As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiking pants for guys with big thighs

shorttiminshorttimin regularRegistered User regular
Hi everybody!

Going on a roadtrip to Montana soon where it'll be in the high 90's while we're there. I wanted to pick up some hiking pants, but I'm finding out that my usual pant problem still exists in this realm. That problem is that my waist size doesn't correlate with the pant manufacturer's assumption about my thigh size.

If I get pants that fit my waist, my thighs look like they're stuffed into sausage casings, forget if I lunge or squat a bit. If I get pants that fit my thighs, I have to cinch up the waist and I've got a bunch of extra material flopping around my feet. I'm currently around a 38" waist and my thighs are around 27".

Any suggestions from you folks would be greatly appreciated! I'm currently looking at these: 5.11 Taclite Pro

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Do you need pants? At that temperature I'd do shorts. You could also do shorts with tights underneath if you so desire. I have big thighs so I have a similar issue, I've learned to look for pants with the gusseted crotch, like those you listed as that means they are cut for movement. Rock climbing pants tend to be cut that way as well.

Not hiking related, but I find the Old Navy "athletic" cut jeans and pants are good for providing more thigh room without leaving you with flappy baggy legs,

:so_raven:
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Since we plan on doing some hiking I wanted to avoid ticks and picking anything else up. I've also already had some bad exposure to poison oak and don't want to repeat that!

For tights, do you just use an UnderArmor type?

I would have never looked at Old Navy, most of their stuff has been super "flimsy", for lack of a better word, but I'll check them out. Thanks!