Options

[Starfield] Like Oblivion with space ships

Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisanceRegistered User regular
edited June 2022 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/SwGlBuyTdfg

“This is going to sound cliche, but I mean it," Howard said. "When you look up in the sky, there is this drive to know, what is out there? Are we alone? What are the origins of space and time and all of those things? What role does religion play in some of that as well? So, we do get into some big questions. I think a game like this is a good place to do that."

-Todd Howard

What it is: Bethesda going from open world to open universe. Sure to feature all the trademarks you would expect from BGS' usual open world games but shooting for the stars in scope. There are still a lot of unknowns about the game but figured it could use its own topic as Bethesda slowly starts to finally open abit about their game.

When it is: Nov 11 2023.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
Dr. Chaos on

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Official gameplay reveal:

https://youtu.be/jB6-IMamPng

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    seems... fine?

i cannot think of anything in the gameplay that was interesting but hey its a bethesda game

the faces are bad but better bad than fo4 so progress is coming

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I was unsure whether laser weapons were going to make it in, scifi like this sometimes foregos so I was pretty happy to see it mentioned in the background and seen in the combat.

I live for a good laser shotgun.

Also seems to be some suggestion that there will be an element of cybernetics?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Im gonna wait for some youtubers to analyze every frame and menu, because I'm sure there's tons of stuff about systems, etc, that can be inferred from what was shown, that I'd never notice on my own.

But I think I'm actually getting a bit of hype for it, having actively ignored all the leaks and rumors up till now. Now it actually feels like a real thing and I could use a new Bethesda game that I haven't combed over several times.

And if it's "hard" sci-fi, great! With the artifacts or whatever, from the trailer, there's clearly some hint of some other intelligences out there, and there's clearly alien lifeforms of some sort, even if they aren't humanoid and their own civilizations (I mean, plenty of monsters to shoot). Personally I don't need "powers" or anything magic like, or whatever. I'm fine with a more "realistic" sci-fi setting that doesn't have the fantastical stuff. In fact, I think I'd actually prefer it.

If I'm being totally honest, though, I have to say that it almost felt weird that we didn't see something VATS like come into play. I'm just so used to it from the fallout games, and you could see the clear fundamentals of previous Bethesda games in the gameplay that it would have almost felt natural if it suddenly jumped into VATS or whatever they named it. In fact, I'm not convinced there still won't be, in some sort. It's a sci-fi space RPG, there's bound to be some "adrenaline rush" sort of ability that slows down time.

Or not, and maybe they're going much more straight. I guess for some that might be boring, but if they make the other stuff interesting enough, it doesn't have to be. I've seen Firefly mentioned, and I think that could be an apt comparison.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm excited to give it a play through. I hope there is a bit of a template for communities, because god damn my fall out 4 settlements were ugly as fuck and I'd like better structure.

And no one seem excited we're not getting a tumbler system for lock picks! completely new!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm excited to give it a play through. I hope there is a bit of a template for communities, because god damn my fall out 4 settlements were ugly as fuck and I'd like better structure.

And no one seem excited we're not getting a tumbler system for lock picks! completely new!
    I'm pretty ecstatic about it actually.

If we could get rid of that damn word game for hacking, its actually making revolutionary leaps in quality from Fallout.

• Options
    Really I hope we can get like space trucking going. One of the ships they put up looked like it was a hauler, so I wonder if that'll be a thing? I'm sure the normandy will be one of the first modded ships in the game beyond the star wars/trek ships.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Really I hope we can get like space trucking going. One of the ships they put up looked like it was a hauler, so I wonder if that'll be a thing? I'm sure the normandy will be one of the first modded ships in the game beyond the star wars/trek ships.

Ah man that makes me think of Freelancer.

So many good times.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I liked that some of the animals just fled when you approached, nothing amazing or new but neat touch

I think the faces and dialogue animation looked good for the size of the game, like you’re not going to get last of us with a Skyrim style game. Still no real idea on a lot of it

Shooting looked ok, but the planets and environments looked fantastic, great atmosphere.

Mainly just bummed it’s delayed

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pretty excited. The trailer definitely looks like Bethesda Game, In Space (lots of features, large game world, but most systems being light and the world as shallow as a puddle), but I'm here for that.

While it seems to be turning some people off, I'm really liking the grounded hard-scifi(ish) NASA-punk aesthetic and setting they have going on. Spaceship-based space games like Elite Dangerous always feel a little too detached and sterile to me, and I'm very over fantasy-in-space settings.

Not completely sold on how interaction with the game world appears very combat-focused (or the bullet sponge enemies, but mods should make short work of that) but not unexpected. Still looks like a nice game to chill out with.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    As someone whose never played an Elder Scrolls or Fallout, I'm pretty hyped. That trailer was pretty good.

