Options

Metroidvanias - Finest of all Genres

1181920212224»

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I’ve been eyeballing the new Prince of Persia

I downloaded the demo for Switch and was gonna fire it on up the other day, but it required me to fucking log into a ubisoft account just to play the demo and I did not have the patience at the moment.

The full game on switch lets you hit "maybe later" on the ubi account screen and go into the game without having to log in. No idea if the demo does as well.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I’ve been eyeballing the new Prince of Persia

I downloaded the demo for Switch and was gonna fire it on up the other day, but it required me to fucking log into a ubisoft account just to play the demo and I did not have the patience at the moment.

The full game on switch lets you hit "maybe later" on the ubi account screen and go into the game without having to log in. No idea if the demo does as well.

Huh, didn't notice that. I'll check again.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    VampireFourVampireFour Sir Registered User regular
    Metroidvania fans unite! Ender Lilies is rocking my world. Classics like Symphony of the Night, indie darlings like Hollow Knight—love 'em all!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A reminder that you can buy a month of Ubisoft Pro Ultra Whatever+ for $18 for PoP.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ultros fucking rules so far

• Options

Haven't heard of it so I checked out a trailer and holy shit, it's fucking gorgeous

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Alternate reply: Well he sure ain't no garden variety octopus.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It’s made by the the Hotline: Miami guy.

• Options
    My only early issue is that it can be hard to differentiate between what is scenery/background and what is actually something to interact with.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

Welp, I'm sold.

• Options
    My only early issue is that it can be hard to differentiate between what is scenery/background and what is actually something to interact with.

Ah, I could see that

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    It’s a very minor issue.

• Options
    Hmm, looks like it's not on Switch, which I would prefer.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    This game is a top 10 game for graphics and atmosphere.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

Niklas Åkerblad, artist on Ultros, made some music that was in Hotline Miami and drew the cover art for it, but if anyone is "the Hotline Miami guy" it's Jonatan Söderström.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    I beat Ultros.

The plant growing stuff is a cool idea, but in practice I didn't like that part of the video game much.

And when going for the good ending, the plant stuff becomes almost the entire game in the last third.

Peewi on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Beat PoP. 30 hours and 75% complete. Map is pretty much complete so I probably won't try to 100%.

Really enjoyed it and felt it was well worth the 50 bucks.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Just beat Samus Returns, I guess I can put the 3ds up for a bit..

Its a game that was very interesting in a lot of ways. It has some big flaws, and they slap you in the facd (melee parry? They also seemed to find a way of switching weapons that was even more awkward than the select button), but the more you play the less important they seem.

Boss fights are great, you can tell they hit the sweet spot when I am fighting a zeta or omega for the fourth time and still having fun. The game is the longest 2d metroid though, and they could have stood to trim the fat a bit, but oh well.

Definitely not the best 2d metroid or even the best Mercurysteam Metroid but fun and worth a playthrough. Hopefully someday it will be ported to switch or switch 2.

• Options
    So I did try to get into the PoP demo again, and there isn't an option at all to try the demo without signing into or creating a ubisoft account and fuck that

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I did try to get into the PoP demo again, and there isn't an option at all to try the demo without signing into or creating a ubisoft account and fuck that

ah well. for what it's worth the early game plays okay on the switch but later on it's a lot buggier/slow downs in performance.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I finished the main story of PoP. Overall I give it a 7/10.

I will be upfront that I have a difficult time not comparing it to Metroid Dread since that is the Metroidvania I've actually played a lot of recently so keep that in mind I suppose.

Main quibbles other than it just not being very well optimized for Switch (textures are terrible, had some hang ups, especially late game):

Starts soooo slow. Traversal eventually becomes fun but it really takes awhile to get going. Your first several abilities are combat focused and probably my least used ones in the game. The maps being so spread out makes things really drag. Eventually you're zipping around going flips and shit and it's great. Would have liked it about 10 hours sooner though.

Some kinda BS enemy and trap design. It seems like they went the "everything is avoidable" route that Dread took but didn't actually polish up certain encounters and traps to fit that philosophy. I think you could finish the game in a "Dread mode" one-hit death kinda thing but I think it would be extremely frustrating in some areas and fights.

Story spoiler:
    Radjen shows up at one point to intimidate you and later Neith warns you that Radjen is fiercely loyal to Vahram and then you never fight her and Sargon casually mentions that she's dead in the post-game cinematic. There's apparently a lore item (which I picked up) that implies she killed herself for some reason but I didn't follow that thread at all so what I expected to be a boss, at the latest, just before the final never happened and had no convincing explanation. Cut content? Maybe, but you could have cut a whole lot else to preserve what should be one of the core characters.

Not factoring this into my review cause I might be dumb but I think one of the treasures on my map is bugged? I did the room which is a mini-boss fight with two secret rooms on either side but it still says there's something there. I'm pretty sure I picked up all of the rewards from the fight and there's nothing else in either secret area.

The amulets are cool but the vast majority of them are uncompelling. Maybe on a higher difficulty I'd want to equip burn resistance but extra health, healing parries, etc seem like must-picks.

Anyway, pretty good. Definitely worth the $30 sale price. Could have been polished up quite a bit though, both in general, and for the Switch specifically. I know the popular talk is that the Switch is just underpowered but Dread looks and plays about 10 times better.