As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

194959799100

Posts

  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    How does Nier Replicant run on PC these days? Worth it or should I just get the PS4 version?

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Right, Halo. My one thing so far is that I don't have a good feel for the weapons and their effectiveness/use yet. Hard to gauge against enemies with shields I guess. I do like the needler though! Sick melee animation, too
    Pistol is a well rounded workhorse, deals good DPS with a pretty broad effective range and insta-kills on headshots on unshielded enemies. It has some bloom, even if the game doesn't really indicate this, so at long or mid range you will need to pace your shots just a bit to maintain accuracy.
    Plasma rifle deals good DPS but is a more short ranged weapon, but also does extra damage to shields. Can be used to strip shields before switching to a pistol headshot, and kills grunts and jackals decently quick if you need to save pistol ammo.
    The plasma pistol's overcharge function deals a pretty big burst of damage. Great for stripping shields, but in contrast to later Halo games it also deals pretty good health damage too. It also will lock onto enemies that're surprisingly far away, well out of red reticule range. Makes it almost as much of a workhorse on its own as the pistol is, and paired with the pistol you can efficiently eliminate basically any covenant enemy.
    Needler deals nearly all its damage with the explosion that occurs when you get seven needles in a target at the same time. The needles pop individually after a few seconds after embedding, so if you can't get that seven in in quick enough succession you won't be able to get the supercombine explosion, and you won't be able to get any decent damage. It does deal pretty huge damage if you can get those explosions, though. Kills near everything in one or two explosions.
    Assault rifle has okay DPS if you're in real close range, but not really what you'd want for how close you need to get. Not a peashooter, but the only time it's not outclassed by the rest of the sandbox is if you just can't hit a target well so you just want that big cone of fire to spray and pray.

    I figure the sniper rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher are straightforward enough?

    There are some things this breakdown doesn't really cover, decent chance you already know what I've left out, but in writing this I assumed you were going in more or less blind.

    cB557 on
    el_vicioRoyceSraphimThawmus
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Halo: which one is the first one in that whole mess? I figure I might as well see why people like it while it's free.

    Chronologically or by release date?

    Release date
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo: Reach
    Halo 4

    Chronologically
    Halo: Reach
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo 3
    Halo 4

    And I've just lost all sense of the word halo now.

    I was going to say Marathon, but I see they’ve finally said the two aren’t connected.

    Obviously they are, but what can you do.

    I ought to try Halo I guess? All I remember is trying out shooting from the back of a truck when my housemate got it on XBox, and it was ok but I was terrible at it.

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The Halo 2 and Halo 3 teaser trailers still give me chills.

    I have them on my HD.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    el_vicioRoyceSraphim
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I remember the Halo 1 demo/trailer, when it was a pc game still, and how blown away we were by the huge world and the Warthog and whatnot

    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It has some bloom, even if the game doesn't really indicate this, so at long or mid range you will need to pace your shots just a bit to maintain accuracy.
    Oh whoops had meant to add this sentence to the pistol's description, accidentally added it to the plasma rifle's. Fixed now.

  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Right, Halo. My one thing so far is that I don't have a good feel for the weapons and their effectiveness/use yet. Hard to gauge against enemies with shields I guess. I do like the needler though! Sick melee animation, too
    Pistol is a well rounded workhorse, deals good DPS with a pretty broad effective range and insta-kills on headshots on unshielded enemies. It has some bloom, even if the game doesn't really indicate this, so at long or mid range you will need to pace your shots just a bit to maintain accuracy.
    Plasma rifle deals good DPS but is a more short ranged weapon, but also does extra damage to shields. Can be used to strip shields before switching to a pistol headshot, and kills grunts and jackals decently quick if you need to save pistol ammo.
    The plasma pistol's overcharge function deals a pretty big burst of damage. Great for stripping shields, but in contrast to later Halo games it also deals pretty good health damage too. It also will lock onto enemies that're surprisingly far away, well out of red reticule range. Makes it almost as much of a workhorse on its own as the pistol is, and paired with the pistol you can efficiently eliminate basically any covenant enemy.
    Needler deals nearly all its damage with the explosion that occurs when you get seven needles in a target at the same time. The needles pop individually after a few seconds after embedding, so if you can't get that seven in in quick enough succession you won't be able to get the supercombine explosion, and you won't be able to get any decent damage. It does deal pretty huge damage if you can get those explosions, though. Kills near everything in one or two explosions.
    Assault rifle has okay DPS if you're in real close range, but not really what you'd want for how close you need to get. Not a peashooter, but the only time it's not outclassed by the rest of the sandbox is if you just can't hit a target well so you just want that big cone of fire to spray and pray.

    I figure the sniper rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher are straightforward enough?