• Options
    I’m mainly excited about the atmosphere and worlds, and they look stunning. Like yeah with 1000 worlds most will be empty, but just as landscapes and kind of vignettes of atmosphere I’ll still love exploring them if they look that good

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m mainly excited about the atmosphere and worlds, and they look stunning. Like yeah with 1000 worlds most will be empty, but just as landscapes and kind of vignettes of atmosphere I’ll still love exploring them if they look that good

I mean I do every ME 1 planet even when a lot of them are nothing. I just love the "what's on the horizon" for years I wanted NMS but with an actual story and that looks like what this is.

At the very least it'll be nice to have a solo spaceship + ground game next gen style.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm very turned off by how weightless the gunplay looked. Like, the first enemy that gets shot up seemingly doesn't react to being shot beyond losing health. I know I shouldn't expect good combat from a Bethesda game, but it was pretty much the first thing shown off after years of them hyping up this game and it left me very unimpressed.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm very turned off by how weightless the gunplay looked. Like, the first enemy that gets shot up seemingly doesn't react to being shot beyond losing health. I know I shouldn't expect good combat from a Bethesda game, but it was pretty much the first thing shown off after years of them hyping up this game and it left me very unimpressed.

It for sure wasn't as exciting or punchy as something like a Destiny or Halo, but I guess I was pleasantly surprised that it at least looked functional; which compared to FO3/4/76, is saying a lot. :lol:

Those games absolutely require VATS, even with its reduced functionality in 76, to be playable. FO4 is definitely an improvement over FO3, but its still so, as you say, weightless, that this still looked like a step up.

By which I mean, the bullets went in the direction the gun was aiming, and that's its own level of success with a Bethesda game. :)

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular

RPG combat partly at fault, perhaps? Guns plus leveled lists can be it really hard for combat to feel punchy, I think. I tend to lower difficulty rates at that point, because I'm more in it to be immersed in the world and story.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

RPG combat partly at fault, perhaps? Guns plus leveled lists can be it really hard for combat to feel punchy, I think. I tend to lower difficulty rates at that point, because I'm more in it to be immersed in the world and story.

Partly, but things like Destiny 2 have amazing feeling gunplay without sacrificing the RPG elements.

Maybe the shooting in this game feels better than it looks, and maybe the gunplay is still lacking a few polish passes to make it look better. Time will tell.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

i mean have bethesda ever released a game where u got the impression a single human being in the entire studio had even heard the term game feel

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Yeah most of their games. I don’t really get why people praise destiny’s shooting so much myself tho. It feels fine, and the pop with a kill is nice, the shooting itself is good, but enemies still stand there and take damage until their health bar goes, it’s not exactly the euphoria engine

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This looks so fucking generic it's almost funny. A big part of the appeal of the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games for me is the setting. The setting here is like Mass Effect from the dollar store.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    This looks so fucking generic it's almost funny. A big part of the appeal of the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games for me is the setting. The setting here is like Mass Effect from the dollar store.

what are u talking about the part where the dude held left click on the p90 clone without really aiming then a grenade showed up with a grenade indicator from 15 years ago didnt thrill u are u high

o respect i didnt realise the double barrel shotgun he swaps to literally doesnt have a muzzle flash

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    +5 xp

• Options
    I mean its the opening combat before any points were spent, I imagine end game you'll probably have like ai partners or turrets or all kinds of shit.

But if you don't want to play it that's fine, no ones forcing you to.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I, meanwhile, am TOTALLY on board with this particular aesthetic, and am absolutely okay with this. Even if everything else is awful I see myself spending Many Hours building ships in the ship editor.

• Options
    Yeah it doesn’t really look like mass effect at all

And the shooting looked fine for an rpg shooting game, the fact that there isn’t a throwing animation for the grenade is something pretty common

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Yeah the ‘utterly generic’ is what’s selling me on the aesthetic. I like hard sci fi more than sci fantasy, so it’s a nice change from something like Mass Effect. The almost NASA-esque suits and ships and modernish looking guns are where it’s at.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I like both; but if I'm being honest, right now the hard sci-fi setting is feeling a lot more appealing than something like Star Trek or Mass Effect would.

It feels more rare, in video games, to go that route, and I appreciate it.

I won't be terribly surprised if there is some of that, and they're holding it back, but at the baseline, the visual design they've got going on that they showed today? I think it's great. Honestly it feels a little weird to hear the perspective that a semi-realistic future setting feels "generic". Maybe it's that we just watched The Martian, Arrival, and Interstellar, recently as a family, but again, I really like the more grounded look they're going for.

