As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I really don't like that you can't disable cheevo notifications in Steam

it's still the dumbest thing when you hit a story beat or a cutscene, a dramatic interaction and a little box saying "TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL" or whatever farts on screen

Okay but counterpoint: The Part Where He Kills You.

This is that part.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I don't even know what a 3DS is. :razz:

The Nintendo 3DS, or 3DS for short, is a handheld game console released by Nintendo. It was announced in March 2010 and unveiled at E3 2010 as the successor to the Nintendo DS. The system features backward compatibility with older Nintendo DS video games. It was discontinued in September of 2020, although it's still possible to find units in stores or online.

This ends your Nintendo 3DS informational package. Thank you for listening.

Wait what....no. Not knowing what a 3DS is was a joke, right? Pixie was joking, right?

Only half joking. I had a vague knowledge that it was a handheld thingy, but since I've completely ignored every handheld device since the Gameboy*, I didn't really know much more than that.

*I did have one of these as a kid, though.

I had a couple of these. One was a racing game. The other was kind of space shooty type game.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Thank you @destroyah87 probably for Legos!

2m65lc6gbo0k.png

I mean really thank you @Spoit !!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    cklod2yjpvlc.png

Well that's promising. Found a few on Hit Bit's list for me to pursue further.

So many of these pixel graphics games are just plain ugly and fall into the "what old games looked like vs what people think they looked like" meme. >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Well, there's good pixel art and bad pixel art. Hell, there's good retro pixel art and bad retro pixel art.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Well, there's good pixel art and bad pixel art. Hell, there's good retro pixel art and bad retro pixel art.

Yes, but most of it is bad. Good pixel art is a rare thing. Example: Crosscode. Crosscode is good pixel art.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @Viking did a fakeout and had me thinking it was Isy. Thanks for the bug smashing goodness!

03pawgpskqkz.png

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I don't even know what a 3DS is. :razz:

The Nintendo 3DS, or 3DS for short, is a handheld game console released by Nintendo. It was announced in March 2010 and unveiled at E3 2010 as the successor to the Nintendo DS. The system features backward compatibility with older Nintendo DS video games. It was discontinued in September of 2020, although it's still possible to find units in stores or online.

This ends your Nintendo 3DS informational package. Thank you for listening.

Wait what....no. Not knowing what a 3DS is was a joke, right? Pixie was joking, right?

Only half joking. I had a vague knowledge that it was a handheld thingy, but since I've completely ignored every handheld device since the Gameboy*, I didn't really know much more than that.

*I did have one of these as a kid, though.

You're in luck! You can buy another and play it as an adult!

https://smile.amazon.com/Basic-Fun-Handheld-Football-Electronic/dp/B013CNKVD2/

I have one and can now score touchdowns and win the game! As a kid I thought the objective was to kick the ball and run into the other lines. What? I was a weird kid ok?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Splitgate is listed as such on steam and in your library, but if you alt tab in and out of it, you'll see the application is still written as Portal Wars

I won the power ball level by using Portal 1 and 2 lessons to continually rocket through the air from an angled exit portal and redoing my entry portal as needed.

Thank you Glados sempai

Fights get really hectic when you have people that will follow you through portals or know to kill your portals.

Killing people through portals is worth a lot of XP and gives a good feeling. Sometimes they just stand there, watching you.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah SplitGate is a lot of fun, I've been playing it a decent amount

• Options
    This logic checks out... I think only here... thanks @Pixelated Pixie :)
    vcx3ntkt5sfu.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    All this talk of retro LED game has me on ebay watching this beauty from my childhood. I played the crap out of this game, even though I'm still not sure to this day how it worked. I've tried recreating a variation of the game, but always gave up or got distracted.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yes, but most of it is bad. Good pixel art is a rare thing. Example: Crosscode. Crosscode is good pixel art.

I can think of a lot of examples of really good pixel art. But it's heavily SNES and GBA games - i.e. systems where that was all you had to work with.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    True but it’s still another point of annoyance that adds up. My latest annoyance is achievements arent tracking or unlocking but that’s common to a lot of games and is mainly annoying cos I’m an idiot that cares about achievements

I dont care about cheevos but theyre a legit part of games now and you have every right to be annoyed if theyre not functioning.

Agreed. They're named among features right in the Steam listing.

That said, I've restarted twice now. Once, going from jelly beans to trophies, and again tacking from console to PC so hard that my giving a shit about cheevos fell over the railing.

