time in the spotlight and while the gameplay felt a bit bullet spongey at times, I didn't mind that as it frequently changes things up/environments.

I have to say though, I don't know how I feel about a game where all my companions comment on my need to explore every inch of a space. I felt self-conscious guys! What if there was a new costume to wear?!?!?

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It was funny the first couple times they do it - but they comment every time you wonder off and sometimes the side track was more obvious then the main

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I think it’s funny at first but is also just helpful later on to know this is a side area and so if you just wanna progress you can turn back

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, there's a dedicated thread to this game. Sorry, I missed it.

The game's now down to $29.99 on Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop if you're looking for a deal.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    *closes refrigerator*

• Options
    I did that so many times.

I was legitimately getting very angry with it by the end of the game.

• Options
    Got my platinum on this one. I'm shelving it for now. I'm not going to get all the collectibles since three of them are random vending machine prizes on Knowhere. On my second playthrough I got a duplicate in the machine that I got on my first playthrough. In order to get the other two, I'd have to play two more playthroughs with the hope that no more dupes would happen. Yea, that'll be a no from me. :P

I'm almost kind of wishing I waited to get this when I knew it would go down in price, but honestly, I'm ok that I payed full price. I want to reward high quality single player games that doesn't take advantage of players through predatory GaaS practices. This game is one of my favorites from the year and I'm so happy it's a thing that exists.

It's a game that I'll pull off the shelf and playthrough periodically without a doubt.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Just finished this, brilliant experience. Technically, it's a shit show, but it's a genuine love letter to the Guardians series and because it's based on the comics there are tonnes of cameos and references without the awkwardness of Spider-Man PS4 where every other hero is just absent and barely mentioned.

Yeah they reused some levels I imagine to save time because making all these alien ships and worlds must be a huge timesink but they reworked them each time and it was great to see. The writing is good and the comedy is on point. That one scene where the
    Guardians decide they need some help and ring Lady Hellbender to check if she's still mad, and she just turns and screams before Groot switches it back off. Great timing.

I'm curious how deep the changes go. They obviously don't affect the overall linearity, I messed up the Nikki convincing scene at the end and it just reset me back to do it again for instance. But I freed Cosmo from the Promise and the Worldmind to stand up for the galaxy so they both turned up at the end to help and it specifically noted it was because of things I did. I imagine if I don't convince them I just have to complete the battle arenas they destroyed for me so it's less awesome.

I was actually sad Nikki was not Quill's, I was looking forward to being a space dad. This ties into the scope where after you beat Raker and stop Magus and the credits are rolling but flashing "Magus" I thought that was a tease for a sequel (which I was a bit concerned about as we've just beat the Magus) but no, we get another boss battle and after that we get Quill debating what kind of space step-dad he's going to be. Plenty of setup for Richard Rider and Thanos to return as well and Nebula is always around so I assume she survived Gamora's attack as well.

Why was Nikki dying her hair btw? I thought it'd be because she matched Quill's, I can't imagine it was hiding flame hair that seems to have come from her possession if anything.

Anyway, it's a brilliant piece on grief and accepting it. I like the GOTG films but this is a vastly superior and more entertaining experience.

Technically it's really annoying though. The load times are ridiculous even on a PS4 pro, seems like it's a full minute. And that's every time you die. I rarely died in combat but because it randomly throws in a QTE with no instruction what to do. There's the one every time you unlock a new gun mode where you have to move the analog sticks into the circle but I thought I was meant to move them around the outside. Fourth attempt before I got it, only because I was too slow getting them into the circle on the third, so that was three minutes of loading. Lots of glitches and it was frustrating that dialogue constantly got cut off because you walked too far forward or did something that triggered other dialogue. Visually it's amazing so these technical hindrances are confusing. It was also disappointing that the skins are largely uninteresting and for whatever reason I was always finding Groot or Drax skins, only ever found two for Quill.

I don't know if I'll play it again only because even with alternate choices I don't really play in a negative way so forcing myself through a long campaign just doing the opposite doesn't seem worth it especially as it will ultimately not change the generally linear outcome.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

If you want that, you'll need to go for a Lego game.

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767