Options

[Roguebook] It's like Slay the Spire with two playable heroes at once.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    My mistake! Judge away then!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also, to be clear: I wouldnt be so hard on the game if i didnt see the potential in it.

If i think a game is genuinely irredeemable, i tend to go it sucks and walk off. I'm so hard on games like Skyrim because they could be great, but are let down by various factors (shallow gameplay, too many bugs etcera). Similarly, with this - there's a lot of heart in this game! Same with Monster Train. But like Monster Train, i fear there's deepset enough problems that the game may not be fixable. I dunno! Still explorign! still learning the game! it's very pretty, and there are things to really like.

Again, i think the exploration is genuinely really great, and it's one of the strongest things i've seen in a roguelike. I still think it could be better, but it's a very cool mechanic.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ...And i just lost a run because i had zero indication that i hadnt actually unlocked the boss node for walking on, despite the fact it *looked* like i had.

This is really rapidly killing my desire to keep playing. Like why is that even a thing? Why is it not made visibly clear if the boss node is accessible or not? why ist here not a warning that you havent unlocked the node before you spend your last ink?

That's not good gameplay, or anything like that, this is pure the UI fucked you over and you have no idea until you've wrapped up.

So that's... twice now i've had the game fuck me over and hard because of UX issues that just should. not. be happening.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false[img][/img]

Games are suppsoed to be fun, developers. if your game keeps creating hideous feel bad moments that feel out of the player's control, you have stuffed up.

I genuinely actually feel awful after discovering this - that's a nearly 2 hour run down the drain because where you can walk on the boss arena is defined super narrowly.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Pardon my ignorance since I haven't bought the game yet, but doesn't the map already have a clear line to the boss? Like, I feel that using ink should be primarily for exploring the map to unlock stuff or face battles. You should never run out of ink and not be able to fight the boss.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance since I haven't bought the game yet, but doesn't the map already have a clear line to the boss? Like, I feel that using ink should be primarily for exploring the map to unlock stuff or face battles. You should never run out of ink and not be able to fight the boss.

One of the epilogue challanges (the equilvent to ascensions) makes it so there's no longer a clear line to the boss, and you have to manually explore your way there.

Which is cool, i'm fine with that. I'm just not cool with punting an entire run because i didnt connect exactly the right tile.

Like if that's the case, why doesnt the boss just spawn with impassble terrain all around it except for the correct connecting tile? This is just a pure new player trap.

Gargh! There's so much to like in the game, but bloody hell.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah I agree.
    I just kind of assumed the game was in early access due to some of the basic things I've seen lacking.
    Bleed is definitely broken as a mechanic and there's for sure some hinkyness with the ally system.

I also was kind of expecting their to be more characters.

Still a really great game though. I just think it could use some further refinement and polish.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    One thing I’ve learned is that you can’t play FAST.

Whenever you do an action (even on the map), wait a second. It sometimes takes the game a bit to resolve all the effects. You can really see it when using combo cards.

So if I just slow down a bit, everything resolves and it keeps a lot of “wait, why that?” from happening to me.

This is Bad, I agree. But it’s probably the sort of thing that will get resolved later on.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Knocked out E2 and E3.

E2 was Aurora/Ratman. E3 was Aurora/Sharra, with a very silly power stacking/multi hit approach that lead to a lot of turn 1 kills of everything. I'll post the vods later.

There's also been a patch with patch notes here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1076200/view/2996564740812962771

Some good stuff, it seems!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Hey look, they nerfed bleed really hard~
    The rest feels ... a bit nitty-gritty compared to what I would expect to see? One of the things I wish they quantified better was the average epilogue level people were playing at. I know I'm baseline "better at this game" than anybody who has never played a Roguelite before or to any serious level, but some of those damage numbers surprise me and I'd be curious if that's possibly because people are playing at harder levels or because they're less experienced.

• Options
    Hey look, they nerfed bleed really hard~
    The rest feels ... a bit nitty-gritty compared to what I would expect to see? One of the things I wish they quantified better was the average epilogue level people were playing at. I know I'm baseline "better at this game" than anybody who has never played a Roguelite before or to any serious level, but some of those damage numbers surprise me and I'd be curious if that's possibly because people are playing at harder levels or because they're less experienced.

