Options

[Wildermyth] Always kiss Turtles.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I think as I've played more of this the weakness in the procedural story telling generation becomes more clear. Eventually I get to a point where I just esc through all of it because I've seen it 4-5 times and know essentially what the best "answers" to most of it are. Same with some of the between story things like recruiting someone and so forth, they slow the game up a lot eventually without really adding any meaningful choices or interactions. I do love the whimsical style and charm, but this is becoming a bit of a barrier to me wanting to play more. I'm certain at some point I'm going to misremember something and end up screwing over a character because I forgot to read through all of it again to fully remember the context.

Will still kiss turtle every time though.
    Garthor wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Years of peace need to remove more of the cards. So more years of peace = more card removal.

Seems a bit silly that the penalty for full clearing a map (more cards) would be immediately removed by the reward for full clearing a map.

The problem is you're trading your better characters for it, making it a massive trap option. It's far better to just roam around with a stack of 5 characters and rush objectives quickly, keeping only what you need upgraded on them and winning ASAP. It seems contrary to the way the game is designed and what it wants you to actually do, but if you play on higher difficulties that's just what you do.

The procedural stuff is both a blessing and a curse. The curse is the stuff you've just mentioned. But I've also seen some fun variations in dialogue for main plot scenes based on what character personalities were present.

There's also some unintentionally funny moments. My legacy warrior who'd gone almost full crow (head, wings, hands and legs, but not the tail since he already has a scorpion one) had a hook adventure fire that involved recovering memories of his parents. At one point he talked about how he looked a bit like his non-crowheaded dad and I mentally had to disagree a bit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I think my favourite gag i've had from that was doing the Bones of Summer campaign... with the legacy character (The dad) being a Skeleton man.

So apparently this dead-beat dad just turned back up and he's a skeleton, and you know, no big deal!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So there's been an update that apparently decouples the Years of Peace from how well you did.

Guess that means thorough clearing of the map now means that your best units retire slightly less quickly.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Oh cool, you can use extra legacy points at campaign end to raise more myth levels.

• Options
    Wrapped a procedural campaign against the Drauven, still on Tragic Hero. It's actually pretty nice in that it hands out a T3 fire staff in the opening moments, but god you'll need it. Advanced Drauven can get right in the bin. The freakin' Pilots can just swoop into your backline and annihilate somebody, and the Gorelords, Redcloaks, and Pilots all have way way too many hit points.

I mean, maybe it's my fault a little bit for running all my mystics and hunters as glass cannons and I should just invest in the armored clothing instead of dodge/spell damage for a Drauven campaign?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Showed the trailer to a friend over the weekend and, when I saw he'd bought it on Steam, I picked it up too.

Finished the first campaign without reloading except, like, after stopping for things like work or food.

Two deaths, one of a gal met in chapter 2 who had gotten a hook hand in the fight before, and one of my starter trio, a gem-eyed and footed fire greatsword-weilder who was six days from retirement but died to the main boss. Her fire-arned hunter wife went on a bit of a rampage against the final boss's forces, but it was the daughter of the goofish romantic met in chapter 1 (who married the forest) that struck the final blow.

Going to play another game as set in stone/ironman before increasing the difficulty.

• Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't try playing the other story campaigns straight through, there's two more chapters of escalation. Everything starts gettin' crazy - I don't think you even get all the way up the main monster tree in a three-act campaign. What was the worst Gorgon you saw?

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't try playing the other story campaigns straight through, there's two more chapters of escalation. Everything starts gettin' crazy - I don't think you even get all the way up the main monster tree in a three-act campaign. What was the worst Gorgon you saw?

I want to say...hydra? Big mommas with tentacles.

• Options
    Wow, this game knows how to pile on the bullshit.

I'm doing the Deepist campaign, and I get to chapter 4 or 5. I've been rocking it!

I learned from painful experience that ya gotta defend incursions from a fortified area. So I built up several forts along the frontier. A new incursion, this time from the drauvin, comes marching out. I position my elite team behind some sturdy walls and wait.
    The drauvin pillaged the area next to us, then fucking turned around and attacked somewhere else. Never seen them actively plotting their moves instead of just following a set course.

