Options

The Olympics is happening innit

1151617181921»

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Like realistically what needs to happen with the IOC is the same thing as what needs to happen with WADA and FIFA and the IWF and so on. They need to like... stop hiring deeply corrupt people and have better oversight.

They need to regulate the shit out of the bidding over hosting. A country shouldn't be encouraged to bankrupt itself like Greece or build sports infrastructure with slave labor like Qatar.

I 100% agree but to do that you need a regulatory body that has 1) teeth and 2) isn't just paid off like all the other sports bodies tend to be

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the logistics behind putting on an olympic games are a fucking nightmare from top to bottom

they're utterly destructive to the environment, the local population and long-term economy, the working class and homeless population in particular, from a epidemiological sense even in a non-pandemic environment

the only people who are not hurt are the ones that get paid and never have to actually worry about the problems, and even if somehow they were rmeoved from the equation the numerous problems still exist

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It is entirely possible to run the Olympics without incurring devastating financial loss and even making a profit. Los Angeles blazed the path, Boston verified it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    It is entirely possible to run the Olympics without incurring devastating financial loss and even making a profit. Los Angeles blazed the path, Boston verified it.

Boston's never hosted and the bids have completely garbage math and have for years. Kind of like the lies you get when billionaires want cities to build them a stadium.

The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • Options
    Olympic accounting is often bollocks, like hollywood accounting. Or indeed all sport accounting.

The Olympics are fantastic and should absolutely be a thing. Many sports thrive due to the Olympics and sport and athletics in general are really good things we should promote. The IOC realistically needs seriously reforming but to do that there would need to be a will to do it, and I don't think there is. If it will happen it will happen slowly.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Madican wrote: »

Boston's never hosted and the bids have completely garbage math and have for years. Kind of like the lies you get when billionaires want cities to build them a stadium.

My bad, it was Atlanta. Also the main reason Los Angeles turned a profit was that they didn't build any new infrastructure on purpose, they used what they had

Madican on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The IOC is cartoonishly evil. Like if Snideley Whiplash was an actual person, evil. It would be a real toss up if you asked me who was more comically corrupt, the IOC or FIFA.

They're never going to change anything because of the amount of money they're able to steal from host countries.

We should have a stable Summer and Winter games location each which is supported by payments from each country commensurate with how many athletes they send to competition. So. Bigger countries pay more and you don't make it prohibitively expensive for smaller countries.

Also maintaining those facilities will be so much less expensive than rebuilding the fucking things every four years.

But, never going to happen.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/oYu2mSDAICA
    Ah. Oof... Sheesh... this is awkward.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the logistics behind putting on an olympic games are a fucking nightmare from top to bottom

they're utterly destructive to the environment, the local population and long-term economy, the working class and homeless population in particular, from a epidemiological sense even in a non-pandemic environment

the only people who are not hurt are the ones that get paid and never have to actually worry about the problems, and even if somehow they were rmeoved from the equation the numerous problems still exist

The 2026 World Cup is going to take place in three countries (Canada, US, and Mexico) and I wonder if it's been suggested to do something similar with the Olympic games. That would alleviate a lot of the destruction by utilizing infrastructure that already exists for annual international competition.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The IOC is cartoonishly evil. Like if Snideley Whiplash was an actual person, evil. It would be a real toss up if you asked me who was more comically corrupt, the IOC or FIFA.

They're never going to change anything because of the amount of money they're able to steal from host countries.

We should have a stable Summer and Winter games location each which is supported by payments from each country commensurate with how many athletes they send to competition. So. Bigger countries pay more and you don't make it prohibitively expensive for smaller countries.

Also maintaining those facilities will be so much less expensive than rebuilding the fucking things every four years.

But, never going to happen.

Eh I'd not really say they are evil evil I'd say that enough of the IOC is corrupt that the whole org is tainted, but like, some very good people have been elected to the IOC (and many of them have torn their hair out over it's deep problems). They aren't the Republican Party.

The thing is that the IOC probably would be okay with a static Olympic location (I actually think it's been suggested)... but you'd not get agreement from the national Olympic committees as to where it should be, it's basically a non-starter. Like as much as the IOC has failed in a lot of areas, they have to negotiate basically everything through the national committees too.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Abolish the Olympics, investigate and prosecute the IOC.

I'm not joking.

• Options
    Nah

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I've only ever watched a little of the Paralympics but I really want to give it a stronger go this year

As I'm still mostly at home the Olympics were a good distraction and I'm looking forward to a second round of that in two weeks

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maybe the Olympics could be based not in a single city?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hear me out...