What E level are you at? I'm rapidly climbing up, already at E5. Frankly it feels very snowbally with the epilouge talents - i havent even invested in the obviosuly bullshit max health ones, but you gain so much power from everywhere it';s very silly

• Options
    edited July 2021
    8? I played one more run after that to specifically knock out the very dumb combat-2 epilogue by itself.
    I've been much more invested in One Step From Eden, so haven't really followed up with Roguebook. It's just not appealing enough right now for me to grind against.

[Edit]
    Tried to give it a shot given the new patch, but had an error crash the game late Act 1. Yep, nope, that's not gonna fly. Back to stepping away ...

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    the talent "Allies cost 1 less" does seem like an outlier

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »

When you say outlier, in what sense?

I think it's pretty powerful (most things that save you energy in this are just because faerie wells are not reliable). But it realy depends on the right deck to work out

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »

When you say outlier, in what sense?

I think it's pretty powerful (most things that save you energy in this are just because faerie wells are not reliable). But it realy depends on the right deck to work out

yeah, really strong given how many useful 1/2 cost allies are floating around

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Right, i'm with ya now.

Also here's the Vods for E2, E3, and E4.

All were with Babushkaturtle+ another hero. Currently in the middle of an E5 run which is hopefully going to be a win with Sword lass and Ratlad.

• Options
    Stalled out on E7, so i've packed it in there for now. I'll post the E5 and E6 runs later. Some of the asc stuff is cool and interesting, and it's very annoying that it's also stapled to generic "everything gets tougher!!!!" ontop of not being able to activate multiple ones of the same tier (i.e if you pick the t5 vision, you cant also take the t3).

There's also UX issues like not being able to discard a pickup, you're forced to discard an item already in your inventory. (Greedy heros!)

Really noticing the lack of StS style potions - I think it's something that could really help smooth out some of the rough edges with the combat variance (which is very much there. Stuff like Fugu are way overtuned for a normal fight)

• Options
    I really wish we had run/build history.

I did some kind of stupid thing on E1 where I was looking at vaults twice, and vaults would have one random gemmed card in them. Also retaining all of Sorocco's cards. Also holding over mana from one turn to the next. And just generally being gemmed out to the max.

Yadda yadda Sorocco hits the Avatar of Mist on turn 3 for 420 (nice). (Turns 1 and 2 got him down below 300)

• Options
    akjak wrote: »
    I really wish we had run/build history.

I did some kind of stupid thing on E1 where I was looking at vaults twice, and vaults would have one random gemmed card in them. Also retaining all of Sorocco's cards. Also holding over mana from one turn to the next. And just generally being gemmed out to the max.

Yadda yadda Sorocco hits the Avatar of Mist on turn 3 for 420 (nice). (Turns 1 and 2 got him down below 300)

Yeah, run history not existing is really werid. Honestly i'm finding the lack of score mechanic really werid too, and i don't even particularly like StS's score mechanic other than as a vauge ballpark for how powerful a run was. (it has some weird incentive's around maximizing score that promote poor play, mostly around the need to perfect things). But some sense of... something around a run would be good. Lack of seeds is another thing!

@ArcticLancer I've just hit E8 and honestly, my interest in the game is rapidly dropping now.

There's a lot to like in the game, but there's enough... not quite iterated on stuff to really hurt things. Like let's take Exploration, which i think is by far the strongest thing the game does.

Problem: There's actually very little strategy to exploration late game. Because there's no indication at all if a tile will have something on it or not, once you've linked up to as many revealers as you can, the only thing left to do is spam your inks and brushes randomly and hope. At the very least, i think Faerie wells should be visible on the map, and probably alchemists? I'd like to see some sort of marker that indicates "There's something here" on the map, even if you dont know what it is. or perhaps "Somewhere in these Y tiles there's a faerie well". Stuff that would encourage more strategy to it. Because the Exploration mechanic is overall great and probably the biggest thing the game has going for it.

Arguably i think the T3 exploration modifier where you start with a full belt of inks and no brushes, but get brushes from every normal fight and inks from elites is a lot better for the game

Drafting wise... While i like the gem mechanic, it's not exactly balanced, which is hardly suprsing. It's also questionable (to my mind) at least how most of the ways you get powerful are actually divorced from the fights in the game. Elites and bosses make you directly more powerful, but normal fights are mostly just a source of gold and exploration.

The way the character's deaths work out leads to a real failure cascade, and i'm not sure i like that at all. It's a werid extension of how health is suprisngly easy to gain in this game... but only if you're snowballing. Like monter train snowballing seems to be the name of the game, and it feels like if you dont hit the right point about 50% of the way through the game, you will very rapidly go splat. I'm hestiant to dig to deep into this thoguh because StS can engage the same feeling until you've really gotten good at the game. It's very punitive.

