Options

[CYOA] Ardor & Obligation (Epilogue.)

• Options
    TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    B - 2 - lens, Hilda needs a bigger bow. Clearly.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A. The more people we warn the better. Helmuth may be used to random adventurers babbling about world ending calamity, but at least we'll have tried to spread the word.
    4. While I'm tempted to go for the Bow, Stafford would seem to be our weakest link at the moment, never a good place for the Healer.

So, our credits are no good here...
    Can we trade some of our PostTokens directly for the bow? Or would we need to trade the PT in for something and then trade that?
    I'm not sure exactly how PT work. Can we even trade in our PT here, or is that something only larger settlements would have available?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    PostTokens can be traded in for items in the Shop on the status screen, at any time. Purchasing an item adds one of whatever you bought to your inventory.

The trading post here is unrelated to that - this is just a chance to level someone up in exchange for an inventory item you don't think you need.

"Credit" just means the money you banked. That's not a game resource so much as a plot point.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    So, we could trade in one or more PostTokens for an inventory good, then trade that to the trader to (maybe) get one equipment.
    Or maybe trade a lens for the equipment, then replace the lens with PT (if we decided we needed a lens).
    Or we could trade in 2PT for a Mastery Scroll for a level.

Also, we should eat that bear jerky for some more max HP.

Edit: Could we trade all four PT in for loyalty gifts (1PT each), then exchange those gifts for four equipment upgrades?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Yes, you can trade PostTokens for inventory goods if there's nothing you have currently that you want to give up. The trading post only has one of the items listed, you're voting on which option it is - you can't get multiple items. However, you could trade an item you have currently for what the trading post offers, and then buy 2 mastery scrolls to level up two other characters. Or get three levels for a single character! The math works out the same unless you start swapping out which characters are active.

Edit: Or, y'know. If somebody dies.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Don't leave me hangin, guys! Have I gone too into the weeds with the "gameplay" stuff?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    A. The more people we warn the better. Helmuth may be used to random adventurers babbling about world ending calamity, but at least we'll have tried to spread the word.
    4. While I'm tempted to go for the Bow, Stafford would seem to be our weakest link at the moment, never a good place for the Healer.
    And I'll offer up the Lens for trade.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    A 2

Trade the unskilled, bare-chested labour of Alexei.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Alright, I can work with that! The story continues! Err... after I run some errands.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0Ph2Opdbg
    Helmuth squinted at Alexei as he explained the threat of coming war. He set down his utensils.

HELMUTH: Look, lad. I like ye well enough, but yer on a fool's errand. People aren't gonna leave their homes on your word that war's coming.

Alexei frowned.

ALEXEI: Why not?
    HELMUTH: You know who lives in border towns? People born in border towns. People who pay when the tax man comes around, and don't care which road he departs on.
    ALEXEI: Are you saying they won't care if Valta invades?
    HELMUTH: Listen, boy. I'm saying that thirty, forty years ago, some of these people were Valtan. No matter what your map says, if you keep heading south there ain't a dotted line through the valley.

Alexei stared down at his empty plate.

HELMUTH: I'm sorry, I don't mean to discourage you. I'm not saying ye can't help these people, but you hafta look at things from their perspective.
    ALEXEI: How would you help them if you were me?
    HELMUTH: You mean if I was young with a sturdy sword arm and trusted friends...
    ALEXEI: Yeah.
    HELMUTH: Well, I dunno. Everybody's got their own troubles, every town's got their own issues.

Alexei chewed on a piece of bear meat, thinking.

HELMUTH: How would you help me? If you were gonna be here for a few more days.
    ALEXEI: I don't know. What do you need help with?

Helmuth pointed at him with his fork.

HELMUTH: Exactly. How can ye help me if you don't know my troubles? Now, as it turns out, there is a monster of a beast what's been causin' all kinds of ruckus around here. Snatching game out of our snares, trashing our traps, and the chasing the young lads from hell to breakfast.
    ALEXEI: What is it?
    HELMUTH: It's a taure. Eight feet tall, chest like a wine cask, pissy demeanor. Oh, and the horns, of course.
    ALEXEI: Do you want me and the others to try to take it down?

Helmuth reclined in his chair, pushing it back on two legs.

