As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Collector's [CHAT]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    aren't you one of them Iron Man is the best types

Tony Stark is my hero

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    less people shit in vans

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am getting absolutely cucked by baba is you

bodied?
    bred?
    humiliated?
    squashed?

yeah I could do like...10 levels total, if that

it doesn't speak well to my intellectual firepower

SO I AM NOT THE ONLY OSTENSIBLE PROGRAMMER WHO HAS TROUBLE WITH BABA IS YOU HALLELUJAH *laughs hysterically*

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    fuck trains

just give me a sexy ride-share van that goes direct to my stop

that doesn't have a set route it just uses gps

yeah but have you considered that trains… are cool

• Options
    What is Baba?

non-joke answer: excellent, wonderful puzzle game that uses language to transform the map and yourself in order to accomplish a goal. You literally shove words together to change reality.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

bodied?
    bred?
    humiliated?
    squashed?

Doesn't sound like your intellectual firepower is the problem. You never struck me as lacking in that department, cred.

Sounds like it's just a particularly difficult high-barrier game that takes a metric fuckton of mental effort that lots of people don't have the time or energy to give.

• Options
    kobold is fail
    credeiki is fail

• Options
    more non-joking opinions - I think people who struggle with Baba is You might have similar struggles with other meta-narrative games that ask you not to exist within the frame but intentionally break it in novel ways to accomplish a goal.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Baba is Map

And that, kids, is how I fucked my game up so bad I couldn’t even figure out how to go back and fix it

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Too many MCU to list but I regularly put Winter Soldier and Ragnarok on to just chill to.

My hottest take is probably that Infinity War and Endgame are on opposite ends of the rankings.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

bodied?
    bred?
    humiliated?
    squashed?

SO I AM NOT THE ONLY OSTENSIBLE PROGRAMMER WHO HAS TROUBLE WITH BABA IS YOU HALLELUJAH *laughs hysterically*

My excuse (a feeble one) is that I do not like puzzle games At All (tactical combat games don't count)(I wouldn't have bought this one but it looked so cute and novel and everyone in chat was talking about it)

but yeah idk, honestly some of them--and again, we're talking I think very early levels--were so completely opaque to me I didn't even know how to begin, let alone how to execute whatever strategy. It was demoralizing, and I certainly didn't feel internally motivated to keep banging my head against the wall

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    When my nephew immediately took to Baba Is You I was also proud I bought it for him on the spot

"I like games where you can change the rules"

Me too nephew, me too

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    more non-joking opinions - I think people who struggle with Baba is You might have similar struggles with other meta-narrative games that ask you not to exist within the frame but intentionally break it in novel ways to accomplish a goal.

I actually successfully played all of Antichamber until the final room which I gave up on

But that was surprising and it was also surprising that I liked it--I think cause it felt narrative, and cause the aesthetic was neat

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/evthRoKoE1o

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I would like to believe that, like most other things, the lateral thinking required to solve puzzles in Baba is You or similar games is not an inherent quality but a skill that can be honed through practice.

The problem is that unlike other mental disciplines I don't know where to even begin practicing it. I can't imagine that bringing home a stack of those brain teaser books full of tricksy logic and word problems they used to keep around the gifted classroom would meaningfully improve your ability to do other kinds of out-the-box thinking.

• Options
    edited July 2021

bodied?
    bred?
    humiliated?
    squashed?

My excuse (a feeble one) is that I do not like puzzle games At All (tactical combat games don't count)(I wouldn't have bought this one but it looked so cute and novel and everyone in chat was talking about it)

but yeah idk, honestly some of them--and again, we're talking I think very early levels--were so completely opaque to me I didn't even know how to begin, let alone how to execute whatever strategy. It was demoralizing, and I certainly didn't feel internally motivated to keep banging my head against the wall

Your feelings are similar to my feelings, except that for me I could tell what I needed to do, abstractly, but getting there was a big pile of 'wtf.' edit: and 'idk.'

Also, I fucking hated Antichamber, maybe because I went into it thinking it would be like Monument Valley, which I love, but it wasn't.

A Kobold's Kobold on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Baba is good but hard and I got stuck a ways into it. It’s too cute to uninstall though so every few months I will turn it on and diddle around aimlessly trying to solve the puzzles I’m stuck on and then turn it off again.

Myst still best puzzle game

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    But I’m stupid anyway so it’s no shock I’m bad at puzzle games

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I would like to believe that, like most other things, the lateral thinking required to solve puzzles in Baba is You or similar games is not an inherent quality but a skill that can be honed through practice.

The problem is that unlike other mental disciplines I don't know where to even begin practicing it. I can't imagine that bringing home a stack of those brain teaser books full of tricksy logic and word problems they used to keep around the gifted classroom would meaningfully improve your ability to do other kinds of out-the-box thinking.