That said, there's real pain points like the fact that Faerie wells are so random, yet provide so much power.

Events feel like they're a bit rare. Honestly, i almost want to say the maps in general are a bit too empty - i think if there was More Stuff, exploring randomly would feel a bit more rewarding.

I'm not sure i'm done with the game yet, but i'm feeling close to. It's a shame - there's a lot to like here, but ther'es a lot where i think the game is just let down by it's self.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    My friend who originally encouraged me to pick up the game poked me about their design contest, and then we spent like an hour in voice chat talking about shit. I don't like the way this contest is being run (it's strongly going to favour early entries because they'll accumulate votes now and remain visible, and being discoverable after a week is going to be basically impossible unless you have a serious community backing of your own), but it's definitely making me think about the cards and mechanics.
    I feel like I crystalized some thoughts while talking about it though ...
    I like Sharra because she mostly plays around swapping and I think swapping is the most fun part of combat. I also think it's under-utilized because mechanically the biggest thing it does is just determine which of your characters takes damage. Effects that trigger off swapping feel really good because they inherently drive little combos in your turn which makes things more engaging and increases the interest of the maximization puzzle. But combat otherwise feels a bit flat, and I think that's because this is a game where - as I've mentioned before - almost every enemy in the game scales its damage. This means that dealing damage is powerful, but dealing damage while also managing an effective defense is even better. Hey, guess which character (characters, if we're being honest) is really good at that?

Sorrocco has probably the best defense cards in the game, and I recall has a lot of talent benefits to being placed in the front position. He's also pretty good at dealing damage while gaining defense at the same time, and further mitigates damage by being the primary AOE character and offering the easiest solutions to stealth/taunt enemies (which tend to be the biggest threats in fights they are present in). I think he just has some of the wonkier cards in the game which overall dilute his pool, and that's the main reason he's a bit less good than Siefer. Sorrocco is incredibly straightforward and good at the important parts of what he does.

Seifer literally does everything. Rage is meant to be a give and take, but I feel like rage cards more than pay for the life lost, not even mentioning all the methods he has to gain it without face-tanking anything. A plethora of reliable damage, some very effective blocks, enemy debuffs, health recovery, a strong suite of allies and ally buffs. The guy can pick pretty much any lane he wants and go to town. Like, what else can you even say? It doesn't feel like he has real weaknesses, and any other hero you pair him with just makes him even better.
    Rage is fun, and there's a lot of fun ideas in Siefer's kit, but he could reasonably lack something and these elements would still shine through. :P

Aurora I haven't actually played much and don't have all her cards. I couldn't make a fair read if I wanted to. But my observation is that she doesn't seem like an inherently fun character, so much as one who offers a lot of the most accessible ways to break the game?

Obviously a big grain of salt is warranted with this because I've got a whole, what, 15 hours worth of actually playing this game under my belt? But I might give some more thought to making a set of cards for the contest and see where that lands ...

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    I think you're pretty on the ball right now with the characters.

Aurora particularly suffers from being.. The Support Character. by which i mean, i'm never taking Aurora (So far) because i think i can do crazy things with her - but she's a great meatshield because of her full heal, and her suite of cards has the best set of support options.

Conversely, most other characters feel to steal a term from Magic the Gathering: Parasitic. Seifer is the obvious example here - Rage is a purely seifer thing. So if you want to do lots of things with Seifier... you take Seifer cards. Maybe if you're lucky you get the "Letting the other character get punched makes rage" and you have Aurora. (Side note: Anyone else Deeply Cynical by the way they keep throwing Garfield's name around? It smacks of the whole Auter theory, and to that i say: fucking bollocks. a good game is a product of multiple people. MtG in it's current state has very little to do with Garfield, and artifact was uh, well. Yes.)

Sorrocco is probably in the best place, very few of his cards are strictly paraistic, and his Headbang mechanic has combo on it, which engages well with other characters (combo, in general feels like something that should have been spread around more liberally + had more versions - giving more defense, doing damage etc). On the other hand, "Put crit on things and then explode them in one shot" is... Well, that's what most of his runs have felt like to me, even if the shoot em up run was funny.

Sharra's mechanics are somewhat better here, but she also mostly just cares about stacking as much power as possbile and then shredding everything with multihits. Her dagger cards are again parastic, and ontop of that, not overly interesting either.

