As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Some call it bootlegging. Some call it racketeering. I call it Magic.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I actually just looked up the rule for enchant world cards for the first time as I had no idea what rules they implied, didn't realize they were supposed to be like legendary cards where you can only have one world enchantment out at once in a game

Oh man

You ever want a headache, look at how priority was handled before the stack.

I keep this page bookmarked for just such a comment.
    Neveron wrote: »

As I understand it, the idea is that they represent the current location of the player vs. player wizard's duel? For a similar card type in another game, the Stadiums from the Pokemon TCG are basically identical in how they work.

Or in the same game, Planechase.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Ivan HungerMunkus BeaverGreen
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Basically, pre-sixth edition, pretend they had the stack as we do. Once players had cast their spells and stacked shit up and everyone passed priority, all spells resolved sequentially.

Except SBEs weren't checked until everything had finished resolving, and no players gained priority until everything was done. So if I Giant Growthed my Llanowar Elf, Bolting it in response did nothing.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    so it was a first-in-first-out stack instead of a first-in-last-out stack?

wait how did counterspell work then
    were there special rules for interrupts? I suppose that's why they weren't instants back then

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Basically, pre-sixth edition, pretend they had the stack as we do. Once players had cast their spells and stacked shit up and everyone passed priority, all spells resolved sequentially.

Except SBEs weren't checked until everything had finished resolving, and no players gained priority until everything was done. So if I Giant Growthed my Llanowar Elf, Bolting it in response did nothing.

don't forget damage also went on the stack

so it was a first-in-first-out stack instead of a first-in-last-out stack?

wait how did counterspell work then
    were there special rules for interrupts? I suppose that's why they weren't instants back then

Yeah interrupts resolved first. Also for a brief period of time we had spells with the Mana Source type which were even faster than interrupts. I think a grand total of 3 cards ever had that typeline, though.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I loved the old rules for the simple reason we once had a 3vs3 game where a massive fireball was cast, which was then Forked 7 times.

I then counterspelled the original fireball.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That still works now though

I ate an engineer
    Shadowen
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    That still works now though
    Yeah, I suppose so.

I swear Fork got limited to one per deck at some point, but yeah, current rules allows that.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I went to a local store tonight and played Commander for the first time. It was also my first time playing paper Magic in 20 years. Took the Kaldheim elf precon and mixed in 15 or so of my cards to try to power it up a little. Got the last spot in a pod and thankfully everyone was cool about switching to lower powered decks than what they'd been planning to play with. Lower powered being a Queen Marchesa knight tribal deck, a Yarok the Desecrated deck, and a monoblue kraken/octopus/whatever deck full of "return all creatures/permanents" type cards.

I was chipping away with forestwalking elves and my commander with menace and mostly being ignored because of all of the much scarier shit my opponents were playing. Got boardwiped by that red spell that does 13 dmg to all creatures, twice. Had all my creatures returned to my hand three times. Lost so many brave elf warrior tokens along the way. Meanwhile the Yarok guy is getting 2x Field of the Dead triggers and is able to keep recasting creatures like Ulvenwald Hydra each time it gets bounced by the blue player (and that's double triggering every time) and ends up with like 25 lands on the board, and stealing all of the best creatures with a Roil Elemental that just keeps double triggering on each landfall. The blue player is putting out all of these crazy huge sea monsters that can only be blocked by other sea monsters, and Queen Marchesa is making deathtouch tokens...and I manage to get enough elves back on the board after getting everything bounced the second time that when I play Skemfar Shadowsage and follow it up immediately with Shaman of the Pack it eliminates two opponents and gets down to just me and the blue player (with me at 28 and him at 8). He bounces all my green creatures leaving me with only 2 black elves on the board and uses Mirage Mirror to copy whatever giant beast he had out and swing for 16. Then he plays Mana Breach and uses Mirage Mirror to copy it. 9 lands was enough for me to swing for 3, play my 2 cheapest elves, and still have enough lands left to drop Shaman of the Pack and finish him off. That was one of the most satisfying game experiences I've had in a long time.

