As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Locked Tomb Series (open spoilers for Gideon and Harrow! Nona the Ninth is out!)

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Man, I'm trying to read through the second book, but it sure doesn't make it easy for you does it. I know there's a reason (in the end of the book :-( ) but does Nona the Ninth make it as hard to read as Harrow?

Nah. I would say there are some of those blocks but they are very different. Without spoilering Harrow is the last two episodes of Evangelion in comparison to gideon being the first 24. In comparison Nona is more like an anime time skip staring a character who doesn't have all the information that you do.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nona is much more like Gideon.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I can't say I agree. Harrow is tougher, but I think Gideon is the only relatively straightforward one of the three. I've discussed it before, but it thought the dialogue was often tricky to follow with unclear or misleading cues on who's speaking because of a specific narrative viewpoint.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Harrow is easily the most challenging of the three to read. But I also think is the best? At least I respect the hell out of Muir's commitment to the bit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Man, I'm trying to read through the second book, but it sure doesn't make it easy for you does it. I know there's a reason (in the end of the book :-( ) but does Nona the Ninth make it as hard to read as Harrow?

No. It can be confusing but emotionally it is almost the exact opposite of Harrow.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I think each book has been less good than the prior one, but I hope that trend breaks with the fourth, what with resolving all(most?) of the loose plot threads. I think Gideon is just such a good haunted murder mystery, with more enjoyable character work than Harrow, but maybe tied with Nona.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    I think each book has been less good than the prior one, but I hope that trend breaks with the fourth, what with resolving all(most?) of the loose plot threads. I think Gideon is just such a good haunted murder mystery, with more enjoyable character work than Harrow, but maybe tied with Nona.

Yea, Gideon as a POV character hasn't been matched yet, she is just so awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I can't say I agree. Harrow is tougher, but I think Gideon is the only relatively straightforward one of the three. I've discussed it before, but it thought the dialogue was often tricky to follow with unclear or misleading cues on who's speaking because of a specific narrative viewpoint.

Can you give more detail on what you found challenging? I'm curious because I found Nona completely effortless to follow, you get the rules of how the characters work very early on and it never deviates from that.

So far Nona is my favorite by a huge margin because you actually get real, full context on the universe for the first time in the series instead of vague half-truths. Harrow's well at the bottom for me, which is less a fault of the writing and more the fact that every character who isn't Harrow is a completely insufferable toddler. The literal children in Nona are not as immature as the idiots Harrow's stuck with.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Gideon was the most straightforward but you're also limited by Gideon's perspective; she has no real idea what's going on most of the time so a lot of the narrative slack is taken up by conversations she overhears and doesn't understand.

Harrow is a difficult read because of the 2nd person perspective and the chapters set in Canaan House, though both are much easier to follow after you've read them.

Alecto is pretty straightforward and has some of the same limited perspective that Gideon has, but there are hints that she had a lot more going on under the surface and her perception skill-level is off the charts. The biggest mystery is the John chapters where you don't know for sure who he's with, where he is, or when it's taking place.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Can you give more detail on what you found challenging? I'm curious because I found Nona completely effortless to follow, you get the rules of how the characters work very early on and it never deviates from that.

So far Nona is my favorite by a huge margin because you actually get real, full context on the universe for the first time in the series instead of vague half-truths. Harrow's well at the bottom for me, which is less a fault of the writing and more the fact that every character who isn't Harrow is a completely insufferable toddler. The literal children in Nona are not as immature as the idiots Harrow's stuck with.

It wasn't me, but I felt Nona was very complicated because of the number of bodies, souls, and subsequent identities. I had a hard time keeping track of who is who and who is made up of who.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    So, I don't mean this as a dig, but what were you confused about?
    Palamedes and Cam are sharing a body and are each addressed with their respective name when they're the one driving. Pyrrha (Augustine's cavalier) is in Augustine's body, Augustine having been killed by the resurrection beast and her soul having taken up residence. Nona is in Harrow's body. Pretty much everything else is normal, except when Ianthe possesses Naberius's body to use as a puppet?