    There are some things this breakdown doesn't really cover, decent chance you already know what I've left out, but in writing this I assumed you were going in more or less blind.

    Unless it's patched in a newer version the pistol in the original halo was a laser. I remember being out of sniper ammo and zooming with it to aim at an enemy camper, swapped to pistol and popped off a couple shots and killed them. That was across the longest axis of blood gulch. The pistol in H1 was insane, it killed faster than the assault rifle.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    Steam: MajorEnfejar
    DrovekJazzAuralynxThawmus
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's not a "weapon art", it's an ANIMATION Registered User regular
    For those who might've missed it, the Monster Hunter Rise demo (Same demo as the Switch had) is out and it's definitely a "Oh neat" and then turn it off and wait for the game to come out kind of thing, but it's interesting just how much better the game feels in 1440p at 120 fps with HDR on.

    I went back to the Switch version and I just couldn't. The 30 fps was too much for me to handle.

  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks 😉Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Doom fans with RE3make, this may be up your street: Doom Slayer Jill mod.

    This is great. I'm gonna pretend its Crash from Quake III.
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Halo: which one is the first one in that whole mess? I figure I might as well see why people like it while it's free.

    Chronologically or by release date?

    Release date
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo: Reach
    Halo 4

    Chronologically
    Halo: Reach
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo 3
    Halo 4

    And I've just lost all sense of the word halo now.

    Beyonces internally

    JazzKoopahTroopahStormwatcher
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Playing through Black Mesa. Head crabs continue to resemble frozen turkeys with crab legs.

    820ygm4437un.png

    Damn, Black Mesa. It's bad enough I got whapped in the face by an alien's giant nutsack. You don't have to make a cheevo out of it. :mad:

    Betsuni
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Into The Breach is an all-time low and under $5 US right now. On Steam

    Commander ZoomRoyceSraphimMNC DoverElvenshaeIanatorDrovekStabbity StyleStollsKoopahTroopahel_vicioThawmusTofystedethNaphtali
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You can see a mountain in the distance, and you can go to there. You can unlock shrines to enable fast-travel between them. There is a robust cooking system.

    Am I talking about The Good Life, or Breath of the Wild?

    Yes.

    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    FencingsaxIanatorDrovekStabbity StyleJazzThawmusMugsley
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Halo: which one is the first one in that whole mess? I figure I might as well see why people like it while it's free.

    Chronologically or by release date?

    Release date
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo: Reach
    Halo 4

    Chronologically
    Halo: Reach
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo 3
    Halo 4

    And I've just lost all sense of the word halo now.

    Release date, as I'm assuming they get improved in graphics and overall layout as they go.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular


    That's the one that's stuck in my head forever and it's absolutely perfect when it's used.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Commander ZoomRoyceSraphimThawmus
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The Halo 2 and Halo 3 teaser trailers still give me chills.

    3's announcement teaser especially was stunning. Turn up the sound for it.

    Keep the volume up, and follow that up with Halo Landfall:

    RoyceSraphimJazz
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The Halo 2 and Halo 3 teaser trailers still give me chills.

    3's announcement teaser especially was stunning. Turn up the sound for it.

    Keep the volume up, and follow that up with Halo Landfall:

    Probably the biggest thing I dislike about the Marvel cinematic universe is that we didn't get 3 movies worth of looking at every African woman in the background who appeared to be a little too fit and paying too much attention

    Because anticipation is a glorious thing

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    The only Halo game I played was 2, and I recalled really enjoying the Arbiter's story, like it being way better than it had any right to be.

    I gather that was lightning in a bottle.

    ePITGr0.png
    RoyceSraphimKaroz
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The only Halo game I played was 2, and I recalled really enjoying the Arbiter's story, like it being way better than it had any right to be.

    I gather that was lightning in a bottle.
    I wouldn't go so far as calling it lightning in a bottle. Like, I like ODST's story more. But 2 was definitely a high point in their storytelling.

    RoyceSraphim
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There was negative feedback because the Arbiter wasn't the Master Chief but the Arbiter was a more interesting character by far. I think the actual negativity associated with the Arbiter is because he got stuck with all Flood levels, or the idea that if it weren't for the Arbiter levels we would have gotten a proper ending to Halo 2.

    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    cB557RoyceSraphimArmsForPeace84
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 17
    The Arbiter was also one of those sort of bait-and-switch moments at the time, not unlike Raiden in MGS2 - although I think most would agree the Arbiter was at least a better character. Once the initial bitching from the fanboys died down I think he ended up better appreciated. And so he should, he's pretty awesome.

    As for the ending, at least anyone playing Halo 2 now isn't going to have to wait three years to continue the story.

