As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Picked up The Fruit of Evolution anime, and it's not bad? Kind of plays like Spider Isekai mixed with Shield Hero, except a comedy instead of MRA drama bullshit. And it seems like the inevitable harem aspect doesn't involve anyone underage or enslaved.

That anime is actually laughably badly done. like so bad you can't stop watching it. animation is low tier, story and comedy is infantile, character is so op its a trope even to himself.

I dont think its that bad. Certainly theres been far far worse in previous seasons

Yeah, lots of stuff that's beyond the pale even this season. Horny weird harem isekai ain't even in the same ballpark.

I'm really enjoying Faraway Paladin, and Eighty-six right now.
    Got that sad, To Your Eternity, quality to shows about big flashy fight scenes under bitter circumstances coached in nostalgic memory.
    Helps that the shows looks and sounds great to.

Faraway had an extremely slow start. its been a bit on the boring side until he left the ruins tbh.

i prefer the begining

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

i made a noise i dont think i've ever made before when i read this. it was like a bark and a laugh. indescribable. the onomatopoeial personification of schadenfreude

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I have been reading Dandadan, which is pretty fantastic. I guess the guy doing it used to be an assistant on Chainsaw man? You can definitely sense a similar kinetic energy and oddball sense of humor. The story itself isn't really particularly anything that hasn't been done in shounen fightin' plots before, but the plot isn't really the point anyway, the point is just how much lunatic energy he can cram into every chapter as our heroes run for their lives against a parade of weird Gantz-esque monsters.

And when I say running I mean that's like the first 9 chapters basically is just them sprinting out of and then right back into danger again:
    Running away from a ghost
    10btwvxa0ood.jpg
    Running away from aliens
    c28b0sf4onda.jpg
    Running away from a big... monster guy
    ajaoijwifpcc.jpg
    Running the other direction from a big monster guy
    gdkznfw5ppxp.jpg
    One of us is turning into a monster guy but that doesn't mean we can stop running
    ml8cro31vxfs.jpg
    Running through their own backyard
    za9r1ycnw0xv.jpg
    Running to the bathroom
    238ybfiz5tp6.jpg
    Running away from a creepy old lady ghost
    r6jmvx2cbkf8.jpg
    Running away from a old lady ghost that's turned into a giant crab monster
    i1db2befvouc.jpg
    Running away from a horde of zombies who are also running
    z2qwi5kfzh18.jpg
    In chapter 7 they don't technically run but they do hang onto the back of a train and then fight on the top of the train
    5cx0vofbu3gg.jpg

And then when they finally get a break they get a kiss scene... because they run into each other
    6j2zhhz6s26a.jpg

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Faraway Paladin is what Jobless reincarnation wishes it were

I can't imagine anyone on the production team ever wished they were worse paid to produce a less popular, niche series that probably won't get another cour instead of making an incredibly popular series that's already working on it's third cour.

Wild, guess it takes all kinds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I meant in terms of liking the main character and it being a good but ok

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I have now finished all five seasons of Symphogear in about two weeks. That was a wild ride. Although with no more planned I do feel a bit sad...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Faraway Paladin is what Jobless reincarnation wishes it were

I can't imagine anyone on the production team ever wished they were worse paid to produce a less popular, niche series that probably won't get another cour instead of making an incredibly popular series that's already working on it's third cour.

Wild, guess it takes all kinds.

no but seriously though give Faraway Paladin Jobless's budget, animation team and popularity and delete Jobless please.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Jobless/Mushoku Tensei fans really are the purest incarnation of the anime community's most vile tendencies when it comes to defending stuff that is trash simply because it has good aesthetics and/or production values

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I have now finished all five seasons of Symphogear in about two weeks. That was a wild ride. Although with no more planned I do feel a bit sad...

You can scour the internet for translations of the mobile game. It's got some pretty good stuff in it. There's a bunch of alternate universes with all kinds of crazy stuff.

The Beef Stroganoff trio get their own transformations (and song) in one universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3dg17BGgg0

In another, Kirika got put into a coma so Shirika built a robot duplicate of her and that robot Kirika fights instead of that universe's actual Kirika (even after Kirika later wakes up she just remote controls it).

In another, the adults are the heroes with Genjuro, Ogawa, and a good version of Fine teaming up.

Or the April Fools event where Hibiki and Miku have to take care of a chibi Shem-Ha.

