Options

[Metroid] Prime 4 coming 2025!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    The negative aspect of my experience with MP2 was almost entirely the frustration of wanting to cross a distance of map and constantly having to flip map types to try and put together a route, then endlessly bumping into dead ends along the way and having to backtrack to get back on track. The game map really needed to be designed in such a way as to be one contiguous map pretending to be two worlds, then the game map showing them both together with a color-coded difference and logical portal placement between the two (effectively acting as a different kind of door).

I very much enjoyed the atmosphere of the world itself and never had a problem with any of the bosses, but holy fuck did the light/dark map navigation deflate the overall experience.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Honestly, what annoyed me most about the world transitions was it keeping the orange colour effect when Samus dissolves, when you switch to a non-orange suit pretty early one.

It'd be a bit much for a small R remaster like it sounds like we'll be getting, but the way to get rid of the portal animations would be to load both light and dark rooms at the same time, so you could just walk between them like in Portal. That would depend on memory constraints, and I don't know how the Switch would hold up.
    If it was just running the old game without a significant improvement in textures and so on, I assume it could fit multiple rooms in there at once. But re-coding and old game to do that would get you into the technical boundaries of a remake rather than a remaster, and I expect that would cost a lot more in dev time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The only thing sillier than trying to put together a unifying Metroid timeline is trying to put together a unifying Zelda timeline.

And the only thing sillier than that is attempting to construct a unified Mario timeline.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I dunno, Metroid seems pretty easy to timeline:
    1/Zero Mission
    Prime 1
    Prime 2: Echoes
    Prime 3: Corruption
    2: Return of Samus/Samus Returns
    Super Metroid
    Other MNothing
    Fusion
    Dread

Dunno where you put Hunters and Pinball, but I'd guess between the Primes.

edit: derp, I put Prime between the wrong games, but that's just me being wrong.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I would put the Prime subseries between 1 and 2, considering Super picks up almost immediately after Metroid 2. Like, Samus leaves the station she delivered the larva to and BAM, RIDLEY SMASHES THE PLACE.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I dunno, Metroid seems pretty easy to timeline:
    1/Zero Mission
    2: Return of Samus/Samus Returns
    Prime 1
    Prime 2: Echoes
    Prime 3: Corruption
    Super Metroid
    Other MNothing
    Fusion
    Dread

Dunno where you put Hunters and Pinball, but I'd guess between the Primes.

Prime's between 1 and 2, yeah.

As for Hunters, it's between Prime 1 and Prime 2:
    PGC: Hunters takes place between Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2. How does that work out with continuity? Is it not really influenced by either game?

Reed: It's not really influenced at all by either of the stories. It's just a side story, really. It's a separate mission.

Abe:
    As Richard [Vorodi] was saying earlier, the ship that you see in the game is the ship from Metroid Prime, whereas the suit Samus is wearing is the suit from Metroid Prime 2. So, where the character is, in terms of development, fits somewhere between the two. Maybe there are some events that happen on either side, but that's kind of the general flow of where it would fit.

Metroid Prime Pinball is just a straight adaptation of Metroid Prime 1 into pinball tables, though. The tables are Pirate Frigate, Tallon Overworld, Phendrana Drifts, Phazon Mines, Artifact Temple (Meta Ridley's the boss), and Impact Crater (with the final boss of the game being Metroid Prime).
    (The Magmoor Caverns table is exclusive to multiplayer, I guess???)

...Also, nobody really cares about it but Metroid Prime: Federation Force is after Prime 3 and I guess was probably meant to set up Sylux as the villain of Prime 4?

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I absolutely hated echos and have zero desire to ever play that again. Hated the dimensional gimmick but worse was the ammo system for beam weapons. I put it down for a long time before coming back to beat it before Metroid Prime 3 came out. That final boss was hell. As far as I'm concerned, the only awesome thing from Echoes was the Screw Attack.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Phazon Mines need more health pickups and save points. Or maybe they should have just added checkpoints and autosaves to the remaster...

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Phazon Mines need more health pickups and save points. Or maybe they should have just added checkpoints and autosaves to the remaster...

Anything in particular giving you trouble? I didn’t once think the Mines were a struggle myself, but there may be tactics I’m employing that aren’t obvious to others.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Start to finish was harrowing for sure. Those souped up pirates do a lot more damage than normal. Even dodging you still get hit and it's like 50+ HP per hit. I remember playing through that area in the original and having issues. So when I walked into the room with the crane I was like "oh fuck".

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular

Anything in particular giving you trouble? I didn’t once think the Mines were a struggle myself, but there may be tactics I’m employing that aren’t obvious to others.

Nothing particular. My reflexes just are not what they used to be, so dying just before I reach a save point after the Elite Pirate is annoying.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Playing Prime for the first time and it does feel low on save points compared to anything from Super on. In fact it feels an awful lot like Metroid II...

