As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Olympics is happening innit

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's cool when there are huge protests saying the Olympics shouldn't happen and there are literally no one allowed to watch the games in person and even some Japanese officials are like "maybe we shouldn't do this" and the IOC is like "this is happening, you literally cannot cancel this without our permission."

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    In nice athlete news

A few of the sports have happened already, including a Canada vs Japan soccer game, and the first ever openly out trans athlete played at the Olympics! Their name is Quinn, click through for their very good thoughts on the experience

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I will tune in for the hakuho ceremony because the man has fucking earned it

That's it

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is any place keeping a running tally of athletes robbed by incompetent or corrupt officiating?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the actual olympics i'm not too keen on rn but this is still the best sports anime i've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixE1a6_l7e4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdxwj4422Q

them not being playable in the last mario&sonic game is the biggest missed opportunity

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The olympics suck ass, and also I'm probably going to binge watch every bit of the men's gymnastics qualifiers I can find streaming somewhere.

This world is one of contrasts.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Actual Fun Fact: I just learned that developing typhoons are called "台風のたまご" AKA "Typhoon Egg"
    https://tenki.jp/forecaster/keiko_mochizuki/2021/07/23/13337.html

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

Actual Fun Fact: I just learned that developing typhoons are called "台風のたまご" AKA "Typhoon Egg"
    https://tenki.jp/forecaster/keiko_mochizuki/2021/07/23/13337.html

https://youtu.be/NXfC16rv_fs

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    My main Olympic opinion (aside from the obvious “not this year, and certainly not there”) is that if anything happens to Sky Brown I’m gonna fuckin riot
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Brown

She just came back from fracturing her skull last May, and while I completely understand why she wants so badly to compete, especially in Japan, I am deeply unsure if her parents should have allowed her to go

for what it's worth she just won gold at the X-Games, so she's doing ok apparently, but the concern is fair.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    also to echo several sentiments: the olympics are literally my single favourite thing that humanity has created, and also absolutely horrifically bad, simultaneously.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My happiest Olympic moment was when I lived in Boston and the city lost their bid to host.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My happiest Olympic moment was when I lived in Boston and the city lost their bid to host.

I think we all breathed a gigantic sigh of relief at that. Literally not a single person I know who lives here was not horrified by the very idea of it.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Imagine an Olympics in Boston. During the last leg of the 1000 meter relay, 25,000 batteries are simultaneously whipped toward the runners.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Imagine an Olympics in Boston. During the last leg of the 1000 meter relay, 25,000 batteries are simultaneously whipped toward the runners.

That was Philadelphia!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Yeah in Boston they just hurl racial slurs at athletes

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Tony Hawk is in Tokyo as a commentator for the inaugural Olympic skateboard competition.

So he blitzed the course.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My happiest Olympic moment was watching Korean women's curling team win silver at Pyongchang from a bar in Seoul in 2018. We all lost our frickin' minds.

Kim Eunjung is the hero none of us deserve (also don't google it unless you wanna get depressed all over again, the coaches all were forced to quit (yay) the sport after abuse charges post-olympics because of course)

Oh man although I also cried buckets when Kim Yuna won gold in 2010 at Vancouver, when I was also coincidentally in Seoul

I guess tl;dr I root for South Korea in the Olympics

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Tony Hawk is in Tokyo as a commentator for the inaugural Olympic skateboard competition.

So he blitzed the course.

I straight up love Tony Hawk. He's such a cool guy.

• Options
    My happiest Olympic moment was watching Korean women's curling team win silver at Pyongchang from a bar in Seoul in 2018. We all lost our frickin' minds.

Kim Eunjung is the hero none of us deserve (also don't google it unless you wanna get depressed all over again, the coaches all were forced to quit (yay) the sport after abuse charges post-olympics because of course)

Oh man although I also cried buckets when Kim Yuna won gold in 2010 at Vancouver, when I was also coincidentally in Seoul

I guess tl;dr I root for South Korea in the Olympics

In sports I actually know something about, especially individual sports, I tend to root for athletes I like rather than nations. I'll be cheering Adam Ondra and Janja Garnbret on in the climbing and hoping they get medals despite the fucking stupid inclusion of speed climbing as one of the three categories (they should have spun it out, at least they apparently are next time).

• Options
    (I'll also be cheering Shauna Coxsey on, and if I could pick a winner it'd be her, but I am doubtful. Still, we live in hope!)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am watching the opening ceremony now.

It is so weird to see the empty stadium.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Things I will say I guess repeatedly during this olympics.

• Options
    I guess this is me now like commenting.

I really like they included a rescue worker in the flag carriers. (Also a climber in the flag carriers )

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm with you Blake

I was going to start watching Ted Lasso but my friends were like "oh but Olympics" so

THAT DRESS HEY

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Oh my god.

That is what I was just about to say.

I love it.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm on Wish looking for one.

Also this sequence is... odd? But maybe I just have been inside for so long that I forgot that interpretive dance is always odd

E: there is no Dana only Zuul-chan

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    The opening ceremonies just went Japan As Fuck.

• Options
    I don’t mind interpretive dance, but it’s a pretty fucking bold move to physically act out death in a remembrance to people lost to COVID.

• Options
    I LOVE THIS LADY AND THESE BUILDERS I LOVE WHATEVER IS HAPPENING

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, dumb shit like this is what the opening ceremony is about.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fascinating choice from our national broadcaster to cut to ads during the moment of silence of rememberance for all the lives lost to Covid-19.

• Options
    If they don’t physically construct something by the end of this I will be disappointed.

• Options
    Are you guys getting the same audio stream down in Straya? Because the guy here just said "the honorable profession of carpentry..." and I'm like, carpentry breakdancing?? because I got news about carpentry usually there's less breakdance

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Fascinating choice from our national broadcaster to cut to ads during the moment of silence of rememberance for all the lives lost to Covid-19.

yiiiikes

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Are you guys getting the same audio stream down in Straya? Because the guy here just said "the honorable profession of carpentry..." and I'm like, carpentry breakdancing?? because I got news about carpentry usually there's less breakdance

No, we have our own local guys doing.

My understanding is that all the commentators get like their own summary sheet and get to do with it as they see fit.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Thank you CBC for taking multi minute commercial breaks

• Options
    I wouldn't have asked only the Mediacorp stream is... I think from the UK maybe? I dunno but for sure no Singaporean speakers so far

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder if they had to cut down how many dancers/performers they planned on using for the opening ceremony, because they look absolutely dwarfed by their props and there's a lot of empty space in amongst all their staging areas. They keep using pushing shots instead of long shots to disguise it, but these keep feeling like set pieces that were originally planned to feature significantly larger casts.

• Options
    This seems way shorter than a standard opening. I thought there is usually more into before the athletes.