As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The more I play Control, I kind of wish combat was in the vein of RE1. Throwing things around is fun at first, but it's getting kind of boring now. Every battle is run around grabbing stuff to throw since it's way more effective than guns. I don't think I've ever used the shield power and I've used seize just a couple times. I need 1 more part to upgrade my starter gun, but I have no desire to go back and fight folks to get it.

But the atmosphere has been really good so far. With something more like the early resident evil's or parasite eve where ammo was scarce and the Hiss were more body horror type monsters, I wonder if I'd take to it more. Add in some better puzzles as well.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Eder is the best thing to come out of both Pillar of Eternity games.

Most of the companions in POE didn't land for me (I only liked Eder and Durance) but damn was that a good one.

If Avowed isn't taking a place a million years later or something, hopefully they bring him back as a companion if it has em.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I tore through control mainly using guns, I don’t know where people get the idea that all you can do is throw boxes. The combat looks and feels fantastic just to tear up a space and see chaos and shit flying everywhere with wizard powers used in conjunction with guns, it’s pretty obvious you need to use both at the same time to be effective

Prohass on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I just use WheelHaus instead of manually putting in the names

Also Control was okay. I wanted to like it more than I did, and if I ever go back to play the DLC, I'll probably turn on all the assists that make the game more fun

Wait, WheelHaus works? Every time I try it (including just now), it just says "loading" forever and then I just give up and close the window. I figured it was abandoned.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The more I play Control, I kind of wish combat was in the vein of RE1. Throwing things around is fun at first, but it's getting kind of boring now. Every battle is run around grabbing stuff to throw since it's way more effective than guns. I don't think I've ever used the shield power and I've used seize just a couple times. I need 1 more part to upgrade my starter gun, but I have no desire to go back and fight folks to get it.

But the atmosphere has been really good so far. With something more like the early resident evil's or parasite eve where ammo was scarce and the Hiss were more body horror type monsters, I wonder if I'd take to it more. Add in some better puzzles as well.

Energy management is a thing, and ideally you want to be cycling between your gun and offensive powers. enemies strength is determined by level, so just because you can bully enemies in the early game, doesn't mean you should get used to that later on.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Energy management is a thing, and ideally you want to be cycling between your gun and offensive powers. enemies strength is determined by level, so just because you can bully enemies in the early game, doesn't mean you should get used to that later on.

My gun at max power does piddly damage compared to anything I chuck with all the throw upgrades. And because I got those upgrades very early on I was able to bully everything. Even the floating guys who dodge thrown objects have a cooldown on their auto dodge, so I'd chuck one small thing, they'd dodge, then chuck the desk at them and they'd go pop.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Madican wrote: »

My gun at max power does piddly damage compared to anything I chuck with all the throw upgrades. And because I got those upgrades very early on I was able to bully everything. Even the floating guys who dodge thrown objects have a cooldown on their auto dodge, so I'd chuck one small thing, they'd dodge, then chuck the desk at them and they'd go pop.

The shotgun at close range does ridiculous damage to the vast majority of enemies. I'm talking frequent one shots especially with a few upgrades or whatever that stupid loot crap is where you can slot in percentage increases to damage and whatnot (i hated that system). After I got the dash move I would get close deliberately to click my delete button then dash away.

Basically I would throw, and if anything got too close I would delete them, and go back to throwing. I did this the entire game and it only got stronger and did more damage. I would delete bigger and bigger enemies.

Later on in the game there's enemies with big ol shields and stuff. Dash in, shotgun once (shield down), dash out, throw, dead.

Very nice, solid, reliable, get off me weapon.

When I got the rocket launcher it was shotgun/rocket launcher. I hear the sniper rifle is pretty good but I only tried it out a couple of times. The revolver is ok for sniping very far away enemies, but otherwise I don't really care about it. The smg is basically worthless to me. I looked it up and saw people talking about upgrades that can reduce its spread dramatically and turn it into a lead firehose that melts enemies but I didn't every set that up to try it. The default smg is kinda trash.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Preface: All observations are my own, you might like or hate this game more than I do, so take into account that these are my views and nothing more, yeah?

97) Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
    Price: $4.99

So that one is done and in the books- wow, how long was it since I managed to actually beat a game and knock it off my backlog?