I dunno. When people say "there were so many it was hard to keep track of" I feel like I must have missed something, I feel like it was very few and the book was extremely clear about who was who.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Palamedes and Cam are sharing a body and are each addressed with their respective name when they're the one driving. Pyrrha (Augustine's cavalier) is in Augustine's body, Augustine having been killed by the resurrection beast and her soul having taken up residence. Nona is in Harrow's body. Pretty much everything else is normal, except when Ianthe possesses Naberius's body to use as a puppet?

I dunno. When people say "there were so many it was hard to keep track of" I feel like I must have missed something, I feel like it was very few and the book was extremely clear about who was who.

Missed it by >< this much.
    Pyrrha is in Gideon's Ortus's body. That's the Gideon who was alive before John went all necromancer and brought the suitcase nuke to Sydney(?) way back then. Also the fellow who spent most of Harrow trying to kill Harrow. Pyrrha was his cavilier and was never fully absorbed in the lyctor process. Though fuck it that seemed to make any difference to the OG lyctor's abilites.

• Options
    Ah, I went back on forth on if that was it. I put that one down to not remembering Harrow well when I read Nona.

• Options
    Honestly the hardest names to keep track of in Nona were all the BoE people, in part because Nona doesn't really grok gender

• Options

I think some of it is just things not being clarified for awhile.
    I wasn't sure whether Nona's body was Harrow's or Gideon's until the mid-point of the book. Not that it made much of a different but if you're trying to put together what's going on in the great world it can feel more confusing than it really is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StaticValorStaticValor Registered User regular
    Pyrrha is in Gideon's Ortus's body. That's the Gideon who was alive before John went all necromancer and brought the suitcase nuke to Sydney(?) way back then. Also the fellow who spent most of Harrow trying to kill Harrow. Pyrrha was his cavilier and was never fully absorbed in the lyctor process. Though fuck it that seemed to make any difference to the OG lyctor's abilites.

Harrow stuff
    It didn't have an effect on their abilities. I think Pyrrha mentions they got close to how the Lyctor process was supposed to work. She even mentions that Harrow managed to take less of Gideon than Gideon (prime) took of Pyrrha. Though I imagine they did it in a way that wasn't as destructive to Gideon (prime) as Harrow's method was to her.

PSN staticvalor_1
  • Options

I wasn't sure whether Nona's body was Harrow's or Gideon's until the mid-point of the book. Not that it made much of a different but if you're trying to put together what's going on in the great world it can feel more confusing than it really is.

There is a bit in the beginning where
    Nona says she has black hair, which means we can assume she's in Harrow's body

• Options

Totally and I missed that but the way the books trust you to pick up on all the details is a big factor in why some people might find it confusing.

Which to be clear: Not a criticism from me. I love the way the books don't feel like they need to outright explain everything.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Nona:
    She's also said to be small a whole bunch. Like assume the body is of somebody 5 years younger or more small. That is not our girl Gideon.

• Options
    I'll go back to my prior example. When we're seeing Coronabeth go to the barracks, I did not know of we're talking to Ianthe and Naberius(brought back and puppeted), or Ianthe in Naberius' body. On the initial camera broadcast, the same. The problem is Nona's limited knowledge, combined with probably standard narrative devices of substituting names for pronouns, but that gets way harder to parse when combined with that lack of knowledge. Same with the John chapters, where it'll effortlessly shift between "he said" meaning John is recalling a memory, and the he meaning someone within his memory talking. It was not constant, but frequent enough to be confusing, and I don't think it needed to be that way other than Tamsyn may enjoy putting the reader on their backfoot. Gideon had none of these issues for me.