And then they all pulled out more powerful decks and I got to sit and watch cool things happen while I got mana screwed until it was too late to be much of a factor. Still managed to build a board that was 1 turn from being able to wipe out everyone with the End-Raze Forerunners in my hand, but the blue player was now playing a much better stax deck that played Demonic and Vampiric Tutors on the same turn to get both pieces of their combo and that was that. Getting to draw like 20 extra cards from Rhystic Study is real good, go figure.

Anyway, that Kaldheim elf deck is indeed surprisingly playable for a precon. Thank you to everyone who recommended it. I only ever got to play a few of the cards I swapped in, so it was mainly doing its own thing. Tonight was a blast and I really needed it.

admanbMacro9MatevArmorocSnicketysnicknwrabeVyolynceZeroCowjgeisDanHibikiBoomerAang SquadAntoshkaE.Coyotenever dieElbasunu
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    That's actually good to know. I only have one edh deck left but I've been literally tinkering in it since I started playing (the commander is the first foil rare I ever opened) it has at times been entirely too mean and I've thought about trying to play that format some at the lgs now that people might exist again but worried about power imbalance. A solid "good precon" second option might be a nice thing to have around if I do

initiatefailure on
    Another option is to just have a 10-20 card "sideboard" that is your most powerful cards, and bring those in if the table seems to want a higher-powered game.

MatevLucedes
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Woo saltpost! So I got infinite combo'd in standard (Lurking Roper + Porcuparrot + lifelink (Shadowspear)), so I decided that was my cue to try my hand at a Brainstorm-less Historic with Selesnya Company. But they only pit me against Life Gain, which absolutely hard-counters me, no matter what, even if they draw twenty lands, and against Elves, almost as bad.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    luybuglxaj8z.jpg

I was hooting when the Goblin Guide trigger resolved. Truly living the dream with Ragavan in Vintage Cube.

VyolynceShadowenBoomerAang SquadmilskiAntoshkaastrobstrdnever die
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    So an article that was dated for the 26th was published early, and Arena is getting another jumpstart set. archive link
    Jumpstart: Historic Horizons arrives August 12 exclusively on MTG Arena, and with it comes hundreds of cards from Modern Horizons, Modern Horizons 2, and more—including 31 new-to-Magic cards you'll only find in this digital release.
    If you're familiar with the original Jumpstart release on MTG Arena, you know you select from themed packets to build a deck for play. Jumpstart: Historic Horizons ups the fun by introducing an exciting new dynamic to your packet picking and deckbuilding: now, select card slots in each packet have a chance to be filled with alternate cards that fit the packet theme. This means more card possibilities in each pack, and more variety for your decks every time you play.

Neat!

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That's a really cool way to get some of those cards into Arena. It also makes Historic even more of a bizarre amalgamation of a format than it already was.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    MH Cards, the Jumpstart format, sweet! Only thing that has me worried is the new Arena-Exclusive cards.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what's even the point of jumpstart without adding alt-art lands to your account tch

Macro9MatevLucedes
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Thank god I've been hoarding my gold like some greedy ass dragon. Now to wonder what doesn't make it in. I'm hoping Urza and Ragavan. Not that I'd be mad if wotc let them slide in.

What are the odds that the enemy fetches and/or prismatic vista make it in? Could that be why they only suspended brainstorm.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited July 2021
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Thank god I've been hoarding my gold like some greedy ass dragon. Now to wonder what doesn't make it in. I'm hoping Urza and Ragavan. Not that I'd be mad if wotc let them slide in.

What are the odds that the enemy fetches and/or prismatic vista make it in? Could that be why they only suspended brainstorm.

Adding fetches would only make Brainstorm more powerful.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »

Adding fetches would only make Brainstorm more powerful.

Oh I know. I was trying to make a dumb joke but I forgot I'm not very funny.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    One one hand, adding hundreds of cards from a high-powered set might be risky. On the other hand, Modern Horizons is like, 90% cool-ass shit. I just wonder if we'll get multicolored Jumpstart packs this time. I love those gold cards!

One one hand, adding hundreds of cards from a high-powered set might be risky. On the other hand, Modern Horizons is like, 90% cool-ass shit. I just wonder if we'll get multicolored Jumpstart packs this time. I love those gold cards!