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm at the end of Metroid Prime, missing 6 missile expansions and desperately wishing they'd added the whole "this area is clear!" thing to the map from newer games, to narrow down the search. After the artifact hunt, I'm not really up for another lap of the whole world to track down the last few missiles...

on track for 100% scans though!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Did the Remaster do anything about the ice bat scan? I remember that being the dumbest thing. "Oh, did you not scan that suicide enemy that kamikazes you right as soon as you approach it? No worries... it NEVER comes back, you can NEVER get that scan again, trollolol."

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Reflex free, simple strats for getting through Phazon Mines intact:

General advice for fighting the Beam pirates
    ALWAYS stay as far away as possible while still being able to hit your targets. This lets their guns scatter more and’ll get clipped for much smaller amounts of damage.

Lock-on persists even if you break line of sight. ABUSE THIS and keep behind cover when possible.

Color-specific advice
    Kill in this order.

Yellow: super missile. Don’t even think about it. Delete them.

Red: just plasma beam spam and they’ll die quick enough.

Purple: quick charge spam at max distance. Press and hold the button and the moment you see a charge shot start to build, release, then press and hold the button, wait for the charge, release, repeat. The electrocution stun effect happens regardless of whether or not you reach a full charge, and lasts long enough to stun lock a single pirate forever. These shots all home in so keep locked and they’ll go down quick enough.

White: similar to purple, quick charge spam. However, ice beam shots do not home in, which means you’ll need to fight closer. In your favor, though, is the fact that the freeze lasts long enough for you to lock down two pirates! You’ll have enough time to switch targets back and forth indefinitely. This is the slowest kill, though, so save it for last. You can Ice Spreader if you really want but that devours missiles at a more than replaceable rate.

AvalonGuard on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm at the end of Metroid Prime, missing 6 missile expansions and desperately wishing they'd added the whole "this area is clear!" thing to the map from newer games, to narrow down the search. After the artifact hunt, I'm not really up for another lap of the whole world to track down the last few missiles...

It's been a while but I thiiiink there is actually a powerup collection completion counter for each map, but it only unlocks on new game+
    I might be thinking of one of the several other metroid games where that is true though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Did the Remaster do anything about the ice bat scan? I remember that being the dumbest thing. "Oh, did you not scan that suicide enemy that kamikazes you right as soon as you approach it? No worries... it NEVER comes back, you can NEVER get that scan again, trollolol."

They're still missable, but note that they respawn if you re-enter the room before you get the Thermal Visor.

For what it's worth, scans also carry over into NG+.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Nothing particular. My reflexes just are not what they used to be, so dying just before I reach a save point after the Elite Pirate is annoying.

I've played a fair amount of the Prime 1 Randomizer and uhh... let's just say you get used to dealing with that kind of stuff when you have to get through early parts of Mines on 2 Energy Tanks and the Power Suit.

In case you weren't aware, powerups make a sound when you're nearby. It's sort of a low hum? Once you start listening for it, it's actually pretty easy to notice.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i finished with every energy tank and only needed the ingame hint for one artifact but i only finished with 195 missiles

feels like a personal failure

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Yeah, I finished yesterday with all energy tanks, 200 missiles, but had some creature and Pirate Lore scans left. Got all the Chozo lore though! Going to start up Dread tomorrow as I fell off of playing it for some reason around release but am in full on Metroid appreciation mode now. Pretty damn excited to dig into that much more!
    Terrendos wrote:
    iIn case you weren't aware, powerups make a sound when you're nearby. It's sort of a low hum? Once you start listening for it, it's actually pretty easy to notice.

This is consistent with my general experience as items that power me up give off soft hums. Pizza, fried chicken, dipping sauces, Coke, Twizzlers, ice cream, cheese burgers . . . probably some other powerups I'm forgetting. NOS and liquor easily give off the most noticeable hums.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Terrendos wrote: »

In case you weren't aware, powerups make a sound when you're nearby. It's sort of a low hum? Once you start listening for it, it's actually pretty easy to notice.

Oh yeah, that's how I did the artifact hunt! Turned the music way down so only the SFX were audible, as the artifacts also emit that sound.

I uh, actually kinda fucked up in that I started the hunt right after getting the final upgrade and without ever visiting the temple, so I didn't get the hints. Just did a brute force lap of the world to find them.

Even having done that, I somehow missed 6 missile expansions.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Only means I know of to track all the missile expansions is to literally go through a guide of their locations and check off every one as you find it, because the game won't tell you.

Ideally, you do it from start of a new playthrough because I can tell you from experience that trying to do it after you've cleared most of the game is a huuuuuge fuckin' waste of time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    On this day 5 years ago, a tragedy befell the Dover household...

k0hb7oc0kmt4.jpg

Never leave your game stuff within a 2-year old's reach. I thought this box would be safe on the high shelf, but destruction finds a way.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Finally got all the upgrades and artifacts. Sitting at about 205 missiles and missing 2 energy tanks. Might just head forward.