    Jazz on
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    I loved the Arbiter, screw the fanboys. I was seriously let down when I didn't get to be him during Halo 3 and besides the fact that I played waaay too much H2 and H3 multi and burned myself out, I lost interest in continuing the series after that.

    steam_sig.png
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    Youtube: Thawmus
    JazzKaroz
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    there i was in chat, being super sweet and innocent as per usual, saying I would coop Back 4 Blood once it got a deep discount.... when suddenly...
    rQegnMz.jpg
    I WAS STAKED IN THE HEART WITH A DEEP DISCOUNT BY A CHUCK MONSTER!
    VsJs3ru.jpg
    much thanks @chuck steak for Back 4 Blood, you MONSTER!!! <3<3<3<3

    Pixelated PixieThawmusbloodatonementStollsübergeekIanatorKalnaurElvenshaePoketpixieJazzMNC DoverBetsuniemp123RoyceSraphiman_altFencingsaxKarozTalus9952Ed GrubermanKoopahTroopahMugsleyjclastDaringDirk
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Had a stuck green envelope. @destroyah87 tried to fix it. Did not quite work out but thanks a lot either way. <3<3

    i3pcg295uhcy.jpg

    ZavianPixelated PixieElvenshaePoketpixieJazzübergeekMNC DoverBetsuniKalnaurRoyceSraphiman_altFencingsaxKarozTalus9952Stabbity StyleStollsEd GrubermanJaysonFourKoopahTroopahMugsleyjclastDaringDirkStormwatcher
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ohhh myyyyy.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    ironzergMugsley
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Halo: which one is the first one in that whole mess? I figure I might as well see why people like it while it's free.

    Chronologically or by release date?

    Release date
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo: Reach
    Halo 4

    Chronologically
    Halo: Reach
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 2
    Halo 3: ODST
    Halo 3
    Halo 4

    And I've just lost all sense of the word halo now.

    Release date, as I'm assuming they get improved in graphics and overall layout as they go.

    Eh, I feel like 2 and 3 (and ODST) were the peak gameplay-wise, including level design. (though obviously they get better from a pure graphics standpoint). Not that reach or 4 were terrible, but I enjoyed the SP campaigns for 2 and 3 better and I think that’s the general consensus. Edit: though apparently there are people that like reach better than 2 and that’s fair I guess, I enjoyed it too.

    Jealous Deva on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was excited for the space level that came soon enough, but was disappointed as the system for space combat was sub par compared to other games.
    I really want a Halo set space sim.

    But what really, really got me was the level after planet fall, after you hook back up with nobel squadron. Its going through a city in the middle of a siege and you're taking in all these buildings on fire and a few are burning up and collapsing.

    You fly around and do ops in various buildings while engaging in banshee dogfights (again, dull, but almost there). But trying to pick out patrolling banshees out through the haze by their engine plums and looking into the setting sun to see banshee profiles blacked against the burning pink sky....the game just sings.

    I would legit enjoy an open world game where you just scavenge across a city-scape with a VTOL aircraft after some sort of apocalypse. Doesn't even need combat, call it skynautica. Fly around from building to building, scavenge data about culture and the fall, avoid getting caught in upswells of the toxins and getting caught in downswells.....I think I just described a really dark versions of The Jetsons.

    Anyway, mission 8 of 10, probably will beat it tonight. Good shit.

    cB557Commander Zoom
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    I have the fondest memories of the campaigns in ODST and Reach, in part because I played through both on Legendary Co-op, start to finish, with the same group of friends. I preferred Firefight in ODST, because I adored the suppressed SMG and pistol, and the notion of taking down powerful enemies with precision application of these tools. Having loathed the familiar gameplay loop of "get power weapon, slay foes, get power weapon..." since Quakeworld days. But Reach was, and remains, the peak on a technical level for the series. And I suspect it will be easier to come back to when I eventually get around to playing the MCC that I now own on two platforms.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Right, Halo. My one thing so far is that I don't have a good feel for the weapons and their effectiveness/use yet. Hard to gauge against enemies with shields I guess. I do like the needler though! Sick melee animation, too
    Pistol is a well rounded workhorse, deals good DPS with a pretty broad effective range and insta-kills on headshots on unshielded enemies. It has some bloom, even if the game doesn't really indicate this, so at long or mid range you will need to pace your shots just a bit to maintain accuracy.
    Plasma rifle deals good DPS but is a more short ranged weapon, but also does extra damage to shields. Can be used to strip shields before switching to a pistol headshot, and kills grunts and jackals decently quick if you need to save pistol ammo.
    The plasma pistol's overcharge function deals a pretty big burst of damage. Great for stripping shields, but in contrast to later Halo games it also deals pretty good health damage too. It also will lock onto enemies that're surprisingly far away, well out of red reticule range. Makes it almost as much of a workhorse on its own as the pistol is, and paired with the pistol you can efficiently eliminate basically any covenant enemy.
    Needler deals nearly all its damage with the explosion that occurs when you get seven needles in a target at the same time. The needles pop individually after a few seconds after embedding, so if you can't get that seven in in quick enough succession you won't be able to get the supercombine explosion, and you won't be able to get any decent damage. It does deal pretty huge damage if you can get those explosions, though. Kills near everything in one or two explosions.
    Assault rifle has okay DPS if you're in real close range, but not really what you'd want for how close you need to get. Not a peashooter, but the only time it's not outclassed by the rest of the sandbox is if you just can't hit a target well so you just want that big cone of fire to spray and pray.