Shem-Shem%E2%98%85Panic_Recollection_1.png

Lastly, there's been a Symphogear Radio show hosted by the voice actresses for Miku and Chris (and sometimes guests) that still goes on to this day. They answer fan letters and talk about the ongoing mobile game or just goof off, and some clips get translated on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2IfEHv2oh0

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Why the correct amount of anime to recommend is often zero.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    BELLE English Dub Trailer & Cast Announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLCjdAmsFWo
    The English cast includes:

Kylie McNeill as Suzu/BELLE
    Chace Crawford as Justin
    Manny Jacinto as Shinobu
    Hunter Schafer as Ruka
    Paul Castro Jr. as Dragon
    David Chen as Gogo Doggo
    Jessica DiCicco as Hiro
    Brandon Engman as Kamishin
    Martha Harms as Hatanaka
    Jessica Gee George as Kita
    Barbara Goodson as Yoshitani
    Bentley Griffin as Angel
    Andrew Kishino as Jellinek
    Wendee Lee as Nakai
    Ben Lepley as Suzu's Father
    Noelle McGrath as Swan
    Julie Nathanson as Suzu's Mother
    Aaron Phillips as Fox
    Ellyn Stern as Okumoto
    Frank Todaro as Reggsination
    Kiff VandenHeuvel as Kei and Tomo's Father
    Cristina Vee Valenzuela as Peggie Sue

Additional voices include Tom Bromhead, John Bentley, Tiana Camacho, SungWon Cho, Courtney Chu, Larissa Gallagher, Heather Gonzalez, Xanthe Huynh, Anjali Kunapaneni, LilyPichu, Kyle McCarley, Julie Nathanson, Zeno Robinson, Stephanie Sheh, Michael Sinterniklaas, Rachel Slotky, and Laura Stahl.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-12-09/mamoru-hosoda-belle-film-reveals-english-trailer-dub-cast/.180453

Initial reaction/comments to the dub (including the songs) is pretty positive. Guess I'm going to have to try to see both dub and sub versions.

Which may be dangerous to my emotional state; I've only watched the trailer a few times and I'm tearing up every time.

Clearly I'm broken somewhere, somehow.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    rest in peace to a fucking legend

her credits also included macross plus, episodes of samurai champloo, space dandy, and carole & tuesday, as well as working on the first kingdom hearts

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Kill La Kill but actually

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Interspecies Reviewers, zero caveats. The perfect shock and awe operation that either sends people running or awakens something in them.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/7j1lXgrrOmk
    Everyone knows Monkey Luffy and his powers derived from the Straw Straw Fruit.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On anime news, this happened:
    The Tokyo District Court handed a guilty verdict and sentence to anime studio ufotable's founder, representative director, and president Hikaru Kondo on the charge of violating the Corporation Tax Act and Consumption Tax Act by failing to pay 138 million yen (about US$1.25 million) in taxes. Kondo is sentenced to 20 months in prison, but the sentence is suspended for three years. (If Kondo remains in good behavior for three years, he will not serve time in prison.)

The court commented that Kondo's wife, who acted as the company's accountant, showed reluctance in manipulating the company's tax filing, but Kondo had insisted, which showed "strong intent" to commit the fraud.

On the company's website, ufotable issued a statement acknowledging the sentencing, apologizing to fans of the company and all related parties, and said that it will use the incident as an opportunity to move toward a more sustainable level of production that remains within legal bounds.

Siiiigh.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    UFOTable is the studio behind the recent Fate/Stay Night anime adaptations right? The ones people joke about "unlimited budget works" for?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UFOTable is the studio behind the recent Fate/Stay Night anime adaptations right? The ones people joke about "unlimited budget works" for?

Yup. They also do Kimetsu no Yaiba so, you know, is not like they are lacking money.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Limited budget after all.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I'm honestly not really a fan of ufotable's animation?

Yes the Quality is there. But at the same time it also looks super cold and digital, and it feels like they always have this odd, dark matte filter onscreen all the time? ( guess to make cgi compositing better)

I like it in small doses, but I just don't feel like it's really cutting edge or enthralling as most other people seem to do. It's just really shiny.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    I think ufotable animation definitely has its moments but yeah, by and large their real skill is making CGI composition look better than most studios while consistently keeping their characters on-model, moreso than any truly fluid or lively hand animation

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I remember Fate Unlimited Budget Works having a weapon million strikes weapon clash where every individual attack was uniquely animated.

I don't...actually care what technical method was used to do that.

That's still amazing.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Yes the Quality is there. But at the same time it also looks super cold and digital, and it feels like they always have this odd, dark matte filter onscreen all the time? ( guess to make cgi compositing better)

I like it in small doses, but I just don't feel like it's really cutting edge or enthralling as most other people seem to do. It's just really shiny.

I'm not a fan either, but it's more the source material and their unwillingness to actually adapt an action scene to a different medium that drives me away. Pretty much the same as a lot of Jump stuff. So many of their action scenes can be deconstructed as.

