As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Mega Man Custom: GAME OVER Wily Victory

2456739

Posts

  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Signup!
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    If you are ever curious to try them, I would recommend
    • Mega Man 2 if you want to play vintage 2D platformer fun
    • Mega Man 9 or 10 if you want vintage play & aesthetics, but with some more modern design sensibility (like an indie 'throwback' title ala Shovel Knight)
    • Mega Man 11 if you want a modern version of the classic series

    Outside the main ("Classic") series, there's the following spin-off series
    • Mega Man X if you want a faster moving game with bigger levels, with secrets to search for, and some changes based on the order you complete them in, also a darker story than classic (where classic is basically Astro Boy meets Kikaider, X is more like Blade Runner but anime robots instead of genetically-designed people grown in artificial wombs)
    • Mega Man Legends if you want to play Capcom's take on a 3D Zelda, with cartoony robots and a sense of humor. They're super fun but a lot of MM fans bounced off them pretty hard because it's such a change in gameplay, so you'll get wildly divergent word of mouth. Also make sure it's the Playstation versions, IIRC the N64 port was pretty rough.
    • Mega Man Zero if you want to play 2D Metroid, but with a darker & super-anime take on a Mega Man narrative (like X but more-so).
    • Mega Man ZX if you want MMZ, but a lighter tone.
    • Mega Man EXE if you want the Mega Man version of Pokemon (although Digimon would be the more accurate analogy since the mons exist in a virtual world)
    • Mega Man Starforce, but I don't know anything about this one

    Legends on PS1 is the way to go, but it's really really really fucking expensive now. The N64 version is absolute terribad bullshit.

    2 gets a lot of love, but it's also got its fair share of fucking bullshit moments (the force beams in Quickman, the Buebeam Trap, Metal Blade pretty much being an overpowered pile of crap that overshadows every other weapon, some really really good weapons while others just suck). I'd actually say people ought to start with 3, and move down to 2 if they feel they need more of a challenge.

    The X series is also really really good, but it features a dip in quality in the middle of the series- 1, 2, and 3 were really good, 4 and 5 were a downward trend, 6 and 7 just plain blew, but 8 was better.

    Lots of them are out on Steam -

    Megaman Legacy Collection - contains the NES games (1 - 6)
    Megaman Legacy Collection 2 - contains 7 - 10
    Mega Man 11
    Megaman X Legacy Collection - contains X1 - X4
    Megaman X Legacy Collection 2 - contains X5 - X8
    Megaman Zero/ZX Legacy Collection - contains Megaman Zero 1 - 4, ZX, ZX Advent

    There's also the Battle Network series (GBA/DS/3DS exclusive), with more of a "robots as internet browsers blowing up computer viruses and cyber-terrorists". Starforce is like that, but I've never played a Star Force game...

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    H3Knuckleskime
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The Battle Network titles are pretty good but on the slow side as far as gameplay.

    I have the DS collection of the old ones and that's a solid purchase.

    2 is definitely the overall best of the first 4; 3 and 4 are pretty good but somehow not as tightly put together. 1 is a good game but quite unforgiving on the platforming.

    I recommend a bunch of the OST and several of the ocremix treatments, if that's still up.

    Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

    38thDoeH3Knuckles
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I have to knock a ton of points off of 3 for not letting you cheat in the fight with the yellow devil. I *hate* that guy. Also, disappearing/reappearing blocks in magnet man stage are obnoxious. Well they are obnoxious everywhere actually but magnet man makes you deal with them, unless you don't do him first which feels crazy to me.

    What's the BueBeam trap?

    38thDoe on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I have to knock a ton of points off of 3 for not letting you cheat in the fight with the yellow devil. I *hate* that guy. Also, disappearing/reappearing blocks in magnet man stage are obnoxious. Well they are obnoxious everywhere actually but magnet man makes you deal with them, unless you don't do him first which feels crazy to me.

    What's the BueBeam trap?

    Flash Man's stage, probably?

    Nope, remembered wrong. The big blue lasers, whichever stage they're in, is my guess.

    Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming Dam Return Shield doesn't prevent the target from taking damage?

    The use of "reflect" in the ability makes it seem like it would, but I'm guessing no

  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Signup!
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    If you are ever curious to try them, I would recommend
    • Mega Man 2 if you want to play vintage 2D platformer fun
    • Mega Man 9 or 10 if you want vintage play & aesthetics, but with some more modern design sensibility (like an indie 'throwback' title ala Shovel Knight)
    • Mega Man 11 if you want a modern version of the classic series