So of course I follow. Lost half my elite team. Fell back, the drauvin jumped on the town my guys were recovering in. Part of the problem was that I had only been countering Deepist calamities, since, well, that's who I was fighting the whole game. So the drauvin were concentrated bullshit that I had no idea how to fight.

Now I'm down to one legacy hero who lost her artifact sword and one rookie. Fuuuck.

That's Wildermyth, baby!

The tragic (hero) thing is that I vould have ended the chapter since I'd revealed the last fight, but I chose to stick around and go for the clean sweep. Hey, it had worked before!

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Oof, that hurts to hear. I've never seen an invasion change course, usually they know right where they want to go and there's map footprints.

Then again, usually I hustle in to build fortifications and round everybody up.

Weird that the Drauven kicked your ass so bad, they should have like half the cards of the Deepists. But they are pretty strong (see upward) and if it was your first real big fight they were probably pulling out all manner of unfamilar goosery.

Something about invasions if you don't know: when you're fighting in defense, you can pile as many people as you want on the tile to fight them, you don't need a team of just 5.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Oof, that hurts to hear. I've never seen an invasion change course, usually they know right where they want to go and there's map footprints.

Weird that the Drauven kicked your ass so bad, they should have like half the cards of the Deepists. But they are pretty strong (see upward) and if it was your first real big fight they were probably pulling out all manner of unfamilar goosery.

Something about invasions if you don't know: when you're fighting in defense, you can pile as many people as you want on the tile to fight them, you don't need a team of just 5.

Yeah, these invasions only had footprints leading to one tile, then it would change targets.

I had never fought drauven seriously before, so yeah, I had no idea what their giant chicken units did, for example. I think they beat me more because I chased them down and fought in the wilderness without defensive positions or massed archers. Also I failed my "how do you want to approach this battle" rolls twice in the most XCOMy way possible.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I really hope they add a lot more random event/transformations to this. I’ve already started running into repeats and I’ve only done two of the story campaigns, including the tutorial. There’s still plenty of events I haven’t seen yet and I know that’s the nature of randomness, but I’ve had three characters stick their arms into fire, two characters name a rock after a battle, two characters get a gem stuck in their eye, etc.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I really hope they add a lot more random event/transformations to this. I’ve already started running into repeats and I’ve only done two of the story campaigns, including the tutorial. There’s still plenty of events I haven’t seen yet and I know that’s the nature of randomness, but I’ve had three characters stick their arms into fire, two characters name a rock after a battle, two characters get a gem stuck in their eye, etc.

The game is super easy to mod and I know there are already additional content packs out there that are considered to be pretty good. I haven't tried them out yet, as I'm still going through my 2nd campaign.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I like that they credit the author of each event. The game is about stories, and knowing that there were multiple people contributing writing to every playthrough adds to that theme.

• Options

Yeah, these invasions only had footprints leading to one tile, then it would change targets.

I had never fought drauven seriously before, so yeah, I had no idea what their giant chicken units did, for example. I think they beat me more because I chased them down and fought in the wilderness without defensive positions or massed archers. Also I failed my "how do you want to approach this battle" rolls twice in the most XCOMy way possible.

Ouch. Yeah, the setup roll going XCOM on you really hurts.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Ouch. Yeah, the setup roll going XCOM on you really hurts.

I've played through the Deepists missions a couple more times, both failing in the chapter 4 final mission. First time I thought I made the wrong narrative choice and got mobbed. Second time I took the other choice; whoops that just screwed me harder. Might have survived anyway, but the map was hard to decipher and the tunnel I thought was the exit was just a dead end with the exit on the other side of a non-destructible wall.

I keep learning these hard lessons and having to start over; maybe I should turn off ironman mode.

Nah.

EDIT: I have a wolf transformed hunter in my legacy, and when she gets both arms and head changed she just deletes bad guys off the map so fast I should change her name to Light Yagami.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    The wolf in love is a fearsome creature to behold. Brought one of them to the Drauven finale and the one they were in love with had Archery and Ember Arrows. It all felt rather unfair.

• Options
    I just got my first skeleton adventurer. Wish it had happened to a hunter or mystic instead of a warrior. It's always frusfrating when you get transform options that are bad for your class...though I supporlse it makes you get creative wirh leveling up.