I... don't really know how to feel about this one. I do know that, well... I like the writing, and I like the art. But at the same time, it leans so heavy into the nihilism I'm surprised I didn't cut myself on how edgy it felt. I mean, I'm surprised there wasn't a goddamned Arby's ad at the end of it. I'm putting observations in the spoiler, in case people want to play it for themselves.

It's one of those 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' storylines- no matter what, things find a way to go to hell and there's absolutely no way you can stop it. Essentially, your decisions don't matter, they just make you feel better.

The background is pretty amazing- Winter, the MC, is on a job shadow assignment with Cyrus, her... advisor? Her teacher? Her... something? The job is, essentially, to go to different planets in different realities and try to solve problems before they get out of hand. I wish there was more to go on with this, but the scant few scraps we get are pretty good.

The characters, well... Winter- the MC- I like. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders for being fourteen, and I would have loved to see where things had gone from here with regards to the storyline.

Cyrus, her mentor, can eat all the dicks in all the dimensions, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the setup: Winter and Cyrus have poofed in to a new planet, where they're supposed to find out the problems ailing the populace and find a way to iron it out before things all go to hell and back. They end up arriving in a tiny country that essentially exists at the mercy of a much bigger one- the bigger country offloads all of its manufacturing jobs to the tiny country and finds a way to pay its workers peanuts, with most people having to take two or three jobs just in order to survive. Said tiny country shares a landmass with another, bigger country- one that is a hell of a lot more warlike- that has been eyeing the tiny country for a good long while as a potential addition, but they don't want to tangle with the other big country.

A bit after they get there, it's found out that the president of the tiny country has decided to threaten the first country with a nuclear weapon- freshly developed- to try to finagle better conditions. The job of Winter and Cyrus is to try and solve the problem without the nuke going off. Cyrus's solution? Kill the president of the tiny country and hope that stops it from happening.

Winter can either wordlessly go along with the plan, or try and talk Cyrus out of it- to find a better way- to make a statement by launching the nuclear weapon into the sea to the north of all the countries involved.

But the thing that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that- no matter what you do, rocks are still going to fall, and everyone on the planet is still goddamned going to die, no matter what.

If you go along with Cyrus, he kills the president- and then, later, a message plays on the country's television- a prerecorded statement by said president. In it, he admits he's been assassinated, but blames the first big country for it, and announces the launch is still on- in fact, it's gone off, targeted at the first country's capital. Three million are going to die, at least.

If you talk him out of it, the nuke gets launched into the nearby ocean as a show of power.

Oh, but wait- remember how I said everyone was going to die, no matter what? Yeah...

You see, Cyrus has FUBAR'd the situation by not finding out what kind of nuclear weapon it is: instead of just being a fission bomb, like what was dropped on Japan so long ago, it's a true fusion bomb- think like a star- and apparently it's one of those that can burn atmosphere for fuel- so pretty much no matter where this thing goes off, the end result is the same: rocks fall, everyone on-planet dies because the scientists fucked up the calculations and turned the world into a star, burning the atmosphere away and leaving it a lifeless rock.

Winter ends up getting at least radiation poisoning (she can also end up getting caught in the blast), and the ending goes from there- she's treated for her injuries, left with her roomie, and stuff goes on there with characters we don't end up knowing a whole lot about.

I... think she has a crush on said roomie? I'm not sure, though...

Overall, well... I'm going to say this one was okay. It's not got a lot of detail to the background or anything- but I chalk that up to it being part of a planned series and not everything getting able to be explained in one episode.

The extras menu, well... it contains the artwork library from the game, and then some "fan images" that were included from the main artist and other members of the community that were involved with the project, and some of them, well... are kind of cringy fanservice - panty shots (Winter is fourteen, by the way), and the like- and of course, some of the titles/quotes on said images... yeah... had two or three cringe moments there.

But those are in the extras and you don't have to go see them if you don't want to, I guess.

Overall, I'd say personally this one was about a seven- I liked where it was going, but it stinks they aren't making any more (but at least they aren't being dumb about it the way the guy behind another of my favorite game series,
    Alpha Kimori, is).