Olympia

If it's going to be anywhere it has to be there or thereabouts. Permanent structures for cost savings. Historic value. Funded by the international community and a source of income for Greece.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: Albuquerquimpics.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Maybe the Olympics could be based not in a single city?

My uncle actually spearheaded a proposal for this for the Commonwealth Games. It was about 20 years ago, and he made a really good we'll founded argument about national (or state/provence) based distribution that would set a new method for hosting the games, would better allow smaller countries to host, and to not just be viewed as a knock-off Olympics-lite sporting event.

Naturally it was immediately rejected by old white men for being not enough like the Olympics, and being like the Olympics was going to lead to growth and increased relevance in the sporting calendar, and any suggestions that actually the Commonwealth Games needed to start to differentiate or risk withering into marginal irrelevance was clearly dangerous original thought that had no bearing on the actual future direction of the games.

Anyway, as I said, this was 20 years ago and the Commonwealth Games stuck with the single city host model and have continued to be hosted by mostly the same 3 countries over and over and have diminished in relevance compared to the Olympics and it's just kind of a shame so much of these kinds of decisions are left in the hands of old white men who can't evolve their thinking.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The games will be held on my private island. There will also be a new invite-only one on one fighting competition, to the death.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Oh no.

TW: mental health, probable suicide
    One of our young Olympic Cyclists who raced at Rio but failed to be selected after qualifying for Tokyo made a post on Instagram last night about how good victory feels but how losing, failing to get selected, injury, having to give up a normal life, kids, owning a house for your sport also has a feeling.

This morning it's been confirmed she's died suddenly overnight at the age of 24, and I'm just heartbroken.

I'm so glad we're getting to a better place where we're able to talk about athlete mental health, with Simone Biles and others helping highlight that during these games, but I'm gutted that we weren't able to help this young, talented, beautiful, and worthy woman to help with the pain she was dealing with.

Fishman on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really would rather have a country host the games than a city/area as for the most part across the country they tend to have the infrastructure to run the games with building/upgrading little

I really hate how NBC shows the games as there are always events that capture people's interest be it from a participant or a small clip that outside of the internet would frustrate.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I've only ever watched a little of the Paralympics but I really want to give it a stronger go this year

As I'm still mostly at home the Olympics were a good distraction and I'm looking forward to a second round of that in two weeks

I'm right there with you on this but....is any of it going to get broadcast, streamed, or VoD'd by NBC worth a damn?

As we've collectively witnessed, NBC was barely capable of adequately presenting the Much More Monied Olympics, I'm afraid the Paralympics will (again) disappear into the background noise...

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I'm right there with you on this but....is any of it going to get broadcast, streamed, or VoD'd by NBC worth a damn?

As we've collectively witnessed, NBC was barely capable of adequately presenting the Much More Monied Olympics, I'm afraid the Paralympics will (again) disappear into the background noise...

I can't speak to NBC's coverage but I think CBC and the Canadian channels are generally pretty good about it

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

FWIW this is what NBC has to say about it: https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-and-stream-tokyo-paralympic-games-nbc

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    In which a canadian runs down the various Olympic logos over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqyYZXwTxg

I've watched about half and there's some real bangers so far
    shout out to Mexico 68

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Mexico 68 and Munich 72 are probably the best designed Olympic games. Munich's logo is way less flashy but its design manual and all the pictograms developed for it are top notch.

honovere on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I haven't watched that video but I feel confident in saying the London 2012 logo has to be one of the worst

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Apparently one of the "bid" ones for 2012 was basically the Eastenders title card which is way better

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I haven't watched that video but I feel confident in saying the London 2012 logo has to be one of the worst

We've all seen the edits

• Options
    edited August 2021
    In which a canadian runs down the various Olympic logos over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqyYZXwTxg

I've watched about half and there's some real bangers so far
    shout out to Mexico 68

Really upset he didn't show the Bart and Lisa version of the London logo.
    2ryvmq3cii8p.jpg

TheStig on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... that can't be real.

• Options
    The shape is real, the coloring was added.

• Options
    It's one of those "you can't unsee it" though

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hey, so, the Paralympics is happening, innit?

I'm all locked up in lockdown and I enjoyed having sport on the big flatscreen behind me during the day while the olympics was on, so I thought I'd try watching the Paralympics now that digital TV means you can actually get coverage of it if you want.

I was thrilled to discover paralympic cycling still has the 3k Individual Pursuit.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Still think it's a bit odd starting on a tuesday but hey

7qmGNt5.png