So skeletons live a long time, I guess.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I just got my first skeleton adventurer. Wish it had happened to a hunter or mystic instead of a warrior. It's always frusfrating when you get transform options that are bad for your class...though I supporlse it makes you get creative wirh leveling up.

I had far too much fun with the Drauven campaign where you have to pick a legacy character to be the Prodigal parent.

So i picked my Skeleton Mystic, and the daughter is just cool with the fact that dad buggered off and came back a skeleton. It's just not that big a deal.

Also, Skeleton on warrior should be preddy good if you can get Zealous Leap/Battledance. that dagger does craaaazy damage as long as there's flanks.

• Options

I had far too much fun with the Drauven campaign where you have to pick a legacy character to be the Prodigal parent.

So i picked my Skeleton Mystic, and the daughter is just cool with the fact that dad buggered off and came back a skeleton. It's just not that big a deal.

Also, Skeleton on warrior should be preddy good if you can get Zealous Leap/Battledance. that dagger does craaaazy damage as long as there's flanks.

I had been building that character (the daughter of my wolf hunter) to be a Sentinel, and you can't get flanks when you are jumping at people's faces when they get too close.

I will figure out something. If I beat the campaign I'll consider her for a legacy MVP, I'm sure.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Well, I didn't beat the campaign that time or the next, but I finally beat the chapter 4 finale of the Deepist campaign. Turns out, if you need to get somewhere fast, it pays to just send a lot of sneaky hunters (and one tank to lag behind, smash faces, and hopefully get off with a maiming.

Now on to chapter 5...my mystic just started a wolf transformation. Hmm...let's gun for Indignance; that should be hilarious.

EDIT: I finally made it to the Drauven campaign, and holy shit, is it wrong that I kinda want them to win? These guys are cool mofos; I don't want to kill them.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Well, I didn't beat the campaign that time or the next, but I finally beat the chapter 4 finale of the Deepist campaign. Turns out, if you need to get somewhere fast, it pays to just send a lot of sneaky hunters (and one tank to lag behind, smash faces, and hopefully get off with a maiming.

Now on to chapter 5...my mystic just started a wolf transformation. Hmm...let's gun for Indignance; that should be hilarious.

EDIT: I finally made it to the Drauven campaign, and holy shit, is it wrong that I kinda want them to win? These guys are cool mofos; I don't want to kill them.

Yeah, the Drauven are maybe presented the most sympathetically in their campaign, though in more incidental events they're also pretty much the only faction that does big-scale slavetaking.

Some people might take the ending as a bit of a cop-out, but I think it's alright:
    though it kinda borrows extensively from FFXIV in that the Drauven effectively summon a primal and then get tempered.

Seen a different way, though, the Drauven campaign is about preventing one of those disasters that reverberate for a thousand years that leave one of the other factions behind.

• Options

Yeah, the Drauven are maybe presented the most sympathetically in their campaign, though in more incidental events they're also pretty much the only faction that does big-scale slavetaking.

Some people might take the ending as a bit of a cop-out, but I think it's alright:
    though it kinda borrows extensively from FFXIV in that the Drauven effectively summon a primal and then get tempered.

Seen a different way, though, the Drauven campaign is about preventing one of those disasters that reverberate for a thousand years that leave one of the other factions behind.

I have since finished the Drauven campaign, and their regular NPCs are way more sympathetic than their boss upgrade. Honestly, screw that guy in chapter 5.

• Options

I have since finished the Drauven campaign, and their regular NPCs are way more sympathetic than their boss upgrade. Honestly, screw that guy in chapter 5.

The Drauv also have some "elite units" accompanying them in their story battles, and I think it's kind of telling that I was actually relieved to see them. Sure, they were upgrades over regular Stumps and Darts, but compared to a Deeven or a Gorelord? Easy pickings. If the elite are what the Drauv are "supposed to be" then it's very clear they all lose something in the process.

I could see a mod where civilization is much less human-centric, where more peaceable elements of the major factions can create heroes and even have their own cities. (Or, like, Riverfolk for the Gorgons and Unending for the Morthagi, representing peaceful factions of the remote society that's sending the largely cannon-fodder faction troops against them.) Every story already has a faction you're "at peace" with, that doesn't occupy sites or get calamities.

Basically what I'm saying is I really liked the Deepist hand up in the intro arc and I haven't seen its like since.