    Outside the main ("Classic") series, there's the following spin-off series
    • Mega Man X if you want a faster moving game with bigger levels, with secrets to search for, and some changes based on the order you complete them in, also a darker story than classic (where classic is basically Astro Boy meets Kikaider, X is more like Blade Runner but anime robots instead of genetically-designed people grown in artificial wombs)
    • Mega Man Legends if you want to play Capcom's take on a 3D Zelda, with cartoony robots and a sense of humor. They're super fun but a lot of MM fans bounced off them pretty hard because it's such a change in gameplay, so you'll get wildly divergent word of mouth. Also make sure it's the Playstation versions, IIRC the N64 port was pretty rough.
    • Mega Man Zero if you want to play 2D Metroid, but with a darker & super-anime take on a Mega Man narrative (like X but more-so).
    • Mega Man ZX if you want MMZ, but a lighter tone.
    • Mega Man EXE if you want the Mega Man version of Pokemon (although Digimon would be the more accurate analogy since the mons exist in a virtual world)
    • Mega Man Starforce, but I don't know anything about this one

    Legends on PS1 is the way to go, but it's really really really fucking expensive now. The N64 version is absolute terribad bullshit.

    2 gets a lot of love, but it's also got its fair share of fucking bullshit moments (the force beams in Quickman, the Buebeam Trap, Metal Blade pretty much being an overpowered pile of crap that overshadows every other weapon, some really really good weapons while others just suck). I'd actually say people ought to start with 3, and move down to 2 if they feel they need more of a challenge.

    The X series is also really really good, but it features a dip in quality in the middle of the series- 1, 2, and 3 were really good, 4 and 5 were a downward trend, 6 and 7 just plain blew, but 8 was better.

    Lots of them are out on Steam -

    Megaman Legacy Collection - contains the NES games (1 - 6)
    Megaman Legacy Collection 2 - contains 7 - 10
    Mega Man 11
    Megaman X Legacy Collection - contains X1 - X4
    Megaman X Legacy Collection 2 - contains X5 - X8
    Megaman Zero/ZX Legacy Collection - contains Megaman Zero 1 - 4, ZX, ZX Advent

    There's also the Battle Network series (GBA/DS/3DS exclusive), with more of a "robots as internet browsers blowing up computer viruses and cyber-terrorists". Starforce is like that, but I've never played a Star Force game...

    Legends 1 & 2 were on the Sony store as digital downloads for Playstation 3, so I'd kind of assumed you'd be able to get them somewhere for more modern systems. Sorry if I was mistaken.

    I think the Quick Man stage's death beams are a neat choice. You can either git gud and learn to get through naturally, or cheese it with Flash Man's time stopper (but then you have to fight Quick Man fair and square, whereas if you can hold onto the Time Stopper it knocks half his life off right away). The walled beam cannon boss room (Boobeam trap) in Skull Castle does suck because there's no way to clear it without a full meter of Crash Bomber, and there are incorrect ways of getting to the cannons that will cause you to run out of ammo before you get them all. There are definitely better weapons to use for a lot of the boss fights than Metal Blade, but it is silly that it both completely obsoletes your main gun for regular enemies and has such good ammo economy that you'll almost always get refills before it runs out.

    Personally, I like MM3, but felt like it was a step down from 2. I haven't played 4-6 recently enough to have a strong opinion on them.

    Oh, right. Mega Man Battle Network is the EXE series' English name. I forgot that (the character is Mega Man EXE though, right?).
    Auralynx wrote: »
    The Battle Network titles are pretty good but on the slow side as far as gameplay.

    I have the DS collection of the old ones and that's a solid purchase.

    2 is definitely the overall best of the first 4; 3 and 4 are pretty good but somehow not as tightly put together. 1 is a good game but quite unforgiving on the platforming.

    I recommend a bunch of the OST and several of the ocremix treatments, if that's still up.

    Definitely agree about the soundtracks, if you like retro game music, Mega Man has some fantastic tracks. I'm not a huge fan of OCRemix, but Passing of the Blue Crown is pretty amazing:

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Wildcat
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    super fighting robot, MEGAMAN

    H3KnucklesEndless_Serpents
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Perfect timing for one of these actually

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'm assuming Dam Return Shield doesn't prevent the target from taking damage?

    The use of "reflect" in the ability makes it seem like it would, but I'm guessing no

    Shield mechanics / stacking breakdown:
    Damage Reduction: Multiple applications stack multiplicatively. For example, two damage reduction shields will block 75% of damage from all attacks. Fractional damage is rounded up.
    Damage Guard (Nullification): Multiple applications block multiple attacks, one per application.
    Damage Return (Revenge): Target of attacks still sustain damage after other shields apply their effects. Only sustained damage is reflected. Multiple applications only stack their +1 additions and do not multiply the base damage.

    4463rwiq7r47.png
    ObiFett
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I have to knock a ton of points off of 3 for not letting you cheat in the fight with the yellow devil. I *hate* that guy. Also, disappearing/reappearing blocks in magnet man stage are obnoxious. Well they are obnoxious everywhere actually but magnet man makes you deal with them, unless you don't do him first which feels crazy to me.

    What's the BueBeam trap?

