As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lost Ark] - Machinist & Kakul-Saydon raid out in September

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Just picked up a beta key. Now for the first boss.... character creation

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So I guess this is just like Black Desert? I just tried Mage/Bard, and I can pretty much only pick a nymph in lingerie to play it. I mean, I've had harder life choices, but damn imports can get weird.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    in terms of character creation? yeah classes are gender locked, there's supposed to be rough equivalents for both genders for most of the jobs in the current korean version, but I'm not sure if that's in the build we're getting yet

the character aesthetic is extremely Korean MMO in the lingerie sense as well

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Why do gunner classes always get 17th century hats?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The assassin class seems to be lady biker if you're looking for a different look.

It's a lot closer to WoW than I expected, I thought it was going to be very much Diablo. No one has asked me to bring them 10 bear asses, but I have been asked to pick things up and place them 15' away for some reason.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm so utterly confused by the ten thousands systems and currencies and buttons, but it's kinda neat so far.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm so utterly confused by the ten thousands systems and currencies and buttons, but it's kinda neat so far.

Yeah I was surprised at the number of systems at first too. It definitely comes pre-loaded with the features of an MMO that has been around for years already, which it has. It's possibly a little bloated in that regard, but I didn't find any of those systems unintuitive so it felt fine.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    While I love arpgs with complex build systems and the like. Having one of the RO or mobile rpg fare with tons of rpg loop grinds is welcome too. I think I will enjoy this game.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Maybe this is because I'm "old" but having four or five hotbars with active abilities is really difficult for me to track and use effectively. Especially in conjunction with mouse pointer aiming and click-to-move. It feels like I'm just spamming abilities because I simply cant remember what every different button does and when it is situationally powerful (or not). I mean, sure, if an ability is "do more damage" then I don't care. But an ability that is "5 second windup to put down a ranged AE effect that insta-kills everything within 3 metres of your mouse pointer" ends up being wasted 80% of the time. Either my pointer is no where near the fight, or I am in the middle of a melee furball and get interrupted.

26904.png
  • Options
    I am unsure what you are playing but I agree. But you can also change abilities you use with skill point investment into more your playstyle. On the pali I changed the ground puddles to jab moves. Im trying out gunlancer now and I have to say... I may just make this my main it just feels so fun.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Maybe this is because I'm "old" but having four or five hotbars with active abilities is really difficult for me to track and use effectively. Especially in conjunction with mouse pointer aiming and click-to-move. It feels like I'm just spamming abilities because I simply cant remember what every different button does and when it is situationally powerful (or not). I mean, sure, if an ability is "do more damage" then I don't care. But an ability that is "5 second windup to put down a ranged AE effect that insta-kills everything within 3 metres of your mouse pointer" ends up being wasted 80% of the time. Either my pointer is no where near the fight, or I am in the middle of a melee furball and get interrupted.

Yeah I want smartcasting on for some of these ground target abilities. My MOBA muscle memory is hurting me

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I am unsure what you are playing but I agree. But you can also change abilities you use with skill point investment into more your playstyle. On the pali I changed the ground puddles to jab moves. Im trying out gunlancer now and I have to say... I may just make this my main it just feels so fun.

100%. I loved Gunlancer enough in technical alpha that I've been avoiding it in the beta and RU since I'm already 100% maining it for live. Whole class just feels chunky and impactful, I'm a big fan. Only thing I don't enjoy about it is the awkward backstep dodge it has. Paladin took me by surprise too though, I'm definitely rolling one as an alt.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    There is something immensely satisfying of running around to corral 20-30-40 enemies together, and then hitting them with Bard E pushback into either R->S or just F knockup smashdown.

In one of the mission scenarios with the infected I found out there is indeed a cap to the amount of enemies you can lift at once, which amused me.

Otherwise Bard is not entirely what I expected early. It's definitely not support feeling yet, but rather it seems to be very "stay away from me" pushbacks into lots of ground circles.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Level 39 bard, it's like watching 7 seasons of Bob's Burgers: I'm still not sure I like it. Sonic Vibration > Dissonance is quite satisfying and then some Soundholic on top of that.

• Options
    I havent been hitting the game too hard. Been trying out different classes up to about 20 or more. Want to wait for the release. Overall I think this will be my main ARPG for awhile.

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I got a paladin up to 50, did a few chaos dungeons and one guardian raid. I was pretty confused leveling up what exactly the endgame would look like but I think I have a better picture now and I'm excited to get back to it when it releases for real.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    there's a number of streams of the beta running on twitch today/now that are giving out closed beta keys automatically for watching 30 minutes if you were wanting to try this out without buying in, amazon vertical integration ho

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I just got a key for this, but the closed beta only runs until some time on the 11th. Any recommendations for trying to quickly check this out in the very small amount of free time I'll have before it ends?

• Options
    oh really lol I won't be able to finish downloading it before then, oh well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I just got a key for this, but the closed beta only runs until some time on the 11th. Any recommendations for trying to quickly check this out in the very small amount of free time I'll have before it ends?

Look at the class battle previews before choosing one. Can't remember what they're called but it was chased me off of being a mage. Now I gun things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One thing to note is that since this is really the first psuedo "open beta" as they invited pretty much anyone from the start who watched the drop streams the stability of the servers was very nice. We will see how it goes but I dont remember even a hiccup.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I didn't think this would bother me as much as it did but the korean MMO "classes are genderlocked" thing actually really bugs me, I wanna play the warrior classes as a lady but there's no equivalent.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't think this would bother me as much as it did but the korean MMO "classes are genderlocked" thing actually really bugs me, I wanna play the warrior classes as a lady but there's no equivalent.