• Options
    edited October 2021

The Drauv also have some "elite units" accompanying them in their story battles, and I think it's kind of telling that I was actually relieved to see them. Sure, they were upgrades over regular Stumps and Darts, but compared to a Deeven or a Gorelord? Easy pickings. If the elite are what the Drauv are "supposed to be" then it's very clear they all lose something in the process.

I could see a mod where civilization is much less human-centric, where more peaceable elements of the major factions can create heroes and even have their own cities. (Or, like, Riverfolk for the Gorgons and Unending for the Morthagi, representing peaceful factions of the remote society that's sending the largely cannon-fodder faction troops against them.) Every story already has a faction you're "at peace" with, that doesn't occupy sites or get calamities.

Basically what I'm saying is I really liked the Deepist hand up in the intro arc and I haven't seen its like since.

The characters DO start with a swath of stat bonuses based on being "human" so I doubt it would even be that difficult to mod in nonhuman races.

I do wish my pet morthagi shovel-bot could gain levels. He's A Very Good Bot, but I don't want him to share the same fate as Helmio's sommelier (one-shot by a Pilot).

Dracomicron on
  • Options

Ehhh, i lost a lot of sympathy for the Deepist in any shape after doing their arc.

I'd say the faction i feel the most sympathy for is the Morthagi, because by and large the onyl reason they're a problem is some guy throwing a temper tantrum over his lover making life choices he disagreed with. Gorgons are basically throwing a tantrum that the world has changed, Thrixll are well, yes. Drauven are also symapthic, but they're also operating on very alien to us culture mores, which is a huge driver of why they keep having problems with people (Which aint to say humans treat them right).

• Options

Ehhh, i lost a lot of sympathy for the Deepist in any shape after doing their arc.

I'd say the faction i feel the most sympathy for is the Morthagi, because by and large the onyl reason they're a problem is some guy throwing a temper tantrum over his lover making life choices he disagreed with. Gorgons are basically throwing a tantrum that the world has changed, Thrixll are well, yes. Drauven are also symapthic, but they're also operating on very alien to us culture mores, which is a huge driver of why they keep having problems with people (Which aint to say humans treat them right).

I did find it interesting that the Morthagi origin story seemed like it played out again during the campaign. Like people keep choosing it, and people keep getting angry about it.

• Options

I did find it interesting that the Morthagi origin story seemed like it played out again during the campaign. Like people keep choosing it, and people keep getting angry about it.

I've done both the endings for it, but i honestly dislike the one where you turn on them. While there's an argument for it... ultiamtely, the only reason as said the Morthagi are even a problem is because someone threw a temper tantrum over it. Unless there's something i've missed, the Eternals? or whatever they're called odnt hurt anyone, dont actually do anything gross or nasty otherthan to themselves, consensually in which case, you know, that's there choice - they seem pretty happy with their immortal life, and hey, power to em.

• Options
    I think I need to go up to the highest difficulty if I do another legacy campaign. I started a carved in stone 3 chapter with a 5 star flamesoul hunter, a one star skeleton mystic, and a regular 2 star warrior with fancy weapons, and it was kinda a joke. I took very few maimings and no deaths.

We 2 shot the final boss, though this sort of game is more about getting to the boss through the gauntlet than actually killing it.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I think I need to go up to the highest difficulty if I do another legacy campaign. I started a carved in stone 3 chapter with a 5 star flamesoul hunter, a one star skeleton mystic, and a regular 2 star warrior with fancy weapons, and it was kinda a joke. I took very few maimings and no deaths.

We 2 shot the final boss, though this sort of game is more about getting to the boss through the gauntlet than actually killing it.

What with legacy points getting you more myth promotions now, I feel like unless you have a starting squad on lockdown you might as well keep it on the basic difficulty if you can stand it.

Bumping up just combat difficulty rather than both that and campaign difficulty might be good too. Walking Lunch campaign difficulty is real nasty.

Campaign Deepists are pretty terrible, no question. But you get occasional events with them, like if you have a gemtouched character, where they seem more like a Kyoren-era way to legitimately live underground. They could be a peaceable people, outside the campaign. Peaceable Thrixl would probably just be mystics with weird familiars.

Glazius on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    What with legacy points getting you more myth promotions now, I feel like unless you have a starting squad on lockdown you might as well keep it on the basic difficulty if you can stand it.