Re: the contest. I'm not interested. if you read the rules they outright say they can say whoever wins and it has nothing to do with the votes. Beyond that, i'm always very "Mmmm no" about stuff that wants you to do design labor for a company for free.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I agree with you on principle RE "design a thing for us" because this is going to crowdsource a lot of content for them to sift through, but I also just enjoy design exercises and don't mind committing my own content when the bar for this is quite low time and effort-wise. It's kind of odd to offer a prize that's actually worth something, but that it's all going to one person is rather butts.

Anyway, apparently that run that crashed auto-saved so I picked it back up. That Siefer relic that makes him perma-enraged is pretty broken, huh? Or at the very least I have a strong combination of things I would say are over-tuned. Turn 1, just playing out cards, doing literally nothing fancy or tricksy ...
    g68gb3zdl0bw.jpg
    Yes he died immediately on turn 2. <_<

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I havent even seen that relic, but the idea there's a relic that just... bypasses a mechanic like rage is very Silly.

Honestly, thinking more on it: Part of the reason that Seifer is so strong (and yes, he does too much of everything), is he's also one of the only characters with a clear identity. People have made the MtG comparsion to this, but Red/White looks very different to Red/Green looks very different to Red/Blue in that game. And i'm not convinced things look this different in this game.

Maybe clear idenity is a bad way to say it - depth of identity perhaps. I hate to bring up the StS well, but Even with the various classes having recognizable styles of decks and combat approaches, there's a loot of variety to them.

Like consider Ironclad and Strength decks. Probably the simplest of simple stuff - stack this buff that makes you do 1 more damage for every stack of it you have, hit things real hard. But is your payoff card Sword Boomerang (Multi hit attack that hits things randomly, is cheap), or is it Heavy Blade (bigger multiplier, only hits a single target, costs more). Are you using Reaper to get HP back? How do you scale your strength - there's at least 3 distinct styles (Linear, Exponential, Flat) to that. How are you enduring hits on the way to having enough strength to win? Feast to tank stuff with Max HP then recover through reaper? Corruption to burn through your defensive cards so you can end the fight in a single killing strike?

And you can apply this to all the characters in StS - they have broad themes, but a lot of ways to iterate and recombine those themes. I once beat A20 in slay the spire with 2 strength, the +Healing% Flower... and creating Infinite 0 cost reapers, so it just slowly ground down everything by spamming reaper. Weirdest fucking deck i've ever played

Power decks or bleed decks in this just do not have anyway near this variety, ontop of being pretty parasitic. (So far my observation has been Seifer really doesnt give a shit about power because a lot of his damage comes from Raging or just overwhelming stuff with aggressive allies, usually both. Sharra wants power like crazy but can also do lots of stuff with bleed, Sorocco favors power to combine with crit, Aurora is ??? because i dont really draft her to be offensive)

The act 3 shop needs looking at too - it's just Way Too Much power.

Also it implies the racoon is some sort of horrific greedy jackass which is a bit of a flavor fail.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Aurora has frogs

• Options
    edited July 2021
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Aurora has frogs

Which are just another version of the ally mechanic everyone has - it's not really distinct (other than it's stacking and decreasing), you know? I guess you can go nova with frogs with the right deck, but honestly frogs have basically always ended up as "Yep, some frogs happened" for me. Either way, outside of a single card they dont really interact with power - she has her werid "This is a multi hit if you can draw it repetadly" card, but htat's never seemed worth the effort.

Also, how many act 3 bosses are there? Avatar of Greed and Avatar of Mist... is there a third one? (Mist is werid with his take damage from cards that dissolve, but there's very few dissolving damage cards outside of daggers and sips)

Another UX issue: You know the Act 3 boss from the start, but you can never predict the act 2 or act 1 boss. Big deal given how nasty things are (like the Soul Eater who heals from eating allies, or Mr. Random Robot)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    You only know the act 3 boss if you’ve chosen the perk for it.

• Options
    You only know the act 3 boss if you’ve chosen the perk for it.

Right, i figure it's such an obvious upgrade most people will take it form the word go. Information is power and all that.

• Options
    Aurora has one other power scaling card (i think it's called splash), and it hits for each sip you have and then discards your sips. With the right treasures/cards, sips can stack up pretty quick

also you are correct, those are the only 2 final bosses in the game

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Aurora has one other power scaling card (i think it's called splash), and it hits for each sip you have and then discards your sips. With the right treasures/cards, sips can stack up pretty quick

also you are correct, those are the only 2 final bosses in the game

That's so weird. Why go 3 bosses, 3 bosses, 2 bosses?