• Options
    And credits. That last 10% of Ridleys health is so annoying. But the final boss when Samus jumps down to the lower levels is such an awesome feeling.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ridley's last phase is kinda fucked. not sure if i was doing it wrong.

i used up all my missiles on an ill considered wavebuster strat and just... could not damage him without super missiles. charged shots and the fire beam didn't do shit. my hands started cramping up before i died from plugging away for no damage.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    ridley's last phase is kinda fucked. not sure if i was doing it wrong.

i used up all my missiles on an ill considered wavebuster strat and just... could not damage him without super missiles. charged shots and the fire beam didn't do shit. my hands started cramping up before i died from plugging away for no damage.

I remember having a 3rd-party Gamecube controller that would let you put any button on Turbo. Got a lot of mileage out of that controller with the Prime games, being able to machine-gun fire the regular shots saved so much hassle.

• Options
    Yeah you have to hit him in the mouth enough times to reveal his chest weakness. The issue if that if you're mid shooting and he gets stunned and reveals his chest and you accidentally hit it once or twice sometimes that's enough to break him out of his stun. So you have to keep at it. Eventually you learn when to charge attack his mouth when he does certain moves.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    When he gets low enough health that it seems impossible to damage him, that's when you stunlock him with the wave buster and that last bit of his health melts right off.

Until then you really need to conserve missile ammo because the wave buster uses a ton. Try to use charged plasma beam shots as much as you can until it's wave buster time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Me: Man, being able to dual stick aim makes this game too easy

Phazon Mines: Oh, really? Ain't that cute.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Welp, I just checked my Amazon pre-order and it says that my physical copy won't be delivered until March 15th at the earliest. Guess I'm going to have to see if I can hunt down a retail physical copy.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I saw some reviews complaining that with the dual stick control scheme the camera no longer tilts down when you jump to help with platforming. I discovered today you can actually enable that feature in the pause menu, but for some reason not from the options menu before starting a game. There's actually a ton of stuff in the pause menu that you won't find in the pre-game options menu. Kindof a strange design choice.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Watching the digital foundry video and looking at the footage of the Wii version, good lord I had forgotten exactly how that game looked. This remaster looks so much better while still looking like how I remember the game looking.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Those of you having trouble with Meta-Ridley?

The rapid-missile trick with the power beam still works.

It is RIDICULOUSLY effective.

• Options
    I saw some reviews complaining that with the dual stick control scheme the camera no longer tilts down when you jump to help with platforming. I discovered today you can actually enable that feature in the pause menu, but for some reason not from the options menu before starting a game. There's actually a ton of stuff in the pause menu that you won't find in the pre-game options menu. Kindof a strange design choice.

Oh man I figured I saw all the options and that would have been nice.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    My copy just arrived, excited to touch this again. Haven't played since the original was released.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Welp, I just checked my Amazon pre-order and it says that my physical copy won't be delivered until March 15th at the earliest. Guess I'm going to have to see if I can hunt down a retail physical copy.

I hope there's another wave coming, as I wasn't able to grab it at launch, and now I'm hearing that Nintendo didn't print many of them or something.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular

I hope there's another wave coming, as I wasn't able to grab it at launch, and now I'm hearing that Nintendo didn't print many of them or something.

That's a massive bummer and I hope you're able to snag one. I know Nintendo tends to be an overwhelming conservative company when it comes to their logistical decisions, but just let people buy the things they want to buy. Is everything Nintendo puts out, barring the big franchises, assumed to be a limited run, scarce product? I reordered my physical copy of this the the moment they went live on Best Buy's website. I went and picked it up on Wednesday and had the cellophane off before I left the store. I see that sealed copies are going for upwards of $100 on eBay. Print more than 50 copies of a beloved game that people have been asking for for years. Sheesh.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »

That's a massive bummer and I hope you're able to snag one. I know Nintendo tends to be an overwhelming conservative company when it comes to their logistical decisions, but just let people buy the things they want to buy. Is everything Nintendo puts out, barring the big franchises, assumed to be a limited run, scarce product? I reordered my physical copy of this the the moment they went live on Best Buy's website. I went and picked it up on Wednesday and had the cellophane off before I left the store. I see that sealed copies are going for upwards of $100 on eBay. Print more than 50 copies of a beloved game that people have been asking for for years. Sheesh.

No, just Metroid.

Charging $40 while doing more work than for Skyward Sword tells you exactly where their expectations were.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I know everyone's playing Metroid Prime, but I just started Zero Mission for the first time and why haven't Nintendo re-released this?! It's fantastic!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.