Options

Metroidvanias - Finest of all Genres

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    They’re suffering this less and less as years go by, but if I were to make one of these I’d put at least one unique feature per screen bec
    Blake T wrote: »
    My dumb, unpopular opinion is that I hate the name Metroidvania, because Metroid did it first and the castlevania was just a dumb platformer that fucking copied Metroid and suddenly they are mentioned with the cool kid for some reason. And I am annoyed by this.

This is not the popular I am well aware, you don’t have to agree with me, but you have to know my opinion.

Anyway zonagul, as someone mentioned, Arkham Asylum is 100% an A tier list for this genre, if your list does not have it, it is a poor list.

I don’t like it because… because that’s not how amalgamated words work. It’s just not. I can never fathom how it happened.

It should be Metrovania, clearly.

That said, Backtrackers would have been a tidy little term, but it’s too late now.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    There's always Castleoids

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Troidlikes

• Options
    Fuck that one caused physical pain to type

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    ‘Troidlikes is good tho

Castleoids sounds like something you get for trying to poo hard

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    I need to get some more ender lilies time in this weekend.

Game good.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I feel like sprites are a better style for 2D MVs than fully rendered 3D models in a 2D game.

That being said, Dread still looks awesome.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I replayed Arkham Asylum a few months ago and while it's still a very good game the combat feels a little rough compared to the later iterations of that combat style.

It's still good, but things like counters don't feel as fluid or responsive as something like Spider-Man. Which I guess makes sense since Arkham Asylum pretty much pioneered that style of combat.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Think "search action" is ever gonna catch on?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I'm okay with the Metroidvania name since Metroid is first billing and it's referring to all the Castlevania games that follow the Metroid formula (and there are a lot of them)

I'm sure there's a better name for the genre overall but I doubt we'll ever all reach a common consensus on it, much like we can't agree on what makes a game fit the formula fully

In short, drink your ovaltine

I think it's useful vs. just calling them metroids or whatever because it distinguishes the genre as a whole from the actual metroid series in conversation
    you could say metroid-likes but metroidvania is more fun to say

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shout out to my boy Raziel and Soul Reaver which is absolutely a Metroidvania.

Also one of the most baller, if not the ballest, intros of any game of all time.

https://youtu.be/4DOKzTHaPfM

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Think "search action" is ever gonna catch on?

Only if we actually start using it. I'm fine with that one, I've also used Exploration Platformer in the past, which I think is apt but dull honestly.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My dumb, unpopular opinion is that I hate the name Metroidvania, because Metroid did it first and the castlevania was just a dumb platformer that fucking copied Metroid and suddenly they are mentioned with the cool kid for some reason. And I am annoyed by this.

This is not the popular I am well aware, you don’t have to agree with me, but you have to know my opinion.

Anyway zonagul, as someone mentioned, Arkham Asylum is 100% an A tier list for this genre, if your list does not have it, it is a poor list.

I don’t like it because… because that’s not how amalgamated words work. It’s just not. I can never fathom how it happened.

e-mail, chillax, and mockumentary beg to differ

(also the word you are looking for is portmanteau)

Tamin on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Have I talked about how good Ender Lilies is because…it’s pretty good

• Options
    Blasphemous

I am a bad Penitent One
    Eh17u55.jpg

turns out not turning in the medicine has consequences. Who could have guessed.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Castemetoniods.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Have I talked about how good Ender Lilies is because…it’s pretty good

Jesus Christ, fine

…I’ll watch a stream of someone playing it

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Zelda is a Metroid

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Zelda is a Metroid

YOU’RE a Metroid!!!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yes yeeeeees

*Adds things to wish list*

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    That video talking about upcoming indie MVs led me to his video talking about the best existing indie MVs and Iconoclasts looks really neat. Anyone played?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Zelda is a Metroid

YOU’RE a Metroid!!!

The metroidvania was inside us all along

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Zelda is a Metroid

YOU’RE a Metroid!!!

What if Metroid was a girl?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    That video talking about upcoming indie MVs led me to his video talking about the best existing indie MVs and Iconoclasts looks really neat. Anyone played?

Iconoclasts is a lot of fun. Definitely recommend

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Zelda is a Metroid

YOU’RE a Metroid!!!

Oh no.

*explodes*

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular

Yeah it's awesome

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Zelda is a Metroid

YOU’RE a Metroid!!!

You're not wrong.

What if Metroid was a girl?

Oh, then now even more yes.

• Options
    wait, I thought you were a tiny bat

you can't be both a metroid and a tiny bat, that's against the rules

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Mapformer

• Options
    If you get to the credits quickly there's a dissolve to the reveal i've been metroid undereath the whole time.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Aquaria, but one of the developers turned out to be a not great person from what I can recall. The controls might be a bit janky if you try to use a gamepad, though I think there might be some ways to map things properly now.

• Options
    The music in Ender Lilies is fantastic

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Aquaria, but one of the developers turned out to be a not great person from what I can recall. The controls might be a bit janky if you try to use a gamepad, though I think there might be some ways to map things properly now.

CW abuse, suicide
    yeah Aquaria developer Alec Holowka had relationship abuse accusations leveled against him in 2019 and committed suicide

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The artwork by the other developer was excellent though. It's a shame they never made a sequel but i suppose that was partly due to how difficult Alec was to work with.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    This thread prompted me to finally buy and play Hollow Knight, after passing over it several times for other titles on the Switch, and I am absolutely loving it.

The world/lore couldn’t be more my thing, and the unfurling progression, abilities and difficulty seem bang on so far.

• Options
    If you like Hollow Knight I can’t recommend Ender Lilies enough.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I tapped out of of hollow knight eventually, the combat timing I never really got and I was stuck at a boss, and the five minutes it took to grind up health so I could practice against the boss I just couldn’t be bothered with anymore.

• Options
    If you like Hollow Knight I can’t recommend Ender Lilies enough.
    I tapped out of of hollow knight eventually, the combat timing I never really got and I was stuck at a boss, and the five minutes it took to grind up health so I could practice against the boss I just couldn’t be bothered with anymore.

Can’t sell washing machines, won’t play Ender Lillies smh

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I've been playing a lot of Ender Lilies (I'm up to the snowy fort area) and I can heartily recommend it.

It can be be a bit brutal. You're character is kinda squishy and can't take a lot of hits. And it feels like enemy density in some room are a bit too much.
    But there is a leveling system and there's no penalty to dying (you just go back to the last bench/bonfire), so you can at least grind a bit without worrying about losing exp. And a lot of enemy attack patters are pretty learnable.
    And if you seek out the optional spirits/stands you can get a pretty diverse set of offensive abilities.

It's just really lovely and moody and fun. And it gives me that dopamine rush when you gain a new ability and you search the map for all the new secrets (helpfully, rooms on the map change color when you've found everything in them)

And that aesthetic!!

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

What boss were you stuck at, out of curiosity?