As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] Expecting Prime 4? TOO BAD PRIME 1 REMASTER TIME.

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys know the names for any of these things? The game doesn't tell you anything.
    There's a mission log accessible from the pause screen. Lists boss names after you've beaten them. (Can also be used to keep track of any sequence breaking you've done.)

Ark Evensong on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys know the names for any of these things? The game doesn't tell you anything.

Also, bonus topic: I managed to beat the flying purple bug over the weekend, and then the combo pair of two jetpack guys, and then the red spear guy. I persevered and stuck with it. Now I'm fighting Puke Face Slashy Arms Monster. I've made it a good ways into the fight, but haven't had a good enough execution of mechanics yet to get it down.

I believe the boss names came from the special edition art book?

Pukey Face is named Experiment Z-57. It's a hard fight but all its moves are pretty well telegraphed at least. You can do it!

Got it down this morning. That fight proved a lot more manageable for me, compared to the jetpack guys and the insect bug. I struggled a lot less on this one. Not discounting the difficulty other people have had. But the patterns and predictability of this one made it a fight I was personally able to manage much more effectively than the bug, which felt a lot less predictable and also a lot more relentless.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    There's a mission log accessible from the pause screen. Lists boss names after you've beaten them. (Can also be used to keep track of any sequence breaking you've done.)

The map will also give you boss names if you highlight the boss room after you've beaten it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular

Also, bonus topic: I managed to beat the flying purple bug over the weekend, and then the combo pair of two jetpack guys, and then the red spear guy. I persevered and stuck with it. Now I'm fighting Puke Face Slashy Arms Monster. I've made it a good ways into the fight, but haven't had a good enough execution of mechanics yet to get it down.

Pukey Face is named Experiment Z-57. It's a hard fight but all its moves are pretty well telegraphed at least. You can do it!

Got it down this morning. That fight proved a lot more manageable for me, compared to the jetpack guys and the insect bug. I struggled a lot less on this one. Not discounting the difficulty other people have had. But the patterns and predictability of this one made it a fight I was personally able to manage much more effectively than the bug, which felt a lot less predictable and also a lot more relentless.

I really liked that boss, except for that one attack. You know the one. Hectic bosses can be fine for me though; the main thing I don't like is when bosses waste my time with attacks that take too long, which is thankfully a rarity in this game.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I really liked that boss, except for that one attack. You know the one. Hectic bosses can be fine for me though; the main thing I don't like is when bosses waste my time with attacks that take too long, which is thankfully a rarity in this game.

For Z-57, if it's the attack I think it is, it makes up for the length of it.
    Because you can quick-kill it by charging a shinespark at the end and slamming into it

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Look on the map where you fought a boss, there'll be a marker that shows its name.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Apparently they've figured out how to fight Kraid without the Varia suit. Doesn't appear to be any advantage to it, but it can be done.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Apparently they've figured out how to fight Kraid without the Varia suit. Doesn't appear to be any advantage to it, but it can be done.

Metroid Dread RBO here we come

Pointless sequence breaks are essential to the Metroid experience.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

It lets them skip Varia Suit. Part of it is some kind of glitch that I think makes you invulnerable, at least until you do something that breaks it. I think one is rolling on a crumble block as a ball, so getting to Kraid involves unmorphing in time to keep the invulnerability for the fight so the heat doesn't kill you.

If you can repeat the glitch for other heated/frozen areas, that's a huge timeskip.

WR is down to under 1:15 now I think. I won't be surprised if they get to under an hour by the end of the year.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Got to the end boss and left. I wanted to do a full map sweep for upgrades before finishing the game.

Why do I have 12 power bombs? Why are there so many upgrades for this? It seems completely unnecessary to have more than like 4.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Power Bomb ammo always seems kinda weird when you get it so late.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Power bombs are just a weird thing to limit considering they generally don't even damage bosses at all and the point you get them at usually means you have screw attack and wave beam so you aren't really fighting enemies anymore either.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Yeah it would be nice if they gave you more to do with them. Perhaps there were plans for more before Dread's scope got reduced. Word is they were originally planning a much bigger map with twice as many bosses. Interestingly there is an area where you can see what appears to be the silhouette of Draygon in a huge glass tube. That would have been a neat boss fight.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Shoulda brought back the power bomb beam combos from Super!

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've found the trick to Escue is to
    stay up against the walls and try to bait its attacks high. The shot that spreads across the floor won't do it if it hits the wall, and if it charges above your head that's a safe opportunity to hit it for a bunch of damage.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

On one of the pause menus, I think it’s the “left” one, if that makes sense, there’s a second display that will show you things you’ve found or killed as well.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Mostly used power bombs in place of the radar scanner thing when hunting around the map for 100%. Just nuke a room to reveal what the blocks actually are with the convenience of clearing enemies.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Finished around 5:30 in my first Hard run. Was trying not too hard to get the under 4 hour mark, but I did take some useless detours. Currently trying for 100% in that save before restarting it so that I get all the ending cards thingy.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    stay up against the walls and try to bait its attacks high. The shot that spreads across the floor won't do it if it hits the wall, and if it charges above your head that's a safe opportunity to hit it for a bunch of damage.

Went into Escue with no spoilers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eif1FJ_Xt2s

Median flying height is perfect height to jump straight up and fire a couple missiles. Almost all the attacks seem to aim directly Samus and/or have significant windup so not jumping unless you're dodging an attack seemed the way to go. Doesn't leave many openings though and I didn't see anything that was Counterable which kind of sucks after so many cool counter animations against so many cool bosses.

