As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Parents are gone...I'm doing something crazy, and need some advice.

MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my parents are taking my sister on a trip to the Carolinas, and there's this guy that I was seeing in college that lives in PA (I'm located in TX, presently). Essentially, they said I couldn't go visit him unless he came to visit me first, and that probably won't be feasible anytime soon.

I plan on going for a Friday-Monday stint, I work and I've already taken care of most of this, nothings set in stone yet until I get dates from him, and I need to work out a gameplan.

1) Tickets are going to run me about 300 bucks, I'm willing to pay this of course I have the cash. There's only one problem
my parents have this habit of opening my mail, so they would see any purchases I made with my debit card --should I risk buying tickets online? I'm pretty sure that right away they'd be able to notice a 300 dollar purchase linked to CONTINENTAL AIRLINES and be pretty pissed

Is there any way to go to the airport and buy the tickets with cash? My mom is leaving town on saturday, so I could easily anytime during the week head over to the airport and my dad wouldn't know.

2) What do I do if I'm gone and they call the house? Is there any way to set up call forwarding? and then what if I miss the call? Is there any way to call them back so it won't come up on callerID on their phones? I wouldn't want them to realizing that a) I'm not home or b) I'm calling from my cell phone all the time.

I think those are my only two major issues, if anyone else has some good suggestion as to how to cover my tracks that'd be appreciated also.

MotherFirefly on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Question: How old are you?

I think I need a bit more context before I'm comfortable giving advice on this.

japan on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How old are you? Presumably college age, to have met someone while in college. I'm just curious.

Anyway, you could have the guy buy your ticket for you and then promise to reimburse him.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, my parents are taking my sister on a trip to the Carolinas, and there's this guy that I was seeing in college that lives in PA (I'm located in TX, presently). Essentially, they said I couldn't go visit him unless he came to visit me first, and that probably won't be feasible anytime soon.

I plan on going for a Friday-Monday stint, I work and I've already taken care of most of this, nothings set in stone yet until I get dates from him, and I need to work out a gameplan.

1) Tickets are going to run me about 300 bucks, I'm willing to pay this of course I have the cash. There's only one problem
    my parents have this habit of opening my mail, so they would see any purchases I made with my debit card --should I risk buying tickets online? I'm pretty sure that right away they'd be able to notice a 300 dollar purchase linked to CONTINENTAL AIRLINES and be pretty pissed
    If not I actually have a continental card connected to my dad's Amex, he probably won't notice the purchase since they're flying EVERYwhere the entire month of june/half of july. Do I risk getting caught by getting my mail opened and potentially never having any freedom ever again? Or do I 'take it' from my dad.

Is there any way to go to the airport and buy the tickets with cash? My mom is leaving town on saturday, so I could easily anytime during the week head over to the airport and my dad wouldn't know.

2) What do I do if I'm gone and they call the house? Is there any way to set up call forwarding? and then what if I miss the call? Is there any way to call them back so it won't come up on callerID on their phones? I wouldn't want them to realizing that a) I'm not home or b) I'm calling from my cell phone all the time.

I think those are my only two major issues, if anyone else has some good suggestion as to how to cover my tracks that'd be appreciated also.
    If you know when your mail comes that you don't want opened you could possibly put a hold on your mail while the parentals are gone. Just explain to the post office that you're going away (you should be able to do this if you can provide ID and all of that fun stuff). Then pick up the mail while the parents are out, take what you don't want them to have and bring back what would be normal. There's no way around it. You're in a delicate situation.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm 19

and it's not like I'm running away, it's for a weekend. I've flown by myself before (to/from college, various destinations). My parent's are just really overprotective, and old fashioned.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If your parents open your mail, why not open a PO box.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    out of curiousity, why not have him come visit you while the parents are gone? is there a feasability issue that keeps that from happening? then you get to see him, and follow your parents rules.

remember cash is hard to trace, so you could go to the ticket counter at the airport and buy tickets with cash, this eliminating the debit card paper trail.

neth on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Firstly, I assume that you're an adult because you've said that you've been seeing this guy in college. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have the freedom to travel wherever as long as you're paying the costs yourself.

Unless you've made committment to stay at your parents house for the weekend or something, I'm just not certain why you wouldn't be able to do this with your own money on your own debit card. Perhaps we could use a little more explanation as to why your parents wouldn't just let you have permission to go visit the guy.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you are still living at home with your parents, I would advise against going behind their backs to do something like this. On the other hand, if you're out on your own already then they really can't control you anymore and you can do what you like.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    yikes I say if you're old enough to go to college you are way old enough not to have anyone else opening your mail.

that's totally heinous and I wouldnt have stood for it at 14, let alone when I was of age

from the net - not sure how factual

" It is not a federal crime to take, open, destroy, or hide someone else's mail unless it happens after it was mailed and "before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed". 18 USC sec. 1702. However, it may be a violation of a state law regarding privacy in your state. "

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the best solution, if it's feasable, would be to just have the guy come fly down to texas to visit you, and you two can split the cost of tickets.

Please tell us why he wouldn't just be able to do that?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Q) Is there any way to go to the airport and buy the tickets with cash?