Cheevos are an interesting thing as they directly influence the way some players play the game. I often see people 100%ing some games with hard to get or grindy achievements and they rarely seem super happy about it afterwards. Stuff like having to kill 200.000 monsters in Grim Dawn or having to visit every star system for max score in Battletech career mode just seem like tedious things to me that would leave me bitter afterwards. I wonder if the developers really think these things through and whether they feel at all responsible when you see people doing them but getting burnt out on the game in the process.

In the early days of 360 'cheevos, there were all sorts of weird things as devs & publishers tried to work out what worked and what didn't. One of the most egregious was one where you had to be ranked number one in the world in multiplayer - I think that was in Quake 4. Of course, ones like that were not popular and did not become a typical fixture. But those super grindy ones, although ultimately more achievable if the player is willing to invest the time, do remind me of some of those.

It was worse on the 360 where they were directly tied to gamerscore, so having to leave a game without 100% achievements also impacted that as well as the percentage (or of course effectively made platinums impossible on the trophy system PlayStation systems soon adopted).

There are very, very few games I've ever played for the achievements. A game like Crackdown, for example, felt almost pointless without playing it with them in mind. But even way back in the mists of time when high score tables were king, I was more interested in the experience of playing a game rather than racking up a high score for any real reason. But I appreciate a lot of people aren't like that and achievements were widely lauded as providing a new and universal way of measuring progression in both a game and your overall gaming "career". So when stuff gets locked off behind achievements which, while they may definitely live up the name, are either impossible to get through any normal means or will take an inordinate amount of time to do so to the point of burnout, or at least making the act of playing the game a chore rather than any kind of fun, I really do think those devs/publishers are, at best, missing the point.

Yeah, even later in that system's life, you'd see shenanigans like requiring 10,000 online match wins, or the old trick of having one achievement unlocked by completing a laundry list of other tasks, each the size of an achievement in their own right.

On a good day, though, achievements could be further incentive to replay a title like Bioshock, Mass Effect, or Dead Space. They could be a reason to play a surprisingly fun co-op title like 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand, or an inducement to play a diamond in the rough like Project Sylpheed, King Kong, or Condemned 2.

And like you point out with Crackdown, some games make a lot more sense with a set of goals to work towards. Dead Rising somehow nailed this as an early 360 title, but also drew attention to the need for a weighting system like TrueAchievements.

But today, with what must be an all-time high proportion of gamers having access to an immense library, spread out across different platforms, and with most social interactions around games having long since moved off the XBL/PSN friends list and onto other platforms, the main purpose this digital flair serves is giving an Untitled Goose or a big honking bald barcoded assassin some humorous optional objectives.

ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    I played a bit of Oceanhorn tonight as it was the one game from Hit Bit's list that was already in my library. It's cute and fun enough so far. I can't quite decide if it actually scratches the itch I was going for or not.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    True but it’s still another point of annoyance that adds up. My latest annoyance is achievements arent tracking or unlocking but that’s common to a lot of games and is mainly annoying cos I’m an idiot that cares about achievements

I dont care about cheevos but theyre a legit part of games now and you have every right to be annoyed if theyre not functioning.

Agreed. They're named among features right in the Steam listing.

That said, I've restarted twice now. Once, going from jelly beans to trophies, and again tacking from console to PC so hard that my giving a shit about cheevos fell over the railing.

Cheevos are an interesting thing as they directly influence the way some players play the game. I often see people 100%ing some games with hard to get or grindy achievements and they rarely seem super happy about it afterwards. Stuff like having to kill 200.000 monsters in Grim Dawn or having to visit every star system for max score in Battletech career mode just seem like tedious things to me that would leave me bitter afterwards. I wonder if the developers really think these things through and whether they feel at all responsible when you see people doing them but getting burnt out on the game in the process.

In the early days of 360 'cheevos, there were all sorts of weird things as devs & publishers tried to work out what worked and what didn't. One of the most egregious was one where you had to be ranked number one in the world in multiplayer - I think that was in Quake 4. Of course, ones like that were not popular and did not become a typical fixture. But those super grindy ones, although ultimately more achievable if the player is willing to invest the time, do remind me of some of those.

It was worse on the 360 where they were directly tied to gamerscore, so having to leave a game without 100% achievements also impacted that as well as the percentage (or of course effectively made platinums impossible on the trophy system PlayStation systems soon adopted).

