As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Some call it bootlegging. Some call it racketeering. I call it Magic.

• chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    Maybe take a look at the Green/Black elf commander pre-con from Kaldheim. It's pretty decent as is, IMO.

Macro9Ketar
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think all of the Strixhaven Commander decks are also pretty good out of the box. Lots more rares than normal, and decent actual built-in synergies.

MatevKwoaruVyolynce
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Yeah I would look into proxying lands if that pod is cool with it. Building a mana base if you're not playing a mono colored deck will blow up your budget. Fast lands are getting pretty pricey and some of the check lands are up there as well. Fetch lands are still up there even with enemy fetches being reprinted in MH2. Mirage fetches come into play tapped but aren't nearly expensive because of that. They're pretty slow so not necessarily good depending on the decks you're facing. The best mana rocks are incredibly expensive tbh and you'd need 600+ to get them if you don't have any already. Talismans, signets, arcane signet, lotus petal, lotus bloom, felwar stone, and sol ring are much more budget friendly.

If you go the mono black route the price of cabal coffers has taken a nose dive and is deffo worth the price. With that and things like all the rituals, crypt ghast, and maybe extra planar lens or the higher cmc caged sun, you shouldn't be hurting for mana. What you do with the mana depends on the deck you build though.

Which mana rocks are worth this much?

Mana crypt, mana vault, the moxen, etc. I didn't mean individually though.

Well you can't use moxes in Commander anyway (except for the bad ones). Also, is Mana Vault actually expensive? Last I checked they were like $15.

Mox opal/diamond/chrome aren't bad.

I ate an engineer
    Macro9
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah I would look into proxying lands if that pod is cool with it. Building a mana base if you're not playing a mono colored deck will blow up your budget. Fast lands are getting pretty pricey and some of the check lands are up there as well. Fetch lands are still up there even with enemy fetches being reprinted in MH2. Mirage fetches come into play tapped but aren't nearly expensive because of that. They're pretty slow so not necessarily good depending on the decks you're facing. The best mana rocks are incredibly expensive tbh and you'd need 600+ to get them if you don't have any already. Talismans, signets, arcane signet, lotus petal, lotus bloom, felwar stone, and sol ring are much more budget friendly.

If you go the mono black route the price of cabal coffers has taken a nose dive and is deffo worth the price. With that and things like all the rituals, crypt ghast, and maybe extra planar lens or the higher cmc caged sun, you shouldn't be hurting for mana. What you do with the mana depends on the deck you build though.

Well you can't use moxes in Commander anyway (except for the bad ones). Also, is Mana Vault actually expensive? Last I checked they were like $15.

Chrome mox, amber mox, and mox opal are legal in commander and not bad all things considered. Mana vault was a 50 plus card last I looked.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Frankly, I'm not sure I want to force dragons by playing Prisimari, but I'm not sure what else can be subbed in for Bonecrusher.
    Short of trying Orvar Giants and etbs again, now that there's a one mana hexproof.

gonna leave the conspiracy stuff be for now, I'm done with that and try to help with the deckbuilding question as that's more fun.

Obviously nothing is going to fully replace Bonecrusher, there's a reason it was in basically every single deck that had red mana for the past 2 years.

In terms of options to fill the void as much as possible... there's not much. Dragon's Fire isn't going to be any more than 3 damage in a Giants deck. Going to 3 mana you've got a few more options, Prismari Command doesn't kill a lot of things you really need to right now, especially against Mono Green and Dragons. Heated Debate's "can't be countered" could be good against Goldspans, but doesn't do enough to kill Iymrakuls. Squash might be okay in a Giants deck but probably not.

The one other option I might consider though is Burning Hands. At worst it's Stomp, but against Mono-Green (which is one of the top decks right now) it will take out Werewolf Pack Leader, Old Growth Troll, Kazandu Mammoth, etc for 2 mana

The big problem is Bonecrusher filled like three roles in the deck as early removal/early giant/and a giant body, so I've gone Prisimari as a poor substitute for now, as it does ramp and sort of early removal.

Already got squash in the deck too.

milski wrote: »

Mox opal/diamond/chrome aren't bad.

Opal is good in some decks, and worse than medium in most. Chrome is pretty damn bad to draw after turn 2 or 3, but reasonable on turn 1 if your deck is laser focused and needs mana more than cards. Diamond is a bit in that camp, except there are a lot of ways to get a land back out of the bin, so the card disadvantage is easily recuperated.