HELMUTH: I got no ground to ask a thing like that of you. We're just two people conversing. You want to be this village's hero? That's how you do it. But you got your own problems, too, I reckon. Maybe you want to keep on your journey while there's still time to make a difference.

He smiled.

HELMUTH: H'ain't no right or wrong answer, Whisper. No one's asking you to stick your neck out for a place you ain't even spent a night in yet.

The Taure's Lair added to Quests. This quest has limited availability.
    ATMA: Hello... Stafford!

He had been in the middle of mashing a salve together with his mortar and pestle when she poked her head around the partition that Helmuth had put up to separate the men and women's sleeping areas. Stafford looked up, started.

STAFFORD: Hi, Atma. Do you need something?
    ATMA: No, only say hello! Will you walk?
    STAFFORD: Will I walk? Do you mean you want to go on a walk?
    ATMA: Yes. I...

Something caught her eye in Stafford's open satchel.

ATMA: Hollos?

She pointed at the figure sticking out of a pocket.

STAFFORD: Oh, that. I bought it from a woman a few towns back. Seems like a long time ago already. Do you know Hollos?
    ATMA: Everyone... Bleda... know Hollos. I pray, but...

She closed her eyes, reaching for words she knew she didn't know.

ATMA: Obela... messats...
    STAFFORD: What do you mean "everyone Bleda know Hollos"?
    ATMA: Bleda hundred hundred big moons back. Home!

Stafford's mind reeled.

ATMA: Obela... bird.

Atma spread her arms wide and flapped them up and down, then held her index fingers to the sides of her head.

STAFFORD: I thought so, but... what is "messats"?

Atma shrugged helplessly.

STAFFORD: Do you know "winter"?

She nodded.

STAFFORD: I've seen 20 winters. How many winters have you seen?

Atma bit her lip and contemplated the question.

ATMA: Two... two hundred?

She wobbled her hand, a gesture that seemed to transcend language and indicate a rough guess. Stafford's eyes went wide.

The party traded a Lens of Truth for a Hunter's Bow. Hilda's level increased from 6 to 7!

The party ate the Bear Jerky. HP increased by D25+10!
    - Alexei HP +26
    - Tia HP +29
    - Hilda HP +20
    - Stafford HP +34
    - Atma HP +34

What happens next?
    A. Leave the village to hunt the taure.
    B. Continue south into the mountains.
    C. Remain in the village and discuss the revelation of Atma's age.

Free Actions
    +Y. Use item (specify)
    +Z. Side quest (specify)

Status
    Party | Inventory | Allies | Key Items | Quests (2) | Shop

Delzhand on
  • Options
    A. Sidequests are the secret to success. And it's entirely possible the Taure is good to eat. It shouldn't take too long if the beast and the lair are local.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    A

We're going on a Taure hunt. What a beautiful day. We're not afraid.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    A.

• Options
    I just want to highlight real quick what staggeringly good rolls came out of that bear meat. Stafford and Atma both got near perfect rolls. The healer is now the tankiest party member. Maybe he'll pick up a shield for the Paladin subjob???

• Options
    7jfr1xx51vtl.jpeg

• Options
    edited July 2021
    A consensus has empowered the party! All HP has been restored and Party HP increased by 1 for the next battle!
    The party picked up the hunting trail just outside of the village and headed into the forst. It was full of tall conifers, widely spaced but massiveley tall, and too large by far to wrap one's arms around. Ample sunlight reached the forest floor, and it made the trail easy to follow. The best traps were an hour's walk from the town, which was easily within the taure's domain. It would be easy to spot the tell-tale signs of destruction once they arrived. Tia and Alexei walked ahead while Stafford and Hilda brought up the rear, with Atma some distance in the middle.

STAFFORD: Does she know the difference between "ten" and "hundred"?
    HILDA: I think so, why?
    STAFFORD: I asked how old she was, and she said "two hundred" winters.
    HILDA: Huh. You're right, that seems unlikely.
    STAFFORD: She also said something about everyone in Bleda knowing Hollos.
    HILDA: Oh, right, that weird Ardor statue you bought. So there were a bunch of people in Hollos. I wonder if they were Hypurr worshippers.
    STAFFORD: Do they really perform human sacrifice?
    HILDA: I wouldn't put it past them. Anything they think will appease the leviathan.

Ahead of them, Atma sniffed the air, wrinkling her nose.