Anyway, i think i'm about done at this point - i dont feel that there's anything left for me to really get out of the game, 39 hours in (this is inflated, i've def left the game running for chunks of time), and enough runs to be at E9 with a couple of failed runs. At the very least i think i'm done trying to climb the Epilouges because it's ceased to be interesting.

Game's got a lot of potential, but 1.0 ready it is not. between UX issues, crashes (i've triggered multiple), and just general gameplay balance problems, the silly arse meta progression...

It's very pretty looking, and a lot of it's basic ideas are cool. but the implantation is half baked. Between everything we've talked about with basics like Fast Mode and run history, to the map problems... Hell, there's not even a daily runs type thing, and that's basically a staple of the genre. I dont even like daily runs and i'm baffled by it's exclusion!

One thing that's really sticking out to me is how boring it's Epilogues are. The final tiers as far as i can tell are all just flat penalities - 60% more expensive, 3 brushes per chapter instead of 5, and i'm guessing the final tier of offensive is similar and just makes things hit way harder (Anyone able to speak to what it does?). And all these staple you with +enemy damage and +enemy hp, as well as reducing the gold you get...

Which given everything revolves around gold - relic buying, card drafting... Yick.

It's a crying shame because there's some really good ideas in the epilogues. I'd love to combine runs that had No boss path, Golden Fairies, and Inverse Ink/Brushes (You get brushes from normal fights and start each chapter with an inventory of inks, while elites give you more ink). But instead the higher levels are just penalties that dont really shift your tactics that much, they just narrow the window. I'm not sure i've got the langauge to express here - Like in StS the window of things that work is narrower, but it's mostly narrower down to needing to be a lot more calculated in your tactics, rather than just being able to roll the game with anything. The difficulty is in effect, transformative.

This just feels like the difficulty pushes you harder in the Go Big Go Home. Which given it's still shockingly easy to assemble a Go Big effect, you're mostly just hoping you hit the right bits before you find a fight you cant explode.

Some other stuff that jumps out: There's nowhere near enough relics in the game, i've seen so many repeats. Enemies are very boring overall, with most of them just being generic "They scale rapidly". And boy, do they.

There's other stuff i could probably ramble on, but i dont actually want to shit the thread up for people who are still enjoying the game. Ultimately, for anyone looking to buy it i'd put it as "This is still an early acess game. Get it on sale, and dont expect long-term playability unless it sees singifanct updates". But much like monster train, i think some of these issues are too deep in the game's DNA for it to change much given it's past release. You'd be talking about Stellaris level reworks (I'd target the Map and the Epilogue systems as the big issues), and that game only gets away with it because it couples them with Very Expensive and Expansive DLC.

It is very pretty though, i'll give it that.

• Options
    I believe the game has been a bit rushed out the gate

Also, while it is very nice looking, I'm not sure how much credit I want to give it on that front because a lot of the assets are re-used from their previous game, Faeria

It's a small of team of less than 20 people so a whole new supply of art assets and such, in addition to the animations, is probably a bit much to ask, but in combination with the other issues and bugs in the game, it feels like it was made as quickly and cheaply as possible

again, that's probably unfair to an indie studio, but that's the impression i get anyway

I still have fun with it, though

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've never done a single daily run in StS, so at least that wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me here lol

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I don't necessarily disagree with anything @The Zombie Penguin is saying here, BUT....

(*only on E2-3 on RB, low-ass ascension on StS, medium ascension on MT)

I like Roguebook better overall than StS. Whenever I play StS, I'm on edge the whole time and I always feel like I'm scraping and scrambling to stay alive. (Note: I am not very good at StS). RB is a lot more relaxing than either StS or MT. For players like me, the "talent tree" stuff is a nice boon.

Unlike StS and MT, RB has a lot more ways to salvage a run. I've had very few runs where I reached a point of "welp, this isn't going anywhere." Plus, even a failed run will net you some pages so it's not just all a waste of time.

I think there's a fairly solid 20-30 hours here, and I have high hopes for additions and improvements.

Admittedly, a big part of my preference is for the art. I appreciate the design of both MT and StS, but Roguebook is just so much prettier and charming. It just feels less grim when playing it compared to the others. That's purely a personal preference tho.