There are very, very few games I've ever played for the achievements. A game like Crackdown, for example, felt almost pointless without playing it with them in mind. But even way back in the mists of time when high score tables were king, I was more interested in the experience of playing a game rather than racking up a high score for any real reason. But I appreciate a lot of people aren't like that and achievements were widely lauded as providing a new and universal way of measuring progression in both a game and your overall gaming "career". So when stuff gets locked off behind achievements which, while they may definitely live up the name, are either impossible to get through any normal means or will take an inordinate amount of time to do so to the point of burnout, or at least making the act of playing the game a chore rather than any kind of fun, I really do think those devs/publishers are, at best, missing the point.

Oh man, I remember one of the ghost recons having an achievement for being number 1 on a leaderboard and thinking back then how horrible of an idea for an achievement that was. I had major nelson on my friends list back then and he had it because he obviously got to play all of those games before they were released, anyone else good luck.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The devs for the King Kong game that was a 360 launch title didn't quite get the direction Microsoft was going for, and ended up releasing the game with exactly 9 achievements. The first 8 you would get automatically as you hit certain parts of the story, and were worth 100 gamerscore each. You would get the last achievement when you beat the game, and it was worth 200 gamerscore.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The devs for the King Kong game that was a 360 launch title didn't quite get the direction Microsoft was going for, and ended up releasing the game with exactly 9 achievements. The first 8 you would get automatically as you hit certain parts of the story, and were worth 100 gamerscore each. You would get the last achievement when you beat the game, and it was worth 200 gamerscore.

I recall a Terminator game that had the same thing, all the achievements were tied to story missions, and I think the last was completing it on Hard.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    My favourite cheevo mess was the rebooted Prince of Persia (the one where you couldn't die) and it literally gave you something like 5-6 achievements within the first few minutes of the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I’m ok with achievements that are just linked to story progression, not every achievement has to be like a challenge, sometimes it can just stand as a record of your progress in a game. And while I care way too much about achievements, it’s all just a dumb fun hobby so I’m not surprised that anyone likes or dislikes any one particular aspect of gaming for any reason.

However achievement makers who make Xbox achievements not ending in 5 or 0 can go to hell. Look, it’s a nonsense convention, but it’s the convention people! We’re living in a society here!

Prohass on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    yo you all need to check this out. I first heard of it when cyberpunk 2077 came out and was being a big ole buggy mess but i missed the timing of their demo build they were running.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368030/ANNO_Mutationem/

but they have a demo up again until I think the 12th.

the sense i got from the demo was full on new deus ex/cyberpunk style city adventurin' and then some pretty solid side scrolling beat 'em up combat. It's also gorgeous pixel art. I'm 100% getting this when it comes out, assuming it does come out, I don't know why it just has a coming soon/play demo option and won't let me just pre order it!

Also the main character has a cyber disease called entangleitis which is really just very much a cyber disease from the future

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    After skimming the cyberpunk listing, I resolve to make a very nitty gritty civ game, with $50 DLC where everything is sexified.
    Mind control faction becomes bimbofication faction.
    Yajuta faction becomes space amazons
    Everyone else becomes variations on those poser models
    The greys are just women in silver jumpsuits

Parzan 2 recap
    Oh, I should get me one of these APC looking drones, they look useful.
    Lets pick up a mission
    OH FUCK THE PIRATES BOUGHT THEIR OWN APC DRONE
    FUCK FUCK FUCK
    SHOOT MY DRONE!

Died inside because I ran out of missiles but good times.

Only real, painful, problem with the game is that you toggle your guns with the F button and a popup menu on the left and your missiles with your G button and a popup button on the right. But everyone runs around with their guns shooting out of their right arm, and the missiles coming off your left shoulder.

While I know its just a matter of the power armor getting developed after the ship and the UI, its just .....bothersome.

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    My favourite cheevo mess was the rebooted Prince of Persia (the one where you couldn't die) and it literally gave you something like 5-6 achievements within the first few minutes of the game.

There were tons of both of those sorts of games. My favorite, of the former, was EDF2017, which only had six achievements. The last 500 gamerscore was awarded only on beating the game on Inferno difficulty. And yes, I had the "1000G in five minutes" games on my list, too. Those were too tempting when you were closing in on a milestone.

These days, I've got a Steam folder set aside as an oubliette for games where I hit that "I'm good here" moment. Got too much in my backlog to justify a focus on getting 100% in some random game I picked up on sale.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Still chasing that Slay the Spire, card game high. No luck yet.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    -Loki- wrote: »

I recall a Terminator game that had the same thing, all the achievements were tied to story missions, and I think the last was completing it on Hard.