Bumping up just combat difficulty rather than both that and campaign difficulty might be good too. Walking Lunch campaign difficulty is real nasty.

I have already gotten a number of extra promotions off of Legacy Points from my last couple Tragic Hero campaigns, and am looking for new challenge.

To that end I started a legacy 5 chapter on Walking Lunch, and, as I pretty much did have a squad on lockdown (bear warrior, skelly mage, fire hunter), I have been doing okay up to Chapter 3. Dreading the moment my bear retires or my skelly dies to some Pilot jumping past my front line, though.

EDIT: There it is. Lost my skelly and a good hunter and a crow warrior to a strength 10 site I didn't clear the infestations for.

Managed to get through with my mythwalker firesoul hunter, but now working on the final battle of chap 3 with a suboptimal crew.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Clearing infestations always seemed like a bit of a trap. I guess you can always do it with three total newbies, and sometimes you have to do it if you want to contain the spread from a site behind a plot lock (though that's more of a generic campaign issue). But the time it takes never seemed worth it with calamities ticking away.

• Options
    Clearing infestations always seemed like a bit of a trap. I guess you can always do it with three total newbies, and sometimes you have to do it if you want to contain the spread from a site behind a plot lock (though that's more of a generic campaign issue). But the time it takes never seemed worth it with calamities ticking away.

I generally don't clear unless I have a 3 person B Team (which is one reason I always hire every warm body I can from events), but if you have sufficient calamities and there is enough infestation, it can make a site unmanageable by cranking up the card count too much.

In Walking Lunch, I ran into that in chapter 3.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    This game is amazing and some of the procedural stuff works a lot better than I expecting (until you see it multiple times :P). Like a couple times I had to back off from the game because fuck you with the onions.

That said I'm in ch4 of the Deepist campaign now and really hoping my current murder-pair doesn't retire. Two legacy characters, one a full fire transformation warrior (who loves books..) the other their fully human archer lover. Either of them is fully capable of killing five+ units in the first turn if things go right. Between the two of them they just wreck face. I have a stack of five and then those two and the missions with the duo are often easier!

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    This game is amazing and some of the procedural stuff works a lot better than I expecting (until you see it multiple times :P). Like a couple times I had to back off from the game because fuck you with the onions.
    The "skip" button is your friend.

EDIT: There is a new 3 chapter legacy campaign called "Sunswallower's Wake" that is pretty interesting; both the Drauven and Morthagi are established enemies, with a potential other parties. I failed on Tragic Hero in Chapter 2 because I wasn't paying attention on my first run.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    You have to unlock that one via in-game events. Though it's not the one I thought, I got it unlocked via
    leaving a bunch of corpses out in the rain

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    You have to unlock that one via in-game events. Though it's not the one I thought, I got it unlocked via
    leaving a bunch of corpses out in the rain

I had it unlocked when I loaded it up after the update. Must remember my choices.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I bumped the difficulty up one after finishing the intro campaign, and now I’m getting my ass kicked by the chapter 3 end fight of the first proper campaign. Endless bloody Coachmen making things unmanageable with fire zones and hp buffs.

Am I paying the price for never using LPs to cancel calamities?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I bumped the difficulty up one after finishing the intro campaign, and now I’m getting my ass kicked by the chapter 3 end fight of the first proper campaign. Endless bloody Coachmen making things unmanageable with fire zones and hp buffs.

Am I paying the price for never using LPs to cancel calamities?

Probably. You should be canceling SOME calamities! Specifically, cards that give a monster +2 damage can fuck right the hell off.

In early playthroughs, or when you don't have a lineup of legacy murderhobos, I think you should cancel most calamities that benefit the campaign main enemy and let the others go.

Also, some chapter fights are worse than others. I remember one where you have to run because you quickly get swamped; the trick is bringing all hunters and people who are about to retire anyway.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I made it through in the end. It was one where you start in a building a get rushed from all sides, so the trick was to get the hell out of there to a corner of the map ASAP. This seemed to get me out of aggro range for half the spawns so I could mop them up individually once my corner was clear. That and not taking any mages who just feed more fire and rubble fuel to the coachmen. And remembering that archers can ignore armour with stealth.

MhCw7nZ.gif