• Options
    That's very fair! I think asthetically Roguebook is grand, and I can appreciate finding this easier and enjoying it more for that. Different strokes for different folks

• Options
    Looks like Roguebook is getting some free DLC sometime Soontm. Something called Gem mines - which look to be mini dugneons on the map? Interesting! Super sparse on the details.

• Options
    I already talked to Zombie about this, but my last run involved hitting on turn 1 for 96 damage Toadsplosions. That was quite silly and delightful. No time to bleed, only toads. :p

For anybody still monitoring the thread and interested in the health of the game et al, I finished and submitted my card designs to the contest. If you're so inclined, feel free to look up my submission (same username) and upvote them if you actually like them. It seems like there is very little native traffic, especially compared to the volume of entries, so it does actually help sift through the clutter. <3

• Options
    I designed a card for Aurora only to find out it already exists.

I guess I’m “good” at card design lol

• Options
    It's not fair for you to say that and not tell us what it is ;P

• Options
    It was Time Stop, except I called it BLUE SHELL

• Options
    It was Time Stop, except I called it BLUE SHELL

To be honest, your name is way better than Time Stop.

• Options
    So Roguebook got a patch.

...and some of the most amaetur hour patch notes i've ever seen.
    Hey everyone.

We welcome you to our latest patch. Version 1.5 has addressed so many issues it's hard to know where to start. The team has been working non-stop since our launch in June. This patch is the fruits of our labour, it not only includes fixes for known issues, improvements on QoL, and directly implemented community feedback... buuuut also NEW FREE content too. The Gem Mines!

As always, your feedback is essential in streamlining the Roguebook experience for everyone. Please take your time to have a look at how we've improved the game for you, and if you like, leave a comment below. We're reading everything. Thank you.

NEW FEATURE: GEM MINES

Enter the mine, defeat the traps, loot the treasure. Gem Mines are a new unlockable area to explore.

Gem Mine features:

Traps

The gem mines are filled with traps. Each trap you defeat gives you access to more treasure.

New traps to encounter:
    Swinging Guillotine
    Crystal Door
    Living Wall
    Debilitator
    Puzzling Wall
    Orb of Resistance
    The Three Flowers

Traps provide unique challenges to defeat them within a certain amount of turns. (Or in some cases… survive them).

New map and battle environment

Gem mines feature an entirely new underground map tileset and battle background.

Unlocking the Gem Mines

You’ll find Gem Mines available as a new Embellishment.

Once you have the Gem Mine embellishment, every new run will have a guaranteed Gem Mine. Gem Mines are always located in the Oversky.

The price for entering a Gem Mine is 2 brushes.

MORE NEW FEATURES

Linux !!!Linux !!! The long awaited Linux version is available now.
    Configurable keyboard hotkeys have been added to the game. You can adjust these from the settings menu. (Note that this is the first implementation, and we have plans to add more hero related ones in the future.).
    Note : this feature will be fully complete with the patch 1.6 with notably the movement of the heroes.
    New unique animations have been added to the game, including Mortars, Hailstorm, Rain of fish, and Soul Eater eating allies.
    The fluidy in the play-cards have been much improved. You can now spam cards very quickly.

NEW CONTENT
    New Narrative Events
    Rain of Fish: A unique event that requires Aurora in the party. (We plan to implement unique events for each hero in the future)
    Imperial Camp: Choose to train with the troops, or swear an oath to the emperor.
    Wheel of Chaos: Take it with you, or spin it for good luck.
    Soul Pact: Offer part of your soul for additional power.

New Sharra Cards
    Lead
    1 cost
    Rare
    Charge
    Attack for 9.
    Increase this damage by 3 for each Ally you control.

Windstorm Archer
    2 cost
    Rare
    {ally}, {aggressive}
    {activate} - Attack an enemy. Lose {aggressive} this turn.

Valkyrie
    2 cost
    Epic
    Attack the leading enemy for {dynamic_number|power|5}, gain {faeria|1} and draw a card.
    Repeat for each {courage} you have. Lose all your courage. ({dynamic_number|courageCounter|0})

New Sorocco Cards
    Sentinel Strike
    1 cost
    Common
    "Attack for {dynamic_number|power|10}.
    If this kills an enemy, gain {block|8}."

Wild Swing
    2 cost
    Rare
    "Discard your hand.
    Attack for {dynamic_number|power|0}. (6 times the number of cards discarded.)"