…I think I still have one of those books lying around here somewhere

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    my first solution is always to see if baba can be wall is you

no? bullshit, we shall make it happen so i can move the entire structure into the flag, assuming, ofc, the flag is win

Orphane on
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    my first solution is always to see if baba can be wall is you

no? bullshit, we shall make it happen so i can move the entire structure into the flag, assuming, ofc, the flag is win

considering that, most of the time, that {wall} is stop and not you (etc.) is behind walls you can't move…

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/evthRoKoE1o

This always kills me

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    baba is you does have that lovable quality (for me) where i get a sense of elation when i figure out the method. this doesn't happen when i just luck into it (which can happen on a lot of the puzzles, if you're persistent with trial and error)

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    less people shit in vans
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

• Options
    I've always been so baffled by puzzles--in Boston some people I knew would do this MIT puzzle competition and I couldn't even tell what the questions were, let alone how to do them. Bad at escape rooms, too ;_;

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @Casual Eddy

Dan Flashes shirts!!

q5wcyhcdsdt4.png

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hmm today makes two years since my mom died. i am not a real big Date person but i do have the misties

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There are these riddles right at the beginning of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. I had no patience and cheated. Part of the problem is that the riddles were for dated band names.
    https://youtu.be/Cy9Vgfkf478

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I am so gassy right now. Fuck.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    hmm today makes two years since my mom died. i am not a real big Date person but i do have the misties

I’m sorry, hon. We love you. ♥️ :bro:

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    That being said, I could tell you how to get affordable housing in Seattle...it's just the entire city would protest because it would torpedo everyone's property values.

no I'm pretty sure building 2000 space needles (the only solution) would increase values
    Aioua That is a solution, another would be to drop a high speed rail that moves from bumble fuck into westlake. 2 stops. The BFE stop is essentially a medium density large scale development. Anyone who doesn’t own property who wants a 1000sq ft condo for 150k gets one. And just keep building new developments until folks don’t want them anymore. Doing it outside of Seattle means NIMBY folks lack standing to sue over code and appearance reasons.

This wouldn't work.

If the train is 45 minutes from downtown then the real estate prices at wherever you build will scale to match, say, burien/shoreline. Places that are the sameish commute.

Maybe a little less since there won't be anything else there, but that'd quickly change.
    What if it were 25-30minutes from downtown?

And what if it were 10k-15k of additional inventory a year?

All of this is technically feasible, and it would torpedo property prices by doubling the yearly inventory.

you'd have to do it at the state level

the county doesn't have the money nor really the place to buy enough cheap land since there isn't really any cheap land left in king co

At least not any place with the infra to support that many houses being added all at once, you're basically conjuring a small city out of thin air

I mean I guess I get the idea is it's cost neutral since you're just building it and then selling but you can't guarantee you'd have that many buyers lined up (and Lord knows there'd be some smear campaigns trying to crater the value/demand, and you're fucked if there are actual problems with the buildings), and nobody wants to touch government run rentals... and at the same time you will have people campaigning against the project as a handout to the middle class who has the ability to buy over the truly needy...

No, the nimby problem actually needs to be tackled, you need to build up density in the neighborhoods and suburbs that already exist and have the ability to handle the new people.

I dunno, no easy solutions expect "have already built housing 20 years ago"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

This is absolutely a pinnacle of SNL.

• Options
    baba is you does have that lovable quality (for me) where i get a sense of elation when i figure out the method. this doesn't happen when i just luck into it (which can happen on a lot of the puzzles, if you're persistent with trial and error)

Hm I think the second part of my problem (other than the being too dumb part) is that there's no story to keep you going and, for me, not much of an internal sense of satisfaction for figuring out. It just all feels like a grind to get through, I guess, which is really not what I'm looking for in a game.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I mean I guess actually I really fucking wish our government was in the place to just pull an "if you build it they will come" but our shit is just not together enough for that to not become a massive boondoggle.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fired up Cyberpunk 2077 with my new rig

That is a very pretty game!

Though I almost prefer the potato version since there was virtually no traffic at all :P

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Hm I think the second part of my problem (other than the being too dumb part) is that there's no story to keep you going and, for me, not much of an internal sense of satisfaction for figuring out. It just all feels like a grind to get through, I guess, which is really not what I'm looking for in a game.

have you tried Thomas Was Alone?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    hmmm

In my first rimworld game I let my animals multiply too freely and now half of my growing production is hay and they still have trouble making it through the winter.

and also everyone is farming all the time and don't have time for other tasks.

sigh

i guess i should slaughter all these dromedaries and muffalo...

:cry:

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »

have you tried Thomas Was Alone?

No, but I really don't like games like that. I don't enjoy puzzle games or puzzle platformers or hard platformers, unfortunately

This discussion has been closed.