ATMA: Fala.

Alexei gave a shout and the rest of the party made their way to him. He was crouched by a wrecked rattan cage. Intact it probably would have been knee high, about the size for catching large rodents, but its supports had been bent at opposite angles.

ALEXEI: Arms ready, eyes open. I think we're in the taure's territory.
    HILDA: Terri-taure-ey.
    ALEXEI: Hilarious. Let me know if you see anything. Spread out but stay within shouting distance.
    TIA: Actually... I don't think that'll be necessary...

Alexei and the others followed her gaze. In the distance, a huge creature stalked between the trees. The taure was a rare beast, several heads taller than a man and twice as wide, covered in shaggy hair with bull-like horns. It caught sight of the party and considered them briefly, then turned its attention towards another rodent trap.

ALEXEI: Is it... ignoring us?
    TIA: It might not think we're a threat.
    ALEXEI: I thought it would be more territorial.
    ATMA: Fala!

The taure looked around suddenly as if startled, but not by her. It dropped the trap and moved further away into the woods, out of sight.

HILDA: Fala? Isn't fala wind?

Atma shook her head, panicked.

A moment later, the world exploded in a blinding flash of light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQDhvm38S8
    ???: Alexei and Tia Margrave! Throw down your weapons!

As Alexei's eyes recovered from the sudden brightness, he saw the outline of an armor clad man.

ALEXEI: Ugh... not you again.
    ???: Fala is the ancient Bledan word for storm. Curious that one so young should know it.

Quest objective updated. Survive.

Combat orders?

Status
    Party | Inventory | Allies | Key Items | Quests (1) | Shop

Delzhand on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Attack
    Move
    Tech

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Attack
    Defend
    Tech

• Options
    Defend
    Move
    Tech

• Options
    Not feeling well tonight. Combat will ensue on the morrow.

• Options
    Tech
    Move
    Defend

I’d like to vote to add Flirt and Taunt to the options.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Move
    Tech
    Attack

• Options
    edited August 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x433P94kGE
    ALEXEI: (How did things go so wrong? I thought...)

His head throbbed as he was roughly hauled to his feet. Someone seized him by his hair and kneed him in the stomach. He gasped and fell to the ground.

ALEXEI: Tia...?

He tried to roll over. The battle had turned so quickly...

He'd slain the cloaked man with ease, landing a driving slash across his chest.

A gauntleted fist smashed into his face, and he tasted blood.

Atma had pinned down the red-haired woman, forcing her to the ground with a twisting cyclone.

He was hauled to his feet again, then felt something hard and unyielding crunch into his leg.

Then he'd caught sight of the blindfolded mage pulling together astra for a spell, and sliced deep into his arm, interrupting it. What... what happened after that?

Oh, right...

Adjin. And that legendary temper of his when he was pushed too far.

ADJIN: Look at me, you dog!

Adjin kicked him in the ribs.

Adjin had flown into action, smashing Hilda aside and cracking her bow in half with his mace. And then... then he'd... shrugged off Tia's cascade of flame and tackled her to the ground, bringing his weapon down on her arm.

ALEXEI: T... Tia...?

Another boot to his middle. He reached for his sword, laying on the ground nearby. Someone picked it up.

Stafford tried to swing his sword at the mage, who had simply lanced an arc of lightning through his body. He'd crumpled to a heap, unable to move. And... and then...

TYREE: Adjin! Control yourself! Aldove wants him alive!

The red-headed woman had escaped Atma's cyclone and closed the gap, driving a knife into her belly.

Alexei looked up, his one good eye nearly swollen shut. Adjin was holding his own sword overhead.

TYREE: You'll thank me for this later.

Adjin's body jerked as he fell sideways, dropping Alexei's sword, purple electricity forking across the surface of his armor.

ALEXEI: T...

He passed out.

Okay, that was pretty grim. You technically had a slight advantage, and for most of the battle you had them on the ropes. I guess when @see317 provided the character flaw "Slow to anger, but overtaken by an unnatural and nigh uncontrollable blood lust once in a fight" back on page 1, well, that was extremely prescient.

Furthermore, I started using a seeded RNG for the combat engine where the seed is the combat orders you provide, so even though the battle is randomized, even if I re-ran it, it would play out the same way every time. I'm posting the combat log inline so you can see what an incredible fight this turned out to be.

bog5mc5f8vhi.png

So... that said...