    I figure the sniper rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher are straightforward enough?

    There are some things this breakdown doesn't really cover, decent chance you already know what I've left out, but in writing this I assumed you were going in more or less blind.

    Unless it's patched in a newer version the pistol in the original halo was a laser. I remember being out of sniper ammo and zooming with it to aim at an enemy camper, swapped to pistol and popped off a couple shots and killed them. That was across the longest axis of blood gulch. The pistol in H1 was insane, it killed faster than the assault rifle.

    So many rounds of pistols on Hang 'Em High in the dorms.

    Also fun thing about the original Halo: Combat Evolved. Don't know if they fixed it in the rerelease.
    If you melee someone from behind it's an insta-kill. In multiplayer, there was an error on the player models such that one of the shins counted as behind. So there were a couple levels with little pits you could hide in and just murder someone by punching their leg.

    Also if it's your first time through you owe it yourself to mess around with grenades and warthog physics. The devs described the Warthog in 1 as a "giant invincible spring with wheels".

    Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Jazz
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Reach beaten.

    When Keyes' voice came over the radio......fuuuuuck.

    However, the pistol does not one shot the big ones any more.

  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Doom fans with RE3make, this may be up your street: Doom Slayer Jill mod.


    I want a female doom slayer so bad, or a female ranger for quake

    RoyceSraphimJazzcj iwakuraMugsleyBetsuni
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bloody frustrating i could not find the doom 2 wad with female character

  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Doom fans with RE3make, this may be up your street: Doom Slayer Jill mod.


    I want a female doom slayer so bad, or a female ranger for quake

    I was totally expecting Crash to turn up in Doom Eternal.

    Prohassrahkeesh2000
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Turns out Halo is kinda fun, though I get the feeling this is a fair chunk of where limited weapons came from. Still, it's too bad I didn't get to finish even the first of the games.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

    RoyceSraphim
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks 😉Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    Help me get rid of these:

    The first person to post a picture of Hell or of a blade in the thread will get a key for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

    The first person to post a picture of an AE86 or of Tofu in the thread will get a key for Absolute Drift.

    The first person to post either a picture of an alien or a picture of the "Aliens" guy will get a key for XCOM 2.

    SmokeStacks on
    DonnictonIoloJazzMugsleyBetsuniMNC DoverRoyceSraphiman_altemp123KarozStolls
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    Drovek on
    steam_sig.png
    ( < . . .
    RoyceSraphim
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    The first person to post either a picture of an alien or a picture of the "Aliens" guy will get a key for XCOM 2.

    In my mind, there's only one true "Aliens" guy...getting killed by three of the most terrifying adversaries from my childhood holds a special place in my heart. If only he had been chewed on by a Gremlin...

    3q32ywme4x9k.jpg

    *I don't need a free game, but I can never pass up an opportunity to post a funny picture.

    MulletudeElvenshaeIoloKoopahTroopahAkilaeTofystedethJazzMugsleyBetsuniMNC DoverIanatorRoyceSraphimArmsForPeace84emp123StollsTalus9952Thawmus
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    ironzerg wrote: »
    The first person to post either a picture of an alien or a picture of the "Aliens" guy will get a key for XCOM 2.

    In my mind, there's only one true "Aliens" guy...getting killed by three of the most terrifying adversaries from my childhood holds a special place in my heart. If only he had been chewed on by a Gremlin...

    3q32ywme4x9k.jpg

    *I don't need a free game, but I can never pass up an opportunity to post a funny picture.

    Bill Paxtons face during the knife scene on the ship before they go to the planet is my steam profile pic :)

    Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    JazzBetsuniRoyceSraphimThawmus
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Reach beaten.

    When Keyes' voice came over the radio......fuuuuuck.

    However, the pistol does not one shot the big ones any more.
    What, Hunters? Yeah, in CE the fleshy bits of Hunters was mis-tagged as a head, so snipers and pistols would insta-kill them.

This discussion has been closed.