There's a prequel to the series- Dysfunctional Systems: Orientation- that has a lot more useful background stuff in it, but it's five bucks itself- and should have been merged with the original game or used as DLC instead of being a completely separate product. Maybe you could get seven-fifty for it, but Orientation and LtMC aren't really a ten-dollar game in my book.

It was an okay read- better than some- but at the same time, it's over waaay too quick and there's no real reason to replay it once you've seen everything on it. Tossing it in the Complete pile and uninstalling because while it's good, I just have no real reason to go back to it again now that I've seen everything.

So... let's see... where are we going next...? Let's fire this thing up...

...why did I let it spin this long? It's the fucking Wheel of Monotony all over again...

245) Renowned Explorers: International Society

...aaaand it appears I'm off to do more exploring. Where'd I put those shelf-stable cheeseburgers again...?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Lots of good info in this.

Wondering if the Deck might deserve its own thread in Moe's, or something a bit broader like "handheld PCs". I know I'm pretty much only here for Deck info and I'm sure others could care less about an underpowered PC with a tiny screen. Plus its not really a unique platform with its own games, (hell its not even locked to Steam), just another PC hardware with slightly customized linux.

Trouble would be if everyone actually switches over or just keeps posting here...

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Jazz wrote: »
    Lots of good info in this.

Wondering if the Deck might deserve its own thread in Moe's, or something a bit broader like "handheld PCs". I know I'm pretty much only here for Deck info and I'm sure others could care less about an underpowered PC with a tiny screen. Plus its not really a unique platform with its own games, (hell its not even locked to Steam), just another PC hardware with slightly customized linux.

Trouble would be if everyone actually switches over or just keeps posting here...

A not-insignificant number of regular thread posters - myself included - have thrown down the pre-order reservations on Decks. Of course some people here aren't interested in them either, and I have absolutely no idea what the ratio is. On the other hand, I don't know of anyone here who has another model of handheld PC (anyone who does, speak up if you do!), at least yet, and I'd guess that anyone interested in one is now waiting for the Deck. I guess the other question is how many people are interested in Deck info who don't want to keep an eye on this thread regularly - once again, I have no clue what that number of people would be.

That said, if you want to make a thread for the Deck and/or handheld PCs in general in Moe's, then go for it! It could be a good place to keep all this stuff in one place, and it might even attract more people. I just worry that as far as conversation goes, it might be a ghost town until people start getting Deck hardware in their hands. Then I think it might have more chance of coming into its own as people start installing other things, changing OSes, and maybe the ambitious ones start thinking about physical tweaks like upgrading the NVMe drives.

Of course, if you'd rather just get stuck into this thread a bit more, that would be awesome too and we'd love to have you! :) No worries if you'd rather not though, no obligation.

Jazz on
  • Options

The shotgun at close range does ridiculous damage to the vast majority of enemies. I'm talking frequent one shots especially with a few upgrades or whatever that stupid loot crap is where you can slot in percentage increases to damage and whatnot (i hated that system). After I got the dash move I would get close deliberately to click my delete button then dash away.

Basically I would throw, and if anything got too close I would delete them, and go back to throwing. I did this the entire game and it only got stronger and did more damage. I would delete bigger and bigger enemies.

Later on in the game there's enemies with big ol shields and stuff. Dash in, shotgun once (shield down), dash out, throw, dead.

When I got the rocket launcher it was shotgun/rocket launcher. I hear the sniper rifle is pretty good but I only tried it out a couple of times. The revolver is ok for sniping very far away enemies, but otherwise I don't really care about it. The smg is basically worthless to me. I looked it up and saw people talking about upgrades that can reduce its spread dramatically and turn it into a lead firehose that melts enemies but I didn't every set that up to try it. The default smg is kinda trash.

And all of that still pales in comparison to a triple nock throw is the thing. Shields or not, everything died.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVtM-MYRro

Much, much more interesting than the clickbait-y title suggests.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

And all of that still pales in comparison to a triple nock throw is the thing. Shields or not, everything died.

