As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

games that should have sucked but turned out being pretty sweet

124»

• GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Samphis wrote: »
    Just Cause. It is one of my favorite Sandbox games. It got relatively decent reviews, and didn't sell that well.

The Just Cause demo got a fair amount of attention, and so did the graphics on the 360 version. But yeah, the gameplay is better than many people give it credit for. I have the PS2 version, so no flashy next-gen effects, but I still loved it.

I found it more linear than GTA, but with better pacing, and I liked the liberation side missions. Although the game can be beaten without doing all those, it still felt like driving Mendoza's thugs out of one more village was hastening El Presidente's downfall. In contrast, many side missions in sandbox games feel like irrelevant busy-work.

It wasn't a terribly difficult game, but gave me a lot of close calls and a few retries. I felt challenged, but rarely frustrated. To me, that indicates good design and clear instructions.

Some games in this genre just force you to retry a mission so many times that you attain godlike advance knowledge of what to expect, and go through all the motions mechanically like Ben Affleck in that shitty movie he did. No, the other one. No, not that one. The other, other one. Ah, forget it.

whenever i see this game on shelves i call it "just cuz" and i imagine it being a game where you do things just cuz you wanna do them.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    24game.jpg

I feel so horrible for loving it. The critics lambasted it (well, called it mediocre a lot), but dammit, it's a fun, mindless 3rd-person shooter and the story is awesome and totally fits with the show's tone.

Plus it makes me really giggly to yell "CTU! DROP YOUR WEAPONS!" from behind cover as Jack Bauer. Even more when one of the guy actually does it and puts his hands up.

It IS true that the driving missions suck balls, though. I made the mistake of playing one right after playing GTA at one point... these cars handle like cows and move about as fast. :/

Oh, and one game which is just as awful as you think it is but which I still played all the way through because I loved the show: Alias. Stay away. The story's not even interesting.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, out of curiosity, does the 24 game last about 24 hours?

Darlan on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Darlan wrote: »

No, not even close if I remember correctly.

Slagmire on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Five pages, and nobody's mentioned the 360 Burger King games? Jumping out of a garbage can and shoving a Whopper in some chick's face is way more fun than it has any right to be.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone mentioned Second Sight yet? On paper it looks a lot like Psi-Ops, and I think a lot of people skipped it because of that. That being said, I'm a big Free Radical fan and I think it might be my favorite game by them. The love-child between Metal Gear Solid and Psi-Ops with Timesplitters-style graphics and one of the best stories in any game? I have no idea how it didn't explode in popularity.

Trevor on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yo-noid_00.png

One of my favorite NES games ever. So much fun.

And like someone already mentioned the Burger King games were not half bad either.

powersurge on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did someone say Rogue Trooper yet? Because I was absolutely gobsmacked by how good that game turned out to be. Spectacular pacing, brilliant power-ups mechanic (Bagman manufactures gear from the wreckage on the battlefield), and a fantastic cover system months before GoW (though we all know kill.switch did it first). The graphics were pretty excellent on the PC version too, If I recall. Not too spectacular, but nice and clean, and they capture the art style of the comic perfectly.

Plus, using your holo-decoy to distract snipers was just unbelievably cool.

It was even more of a shock considering how mediocre Dredd vs. Death was. Way to squander a license, Rebellion.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Darlan wrote: »

Nah. I suppose it's paced so it should, but the amount of time it takes is hugely variable. The cut-scenes are real-time, but during gameplay, you just reach checkpoints where the clock shows up like in the show and it's like "Okay, let's say it took you 11 minutes to get to here", even though you could have run in circles for half an hour prior to that point and the clock would still show 11 minutes. I guess it was either that or having a permanent, arbitrary time limit that's only there to keep it real-time. Which would have sucked.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    Psi-Ops. A friend sent me a pile of games that he didn't want anymore, and I got around to playing this last out of all of them. The story blew, but I never had so much fun lighting dudes on fire, then tossing them at other dudes. With my mind. Plus mind control never got old, especially once you figured out the L3/R3 trick.

Elaborate, sir.

PsiOps is awesome. You have telekinesis, pyrokenisis, telepathy/mind control, and some other cool shit. Plus, guns.

The physics in the game are excellent, and there's no end to the amount of fun you can have by hoisting up enemies into the air with telekenesis and sending them to their death. You can grab them, bash them around the walls to kill them, then throw their corpses at other enemies or off ledges. Or you can hoist them kicking and screaming into the air, pump them full of led, and then hurl them into an oncoming group of enemies, knocking them aside. Or, hell, grab an explosive barrel and hurl that at them for good measure.

And that's just using telekenisis. Add the ability to set shit on fire with your mind to that mix.

There's also the Mind Control ability, which allows you to literally take control of enemies within range. See a sniper shooting at you? Take over a close enemy, climb up to the sniper, and shoot him in the back of the head. And then jump off the building, only to switch out of mind control and allow your enemy to realize what happened all too late, as he plummets to his death.

These are only a few of the kickass things you can do in Psi Ops. It's awesome.

and setting them on fire. on fire and then throwing them into people, who are then set on fire.

OMG> great game for sure.

Oh, and just in case: holding L3 and R3 at the same time when you're mind-controlling a guy makes him blow his brains out. Not very willingly, either. Kind of cruel, but eh.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I loved Minority Report because when you threw guys over the ledge they would always shout "I'm FALLING!"

That's bizarre. I'd expect a terrified scream, or a resigned, "Oh, no. Not again."
    Mitsuhide wrote: »
    Drakengard. (Drag-On Dragoon in Japan)

I rented it expecting to suck, but it's actually like a medieval Dynasty Warriors...........

with dragons.

:shock:

Bought

Tiemler on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Puzzle Quest. I mean seriously, WHY DOES IT WORK SO WELL?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png