Plus the way the game treats most women... yikes.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Sat down and had a proper session playing this today, and it doesn't seem that great honestly. It's certainly no Diablo. I was hoping for something more mechanically interesting to match the quality of the visuals, but there's not a lot of mechanical depth, lots of buttons to press but they all do basically the same thing but on a cooldown so you have to cycle them, not much to enemies, pretty bland story. Oh well.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Sat down and had a proper session playing this today, and it doesn't seem that great honestly. It's certainly no Diablo. I was hoping for something more mechanically interesting to match the quality of the visuals, but there's not a lot of mechanical depth, lots of buttons to press but they all do basically the same thing but on a cooldown so you have to cycle them, not much to enemies, pretty bland story. Oh well.

I think the skill customization system - and some of the gameplay - doesn't really open up until you get enough levels to significantly work into the new tiers of skills. Then suddenly there's a lot more than just a bunch of different skills that all do the same thing with different numbers.

I don't think I disagree on the story so far, but how far have you gotten? I wasn't really wowed by anything in the game's story until the Lutheran Castle Siege setpiece, which sorta blew me away. Then the end of King Luterra's Tomb was just extremely rad.

I wouldn't give up on the game if you're just judging by the first 5-10 hours or so.

• Options
    for what its worth, as a person who made it to the level cap during the beta the game before that point and after it might as well be entirely different games. Its unfortunately and almost certainly to its detriment that its mostly just an extended tutorial/fairly straight forward single player story up until that point. Once your at the cap the difficulty starts to ramp up pretty quickly and your build starts to matter a lot more. It's also just... not diablo. or an ARPG in general, its got some of that in its dna but even the attacks have way more animation lock then those games typically have and the endgame content is much more heavily influenced by something like a dungeon/raid in a traditional mmo or even monster hunter with how you have to learn boss tells. I think its really cool post 50, Its also unfortunate that it doesn't open up and let you really see that stuff beforehand.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I've been calling it a much better RO or Tree of Savior but more arpg. I wouldn't really want to compare it to traditional games like diablo because its not trying to be like them at all. It has more in common to a maple story than traditional.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    beta's over, you don't have to go home but you can't stay in lost ark!

I'll probably give it a deeper try when it comes out for real, maybe the complexity picks up more after the first few zones as you say. Diablo 3 certainly had that problem before they introduced the "skip the story get straight to the end game" mode.

It is 100% a diablo 3-like though, I do not understand claims to the contrary. The combat feels a LITTLE different but not that much.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The distinction to me is mostly in how combat flows. In Diablo if I press a button the attack happens right away and I do my next thing. In Lost Ark attacks have animation lock on them, my sword combo on my paladin is going to leave me open to being knocked out of the attack if something more powerful hits me during it, or in the worst case scenario I won't get the attack off at all but it still goes on CD. I Guess how much of a difference that is is going to change from person to person but for me that puts it in a different style of combat then Diablo 3.

• Options
    I'm told the game starts at 50 (which is kinda dumb, but lots of games do this) but at 45, the bard felt ok, I guess? Mostly laying down AEs and pushing them into that, or keeping mobs in that. Combat wasn't nearly as good as I remember D3, which felt more dynamic but that might be the class. Enemy density was a lot lighter in the overworld (bad) and decent in dungeons which meant a lot of "run past 90 mobs then dot/AE/root them. The game is a lot more WoW than D3 I thought - tradeskills, a home/fortress, ship with minions and so on. Visually, it looked like every Korean MMO, which is pretty and the same aesthetic. I swear you could drop Tera assets into this and I wouldn't notice.

• Options
    Yeah having to wait until you finish the MSQ and hit 50 to really have the game start sucks and I wouldn't blame anyone for bouncing off it before then

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I hadn't heard about this game until a week or so before the beta started, but I really enjoyed the beta. I like how it's a long term mmo, compared to Diablo or PoE's focus on shorter seasons where you're constantly making new characters. It's also the most alt friendly mmo I've ever seen. Damn near everything carries over between characters from what I could tell.

I mostly played a Paladin with a bit of Summoner at the end and both classes were a lot of fun. I'm probably going to play Paladin at launch since support seems fun and will most likely be in need. Plus Paladin has a real good aesthetic going on.

The story is generic fantasy "go collect all the mcguffins to defeat evil", but there were some really cool set pieces you play through that were a ton of fun and visually stunning. Also you get to sail around on a boat so that's fun.

The beta pretty much changed me from "I have never heard of this game" to "damn I can't wait for it to come out"

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    All the "my lord" stuff kind of maxed out my cringe-o-meter.

• Options
    What my lord stuff? I never noticed.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    It was theorized and is now confirmed, the newly-released Sorceress class will swap with Summoner for global launch. Sorceress will be available on launch and Summoner will jump in at a later date.

Bad day for Summoner mains but Sorceress looks really fucking rad and I think this is a good call, to give the western audience a more conventional mage to work with on release.

Some Sorc gameplay if you're interested:

• Options
    They also said they have more announcements later this month, hopefully a release date? Swapping out an entire class seems strange and I feel bad for anyone who planned to main summoner but yeah that sorc looks way more fun then summoner did in beta.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Apparently, Massively accidentally posted a release date announcement that this was coming on 20 Jan, but then quickly took it down. Totally unconfirmed at this point but that would be welcome news for me at the very least.

26904.png
  • Options
    Sorc does look a lot more appealing to me than summoner did in the test

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    Apparently, Massively accidentally posted a release date announcement that this was coming on 20 Jan, but then quickly took it down. Totally unconfirmed at this point but that would be welcome news for me at the very least.

Ooh, that'd be sick.