And given how boring the enemies were, we tended to want to get combat over asap. When we talk about Control's combat, it's not just the anemic shooting feel we're talking about (and for the record, I did mostly use the shotgun mode. It still felt unsatisfying compared to almost every other game's third person action game's shooting mechanics). It's also the unimaginative and repetitive enemies (all the crazy lore written in the game and we just get red zombies) and the low effort design of more enemies just straight up teleporting into the area and no amount of adding extra personal hoops to combat can change that.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    #terraria

Welp, murdered the queen bee. Time to commence exploration and building my rail network. Should work on pumping piping hot lava and water into safe spaces to secure passage through hell.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    #terraria

Welp, murdered the queen bee. Time to commence exploration and building my rail network. Should work on pumping piping hot lava and water into safe spaces to secure passage through hell.

This is the plot of the next Terminator movie, you are James Cameron, and I claim my £5.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Don't use cover in Control, other than passively like a pillar you're moving behind. It's not a cover shooter. Never stop moving, shots are more likely to hit you when you're standing still.

Use throw all the time, power it up all the way first thing. Once it becomes a one shot the combat becomes about threat prioritization, what can kill you fastest throw a rock at them ok what's next. I paired it with Pierce for continued one-shots when my energy was recharging. Then as pierce is recharging I use throw again.

Then as you get more movement abilities it becomes even more absurd.

I love Control's combat.

Aistan on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Don't use cover in Control, other than passively like a pillar you're moving behind. It's not a cover shooter. Never stop moving, shots are more likely to hit you when you're standing still.

Use throw all the time, power it up all the way first thing. Once it becomes a one shot the combat becomes about threat prioritization, what can kill you fastest throw a rock at them ok what's next. I paired it with Pierce for continued one-shots when my energy was recharging. Then as pierce is recharging I use throw again.

Then as you get more movement abilities it becomes even more absurd.

I love Control's combat.

I'm enjoying it as well. I need to start putting my points into that. I had a couple into health, but that makes more sense. Especially because, like you, I'm always using throw at enemies. I kind of just fall back on the guns while I wait for the meter to charge.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The main problem I had with Control's combat is that you actually need to spend a big chunk of upgrade points before it starts to feel smooth and not like you're massively outgunned. Until you get to a stage where your Launch reliably kills stuff and you're mobile it's a real struggle to enjoy, but once you do it's pretty damn great.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I had triple nock throw and this is a bit of what I like to call an exaggeration for effect.

The reason I mentioned the shield guys is they did not die. I had to remove the shield first. Then they died to triple nock throw.

It's not actually a choice of "use this or the other one, why would I use the gun when I can throw" because the throw has a cooldown right? So you aren't using it 100% of the time. And sometimes enemies get close to you and by the time you pick up something to throw to them, if they're the wrong type of enemy, you are probably going to die.

So you get situations where people think "ignore guns, only throw" and then die when they could have lived because they ignored the tool designed to fix that issue.

I had maxed out throw by the end of the game, I still used the gun a lot during throws cooldown. I guaranteed you I wasn't doing a challenge mode. It was just more effective to do so.

I would throw things at everything. Then shotgun for upclose stuff and when throw is on cooldown. Later when I got rocket, since fly is free, I would hover up and rain down rockets during throw cooldown.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

I had triple nock throw and this is a bit of what I like to call an exaggeration for effect.

The reason I mentioned the shield guys is they did not die. I had to remove the shield first. Then they died to triple nock throw.

It's not actually a choice of "use this or the other one, why would I use the gun when I can throw" because the throw has a cooldown right? So you aren't using it 100% of the time. And sometimes enemies get close to you and by the time you pick up something to throw to them, if they're the wrong type of enemy, you are probably going to die.

So you get situations where people think "ignore guns, only throw" and then die when they could have lived because they ignored the tool designed to fix that issue.

I had maxed out throw by the end of the game, I still used the gun a lot during throws cooldown. I guaranteed you I wasn't doing a challenge mode. It was just more effective to do so.

I would throw things at everything. Then shotgun for upclose stuff and when throw is on cooldown. Later when I got rocket, since fly is free, I would hover up and rain down rockets during throw cooldown.

I'm not exaggerating at all though. You just refuse to listen to people who go against what you consider your "optimal" playstyle, as always. When my triple nock throw was able to oneshot a hidden boss, giant health bar that vanished like a fart in the Sahara, that's clear evidence of how powerful it is. There's also zero cooldown to throwing, it's only limited by energy just the same as the gun. And when I had energy set to maximum recharge it was always throw o' clock.