Alexei has been captured by Aldove's men.

Dover is dead.

All remaining party members have been severely injured.

Someone has been left in critical condition and is leaving the party.
    A. Tia
    B. Hilda
    C. Stafford
    D. Atma

Delzhand on
  • Options
    C. Stafford is chafford.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    In my defense, I have nothing to say in my defense.
    It was a terrible idea back on page 1. Who could have thought it would come back to haunt us?

C. Sorry Stafford. Hopefully "Leave the party" isn't a euphemism for "bleed out in the dirt while the rest of us watch and continue hoarding our healing items".

see317 on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    C: why was our healer attacking in the first place

• Options
    I’d like to vote to add Flirt and Taunt to the options.

As much as I enjoy indulging this type of request, I'm not sure the combat engine can readily handle something like this. It's an adaptation of Burning Wheel, in which "Maneuver" is any attempt to gain an advantage over your opponent, which for JRPG flavor I simply renamed to "Move". So actions like Flirt and Taunt sort of fall under that umbrella.

However, I could attempt to incorporate character-specific interactions for maneuvering instead. So if Hilda is up to bat when the Move action is played, I can write it as a flirtation attempt given an appropriate target.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    A consensus has... modified... the result.
    Stafford tried to lift his fingers, but found that he could not. His muscles lay flat in defiance of his mind. He was unable to turn his head, nor could he scream when Atma crumpled in a heap at the edge of his vision, bleeding from the stomach.

His ears buzzed and he felt the thrum of his own blood.

STAFFORD: (She didn't choose this. We did, but she didn't.)

It was the worst fate he could imagine. To be close enough to save a life and unable to do so.

STAFFORD: (Come on! Shake it off!)

But his body would simply not respond.

STAFFORD: (Ardors be merciful, is this how it ends?)

His vision faded to black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQuoXqvHBS8
    He drifted in the dark, weightless, for hours... or aeons... or seconds. The murk and fog shifted in thickness and hue, and sometimes wan lights seemed to pass by at a great distance. But there was nothing to illuminate.

That wasn't true. A white pillar, the size of his thumb, or perhaps as large as a mountain was in front of him. It floated, or sat upon the ground, in front of him.

It was smooth, or carved, or neither.

???: Y̸̥̽̆o̸͕̊̒ų̷͕̍̍r̵̝̾̏ ̸̺̠̎̈́j̷̢̧͠ų̶̓͛d̷̤͍̓̃g̷͇̮̋ṃ̷̂è̵̱̞n̸͎̍ͅt̴̼̆͜ ̵͍̥̃̏i̷̜͂̚s̶͚̞̀ ̸͙́̅a̴̭͘t̶̤͖͗ ̷͍̃͛ͅh̵̝̅͒a̴̹͔̔n̷̖͐̂d̷̩̏
    STAFFORD: I... don't understand...
    ???: dnah ta si tnemgduj ruoy
    STAFFORD: ...
    ???: Your judgment is at hand.
    STAFFORD: My... judgment...
    ???: It has been ages since I spoke with men. Forgive me.
    STAFFORD: Am I dead?
    ???: You were meant to die, but that is not just. I have given you another chance.
    STAFFORD: Hollos...?
    HOLLOS: Yes.
    STAFFORD: What about the others? What about Atma?
    HOLLOS: The girl.
    STAFFORD: If my death isn't just, surely hers cannot be either? She said she prayed to you!
    HOLLOS: A long confinement has diminished me. I can spare no one else.
    STAFFORD: Then I wish you have saved your power for her.
    HOLLOS: Truly? Though you know it to be your own end?

Stafford nodded.

HOLLOS: What you have given freely, I now take. What I have done, I will undo. Yet the spark of life remains in the girl. It is her tenacity that now keeps you from oblivion.
    STAFFORD: I... I don't understand. You said you couldn't spare us both!
    HOLLOS: I said I could spare no one else. I have given much of myself to restore you from the brink of death. She is yet closer to life, though I cannot say she will remain so without help. I may strengthen her hold on life, but in exchange you will be left near unto death.
    STAFFORD: If that is within your power... do it.