Ulani
    0 cost
    Epic
    "{ally}
    At the start of your turn, add a random card to your hand for each point of {spirit} Ulani has."

New Seifer Cards
    Kobold Tactics
    1 cost
    Common
    If this kills an enemy. attack the leading enemy for {dynamic_number|power|8}."

Red Curtain
    1 cost
    Rare
    "Gain {block|16}.
    Seifer loses 4 life."

Call to Arms
    2 cost
    All <b>Allies</b> gain 2 spirit.

New Aurora Cards

Empower
    1 cost
    Rare
    Choose an enemy, your other hero attacks them for {dynamic_number|otherHeroPower|12} and gains 2 {power} for the rest of the turn.

Reallocate
    1 cost
    Common
    "{combo}
    Until the end of turn, reduce an enemy's {power} by 2 and your other hero gains 2 {power}."

Fist of the tortoise
    2 cost
    Rare
    Gain {protection}.
    {exhaust}"

New Treasures

War Banner
    Rare
    Whenever you end a turn with 8 or less {blocknumberless}, the leading hero gains 1 {courage}.

Didjeridoo
    Epic
    Draw one extra card at the start of your turn.

Oradrim Censer
    Common
    Whenever you {exhaust} a card, gain {block|1}.

Magda's Tiara
    Rare
    Radiant Hearts heal 5 more life.

New Gems

Ruby of Valor
    Rare
    This card's attacks deal bonus damage equal to your {courage} + 3.

Sapphire of Valor
    Rare
    Gain 1 courage.

We have also added a new achievement for completing a gem mine.

Quality Of Life
    Certain animations have been sped up to increase game pace. This is an area we plan on focusing more on in the future.
    Hovering an ally or hero with activated ability now shows combat predictions.
    It’s now possible to skip the animation at the start of a run by pressing any key (after your first run)
    You can now click on cards in the shop to enlarge them before buying
    Rune of Sights now prioritize finding more valuable events, and avoids smaller gold piles and Vaults.
    The “end of run” sequence is now more polished.
    Eye for an Eye and Burst Powder now stack with themselves.
    A lot of text has been reworked to be more clear.

BALANCING
    The game has been changed to try and make it harder at high epilogues but more ‘fair’ at all levels. Final bosses have been tweaked so they don’t hard counter certain strategies as much. On the other hand the scaling from epilogues has been increased. In conjunction with this various cards/gems/talents/treasures have been changed to make it harder for the heroes to get completely out of control. Most notably, many gems that give energy to the heroes have been toned down or reworked so that the game does not have to be balanced around 8 energy per turn.

On the other hand, despite the game being a little easier than we would like at higher epilogues, Sharra needs help as she has been consistently underperforming compared to the other heroes. This patch she gained small damage buffs to 15 cards in her kit to help her in her identity as the hero with the highest up front damage in the game.

Final Boss Changes

Mist no longer automatically destroys the player’s deck every few turns.

Instead, he will dissolve cards from the player’s discard when he takes damage. In this way, players always get a chance to play any card before it is dissolved (Unless they fail to block)

He will still dissolve cards when he lands an attack. However, he dissolves less per hit while attacking multiple times at lower damage values. This lets you get 'partial success' where you block half an attack and only have half as many cards destroyed.

All the cards in deck now cost +1 permanently, but cards created afterwards will not be increased. (For example, adding Daggers to your hand will cost 0)

Epilogue Changes
    Epilogue difficulty scaling has been generally increased: Enemies at higher epilogues do more damage and have more life.
    Enemy statuses now scale with Epilogues where appropriate.
    Stealth has been replaced with: Guardian Spirits: At the start of each battle, give all enemies protection.
    Rising Fervor now gives enemies +1 power each turn in all battles, instead of only normal.
    Greed is Good damage increased from 2 -> 3. Gld auto pickup is now disabled during this epilogue. Damage no longer triggers when picking gold from loot bags.
    Compulsive: Shop/Alchemist cost increased from 20% -> 40%.
    Lantern Faeries: Reworked so that they are easier to kill initially, but scale in HP over a chapter. You now reveal spaces based on how much damage you deal, rather than if you killed them or not.