You had maxed throw by end of game. I had maxed throw ASAP and I can tell you for a fact, no exaggeration as you seem to think, that the gun's only use in combat was to do something while energy recharged so I could throw again, no matter what enemy I faced. Even the last fight was just flying around throwing things without ever once using the gun.

• Options
    edited July 2021

I'm not exaggerating at all though. You just refuse to listen to people who go against what you consider your "optimal" playstyle, as always. When my triple nock throw was able to oneshot a hidden boss, giant health bar that vanished like a fart in the Sahara, that's clear evidence of how powerful it is. There's also zero cooldown to throwing, it's only limited by energy just the same as the gun. And when I had energy set to maximum recharge it was always throw o' clock.

You had maxed throw by end of game. I had maxed throw ASAP and I can tell you for a fact, no exaggeration as you seem to think, that the gun's only use in combat was to do something while energy recharged so I could throw again, no matter what enemy I faced. Even the last fight was just flying around throwing things without ever once using the gun.

I had the same build as you? I maxed throw literally before any other power. I maxed energy and recharge. I faced the same enemies with the same powers and my throw could not do these things you are saying it does? Like enemies would get close, I would go to throw, with the same build as you, and I would die? Cos throw has a long windup and they are doing damage instantly while I am not? There's big enemies with shields, they would throw at me and do a lot of damage, preventing me from throwing back at them cos throw has a long windup. And even if I did throw, I couldn't one shot them. With the same build as you. So I got close using cover and shot them with the shotgun which is faster than their throw windup. Once the shield is down, I could then throw at them, since they only throw when their shield is up. Are you saying this didn't happen to you at all? How was I playing a different game to you?

I'm not even saying throw is weak? I killed enemies with throw 90% of the time! I'm not even contradicting you!

(By cooldown I meant the energy recharge btw)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Update on previous Control thoughts: I've gotten far enough to get levitate now. Of course, I fell to my death first because I was exploring (which I should have realized was not a concept this game rewards given previous comments about the garbage rando loot) and it turns out there was no way to traverse the descent without levitate, so that was cool.

Then I tried one of the expedition challenges and wasted almost an hour from my life that I'll never get back. This is honestly the most tedious bullshit I've played in years. Some genius at Remedy thought literally non-stop respawning enemies and also fleeing enemy health regenerators that also swiftly respawn and also pseudo-boss enemies whose armor bars regenerate fully after a few seconds (damage doesn't interrupt) makes for some riveting gameplay. Your dps is already constrained by the shared regenerative ammo pool and the energy meter, so chewing through mountains of regenerating health/armor bars is awesome! Obviously you prioritize the regenerator (two shots at a time before it bamfs off somewhere else, all the while getting shot by the guys you aren't killing because you're prioritizing the healer), except then another one spawned within 10 seconds (repeatable), so it was wasted time. There wasn't a healer when the pseudo-boss was up, which was good because even after blowing his armor bar off probably about 25 times, he had eight billion HP to chew through, watching direct hits from the rocket or thrown rubble clip off little pieces at a time.

I failed the first time because I didn't realize what I was supposed to do—the objective was to cleanse a few sites, and when I stood on them for a few seconds a wave of enemies spawned, so I figured I had to clear out the enemies to "cleanse" it. But then of course they never stopped spawning and after some fucking around I realized you had to stand on the plate the entire time and a meter in the corner would go up in timed intervals. Okay, could have bothered explaining that at the outset, but fine, not too hard. By then it was too late to actually finish the other objectives, so I just went to see what they were so I could know for the second run. One of the other sections had another fun objective where Jesse Faden, grown adult human woman, needs to kneel motionless for about 30 seconds in order to unclip some signal device from a soldier's vest. Obviously this is a metered event and if you get hit during it you lose your progress, so no problem, we'll just clear out the enemies and there's the last one gone and now another wave immediately spawns in on top of the objective cool.

The second time around, after such frequent enemy respawning that I honestly thought it might be a bug, I finished the fourth and final one only to learn that the 25 minute time limit on finishing these included running back to the start point, which I was about 20 seconds short of, so that was a second fail.

Fuck you, Control.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Are the expeditions those challenges modes?