--Thirty seconds minute of flashy over the top indistinct action before both separate and stand 10 feet apart motionlessly--
    "I see you are as good as they say."
    "Yes, you too truly are a great warrior."
    "But I sense that you are not using your full strength yet."
    "You are holding back as well, or I would not be able to not use my full strength."
    (He's holding back because he knows that I'm holding back.)
    "I'm just watching from the sidelines, but I can sense there is so much power."
    "Yes, this is truly an epic battle."
    --Go to 10--

When the work doesn't call for a lot of that bullshit, like the Rakkyo movies tended to, they're pretty enjoyable, but Fate and Demon Slayer? The action is flashy, but so boring to me because nothing flows, and even then, you usually have to sit through multiple episodes of static heads on disturbingly over-drawn backgrounds before getting to those parts. It occupies the same space in my head as shakey-cam fights or Michael Bay type things where yeah, there's a bunch of expensive explosions and choreography... SOMEWHERE... that took a lot of effort and talent to make, but give me a Jackie Chan-esque fixed cam fight with ups, downs, pitch and flow, witty banter naturally woven into it, so on and so forth any day of the week. I consider stuff like this to be the gold standard of what an action scene should be. Animation and art is certainly occasionally rough, but the direction, writing, use of sound and especially silence? All on fucking point. It does such an amazing job of elevating every character involved.

It's so weird to me too because they started out as such an auteur studio and I loved them in their early/claymation era. Futakoi Alternative, for all its warts, is such a beautiful and poignant coming of age story and a master class in audio direction, but whoever was driving all their absurdist tendencies must have left or given up control when they got a taste of the Type-Moon money machine.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I'm not a fan either, but it's more the source material and their unwillingness to actually adapt an action scene to a different medium that drives me away. Pretty much the same as a lot of Jump stuff. So many of their action scenes can be deconstructed as.

--Thirty seconds minute of flashy over the top indistinct action before both separate and stand 10 feet apart motionlessly--
    "I see you are as good as they say."
    "Yes, you too truly are a great warrior."
    "But I sense that you are not using your full strength yet."
    "You are holding back as well, or I would not be able to not use my full strength."
    (He's holding back because he knows that I'm holding back.)
    "I'm just watching from the sidelines, but I can sense there is so much power."
    "Yes, this is truly an epic battle."
    --Go to 10--

When the work doesn't call for a lot of that bullshit, like the Rakkyo movies tended to, they're pretty enjoyable, but Fate and Demon Slayer? The action is flashy, but so boring to me because nothing flows, and even then, you usually have to sit through multiple episodes of static heads on disturbingly over-drawn backgrounds before getting to those parts. It occupies the same space in my head as shakey-cam fights or Michael Bay type things where yeah, there's a bunch of expensive explosions and choreography... SOMEWHERE... that took a lot of effort and talent to make, but give me a Jackie Chan-esque fixed cam fight with ups, downs, pitch and flow, witty banter naturally woven into it, so on and so forth any day of the week. I consider stuff like this to be the gold standard of what an action scene should be. Animation and art is certainly occasionally rough, but the direction, writing, use of sound and especially silence? All on fucking point. It does such an amazing job of elevating every character involved.

It's so weird to me too because they started out as such an auteur studio and I loved them in their early/claymation era. Futakoi Alternative, for all its warts, is such a beautiful and poignant coming of age story and a master class in audio direction, but whoever was driving all their absurdist tendencies must have left or given up control when they got a taste of the Type-Moon money machine.

Yeah what actually made me come to this realization was watching Blood Blockade Battlefront for the first time this year. The action choreography and even some character movement just felt super-playful to me. It's enjoyable to watch even if it doesn't really scream budget. And it was complemented by lots of really nice backgrounds and locations that didn't just look good but felt lived in.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Mushoku Tensei always feels to me like a beautiful painting with a big smear of shit on it.

And they could've cleaned the shit off, but they didn't.

And it's just such a shame because there's a good painting under all that shit.

And the artist is like, "No see, the shit is part of the painting."

And I'm just left feeling kinda sad about it.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a reason the best fight scene in any ufotable's UBW is a 30 second spar that wasn't in the original source material, where they have the freedom to just kind of play around with the characters and go nuts.

Like, the big Archer vs Lancer fight where they flash all over the place is cool the first time you see it, less so when that exact fight happens 50 more times between various characters, only slowed to a crawl to leave room for inner monologues and plot exposition.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Some fascinating hot takes here.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i need to get around to BBB's second season, i had a blast with the first one

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I remember Fate Unlimited Budget Works having a weapon million strikes weapon clash where every individual attack was uniquely animated.

That's still amazing.