• Options
    I'll go back to my prior example. When we're seeing Coronabeth go to the barracks, I did not know of we're talking to Ianthe and Naberius(brought back and puppeted), or Ianthe in Naberius' body. On the initial camera broadcast, the same. The problem is Nona's limited knowledge, combined with probably standard narrative devices of substituting names for pronouns, but that gets way harder to parse when combined with that lack of knowledge. Same with the John chapters, where it'll effortlessly shift between "he said" meaning John is recalling a memory, and the he meaning someone within his memory talking. It was not constant, but frequent enough to be confusing, and I don't think it needed to be that way other than Tamsyn may enjoy putting the reader on their backfoot. Gideon had none of these issues for me.

Oh yeah I DID have to go back and reread that after realizing what was actually happening near the end of the scene.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    So hey here's a question that I just had in retrospect.
    Any thoughts on why Gideon could immediately tell who Palamedes was? Can revenants just see the true form of other revenants? Did she put it together from context and Harrow's memory that revealed Palamedes was alive? Some sort of special power?

Edit-I don't have the book with me and I'm going to be very embarrassed at the answer ends up being that they said his name.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I'm going to stay with my assertion that the "who is in what body with what a soul" is really confusing because it kicked off more conversation in this thread than the actual release of Nona did.

Also, come on @3cl1ps3 , hair color? That was the key fact for you? All I knew about Harrow after two books was that she was rat / narrow faced.

Anyway, I just finished Gideon for the fourth time before launching into Harrow for the third, before Nona for the second and I forgot that Magnus (dedicated old guy) is apparently 38 (one year older than I am right now) and that knowledge is really putting a spin on the whole book.

• Options
    You thought he was younger, or older? I thought he totally had 40, possibly 45 year old vibes.

• Options
    Everybody in the books is really damn young and should get off my lawn.
    Excepting the 10,000 year old undead folks. Though my read on most of them is like like physically at around 30s. They were well established scientists/lawyers/cops but not like really senior ones.

• Options
    Magnus
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm going to stay with my assertion that the "who is in what body with what a soul" is really confusing because it kicked off more conversation in this thread than the actual release of Nona did.

Also, come on @3cl1ps3 , hair color? That was the key fact for you? All I knew about Harrow after two books was that she was rat / narrow faced.

Anyway, I just finished Gideon for the fourth time before launching into Harrow for the third, before Nona for the second and I forgot that Magnus (dedicated old guy) is apparently 38 (one year older than I am right now) and that knowledge is really putting a spin on the whole book.

I mean there were only two options and
    Gideon especially but also Harrow both have very explicit hair colors. If I had caught that Nona didn't have red hair that would have made things much clearer.

Also I'm gonna accuse the person doing the covers of making Nona on the cover look like she could maybe have red hair.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    You thought he was younger, or older? I thought he totally had 40, possibly 45 year old vibes.

I thought he was supposed to be older than that, like late 40's?

• Options

Yeah, I think that's a reasonable take, and as mentioned above, you have to subtract a bunch of years for everyone across the board, except the teens who seem to be on the mark.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Re: Nona and hair
    There’s some mention in the beginning that they have to keep cutting Nona’s hair and she needs to hide her unnaturally quick hair growth from outsiders. Which I at least took as confirmation that it’s Harrow’s body with the increased hair growth thing Ianthe cast to mess with her.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Yeah, I think that's a reasonable take, and as mentioned above, you have to subtract a bunch of years for everyone across the board, except the teens who seem to be on the mark.

Aren't all the ages confirmed in Judith's notes on the Houses at the end of Harrow?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Sure, I'm just talking about my initial impression from his dad energy.