Battle Changes
    XP for killing the first boss has been increased.
    Enemies can now apply Aura of weakness on random positions instead of always at the front.
    Rainbow Yak’s base stats have been toned down a bit
    Apex Predator has received a significant buff. It is harder to stagger, has more life, and does more damage.
    The Berserker and Rapala Elite battles in chapter 2 have been made a bit easier.
    Legendary tiki palanquin has been tweaked. On the third turn he now attacks and gains power instead of attacking and giving weak

Events, stories
    Adjust what chapters some narratives can appear in to make them less high rolly early game and better on average late game

Card, Gems, and Treasures
    Buff 15 Sharra cards so she is more bursty :)
    Move spinning blade to rare from common
    Rework Recall: Now common, changed from “return all daggers from your dissolve pile to your hand” to 2e “combo, add 3 daggers to your hand. If this is discarded or exhausted, add a dagger to your hand.
    Buff mania, decrease cost from 1 to 0. Decrease set rage from 6 to 5.
    Dissolve cards can no longer be copied in combat
    Primal skull changed from "+4 cost, gain 8 energy." to "gain 15 block. This costs 1 energy more."
    "shield of the chosen" now increases your block to 20 even if you had some block already. Previously only worked if you had 0 block.
    Increase the damage taken per card with Eye of Insanity from 3 to 4.
    Nerf Kappa study. Now draw 2 cards instead of 3

Talent Changes
    (PARTY) Quick Thinking: changed from “When you have no cards in hand, draw a card.” to “The first time each turn you have no cards in hand, draw a card.”
    (PARTY) Rending Blow: now bleeds for 1/3 the damage instead of half.
    (PARTY) Stoicism: now blocks for 4 each turn, down from 6.
    (SOROCCO) Guardian: has been removed.(Whenever the heroes play a Defend, draw a card.) It has been replaced with Ogre Tempo: Every 3 times the heroes swap, add a Headbang to your hand.
    (SEIFER) Adamant Blood: (Receive no wounds when Seifer dies) now also gives Seifer +10 max HP.
    (SHARRA) Hidden Blades: now gives 3 Daggers, down from 4.
    (AURORA)Cold Blood now draws a card at the start of the turn if Aurora has 7 life or less, down from 5 or less.
    Shadowed Gem, Snipestone and Heroic Emerald have been reworked.
    Shadowed Gem: is now Charged Ruby:: Rare. Charge. Hero attacks from this card deal +4 damage when played from the back.
    Snipestone reworked to: Legendary. Each time the hero hits with this card, inflict a critical hit.
    Heroic Emerald is now Warden’s Diamond: Common. Retain. At the end of your turn, if this is in your hand gain 1 Block.
    [/list]

BUG FIXES
    The cloud save on mac has been fixed
    Sorocco’s Insatiable talent has been fixed.
    Hammer Time’s text has been adjusted to clarify how it works with discounts and cost increases. “This always costs all your energy. “
    Aurora’s Teapot achievement now works.
    Several bugs involving deck reshuffling have been fixed.
    The settings panel should no longer be ironically too big on large screens.
    Fixed some crashes involving using a brush while a golden faerie is alive.
    Majinata’s Blessing now blesses properly.
    Tiki Palanquin will no longer incorrectly use his “Legendary Boss” moveset in all Epilogues. Whoops.
    Volley’s dynamic number has been fixed.
    You can now see the gems on Seifer's reference card when he is enraged.
    Adamant Blood’s reference card now properly appears. (Wound)
    Devil Cry now has the ability to socket damage modifier gems.
    Enraged versions of cards in the shop now display gems sockets correctly.
    Corrected some Narratives where the card highlight was missing on drafts.
    Trance and Aurora's dream now draw the expected amount of cards, even if you have stackables in your hand
    Take Cover no longer triggers when Sharra takes 0 damage
    Defender of the Homeland has been fixed. He was blocking and gaining power more often than intended.
    The Deck and Party buttons now properly translate when changing language
    Garudan's Talon no longer fires infinitely after being triggered once, in some instances.
    Fixed a bug with the “Complete With All Hero Pairs” achievement that prevented it from advancing when it thought heroes were not in the correct order.
    Shaman behaviour has been further tweaked.
    "On fire" now goes down to 0 stacks and disappears instead of staying at 2
    Fix a crash when continuing a run with the magic carpet
    Fix gate scene and shop scene for the resolution 21:9
    Promote had different play behaviour on rage mode, now you play it by dragging it onto an ally
    fix an issue with auras that could be on the wrong character
    Ban Fugoro's hat from the shop to fix a bug where it would not reveal the map

Seriously, these are just depressing on the formatting front.

Dunno if i'm going to dig into this, honestly, but figured it was sharing in case anyone was still playing.