I'd actually say in Commander specifically, Amber is probably better in a lot of decks than those three, and is also quite a bit cheaper.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Also mtggoldfish has a ton of articles for budget commander decks. Many of them include 25$, 50$, and 100$ versions of the featured decks.
    Here are some https://mtggoldfish.com/series/budget-commander

Ketar
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Speaking from experience, the Prismari pre-con can be fun if you don't mind taking some early hits to do some big plays later on.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Kwoaru
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    interesting my closest lgs/one i used to work at just announced their schedule coming out of lockdown - and they're doing a rotating FNM format, which i generally was an advocate against when i was there for a lot of reasons including an assumption that people pay more attention to your schedule than they do and hurting the less tuned in/people who just wanna go to fnm after work and not think about it, etc... BUT! it includes legacy and pauper, which we never got to play before. hopefully the weekly legacy crowd from another local shop helps that get going and i honestly don't know how pauper will go, we haven't had a shop keep it going for more than a few months ever but i'm down to try.

I think their assumption is reasonable that people haven't been actively building standard decks for a year and even if the rotation doesn't work long term it helps build an understanding of the wants of the local players

Ketar
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Thanks, everyone. I ordered the Kaldheim elf deck based on what folks were saying, and I have some cards that I think would slot in decently to bump it up a little bit.

Going to start on a Selesnya enchantment deck too, I think. I have a lot of solid pieces already and pricing looks good for others that I would want to fill it out. I won't be grabbing anything like Replenish but I suppose it's nice to have some long-term goals if Commander does become a regular thing for me.

MatevVyolynce
    edited July 2021
    There are a couple (maybe only one?) completely reasonable Replenish alternatives.

Why can't I link images today? Have I gone and lost all my brains?

Pinfeldorf on
    Ketar
    There's also resurgent belief from modern horizons 2.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    KetarVyolynce
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There are a couple (maybe only one?) completely reasonable Replenish alternatives.

Why can't I link images today? Have I gone and lost all my brains?

I think the way that site renders images they're not registering as actual images.

I was looking up the cost of resurgent belief and saw the prices on modern horizons 2 stuff. Pretty pretty nice. Chatterfang is right around 5 for the vanilla version. Foil etched retro frame is around 8. The prices on most of the cards are crazy low.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Yeah ragavan is sucking up all the value. Even the fetch prices are half what they were two months ago

Macro9
    I had put Open the Vaults in a small order I placed earlier since it was just over $2. Resurgent Belief is a definite possibility as well given how cheap it is, thanks.

I've got one more box of cards in the basement somewhere that I need to dig out. I know I have a Mana Vault in there, and I think a few Force of Wills, and given how many other useful cards I pulled from the box I had out there should be some more goodies. Just hopefully more that I can actually use - I pulled Balance and Limited Resources out to do something with, only to find they're both banned. But that's probably just saving me from my own worst tendencies - getting invited back to play again would be nice.

Macro9Vyolynce
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone. I ordered the Kaldheim elf deck based on what folks were saying, and I have some cards that I think would slot in decently to bump it up a little bit.

Going to start on a Selesnya enchantment deck too, I think. I have a lot of solid pieces already and pricing looks good for others that I would want to fill it out. I won't be grabbing anything like Replenish but I suppose it's nice to have some long-term goals if Commander does become a regular thing for me.

If you're willing to extend that into Bant (add blue) the Estrid the Masked precon from a few years back has a lot of fun stuff.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Ketar
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    oop commander precons are usually pretty expensive though

VyolynceKwoaru
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    oop commander precons are usually pretty expensive though

*checks Amazon

Holy shit. Yeah just grab singles.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I was looking at preordering some of the AFR commander decks and I almost had a figurative heart attack. I'm pretty sure they are MUCH more expensive than previous commander precons.