    Buebeam (or Boobeam) is the boss of Wily Stage 4 in Megaman 2- it's a puzzle boss that requires a full energy tank of Crash Bomb and has one particular solution to kill the boss without running out of energy. One misfired bomb means the only thing you can do is to let yourself die and hope you can grind up enough weapon energy off stage enemies to refill it- or lose all your lives and refill your Crash Bomb that way.

    If you really suck at the Yellow Devil fight, get the password to the Skull Castle levels, hit continue, and enter it- and add in a red dot in space C4. That parks you at Skull Castle I with nine saved E-Tanks and you can just facetank the thing with the Hard Knuckle, or use the Rush Jet to hover above it while it flies across the room... even though its hitboxes are just absolutely horrible to figure out as it bounces across the screen.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    sign

    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    3cl1ps3H3KnucklesLucedes
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I love that song. Haven't listened to it in quite a while.

    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    InfidelJayKaos
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My exes will tell you I make an excellent bot.

    Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Wildcat
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !I wanna be the guy

    OrokosPA.png
    Lucedes
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    !I wanna be the guy

    too bad, you're going to be a robot in this game (i assume)

    H3Knuckles
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I will sign up to become as gods

    wait, I think that's the wrong robit game

    H3KnucklesLucedesWildcat
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    !Signup SpectreMan

    The beloved Megaman robot boss.

    H3KnucklesLucedes
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Also Ive fixed this for you:

    1Zob9a9.png

    Fire Burns Guts
    Fire Melts Metal
    Fire Incinerates Wood
    Fire Evaporates Water
    You can fight Fire with Fire


    So Fire is basically The Rock of this game.

    3cl1ps3Wildcat
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I know we're not there yet, but should we submit multiple Mans we might be so you can shuffle elements?

    kshu0oba7xnr.png

  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I know we're not there yet, but should we submit multiple Mans we might be so you can shuffle elements?

    Since not everyone here has played a Mega Man, I feel it should be pointed out that female robot masters are a canonical option:
    ialjzm0jzw3k.jpg

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    AuralynxWildcat
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    !I wanna be the guy

    too bad, you're going to be a robot in this game (i assume)

    I think robots can be guys

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I know we're not there yet, but should we submit multiple Mans we might be so you can shuffle elements?

    No, one robot per player and we will hope for the best.

    kimeH3Knuckles
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I know we're not there yet, but should we submit multiple Mans we might be so you can shuffle elements?

    No, one robot per player and we will hope for the best.

    NGL, I was mostly just having fun trying to come up with un-used Robot Master names.

    kshu0oba7xnr.png

  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    !signup

    PSN SeGaTai
    WildcatVirgil_Leads_YouH3KnucklesAuralynxkime
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    !Signup

    Man it's been awhile.

    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    WildcatBedlamVirgil_Leads_YouH3KnucklesAuralynxkime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I don’t know how to play this game but I want to be Snake Man.

    Endless_Serpents on
    H3KnucklesWildcatVirgil_Leads_YouGizzykime
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I volunteer to !reserve.

    H3KnucklesWildcatVirgil_Leads_You
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think Amazing Cultivation Sim has broken my idea of element interaction

    VayBJ4e.png
    38thDoe
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you'd like to be removed from this list let me know.
    where is the subscribe button

    38thDoeGizzy
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i miss some of those names more than i thought

    Wildcat
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Status update: I'd love to get one more, but it might not be in the cards. Work has been unusually busy today the plan is to get roles and robot creator out this afternoon but it might not be possible until tonight. You will have at least a day to plot before the game starts.

    H3KnucklesLucedes
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I don’t know how to play this game but I want to be Snake Man.
    @Endless_Serpents
    The game is something of a social deduction game. If you don't feel like socially deducting things you can also blast them to death to find out. If you have any questions just ask, this group is pretty friendly. Thanks for giving it a try.

    kimeEndless_SerpentsH3KnucklesLucedesJPantsWildcatMamaWolf
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    We're all very friendly here, just PM someone your role and abilities and they'll help you out!

    OrokosPA.png
    AustinP002738thDoekime3cl1ps3JPantsGizzyWildcat
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    We're all very friendly here, just PM someone your role and abilities and they'll help you out!

    PM me first, I'll make sure it's OK to share with others

    ;)

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Don't PM them, PM me! I'm the only one you can trust.

    kimeLucedes
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I have total confidence ES will figure this out.

    kshu0oba7xnr.png

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm not going to lie to you. Don't PM Kime. It only ends in pain.

    kimeWildcat
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Don't PM Kime. It only ends in scripted mafia conversations.

    OrokosPA.png
    kimeAustinP0027Auralynx3cl1ps3Wildcat
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I still have the mafia discord open from 38th's Hollow Knight game where Kime was mafia and in an attack group with me, basically handing me a mafia death.

    Not grudge-worthy, but still a little bitter.

    kimeInfidel
Sign In or Register to comment.