---
    Tia had supported a limping Atma on her right side, and tried to avoid using her left hand. Hilda dragged Stafford behind her on a makeshift stretcher. They arrived back in Yaldroth Camp after sunset. Helmuth at first had assumed the Taure was responsible, but Tia explained the truth of the matter. The camp chief sent a messenger to Dooreyt to request the services of a healer. Tia and Hilda would recover quickly, and even Atma's wound seemed less severe than expected. But although Stafford still drew breath, he would not awaken from his torpor.

Tia begged his forgiveness, even though she knew he likely couldn't hear her. She promised to return if she survived what was to come.

For now, though, she had to rescue her brother. And she'd burn herself all the way to her heart, if that's what it took.

The trail leads back to Dooreyt. Outgoing mail is... 7.

Tia will need another ally.
    A. Try to promote an existing ally to party member. They might say no, but it's worth a try to have someone we trust.
    B. Hire a skilled mercenary in Dooreyt. It will take a lot of our coin, but we need someone strong.
    C. No she won't. We can't involve anyone else in our troubles. We'll fight with what strength we have.

Free Actions
    +Y. Use item (specify)
    +Z. Side quest (specify)

Status
    Party | Inventory | Allies | Key Items | Quests (2) | Shop

Delzhand on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    C: why was our healer attacking in the first place

I've been thinking about this. I built the combat engine at speed because I had to for what I wanted, and it was randomized for simplicity. But I think it's time to give you all more control over your side of things.

So it's time for another rule change! Now when providing combat orders, you can specify which character performs which action in your round. Characters will gain XP as they take actions, and when XP reaches certain thresholds, they'll level up, increasing one of their stats according to a class-based formula. Level will now be the sum of a character's stats. Weapons will provide a bonus to Attack.

Tia (Lv 17)
    Attack: 3 +1
    Tech: 7
    Move: 4
    Defend: 3

Hilda (Lv 19)
    Attack: 5 +0
    Tech: 3
    Move: 7
    Defend: 3

Atma (Lv 16)
    Attack: 2 +1
    Tech: 6
    Move: 4
    Defend: 4

Example Combat Orders
    Tia: Tech
    Hilda: Move
    Atma: Defend

• Options
    A - We don't want to drop all our money on someone we can only trust as far as we can pay, but I'd rather not go out shorthanded if we can avoid it.
    I'm thinking Dhara. She's not the most loyal, but blacksmith skills at hammering hot steel all day should pretty handily transfer into hammering monsters into the ground. Plus she might be able to tell us what are the useful bits to loot for improving our armor and weapons.

I'm also suspicious about Helmuth. We just happened to get ambushed while hunting the "dangerous monster" he sent us after. A dangerous monster that was far more interested in rodent traps than the band of armed adventurers come to attack it.
    Just seems awfully convenient.

Level wise, we're a bit light to go after the Taure again immediately, certainly too injured at the moment.

• Options
    Loyalty was originally imagined as a -10 to 10 scale, with 0 as a stranger, -10 as a "you killed my father" nemesis, and 10 as a "I would die for you if you asked me" fanatic.

I might update the ally loyalty numbers. Dhara is "a good friend you don't see often". Helmuth is "a stranger who showed us notable kindness".

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    B.- There's precedent for finding good help in these games, especially if we can play on their loyalties
    8s2r7fgy58gk.png

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    B.- There's precedent for finding good help in these games, especially if we can play on their loyalties
    8s2r7fgy58gk.png

That absolute dick abandoned me after no more than 3 battles every time (except for when he didn't).
    He died on the island.

He's also wearing in insufficient quantity of belts. Completely untrustworthy.

• Options
    B money solves all problems

• Options
    Not according to Notorious B.I.G., in fact, I believe he claimed the opposite

• Options
    The problem with buying loyalty is that it only lasts so long as the money does.
    If we run into a dry spell, I'd rather not have mercs looking for a payday in the camp.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Not according to Notorious B.I.G., in fact, I believe he claimed the opposite

This is an excellent point

• Options
    B. Consider the mercenary. Gruff, battle hardened, only working for us for head pats and food. Yes, that’s right, let’s buy a dog.

• Options
    I wish I'd come up with that idea, but if I include "get a dog" as an option I might as well not even have a vote

• Options
    edited August 2021
    If it wins you could set up a vote from a randomly made list of mercenaries that has a chance to include stuff like a dog etc.

Endless_Serpents on