As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] - Harry Kane - Goals: 267, Trophies: 0

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    Predictions for the quarter finals? I think it'll be Belgium vs Spain and England vs Denmark in the semis.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    No
    I'm constitutionally required to support Ukraine for the duration. No hard feelings, nothing personal.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Nein
    Belgium is probably my favourite team left in the tournament in terms of potential, but they have the most difficult path to the final.

Euros are good fun for unlikely results like Denmark, Portugal or fucking Greece winning the whole damn thing, though, and honestly that's part of the charm and appeal.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Nein
    Italy vs Switzerland
    England vs Denmark

Belgium are going to be missing KDB and Eden Hazard so I can't see them making it past Italy. Switzerland have impressed me more than Spain even if they're without Xhaka. England should be able to get past Ukraine but it'll be scrappy. I'd like the Czech Republic to win since I have them in the office pool but Denmark are a better team overall and have more quality coming off the bench, which is important now that we're getting into the business end of things.

• Options
    Yes, if “it” is absurd pre-tournament over-hyping of a team followed by under achievement
    Portugal winning wasn't that unlikely. They were one of the top ranked teams, although I think they had a mare in the group stage and a favourable knockout draw.

• Options
    Nein
    people are unfair to that Portuguese team because a meme player scored the winner while Ronaldo cried

on paper they were much better than the French team whose back 4 consisted of a 36 year old Patrice Evra, an injury ridden Samuel Umtiti, Arsenal's Laurent Koscielny and Bacary Sagna who was always a bit shit and barely played the second half of that season

• Options
    I forgot KDB was injured. Yeah, Belgium are going to struggle.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I've also enjoyed watching a few of these. FIFA's "official" films of each world cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDZV-p9DiI

Something for everyone in that one. Lineker scoring a hatful, Socrates, Michael Caine doing the narration, six foot Shilts failing to outjump a five foot nothing Maradonna.

EDIT: oh hey Rick Wakeman did the score as well. Nice.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No again, but secretly you think yes but don’t want to jinx it
    Switzerland absolutely have it in them to beat Spain but no Xhaka is an issue for them. I'd love it if they did though. And I'd love them to beat Italy too.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    On one had, I lived in switzerland for a bit, so I should be all "Hopp Schwiiz!"
    On the other hand, their neutrality. With enemies you know where they stand but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like Xhaka loads tbh, that's a big reasons for me to support the Swiss

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I've loved Xhaka since his Gladbach days, so I really hope he can play and Switzerland does well.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Also:

Rafa is the new Everton manager... weird.

• Options
    I'm sure Liverpool fans will take it in good heart and not call for his death or anythi
    Police are investigating reports that a threatening banner was left near the home of former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez, who is set to join Everton.

A picture of the banner, which was posted online, said: "We know where you live. Don't sign."

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I think you mean Everton fans.

• Options
    Also Viera at Palace!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I think you mean Everton fans.

I guess it could be them as well!

Bogart on
  • Options
    Nein
    Rafa is a genuinely great signing, arguably the best manager they could have gotten.

I hope he does well, he's always seemed like a real gent.

• Options

• Options
    Nein
    having given it some thought, i'm going to take the word arguably out of my last post

rafa is absolutely the best best manager they could have gotten and Levy should be given shit for not getting him into Spurs

i don't know who spurs will get but i'm sure i'll feel some second hand embarrassment at it

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I’ll dip into the famously reasonable NUFC sub-reddit to see how they’re taking the news

Not well

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    The song is equally about football being hosted in England again in 1996 so it technically already did come home in a very real sense
    Tav wrote: »
    having given it some thought, i'm going to take the word arguably out of my last post

rafa is absolutely the best best manager they could have gotten and Levy should be given shit for not getting him into Spurs

i don't know who spurs will get but i'm sure i'll feel some second hand embarrassment at it

I heard an interview with an Everton fan who said "Let's be honest, managers aren't queueing up to come here." which I think is fair.

If he gets a the full 3 season, I hope he can strengthen them.

As a Liverpool fan, it would be great to have two strong sides in the city.

• Options
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Nein
    itshappening.gif

Now get a DM!

Also, for all the shit we gave Woodward and co, they got him for way cheaper than the asking price last summer.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Nein
    That’s tampering! That’s 4 hours too early!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Nuno signs for Spurs. Good luck, mate, you’ll fucking need it.

• Options
    Nein
    itshappening.gif

Now get a DM!

Also, for all the shit we gave Woodward and co, they got him for way cheaper than the asking price last summer.

Woody's not in charge of transfers anymore, this is John Murtough's work

• Options
    Nein
    i don't think nuno will do well at spurs because they're a silly, broken club

but as an irishman i'm all 👀👀👀 about nuno managing matt doherty again

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Nein
    Tav wrote: »
    itshappening.gif

Now get a DM!

Woody's not in charge of transfers anymore, this is John Murtough's work

I thought Woody was leaving at the end of the year and Murtough was still reporting to him as long as he was around. But I'm glad to credit Murtough! Bodes well for the future.

• Options
    Nein

how the writers at the sun don't simply die of shame every single day is a mystery

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Part of me thinks that much like the writers for things like NCIS with their "two people typing on the same keyboard" stuff they're intentionally trying to one up themselves in a weird little game of who can publish the most obviously stupid shit and not get called on it by their target auidence.
    A much large part of me reckons they're utterly sincere demented little goblins and the world would be better off without their work.

sig.gif
  • Options
    If they're reading the Sun they're either turning immediately to the sports pages or they're a fucking moron. I suspect most journalists at the Sun loath their readership and write as if to a child. At a book festival I heard one guy who had published a couple of things with them state that their style guide demanded everything be readable by a nine year old.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Also that front page is just fuckin weak. The one thing the Sun occasionally gets absolutely right is a banging headline with funny wordplay but that one sucks ass.

And they end the film hanging off a cliff! And it takes place in Turin, not Rome! And there aren't any Ukranians in the movie! The more I look at it the worse it gets.

Bogart on
  • Options
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's just such an incredible reach for the Caine/Kane "pun".

It makes as much sense as having it say, I'm Harry Kane and in this Battle for Britain on the Deadly Ground of the football field we'll Play Dirty: Ukraine will be Without A Clue when we hit Bullseye! and they will Surrender to our Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Shock to Their System. We won't hit the Wrong Box and will bring Victory to The Island. Prestige!

• Options
    Wait shit I just realised he's not even supposed to be Caine in the Italian Job, they've made him look vaguely like Harry Palmer, a character from a different movie entirely. Abysmal, just absolutely pathetic work, fire the lazy can't be arsed this'll do no talent lump of shit who clicked his fingers and said hey gang I've got it.

This may be the worst Sun front page since the one they did which was supposed to represent Britain and ended up looking like a Cold War Steve finger painting.

• Options
    Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    You're giving it more thought than the writers or readers ever do.

• Options
    Man, the official 2018 World Cup movie is just terrible when you compare it to the ’82 and ‘86 ones. Where those have specially composed scores, movie legends giving hushed narration and everything looks as glossy as a real movie, the 2018 one looks like a budget documentary voiced by Damien Lewis in between naps. Tedious.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

you don't need to understand swedish to understand what's going on here

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    The Swiss now without Embolo and a goal down. Hard to see them bringing it back from here.