Unlikely. The nature of Jumpstart makes it difficult to balance manabases for multicolored packs.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

Unlikely. The nature of Jumpstart makes it difficult to balance manabases for multicolored packs.

I unno, based the article, seems like they're be doing it on the fly with this new digital set.

Also, the 5 color half pack is considered one of the top tier picks when it comes to playing original recipe Jumpstart, so ymmv

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    …there was a 5-color jumpstart pack?

Lucedes
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Yes, and it wasn't slivers.

So who cares.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    Matev
    Whippy wrote: »

The Rainbow pack, yeah. Came with Maelstrom Archangel, Chamber Sentry and Fusion Elemental.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Ketar wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »

The Rainbow pack, yeah. Came with Maelstrom Archangel, Chamber Sentry and Fusion Elemental.

I have been playing magic the gathering since nineteen dickety five and have never once seen these cards

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

I unno, based the article, seems like they're be doing it on the fly with this new digital set.

Also, the 5 color half pack is considered one of the top tier picks when it comes to playing original recipe Jumpstart, so ymmv

Rainbow was rubbish.

Macro9Vyolynce
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    6-3 with this RG deck. Lost one game to a very aggressive RB deck and two games to mana screw ( fun :rotate: ). The six wins weren't even close. Just steam-rolled people. I don't draft, or even play much anymore, but I had one of those free draft tokens and enjoyed this format for the one draft I'll do.
    nchy401fi4pj.png
    dza77asv45eh.png

BreakfastPM on
    Elbasunu
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    rainbow was awesome because you could combine it with the Well-Read packet and get Reading Rainbow.

i did this, it was me, no regrets

discriderGreenMatevArmoroc
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Mark Rosewater wrote:
    The digital only cards only work on digital. They aren’t cards we can make in paper. Magic is a game of many formats and different formats use different cards.

So they have no plans on putting the 31 new cards on paper. I assume they want to differentiate Historic from being just "pioneer plus" down the line.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Digital only also opens up a lot of design space.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Kevin CristRanlinVyolynce
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    For example, consider the Astral cards from Microprose's Magic: the Gathering a.k.a. Shandalar.

cja3ciyey5jt.png

That's X random instants, interrupts, or IIRC activated abilities. That's unprintable.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    that kind of effect is the sort of thing they really leaned into in hearthstone
    I kinda think there's a lot of stuff you can do only in a video game but that doesn't mean you SHOULD do it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Munkus BeaverVyolynceZeroCowLucedesEriktheVikingGamerGreenturtleantBreakfastPMDocshiftyElbasunu
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I'm already not a fan of the dice roll mechanic.

Randomness, even if it's still somewhat controlled, is one of the things I loathed about Hearthstone.

Styrofoam SammichBreakfastPMElbasunu
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I'm already not a fan of the dice roll mechanic.

Randomness, even if it's still somewhat controlled, is one of the things I loathed about Hearthstone.

i liked the limited-choices mechanic in hearthstone, it worked really well. like it does in magic!
    totally random cards sucked, yeah, but also they existed because design space? what design space?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    IMO the card game Eternal is a better example of Good digital-only effects. There's a lot of things you can't do in Magic - or are at least incredibly difficult to do - just because of their memory cost. Miracle is an example of a mechanic that probably exists in a digital-only space for them now.

But yeah for example a mechanic in Eternal that really only works in Digital is Revenge, it's a very basic "Shuffle me back into your deck when I die", but it only works the first time the creature dies. There's no way to do that in physical because there's no way to mark that creature as the same creature. Another example: Warcry: "When I attack, give the top creature of your deck a +1/+1 counter". Wholly unverifiable while maintaining hidden information in paper.

NeurotikaUnbrokenEva
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t play, so sorry for butting in, but did they do a Land called Keep on the Borderlands for this set? It’s very important.

I don’t play, so sorry for butting in, but did they do a Land called Keep on the Borderlands for this set? It’s very important.

They did not.

Matev
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Disgusting.

ElldrenMatevShadowenLucedes
This discussion has been closed.