I watched the trailer again, though, and definitely noticed a lot more "pre-baked" demo stuff in the gameplay sections, that were likely made expressly for the video and aren't fully representative of what actual gameplay looks like. Also, the gunplay, watching it again, I think feels so off because there is so little impact on the camera or character animation, that you get with more focused shooters like Destiny. I don't think there was a single instance of aiming down the sights, and some of the animations felt canned and certainly not refined. Like, the shotgun had zero kick, the camera didn't move, there was just nothing that would create the feel of what we expect from a shotgun in a modern game, with the sound, animation, etc. There's a decent amount of work to do there, but if it's like any "demo", there's a reasonably good chance that whatever they've got internally in current development is already well ahead of what they used for this gameplay demo.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So it looks like there will be five Attributes, each with around 16 Skills. You start with three Skills unlocked based on your chosen background. Then you can unlock another one every time you level up. Once a Skill is unlocked, it can be ranked up through a "learn by doing" method similar to the Elder Scrolls games.

Physical
    This Attribute seems to be a condensation of the Strength and Endurance Attributes from previous games, specifically the defensive and utility aspects of them.

Confirmed Skill — Wellness: This skill directly increases your max HP.
    Confirmed Skill — Weight Lifting: This skill directly increases your carrying capacity.

Social
    This is your Personality/Charisma Attribute. Wouldn't be a proper CRPG without one!

Confirmed Skill — Persuasion: This skill gives you a higher chance of succeeding in speech checks.
    Confirmed Skill — Diplomacy: This skill allows you to pacify weak enemies without killing them.
    Confirmed Skill — Bargaining: Get better prices when you buy and sell.

The icon of a Skill within this Attribute implies that pickpockiing will also be here. So it might be best to think of this Attribute as any kind of nonviolent interaction with NPCs.

Combat
    This is something I've been hoping Bethesda would do for a while. Taking a whole bunch of redundant offensive Attributes (Agility, Perception, Strength, Luck, etc.), and condensing them into one.

Confirmed Skill — Dueling: Increases damage done with melee weapons.
    Confirmed Skill — Pistol Certification: Increases damage done with pistols.
    Confirmed Skill — Lasers: Increases damage done by lasers.
    Confirmed Skill — Targeting: Increases accuracy and range when not aiming. Ranks up when enemies are killed without aiming.
    Confirmed Skill — Sniper Certification: Decreases noise and sway when using scoped weapons.
    Confirmed Skill — Rapid Reloading: Increases the reload speed of ranged weapons. Ranked up by reloading
    Confirmed Skill — Heavy Weapon Certification: Applies damage resistance while aiming with a heavy weapon. Ranked up by killing enemies with heavy weapons.
    Confirmed Skill — Demolitions: Increases the damage and range of explosives. Ranked up by killing enemies using explosives.
    Confirmed Skill — Ballistics: Increases damage and rang of ballistic weapons. Ranked up by killing enemies with ballistic weapons

Science
    Based on the two confirmed Skills, this Attribute seems to have an emphasis on consumables.

Confirmed Skill — Gastronomy: Can craft unique foods and drinks.
    Confirmed Skill — Medicine: Increases the amount of life regained when using med packs.

Tech
    I imagine this is where most of the non-consumable crafting will go.

Confirmed Skill — Security: This game's hacking Skill.
    Confirmed Skill — Robotics: Increases damage done to robots and turrets.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

Funnily enough that's exactly why I'm interested. I don't give half a shit about vikings, and Fallout's setting has become an incoherent jumbled mess.

I'm glad this seems to be going its own way in going for an industrial-inspired aesthetic over SW-esque space fantasy or ST-esque stark sleekness (which Mass Effect did). It's hard to gauge exactly how the setting as a whole will be used from a single trailer, but this feels like a fine foundation to (hopefully) build on. Very excited to see how modders use this too, with the modularity of the building systems and segregation of planets making new content theoretically easy to bolt-on.

• Options
    So it looks like there will be five Attributes, each with around 16 Skills. You start with three Skills unlocked based on your chosen background. Then you can unlock another one every time you level up. Once a Skill is unlocked, it can be ranked up through a "learn by doing" method similar to the Elder Scrolls games.

Physical
    This Attribute seems to be a condensation of the Strength and Endurance Attributes from previous games, specifically the defensive and utility aspects of them.

Confirmed Skill — Wellness: This skill directly increases your max HP.
    Confirmed Skill — Weight Lifting: This skill directly increases your carrying capacity.

Social
    This is your Personality/Charisma Attribute. Wouldn't be a proper CRPG without one!

Confirmed Skill — Persuasion: This skill gives you a higher chance of succeeding in speech checks.
    Confirmed Skill — Diplomacy: This skill allows you to pacify weak enemies without killing them.
    Confirmed Skill — Bargaining: Get better prices when you buy and sell.