Third and final attempt starts at 2:40.

Taramoor wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Went into Escue with no spoilers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eif1FJ_Xt2s

Median flying height is perfect height to jump straight up and fire a couple missiles. Almost all the attacks seem to aim directly Samus and/or have significant windup so not jumping unless you're dodging an attack seemed the way to go. Doesn't leave many openings though and I didn't see anything that was Counterable which kind of sucks after so many cool counter animations against so many cool bosses.

Third and final attempt starts at 2:40.

Now that you've beaten it, the quick kill strat:
    You can charge a shinespark as you enter the room and chop a massive chunk of HP off it. It's also very weak to the screw attack, but you need to sequence break to have that for this fight.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah it would be nice if they gave you more to do with them. Perhaps there were plans for more before Dread's scope got reduced. Word is they were originally planning a much bigger map with twice as many bosses. Interestingly there is an area where you can see what appears to be the silhouette of Draygon in a huge glass tube. That would have been a neat boss fight.

That would explain a lot. The way some abilities are only used like five times each feels like a rushing issue. A pity, but hopefully this game will ensure the next can hold on to its scope.

Incenjucar on
    All this talk of Escue and I can't even remember fighting it...

Delzhand wrote: »
    All this talk of Escue and I can't even remember fighting it...

For real, I had to look it up. I don't think of myself being particularly good at vidya-games in general but apparently I must be pretty good at Dread?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Escue was the only boss fight that really gave me trouble, I don't remember what I was trying to do that just wasn't right but it took me a lot of attempts.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Escue was the most frustrating fight in the game for me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, I looked up Escue, and even looking at the thing, I have like, zero memory of it.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You can actually not fight Escue I think and still complete the game.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Escue is really not a memorable boss. I had a tough time with it and still barely remembered it until people here brought it up.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    You can actually not fight Escue I think and still complete the game.

It's optional, yes. The upgrade can be skipped entirely, it's just helpful for getting one other useful upgrade.

Next Metroid game is going to have a speedrun option that simply glasses the planet from orbit.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Got 100% items before attempting to complete the game now. I had to look up how to do one of the shine spark puzzles, that one in Burenia...never would've figured it out

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited November 2021
    Just beat the game.

Game clock said 14:58. Does that include wipes? Because I wiped a lot on bosses.

Unspoilered thoughts:

Overall a decent game. Definitely the hardest in the series, was a struggle to get through. I'd probably give it a 7/10. It isn't perfect and I had a lot of minor complaints about the flow of the game, boss difficulty, and a few others. But overall it was enjoyable despite getting absolutely brick walled on the flying purple bug boss for like an entire week.

Spoilered thoughts:
    Raven Beak, to me, wasn't super hard. The hardest part of the fight was the timing on the phase 3 QTEs. On that topic, it's 2021, I thought gaming as an industry has outgrown QTEs? They are dumb and should be excised from game development entirely.

The timing felt off on the phase 3 parry window QTEs. I died probably 4 or 5 times on phase 3 just to never getting the QTE right. Other than that, I breezed through P3. P2 was the hardest, but by the time I completed the fight, I was doing very well on P1 and P2 both. Learning the patterns and how to move etc wasn't so bad.

To me, Raven Beak was not the hardest fight of the game. The hardest fights were the very first Jetpack guy, and the purple flying insect.

Lucascraft on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just beat the game.

Game clock said 14:58. Does that include wipes? Because I wiped a lot on bosses.
    It doesn't. Game timer resets to whenever the checkpoint was made, so you spent more time playing than that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    On that topic, it's 2021, I thought gaming as an industry has outgrown QTEs? They are dumb and should be excised from game development entirely.
    Yeah, I gotta agree with this. I'm actually a fan of the parry mechanic in general; it feels great against a ton of different enemies and finding the places where you can parry against bosses is also really satisfying. But the "cutscene" parries are just QTEs and I really dislike them, especially since they aren't just a bonus. You have to complete those QTEs, and it sucks.

On the other hand, the occasional cutscenes where you get to keep blasting feel really good to me. I'm fine with getting those as a reward for parrying normally.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Just beat the game.

It doesn't. Game timer resets to whenever the checkpoint was made, so you spent more time playing than that.

Yeah check your Switch user profile for approximate run time.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    On that topic, it's 2021, I thought gaming as an industry has outgrown QTEs? They are dumb and should be excised from game development entirely.
    Yeah, I gotta agree with this. I'm actually a fan of the parry mechanic in general; it feels great against a ton of different enemies and finding the places where you can parry against bosses is also really satisfying. But the "cutscene" parries are just QTEs and I really dislike them, especially since they aren't just a bonus. You have to complete those QTEs, and it sucks.

On the other hand, the occasional cutscenes where you get to keep blasting feel really good to me. I'm fine with getting those as a reward for parrying normally.
    Wasn't a huge fan of the suddenly interactive cutscenes, game doesn't bother actually letting you know that you're supposed to keep shooting when they happen, just have to discover it by trying to shoot, and most of the time nothing will happen.

LJDouglas on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    This is (supposedly) the model they used for the Zero Suit death animations.

Girl is fucking ripped.

5zu8cmfev1cg.png

And yeah, this is linebacker Samus I want to see, not waifish Smash ZSS.

jungleroomx on