I ignored those after trying one. And I'm someone who loves challenges. But control is not a game I want to run challenge modes in. Fuck that shit.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Control seems to hit for some and miss for others. I'm just falling into the miss category. I do really love reading all the reports I'm picking up though.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Control has several pointless dumb systems and the map is terrible and it's still an amazing game.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I don't even know why they have that stupid loot drop system all it did was piss me off and make me have to stand there sorting out worthless percentage increases. They could have stripped the whole thing out and nothing would have changed.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's some stuff that's very "This is a choice you made."

Still! I liked the game a whole lot. I'm not in a rush to go play it again mind, but it was a fun adventure and i enjoyed the dlc. Also you could make hte guns really stronk if you felt like it, and that was great.

---

Ended up grabbing Horizon Zero Dawn. It's Preddy Good! Def some stuff that's a bit iffy (Traversal options being very on rails, some werid UX choices), but hey! Robot Dino hunting! And accidental wildlife squishery when a bunch of grazers blow up

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My Control experience was Throw and Pierce at long range, Throw & Scatter/Pistol/Spray n' Pray at close range. Gunplay felt unpleasant and throwing turned into a novelty I would do while my gun was charging.

I'm open to a sequel, and the characters were fantastic and kept me going, but they really need to turn it up a notch.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Finished up Icewind Dale... Didn't do Heart of Winter because it didn't really feel like the story of my party, there really isn't a good time to go do it. I may take another party through it.

Used mod NPCs, Korin and Nella from the original IWDNPC mod, as well as Minerva Kahiri and Orra... All seemed pretty good writing was excellent, only real problem I ran into was one scripting bug that was easily avoidable (just a broken cutscene option with a Kahiri dialogue that forced a reload to go a different way), and the soundsets aren't quite up to professional quality. On the whole they greatly improved the game and I want to try more (I've dabbled with a few others that were neat as well, there is a halfling blackguard that is very Korgan-esque that I want to try for a longer game, and a theif-bard couple in the original IWDNPC mod).

As for the game itself, it drags up to Dragon Eye ( the first three-ish dungeons), but Severed Hand is really great, and Dorns Deep is absolutely epic.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Would you recommend I do that first out of bg2 and planescape torment? Not sure when to do it. I do like dungeons in these games. I'm gonna finish pillars 1 and 2 first and was thinking of using iwd as a kind of break

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    My Control experience was Throw and Pierce at long range, Throw & Scatter/Pistol/Spray n' Pray at close range. Gunplay felt unpleasant and throwing turned into a novelty I would do while my gun was charging.

I'm open to a sequel, and the characters were fantastic and kept me going, but they really need to turn it up a notch.

The one thing I hate about Pierce is the 'flash' it does when it's done charging. Maybe it's just with RTX on, but the whole screen goes white for a second, disorienting me, right as I want to fire the gun.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Would you recommend I do that first out of bg2 and planescape torment? Not sure when to do it. I do like dungeons in these games. I'm gonna finish pillars 1 and 2 first and was thinking of using iwd as a kind of break

BG2 and Planescape are much more story driven (Planescape the most) while Icewind Dale is a hack and slasher. If you want pure combat, go with IWD, but story I would go with one of the other two. BG2 is probably the best all rounder of the 3, but they're all pretty great!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Control would work better as a survival horror game and I'd like them to go that way in a sequel or at least make it more suspenseful. The best thing is the atmosphere and survival horror could lean into that a lot.

Granted the Force powers mean you can't do the resource management aspect of survival horror easily but I can think of ways to still make it work, e.g. have the powers be super effective if you stand on a ley line like spot that also exposes you to the enemy so you have to sometimes move more.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So far my experience with Control matches Morninglords. You throw shit at people 99% of the time and that 1% you shotgun (or whatever). Throw is clearly the best and most meaningful ability you have, but ultimately you do need to every now and again shoot something. For that the shotgun is actually really good.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Just killed a shitload of enemies and half of my party with explosive barrels in Deadfire.

Worth it. Starting to see the appeal of these fire cracker items now.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Fiatil wrote: »

BG2 and Planescape are much more story driven (Planescape the most) while Icewind Dale is a hack and slasher. If you want pure combat, go with IWD, but story I would go with one of the other two. BG2 is probably the best all rounder of the 3, but they're all pretty great!