Oh yeah my previous post isn't intended to diminish the things they are good at (which is, essentially, keeping a large number of complex things on-model and convincingly in motion in a way many other studios struggle with), so much to say that consistency does occasionally come at the cost of feeling sterile

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a reason the best fight scene in any ufotable's UBW is a 30 second spar that wasn't in the original source material, where they have the freedom to just kind of play around with the characters and go nuts.

Like, the big Archer vs Lancer fight where they flash all over the place is cool the first time you see it, less so when that exact fight happens 50 more times between various characters, only slowed to a crawl to leave room for inner monologues and plot exposition.

Out of curiosity (since I'm really unfamiliar with Fate), what is the reason that franchise refers to the characters by their class instead of their name when there are tons of characters of a particular class? I figure there must be a story reason for it, but don't know what it is.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Lars wrote: »

Out of curiosity (since I'm really unfamiliar with Fate), what is the reason that franchise refers to the characters by their class instead of their name when there are tons of characters of a particular class? I figure there must be a story reason for it, but don't know what it is.

They want to keep their name and thus their ultimate weapon hidden, because it tells the opponent too much information about both the user and what ultimate technique they might try to use. But they can tell the class by the type of weapon they use.

Ranged? Archer. Sword? Saber. Spear? Lancer. Very angry person? Berserker. Because only one of each type is allowed by the ritual. Essentially each ritual allows each participant to summon one class each (ie they can only get one class, and they all want saber cos saber heroes are generally more powerful, but they take what they can get), but there's a huge number of heroes throughout history who could represent each individual class.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    ffffe125b0f0b9d450315cee7a78c9dafb59ac01.jpg

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Take a look at the Unlimited Cooking Works(Cooking With Emiya Family) anime, it's very bright and cheery.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    They want to keep their name and thus their ultimate weapon hidden, because it tells the opponent too much information about both the user and what ultimate technique they might try to use. But they can tell the class by the type of weapon they use.

Ranged? Archer. Sword? Saber. Spear? Lancer. Very angry person? Berserker. Because only one of each type is allowed by the ritual. Essentially each ritual allows each participant to summon one class each (ie they can only get one class, and they all want saber cos saber heroes are generally more powerful, but they take what they can get), but there's a huge number of heroes throughout history who could represent each individual class.

Thanks

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Basically, if they had known who Lancer was, they could get him over by just offering him a big plate of dog meat and he's done

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

That's still amazing.

Oh yeah my previous post isn't intended to diminish the things they are good at (which is, essentially, keeping a large number of complex things on-model and convincingly in motion in a way many other studios struggle with), so much to say that consistency does occasionally come at the cost of feeling sterile

I'm pretty sure it's also the producers throwing a shit ton of money at them for series that already had significant fanbases.

They did three series in the three years in between UBW and Demon Slayer, and I dare you to name any of them off the top of your head despite two of the three being franchises I'd wager everybody here is aware of. They've simply been memory holed cause they sucked.

The three were
    All RPG adaptations. God Eater, Tales of Zestiria, and Touken Ranbu (it's a mobile gacha CCG thing).

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Lars wrote: »

Servants are shadows of heroes from legend and history, and those heroes often had weaknesses that led to their downfall. A Servant is also summoned knowing and embodying their entire history, though they are always summoned while in their prime, so those weaknesses are immutable and can pierce through their defenses like nothing else. For example, the blue bodysuit dude with a spear is called Lancer while his real name is Cu Chulainn. If someone knew that they could make use of information from his legend to off him easily, like how Queen Medb did to kill him in his legend.

So when they're summoned they just go by the name of the class container they were summoned in and only tell their summoner their True Name. Though sometimes they don't even tell them. Or they might just go ahead and reveal their name which tends to be either because they're not a big deal and have no major weaknesses or they are an incredibly big deal and good luck matching their weaknesses if they have any at all. Someone like Karna, an Indian hero from the Mahabharata, would be an example of the latter and fighting him is a terrible idea.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Also, is noticeable that the only two characters that don't care about keeping their name secret is because they basically got or are two of the most famous and powerful demigods in history.

Ilya doesn't care because she has fucking Hercules. And she's a brat, but, come on.
    And Gilgamesh doesn't care because he's motherfucking Gilgamesh.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Gilgamesh is also the type to get angry at someone who attacks him not because he was attacked but because the person made him get off his high perch and actually touch the ground.

Narcissus could be summoned and he still wouldn't hold a candle to Gilgamesh

• Options
    I'm also not sure that the knowing the weakness/strength thing is ever actually used anywhere but in the PSP game because they wanted a section to be budget Phoenix Wright.

In reality, it's just so they can do an occasional surprise twist. You thought this person from history was a man, but they're actually a woman! You thought I was from the past, but I'm from the future! So on and so forth.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.