Yeah, similiar thing with the TMNT game on 360. Beat every level and then final achievement was beat first level without getting hit. A lot of achievement lists back then were either super easy or next to impossible.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

Do you mean you're looking for another game of that caliber?

STS is probably the pinnacle of the genre, but Monster Train is pretty decent (though not as in depth) as well.

I haven't played it yet but Vault of the Void is supposedly pretty good as well.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Do you mean you're looking for another game of that caliber?

STS is probably the pinnacle of the genre, but Monster Train is pretty decent (though not as in depth) as well.

I haven't played it yet but Vault of the Void is supposedly pretty good as well.

Yeah, Vault of the Void is probaby the closest to STS while still doing its own thing.

Roguebook is another card game but its mechanics mix kinda wear thin and can be annoying.

Monster Train is very nice for a mess around game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Neoverse looks like a 3D porn game but there's actually a decently solid card battler there. I got a solid 10-12 hours out of it before I stopped.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I bought Monster Train and Roguebook and neither have given me the same level of satisfaction Slay the Spire did.

Also I keep hearing about Wildermyth but I guess I just realized it's not a card game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I played a bit of Oceanhorn tonight as it was the one game from Hit Bit's list that was already in my library. It's cute and fun enough so far. I can't quite decide if it actually scratches the itch I was going for or not.

I really liked Moonlighter. Might not be the thing you're going for, but it's a fun dungeon crawler + shopkeep sim, with a neat tetris-inventory mini-game for optimizing loot. Less exploration and more focused on dungeon-ing Zelda style.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I bought Monster Train and Roguebook and neither have given me the same level of satisfaction Slay the Spire did.

Also I keep hearing about Wildermyth but I guess I just realized it's not a card game.

Griftlands is easily the best non Slay The Spire card battler IMO. I think I actually like it more than StS.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Griftlands is easily the best non Slay The Spire card battler IMO. I think I actually like it more than StS.

In a Saturated as Hell market for deckcrawlers, Griftlands is truly something special.

I'm eyeing Roguebook because of Richard Garfield's pedigree but I'm not so sure about it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

In a Saturated as Hell market for deckcrawlers, Griftlands is truly something special.

I'm eyeing Roguebook because of Richard Garfield's pedigree but I'm not so sure about it.

I'd say, give it a try. But don't give the Garfield name attachment any weight.

I did and while I can see some of the similarities that probably came from his name being attached to the project; it's also not clearly improved by his name being attached.

At this point, I think the name is just there to get the recognition and tread on the celebrity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Have you tried Fights in Tight Spaces? It has a free demo that I really liked. I can't speak to the full game, but the demo was good enough that I put the full game on my wishlist while I wait for other deckbuilders to lose their luster.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I'd say, give it a try. But don't give the Garfield name attachment any weight.

I did and while I can see some of the similarities that probably came from his name being attached to the project; it's also not clearly improved by his name being attached.

At this point, I think the name is just there to get the recognition and tread on the celebrity.

This post is extra brilliant if you read it to be about Garfield Kart.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Some reviews coming out for Wrath of the Righteous, sounds like its an improvement over Kingmaker and the mythic paths deliver.

Can't wait. Really wish I could call in sick tomorrow but just got done taking two weeks off to move, not an option. bah.

*furiously thinks about necromancy while putting products in aisle*

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Some reviews coming out for Wrath of the Righteous, sounds like its an improvement over Kingmaker and the mythic paths deliver.

Can't wait. Really wish I could call in sick tomorrow but just got done taking two weeks off to move, not an option. bah.

*furiously thinks about necromancy while putting products in aisle*

Supposedly the campaign is like 100+ hours, so....see you in October.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I really didn't like the art in Slay the Spire, stopped me from getting any more into the game. Also probably didn't like the gameplay, but the art definitely turned me off and might have colored my perception of the rest of the game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Have you tried Fights in Tight Spaces? It has a free demo that I really liked. I can't speak to the full game, but the demo was good enough that I put the full game on my wishlist while I wait for other deckbuilders to lose their luster.

Oh yeah, FITS is dang fun too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So does anyone have any suggestions for a modern quakelike? I would like to do some online play after messing with quake remastered but quake 1 dm, while ok, really isn’t my favorite (and I doubt there will be a lot of long term interest anyway). Quake 2 has a couple of servers running but eh…

Is Champions any good?

This discussion has been closed.