• Options
    Doing a re-read of Harrow and I came across this, re: Blood of Eden:
    Before you'd left him then, when your tea had cooled sufficiently that you were no longer required to drink it, you'd asked:
    "What does BoE stand for?"
    "Blood of Eden," he'd said, slowly.
    "Who is Eden?"
    "Someone they left to die," said God wearily. "How sharper than the serpent's tooth, et cetera...Harrow, if you bother to remember anything from my ramblings, please remember this: once you turn your back on something, you have no more right to act as though you own it."
    At the time, that had made perfect sense to you.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    god is definitely mega evil and everything

but he'd still be a much better dinner guest than any of the folks in BoE

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Honestly Locked Tomb is kinda all assholes with a few notable exceptions like Cam/Pal, Gideon, Pyrrha, etc.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Before you'd left him then, when your tea had cooled sufficiently that you were no longer required to drink it, you'd asked:
    "Who is Eden?"
    "Someone they left to die," said God wearily. "How sharper than the serpent's tooth, et cetera...Harrow, if you bother to remember anything from my ramblings, please remember this: once you turn your back on something, you have no more right to act as though you own it."

I can't quote it but rereading Gideon involved a passage where Gideon contemplates whether Harrow has been murdered and says something like. "What if her murderer were like, weird? That would make Gideon's marriage to her awkward. Maybe they could just make friendship bracelets". So yeah.
    Re: God. I find myself relatively on his side. It helps that BoE is so fucking evil but also it's probably because God's crimes are for the most part so big that they are tough to wrap my head around. Whereas BoE's crimes are so much banal and grokable.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    "Who is Eden?"

I can't quote it but rereading Gideon involved a passage where Gideon contemplates whether Harrow has been murdered and says something like. "What if her murderer were like, weird? That would make Gideon's marriage to her awkward. Maybe they could just make friendship bracelets". So yeah.
    Re: God. I find myself relatively on his side. It helps that BoE is so fucking evil but also it's probably because God's crimes are for the most part so big that they are tough to wrap my head around. Whereas BoE's crimes are so much banal and grokable.
    What are their crimes in this context? The only thing I remember them doing is betraying the sixth house peeps, which is a dick move for sure, but not really comparable to murdering almost all of humanity and the solar system in an attempt to murder the remaining humans.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    "Who is Eden?"

What are their crimes in this context? The only thing I remember them doing is betraying the sixth house peeps, which is a dick move for sure, but not really comparable to murdering almost all of humanity and the solar system in an attempt to murder the remaining humans.
    A long-term scheme of tricking the rest of humanity on earth that they were all going to leave the planet when in reality they intended to abandon the vast majority of humanity to a slow eco-death while they left for greener pastures.

The rich fucks.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    "Who is Eden?"

A long-term scheme of tricking the rest of humanity on earth that they were all going to leave the planet when in reality they intended to abandon the vast majority of humanity to a slow eco-death while they left for greener pastures.

The rich fucks.
    That wasn't blood of eden, that was some rich fucks who died almost ten thousand years ago. Blood of eden is the resistance group that formed when space wizards showed up and started killing people and the planets they lived on. They are incredibly far removed from what you're blaming them for, as Augustine pointed out. There's a reason all John's remaining lyctors were working against him.

• Options
    "Who is Eden?"

The rich fucks.
    That wasn't blood of eden, that was some rich fucks who died almost ten thousand years ago. Blood of eden is the resistance group that formed when space wizards showed up and started killing people and the planets they lived on. They are incredibly far removed from what you're blaming them for, as Augustine pointed out. There's a reason all John's remaining lyctors were working against him.

No yeah I agree. John is bad but the deck is stacked hard against BoE in my like, the reflexive part of my brain?

Although the pedant in me has to point out that
    Some of what you said is technically speculation. The only word we hear of the initial meetings between BoE and the Empire is from John who could be lying but does say that they tried to claim the Earth as theirs. I suspect that the children of the cowards and rats who abandoned the earth were taught to believe their ancestors were heroes. My guess would be that neither side was particularly interested in letting the other side live.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blood of Eden
    I've been debating this with various other friends after reading Nona but I think it's really unclear to what extent BoE are the descendants of the rich who fled Earth and how much they know about the truth of it. It was ten thousand years ago, I think there's no continuity of operations between those colonists and the cells now operating against the Empire. I don't think they can be blamed for what happened on Earth