The icon of a Skill within this Attribute implies that pickpockiing will also be here. So it might be best to think of this Attribute as any kind of nonviolent interaction with NPCs.

Combat
    This is something I've been hoping Bethesda would do for a while. Taking a whole bunch of redundant offensive Attributes (Agility, Perception, Strength, Luck, etc.), and condensing them into one.

Confirmed Skill — Dueling: Increases damage done with melee weapons.
    Confirmed Skill — Pistol Certification: Increases damage done with pistols.
    Confirmed Skill — Lasers: Increases damage done by lasers.
    Confirmed Skill — Targeting: Increases accuracy and range when not aiming. Ranks up when enemies are killed without aiming.
    Confirmed Skill — Sniper Certification: Decreases noise and sway when using scoped weapons.
    Confirmed Skill — Rapid Reloading: Increases the reload speed of ranged weapons. Ranked up by reloading
    Confirmed Skill — Heavy Weapon Certification: Applies damage resistance while aiming with a heavy weapon. Ranked up by killing enemies with heavy weapons.
    Confirmed Skill — Demolitions: Increases the damage and range of explosives. Ranked up by killing enemies using explosives.
    Confirmed Skill — Ballistics: Increases damage and rang of ballistic weapons. Ranked up by killing enemies with ballistic weapons

Science
    Based on the two confirmed Skills, this Attribute seems to have an emphasis on consumables.

Confirmed Skill — Gastronomy: Can craft unique foods and drinks.
    Confirmed Skill — Medicine: Increases the amount of life regained when using med packs.

Tech
    I imagine this is where most of the non-consumable crafting will go.

Confirmed Skill — Security: This game's hacking Skill.
    Confirmed Skill — Robotics: Increases damage done to robots and turrets.
    Good ol pickpocketing.

Need to make a lil stealth drone that can grab things for you.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Can't wait for Obsidian to make a better sequel

Looks interesting, premise sounds too "Mass Effect" (alien artifacts that give you visions), but again Bethesda is not quite about story itself, more about the setting and game. Can't wait to see more, love that it's Game Pass day one, which will probably save me money until I can buy the Ultimate HD Re-Release Edition for the price of less than one DLC.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I actually liked original Fallout 76, so I am still watching this with interest. I do like the NASAtech aesthetic.

• Options
    I saw it referred to NASApunk, which I like a lot.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    seems... fine?

i cannot think of anything in the gameplay that was interesting but hey its a bethesda game

the faces are bad but better bad than fo4 so progress is coming

It seriously bugs me that Bethesda's face animations still seem worse than the Source engine games that came out nearly twenty years ago

I actually looked up VTM: Bloodlines' tutorial to see if it was just my nostalgia goggles giving me that impression, and while they're distinctly worse than I remember they still give me much less of an uncanny valley feel than Starfield's

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Looks fantastic and like everything I would want from Bethesda on something like this. Plus more!

Seeing it now I'm super glad it got delayed. It would absorb way too much time during a period with way too many other games if it hadn't been. I feel like I'll be spending quite a few hours in this one.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

It for sure wasn't as exciting or punchy as something like a Destiny or Halo, but I guess I was pleasantly surprised that it at least looked functional; which compared to FO3/4/76, is saying a lot. :lol:

Those games absolutely require VATS, even with its reduced functionality in 76, to be playable. FO4 is definitely an improvement over FO3, but its still so, as you say, weightless, that this still looked like a step up.

By which I mean, the bullets went in the direction the gun was aiming, and that's its own level of success with a Bethesda game. :)

This is patently untrue. Fallout 4/76 are completely playable without it. My FO76 build actually did pretty badly if you tried to use VATS with it.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

Yeah, I found myself pretty "whelmed" watching the gameplay, the FPS fights in particular looked tedious at best. Like I could already see the gameplay loop of land on planet a, open abandoned facility b, fight mooks, collect loot, repeat. But the Fallout loop is pretty similar and those games have all been enjoyable enough, so I guess I'll wait and see.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The setting looks pretty unique to me. I cant think of many other games that do the sorta realist future look for stuff like this. And I'm pretty sure I've never seen an open world game in that setting?

Which would be not generic at all in my book.

Definitely a more appealing setting than Fallout for me at least. And I enjoy Fallout games! The setting just doesn't really do as much for me.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I am so hype for this, I will buy the biggest most expensive collector's edition version of it the day they offer a preorder...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I'm a bit scared of the size of Starfield

but I want it, right now

e: and I still agree with this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/bethesda-could-have-shown-us-anything-with-starfield-and-they-chose-grey-rocks-again

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png