As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sub-Saharan Africa] News and Politics Thread

124»

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    For those that want a deep analysis outside the latest headlines, Naked Capitalism posted The War Nerd running through every single detail of this conflict.

From the grim details of what an insurgency means, to the possibility that the "peace deal" was just Eritrea wanting a central government willing to let them carve out a piece of Ethiopia, to the background of this entire war, it covers a lot.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Some interesting news. First off, the UN is moving all their people from Ethiopia:
    UNITED NATIONS, Nov 23 (Reuters) - The United Nations is "temporarily relocating" families of international staff from Ethiopia due to the security situation, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Tuesday, adding that U.N. personnel would remain in the country.

"We will continue to monitor the situation as it evolves, keeping in mind the safety of our staff and the need to continue to stand and deliver and to continue operations and support all the people that need our assistance," Dujarric said.

Second, and oh boy this is a thing, PM Abiy is now leading from the front:
    ADDIS ABABA, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has gone to direct the war effort from the front lines, state-affiliated media reported on Wednesday, and Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen Hassen will take charge of routine government business in his absence.

Government spokesman Legesse Tulu detailed the transfer of some routine duties in a news conference, the report from Fana news outlet said.

Abiy announced late on Monday he was planning to personally direct the fight against Tigrayan forces and their allies.

"Let's meet at the war front," he wrote "The time has come to lead the country with sacrifice."

Somehow that isn't filling people with confidence that Abiy has this handled.

Okay I checked Wikipedia and he did serve in the military for 9 years so that is slightly less insane than it at first appeared. On the other hand that article also mentions too Olympic athletes joining the military.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    To be honest I have no trouble believing the Tigrayans are doing bad shit because that’s how wars work. I do have a hard time believing anything claiming the government is not also doing bad shit and trying to blame deflect on their behalf.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm laughing at the UN leaving because when I flew into Addis for work they canceled our reservations because the UN was coming to town

We stayed at the Mariot

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Second, and oh boy this is a thing, PM Abiy is now leading from the front:
    ADDIS ABABA, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has gone to direct the war effort from the front lines, state-affiliated media reported on Wednesday, and Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen Hassen will take charge of routine government business in his absence.

Government spokesman Legesse Tulu detailed the transfer of some routine duties in a news conference, the report from Fana news outlet said.

Abiy announced late on Monday he was planning to personally direct the fight against Tigrayan forces and their allies.

"Let's meet at the war front," he wrote "The time has come to lead the country with sacrifice."

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER 2019

Great job, buncha old Norwegians

Kayne Red Robe
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    For those that want a deep analysis outside the latest headlines, Naked Capitalism posted The War Nerd running through every single detail of this conflict.

From the grim details of what an insurgency means, to the possibility that the "peace deal" was just Eritrea wanting a central government willing to let them carve out a piece of Ethiopia, to the background of this entire war, it covers a lot.

Very interesting, although some sources online say that the Tigrayan and Tigrinya people are not one and the same as the article states.

edited November 25

That website design gives me a headache on mobile, but the ethnic group in question dominating the military branches of both Eritrea and Ethiopia is something I had not seen shared before. using text to speech to write this

Edit:

Fixed

What I mean by my statement is that these are going to be experienced commanders fighting on the Tigray side, with actual field expertise. Not dudes sitting in the back ordering other people to get it done

RoyceSraphim on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Good ol War Nerd

Actually cuts through the bullshit and at least tries to provide an analysis

Solar wrote: »
    Good ol War Nerd

Actually cuts through the bullshit and at least tries to provide an analysis

I can't tell his advertising from the damn article

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I'm laughing at the UN leaving because when I flew into Addis for work they canceled our reservations because the UN was coming to town
    That's an odd thing to say. "The UN was coming to town"?

Addis is home to the Economic Commission for Africa , and many UN agencies and funds also have large offices with permanent staff there. Those many hundreds of people live there with spouses and children. In cities on the point of undergoing a violent coup d'état, it's unsurprising that the UN evacuates these people. These are project officers, economists, hr people etc., not peacekeepers.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    Solvent wrote: »
    That's an odd thing to say. "The UN was coming to town"?

Addis is home to the Economic Commission for Africa , and many UN agencies and funds also have large offices with permanent staff there. Those many hundreds of people live there with spouses and children. In cities on the point of undergoing a violent coup d'état, it's unsurprising that the UN evacuates these people. These are project officers, economists, hr people etc., not peacekeepers.

We landed at the airport, had our reservations, were sat down and told to fuck off

You cannot understand the scale of this facility
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/dQQct4FuQiRPtHZF7

Going to be useful once the fighting starts 😔

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    lol, friend, I know the place well.
    You said the Marriott btw, which is considerably smaller but closer to the UN offices.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    Solvent wrote: »
    lol, friend, I know the place well.
    You said the Marriott btw, which is considerably smaller but closer to the UN offices.

No, the Mariot