Some of the older ones are worth the money though. The Ikoria commander precon that comes with deflecting swat sure is. That card alone goes for about $30.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hmm

this is making me think about picking up the kaldheim spirits and strixhaven witherbloom precons. Both would be getting modified a bunch, the commander for the witherbloom one is trash but I love the alternate commander in the deck and would love to revise the deck around that. Same with the Azorious one, the default commander is better at least, but I want to try to do something with the uncommon Owl in the deck instead

https://scryfall.com/card/c21/5/gyome-master-chef
    https://scryfall.com/card/khm/233/vega-the-watcher

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Recently WotC has been releasing two types of commander precons. One type is the marquee commander release, which tends to only happen once a year (although this year it has happened with both Stryxhaven and AFR. Last year it was just with Ikoria). These decks are usually about $40 (US) each, but the power level of the included cards is rather high for a preconstructed deck. The other type is essentially a replacement for the old, bad planeswalker starter constructed decks. These tend to be about $20 (US), but the total power level of the cards is not as high (usually). The Kaldheim and Zendikar Rising commander decks were of this variety.

Of course, these are just the retail prices. If a deck ends up having a chase card or two, then the prices go up on the secondary market.

Vyolynce
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    hmm

this is making me think about picking up the kaldheim spirits and strixhaven witherbloom precons. Both would be getting modified a bunch, the commander for the witherbloom one is trash but I love the alternate commander in the deck and would love to revise the deck around that. Same with the Azorious one, the default commander is better at least, but I want to try to do something with the uncommon Owl in the deck instead

gyome is an incredible dude and the witherbloom deck is great but imo the u/w kaldheim one is…not great, and Vega was a normal uncommon from the set so I say unless you’re coming from a place of 0, save your money there and buy the singles you’d want from it

UnbrokenEva
    The AFR precons cost the same as the typical yearly precon release, so nothing special there.

WotC has also noted that Commander precons are taking the place of Planeswalker/Standard Precons going forward (Though we'll see how much steam that initiative has) so get used to seeing those with every release. Not 100% if they'll all be Marquee drops like Strixhaven and AFR or if this was an exception and most of them will be like Zendikar and Kaldeheim where they drastically reduce the designed for Commander card count and lower the price tag as a result. Wouldn't be unwelcome if they keep doing meaningful reprints, though I wish they'd kept up the philosophy from the Brawl decks and included at least 1 shockland in Commander decks to crash the prices on at least that part of the manabase

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »
    The AFR precons cost the same as the typical yearly precon release, so nothing special there.

WotC has also noted that Commander precons are taking the place of Planeswalker/Standard Precons going forward (Though we'll see how much steam that initiative has) so get used to seeing those with every release. Not 100% if they'll all be Marquee drops like Strixhaven and AFR or if this was an exception and most of them will be like Zendikar and Kaldeheim where they drastically reduce the designed for Commander card count and lower the price tag as a result. Wouldn't be unwelcome if they keep doing meaningful reprints, though I wish they'd kept up the philosophy from the Brawl decks and included at least 1 shockland in Commander decks to crash the prices on at least that part of the manabase

Ah, ok. Other than an Ikoria, all the precons I've bought have been Kaldheim and Zendikar. Which explains why AFR is more expensive than those.

Ah, ok. Other than an Ikoria, all the precons I've bought have been Kaldheim and Zendikar. Which explains why AFR is more expensive than those.

Yah, Kaldheim and Zendikar are the exceptions/an experiment on WotC's part. Typically Commander decks retail for $30-$40, but this also usually isn't a problem cause the new cards (Which are like ~20% of the deck usually) and reprints outstrip that pricing by a decent margin so it's usually worth at least checking out each new release to see if there's one or two that don't tickle your fancy, especially cause after a couple years, the secondary market pricing kicks in and it becomes a pain to get a hold of if the deck was halfway decent/had any chase cards in it.

Hail Hydra
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hmm

gyome is an incredible dude and the witherbloom deck is great but imo the u/w kaldheim one is…not great, and Vega was a normal uncommon from the set so I say unless you’re coming from a place of 0, save your money there and buy the singles you’d want from it

I saw the kaldheim one for $30 and that seemed reasonable for the convenience of it, but a Vega deck would also need a lot more older cards (I'd want a bunch of adventure, jumpstart, escape, flashback, etc) to really make work and that seems like a lot of effort

edited July 2021
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

If you're willing to extend that into Bant (add blue) the Estrid the Masked precon from a few years back has a lot of fun stuff.

I would love to extend it to Bant and use Tuvasa the Sunlit or Estrid the Masked as the commander, but I can't run a great mana base for it without spending a decent chunk more. I actually have some Mirage fetchlands that would be useful like Flood Plain, but I don't have any dual lands that count as basic land types to really get the most out of them.