I own all of them and they're on my backlog. I've also played bg2 before many times. I'm more just asking, if you wanted to break up the story stuff with combat heavy, where you'd put it in that lineup in terms of order of play.

I'm thinking probably pillars 1, deadfire, iwd, then pt and bg2, since bg2 isn't as heavy as pt.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Control would work better as a survival horror game and I'd like them to go that way in a sequel or at least make it more suspenseful. The best thing is the atmosphere and survival horror could lean into that a lot.

Granted the Force powers mean you can't do the resource management aspect of survival horror easily but I can think of ways to still make it work, e.g. have the powers be super effective if you stand on a ley line like spot that also exposes you to the enemy so you have to sometimes move more.
    That way lies the janky, annoying slow moving "gameplay" of alan wake, though. And who wants that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    245) Renowned Explorers: International Society
    Price: $19.99 (with DLC: More to Explore ($7.49), Emperor's Challenge ($7.49), Soundtrack ($4.99), Artbook ($4.99)

...if I could equate a graphic to my views on this game, this one would be a cute little bunny rabbit. One with an extremely deep and intricate rabbit hole that I could dive into like an giant, overweight Bugs Bunny and spelunk inside as the hours go by, especially during MMO server patch downtimes.

This is the exact reason I decided to do this challenge- because I want to rummage around in the ol' backlog and find stuff that grabs my attention so I have something else to do besides binge things like videos on East and Southeast Asian vending machine sandwiches, and the like. Stuff like Renowned Explorers, something I wish I'd fired up earlier. It is a damned solid game and I wish that I'd gotten hold of it earlier, and it makes it damned easy to play- you pick and choose a party of explorers, and go explore stuff. It's simple, it's fun, and it's incredibly goddamned addicting. I've only got an hour into it, but that is going to be a hell of a lot longer in the future because boy has this game grown on me in an hour.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, this game is so solid it's worth the retail price. You'll get your money's worth out of this one.

I think I'm going to have to go back in with different partners and grind people up for later use in more difficult areas, but it's going to be something I don't mind doing, because it's so easy to play and there aren't a whole lot of stupid bullshit things the game doesn't let you know about.

I think the only hard part of the game was that it doesn't say if you can come back to an expedition if you fail out/do the final encounter/for whatever reason to clear out undiscovered territory, but other than that, I don't really have much of anything to complain about with this game. Yeah, the completionist in me is kind of screaming to do all the nodes that I can all at once... and can I come back for more cracks at challenges/enemies/etc.?

Oh, well, maybe one or two things: there'll come a time where I'll have ground everything out and have everyone to their max levels and have absolutely no reason to play it because I'll have accomplished everything.

I also wish there was a character builder in it, because let's face it, a bunch of Steam Threaders tromping unexplored territory would be really kind of fun and hilarious.

It's easily an 8- it's not something that demands I play it now, but at the same time, it'll be something I reach for when everything else just looks so damned stale and boring and uninviting- y'know, sort of like shelf-stable cheeseburgers. Trust me, the cats wouldn't even touch these- the old Lunchables mini-burgers are better than these.

Anyways, if you're looking for a reason to buy it, I'd say go for it- it's not really violent, and it might be something to play with your kids or significant others who aren't really into games but might give this a try.

It's staying installed, easily. But let's see... where to next? Hopefully it'll be something good...

338) Animals Memory: Cats

...and we're off to match cats. This should be a short one...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

That way lies the janky, annoying slow moving "gameplay" of alan wake, though. And who wants that?

Not me! Give me more Psi-goddess Jesse

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

I own all of them and they're on my backlog. I've also played bg2 before many times. I'm more just asking, if you wanted to break up the story stuff with combat heavy, where you'd put it in that lineup in terms of order of play.

I'm thinking probably pillars 1, deadfire, iwd, then pt and bg2, since bg2 isn't as heavy as pt.

If you have never played planescape I would probably play it after IWD. IWD will give you all the combat you’ll ever need (it’s literally just dungeons, at times you may have 30 minutes of story content between them. The closest comparison in BG games is the part in BG 2 between leaving for spellhold and going back to amn.)

This discussion has been closed.