As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] Expecting Prime 4? TOO BAD PRIME 1 REMASTER TIME.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Apparently a demo of Metroid Dread is on the eShop for anyone who was still on the fence about it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    holy crap i suck at games

look at this person

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Got 100% items. Tomorrow I start trying to take on the final boss.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Here I thought that person was going to shinespark an EMMI.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    My god that's beautiful to watch.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It needs a pinball bumper effect for all the wall bounces, IMO.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Metroid Dread Pinball is a game that needs to be made.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

It's all fun and games until Samus is shinesparking towards the out hole

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Prime Pinball was so good! And thinking back on the general history of Metroid, probably a miracle that it got made!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    and i still have that game and the rumble cart

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I can't wait for Dread speedruns. They're gonna be so sick.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    We're probably lucky Nintendo didn't just turn Metroid into a pinball franchise full time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    We're probably unlucky Nintendo didn't just turn Metroid into a pinball franchise full time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Latest i saw was at 1:26?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Metroid community out here speedrunning speedrunning. I do worry that we're gonna get down to the point where the only advancement is fractional second gains (if we aren't already). "The History of Metroid Dread Speedrunning" isn't gonna be an interesting youtube video.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Metroid community out here speedrunning speedrunning. I do worry that we're gonna get down to the point where the only advancement is fractional second gains (if we aren't already). "The History of Metroid Dread Speedrunning" isn't gonna be an interesting youtube video.

TBF the devs already knew sub-4 was possible. Not a ton of room for improving on that.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

TBF the devs already knew sub-4 was possible. Not a ton of room for improving on that.

Yeah, the target times for the best ending in most Metroid games are pretty low - 4 hours is actually generous. The original game has a 1 hour target. II and Super have 3 hour. Both GBA games have in-game targets of 2 hours for 100% completion.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Saw this on twitter, this is adorable:

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

It will come down further. They are just discovering ways to clip through floors last I saw. More tech will be found I'm sure.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Eh people have been worrying about that since about three days after the game came out and the best was like 1h56m at that point.

I think Oatsngoats said it best a few days after the game launched when his chat was going on and on about how there were already runs that there's just no way they could be cut down much more. He more or less said "Stop talking to me about world records for this, come back in three to six months and then maybe we can talk about it."

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Final boss took me three or four tries. Compared to Proteus Ridley he was a cakewalk.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    The final boss is good - there's a lot of room to takes risks to push for more damage, or you can play it safe and wait for more vulnerable attack patterns.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, the target times for the best ending in most Metroid games are pretty low - 4 hours is actually generous. The original game has a 1 hour target. II and Super have 3 hour. Both GBA games have in-game targets of 2 hours for 100% completion.

None of the other games had 40+ minutes of cutscene time counted in the official tally, though.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

None of the other games had 40+ minutes of cutscene time counted in the official tally, though.

There were 40 minutes of cutscenes in the game? Huh, it didn't seem that much. Are you sure they count against your total time? What if you skip them?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Final boss took me three or four tries. Compared to Proteus Ridley he was a cakewalk.

A-fucking-men. When I finished Proteus Ridley I didn't even feel a sense of accomplishment. I was just glad it was over.

Proteus Ridley was the first Metroid boss that took me more than two attempts.

Well, ok, technically the second if you count the Diggernaut who took a few tries.

And we're not going to talk about the god damned Diggernaut chase sequence because we don't talk about the god damned fucking Diggernaut chase sequence :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

There were 40 minutes of cutscenes in the game? Huh, it didn't seem that much. Are you sure they count against your total time? What if you skip them?

it (often slightly inaccurately) adds skipped cutscene time to the in-game timer.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The final boss is good - there's a lot of room to takes risks to push for more damage, or you can play it safe and wait for more vulnerable attack patterns.

And if you hit the counter you can kill him in less than 160 seconds without using any missiles.

Video in spoiler

HP Sponge indeed.

Viskod on
  • Options
    They definitely used a few of missiles there (not counting the black holes), on some omega beam potshots.

But still damned impressive.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yes I'm sure the devs carefully balanced plasma damage around who has an unofficial controller with turbo-fire.

Although that's still kind of on them.

• Options
    It occurs to me that the diggernaut chase was kind of a proto-emmi zone

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    We're probably lucky Nintendo didn't just turn Metroid into a pinball franchise full time.

The night is young.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to find out what the sales are for this game. I'm hoping all the marketing muscle Nintendo put behind it pays off and it sells really well. This is the first time Nintendo put the AAA marketing budget behind the series.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    There was some serious marketing for prime and zero mission too I think, or at lea sd t I remember tv ads existing, maybe that was only in japan though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    There was some serious marketing for prime and zero mission too I think, or at lea sd t I remember tv ads existing, maybe that was only in japan though

https://youtu.be/o-ghh6TPxtA

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That Metroid umbrella is incredibly rad.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yes I'm sure the devs carefully balanced plasma damage around who has an unofficial controller with turbo-fire.

Although that's still kind of on them.

The gun fire is just filler, turbo or not doesn't matter. Hitting those counters are the big damage. You can pretty much skip Phase One by hitting his first counter after his wide beam attack you have to round ball under and then either running up to him when he taunts you for one, or countering one of his dash punches.

Phase Two is really the boss fight itself because he doesn't have any.

Phase Three is just waiting for you to counter him again for the fight to be over.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finally beat it. 10:08:something. Not bad for my first ever Metroid game, I think. Thoughts:
    Parts of the game are brilliant. I love the EMMI rooms. I think the overall vibe and feel of the game is great. I liked getting some actual lore. Some of the Chozo designs were great. The overall pacing is good... early on it felt like I was getting something (new ability, missiles, e-tank, etc.) every 10-15 minutes or so.

My problems are more or less the same as everyone else's. Clunky controls and bullet sponge bosses.

I've said it before, but there's 0 reason for the controls to be laid out as they are. It would've been much better/simpler/more accessible if tapping R1 fired missiles and holding R2 was the grapple gun. This incessant need to funnel everything through the Y button just doesn't make gameplay sense to me. Yes, Samus has just the one gun arm. But we're not Samus. And even if we were, I'm pretty sure she'd just have dedicated buttons to firing other ordinance rather than trying to hold down 2-4 buttons at a time in that gun arm.

Regarding the bosses, I found them mostly obnoxious. The over-reliance on executing melee counters to the detriment of everything else was not fun. This is highlighted in the final boss fight in which phase 2 lasts more than twice as long as the other phases combined simply because there's no melee counter available. Better balance, less "I just hit you with 50+ missiles/100+ normal gun shots and you're still alive" please.

Overall, I give it a 7/10. Some great parts, but I have 0 interest in going back to it again.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Excising from spoiler for general discussion.
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    It would've been much better/simpler/more accessible if tapping R1 fired missiles and holding R2 was the grapple gun. This incessant need to funnel everything through the Y button just doesn't make gameplay sense to me. Yes, Samus has just the one gun arm. But we're not Samus.

Doesn't Samus use her other arm for the grapple beam anyway?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    IIRC, she grabs the ‘rope’ with her free hand when opening grapple beam doors

• Options
    edited October 2021

Nightslyr wrote: »
    IIRC, she grabs the ‘rope’ with her free hand when opening grapple beam doors

Ok maybe that's just a Prime thing then.

Vyolynce on