I'll probably just go Selesnya initially and see how it goes. If I like how it's playing and it does seem like Commander will become a regular thing for me I can extend it to Bant later on.

Ketar on
    Vyolynce

Yah, Kaldheim and Zendikar are the exceptions/an experiment on WotC's part. Typically Commander decks retail for $30-$40, but this also usually isn't a problem cause the new cards (Which are like ~20% of the deck usually) and reprints outstrip that pricing by a decent margin so it's usually worth at least checking out each new release to see if there's one or two that don't tickle your fancy, especially cause after a couple years, the secondary market pricing kicks in and it becomes a pain to get a hold of if the deck was halfway decent/had any chase cards in it.

I've toyed with putting together a vampire commander deck and the top commander is the one from a precon from 2017-2018ish. He now goes for $50 or so a pop, alone. And that's for moderately played condition.

edited July 2021

I've toyed with putting together a vampire commander deck and the top commander is the one from a precon from 2017-2018ish. He now goes for $50 or so a pop, alone. And that's for moderately played condition.

Yah, all those tribal decks are silly expensive cause they had some busto design. Edgar is a top flight commander, but honestly, because of that he feels overplayed. I'd say don't worry about going full Mardu and find a different vamp to headline, like Olivia or Elenda

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Vyolynce

Yah, all those tribal decks are silly expensive cause they had some busto design. Edgar is a top flight commander, but honestly, because of that he feels overplayed. I'd say don't worry about going full Mardu and find a different vamp to headline, like Olivia or Elenda

Hmm... I really like playing Orzhov, so Elenda looks perfect. Though I think my next commander deck I'll be putting together will be Rakdos, The Showstopper. I found a few budget/semi-budget chaos decks using him that will just randomly ruin anyone and everyone's day that look really fun.

Matev
    edited July 2021
    I saw people recently bujying up those dumbass walmart cubes and getting old planeswalker decks in them. Seeing someone get the Markov deck for super cheap was pretty nutty.
    hmm

I kind of liked the idea of of Ranar and upgraded his deck. I went all in on the foretell cards and added some stuff from my Brago deck I built for him. It was fun for a couple games but I ended taking it apart because I'd rather just run Brago. I built my lady a deck around Gyome because she loves the master chef for some reason and it's not bad. I recently added tireless provisioner and Academy Manufacturer to the deck and that's been a boon to it. She got pretty happy the one time an exquisite blood resolved. The rest of us were much less happy though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    UnbrokenEvaVyolynce

Hmm... I really like playing Orzhov, so Elenda looks perfect. Though I think my next commander deck I'll be putting together will be Rakdos, The Showstopper. I found a few budget/semi-budget chaos decks using him that will just randomly ruin anyone and everyone's day that look really fun.

I should see about updating my MurderCircus deck list with the new bits and see if I can inject some of the new chaos in.

Hail Hydra
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    You should just proxy expensive shit for your commander deck imo

Especially weird crap they never reprint

X22wmuF.jpg
    UnbrokenEvaMunkus BeaverMacro9NeveronPolaritieElldrenGreen
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if your playgroup cares more about having The Real Cards, then they simply value capitalism in disgusting ways

Macro9LucedesNeveronStyrofoam Sammichturtleant
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    You should just proxy expensive shit for your commander deck imo

Especially weird crap they never reprint

I don't like using proxys of the power nine because - to be frank - I don't want to play against anyone using the power nine. That indicates to me that the game of commander I'm about to play proooooooobably isn't fun.

Except timetwister, they can use that.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    KalTorakLucedes
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Is the joke that the rest of the Power 9 is all banned in Commander?

I ate an engineer
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2021
    milski wrote: »
    Is the joke that the rest of the Power 9 is all banned in Commander?

I mean I play casual commander, so I wasn't aware of what was really on the banlist. And someone had brought up the moxen.

I just mean if someone's proxying the moxen then I don't really wanna play em

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    Well, power 9 (except for Timetwister) are banned in Commander anyway, so.

I had a friend build a paper copy of the mtgo vintage cube circa whenever they did it and a lot of the cards were real and they just got neat proxies of the power and duals and some other big things. Then another friend went a step beyond that and got an entire cube in proxy. No one should care about the "authenticity" of game pieces when playing games with their friends .

Munkus BeaverXeddicusGreen
This discussion has been closed.