A) Doubtful. Post 9-11 and all that. However you could use western union. http://www.westernunion.com/info/osAirlines.asp

Q) I wouldn't want them to realizing that a) I'm not home

A) Get over it. There are THOUSANDS of ways they could discover your plot. From cable repairmen to friends and neighbors to your boyfriend sending them live satellite feed of you two making out. If you're not 100% ok with your parents finding out at some not-at-all-distant point, then maybe you shouldn't try.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    yikes I say if you're old enough to go to college you are way old enough not to have anyone else opening your mail.

that's totally heinous and I wouldnt have stood for it at 14, let alone when I was of age

from the net - not sure how factual

" It is not a federal crime to take, open, destroy, or hide someone else's mail unless it happens after it was mailed and "before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed". 18 USC sec. 1702. However, it may be a violation of a state law regarding privacy in your state. "
    That's wholly accurate. Opening mail addressed to someone else is a federal offense, though I doubt she wants to press charges against her parents. :P

Either get a PO Box, or get $300 in cash, go down to your local Safeway/Wal-Mart/whatever, and buy one of those credit cards that you fill with cash, then spend.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would advise against this plan. Even if your trip is successful there are probably plenty of unforseeable consequences. I think the best thing would be to have him come to you. The best best thing though is to wait.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Firstly, I assume that you're an adult because you've said that you've been seeing this guy in college. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have the freedom to travel wherever as long as you're paying the costs yourself.

Unless you've made committment to stay at your parents house for the weekend or something, I'm just not certain why you wouldn't be able to do this with your own money on your own debit card. Perhaps we could use a little more explanation as to why your parents wouldn't just let you have permission to go visit the guy.

Like I said, my parents are really overprotective/old fashioned. He invited me to come visit him this summer, initially my mom said "okay" there was no issue, great. Then she changed her mind, and both her and my dad said that he had to come visit us here in Texas before I could go visit him. They've made this really difficult in that they're both traveling alternately for ALL of June and 3/4 of July. So the first time that he'd get to come visit is really...end of july/august. On top of that he's working, and it's hard for him to get some time off...

I don't LIKE going behind my parents backs. They tend to smother me, why else do you guys think that I'm going to school in Boston? It's about as far away as I could humanly get, and they wouldn't be able to just "pop in" and check up on me. Freshman year was my first year to ever really be independent, Date guys, stay out past midnight etc, even go to concerts. They just keep me close so I can be their little "golden girl" I've taken two jobs here at home just so I don't have to STAY at home all the time. It's miserable. But I'm really not fiscally able to move out, plus their support financially for college really really helps.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What's the purpose of the trip? I think that should determine how much trouble it's worth to you. PO Boxes aren't expensive, though, and you can just cancel it when you go back to boston.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    personally, while living under their roof, and having them pay for school, I would live by their rules. If you are set on this plan, why not use the money to fly him out to see you - then you are bending the rules more than outright breaking them and lying to your parents. I understand it can be tough but if they find out you are going behind their backs like this is it really worth it?

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    First off, I'd say that you need to talk to your parents. That kind of invasion of privacy is just creepy.

Second, I'd suggest that in the future you might want to try and get any financial stuff(statements, bills, etc.) done online (I don't get physical bank statements anymore, since I had my identity stolen twice by former Royal Mail staff). They really shouldn't be going through your mail.

Third, I'd suggest that making this kind of trip, while attempting to conceal it from your parents, would not be the most productive way to begin that kind of dialogue.

japan on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't LIKE going behind my parents backs. They tend to smother me, why else do you guys think that I'm going to school in Boston? It's about as far away as I could humanly get, and they wouldn't be able to just "pop in" and check up on me. Freshman year was my first year to ever really be independent, Date guys, stay out past midnight etc, even go to concerts. They just keep me close so I can be their little "golden girl" I've taken two jobs here at home just so I don't have to STAY at home all the time. It's miserable. But I'm really not fiscally able to move out, plus their support financially for college really really helps.

I can see where you're coming from, but since you are financially dependent on your parents and living in their home, you have a certain obligation to follow their rules. If you make this trip without telling them, you run a serious risk that they will either stop helping you financially or else restrict you even more severely. As PirateJon noted it is quite likely that they will find out eventually.

Beat'd by drinkinstout.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »

Like I said, my parents are really overprotective/old fashioned. He invited me to come visit him this summer, initially my mom said "okay" there was no issue, great. Then she changed her mind, and both her and my dad said that he had to come visit us here in Texas before I could go visit him. They've made this really difficult in that they're both traveling alternately for ALL of June and 3/4 of July. So the first time that he'd get to come visit is really...end of july/august. On top of that he's working, and it's hard for him to get some time off...

Word of advice: Don't break trust here.

I had a long distance stint and the girl's parents insisted I go there first before she could travel anywhere else. It was totally inconvenient for us, but we sucked it up, I went out there and it went swimmingly. From then on her parents didn't mind allowing her to travel to see me and she got way more freedom. Heck, her mom even started giving me shopping money and sent me a birthday gift.

Do you think that would have happened had she flown off behind their backs? Not really. They'd hate me no matter what. Just like your parents will end up hating this guy if he allows you to sneak around on them. Whether their response is overprotective, illogical, or whatever, that doesn't much matter if you value keeping a stable longterm relationship with your parents AND this guy.

You're old enough to do what you please, sure, but you're also still relying on mom and dad for funds and support. This means you have to follow some overprotective parent rules. Play by their rules, have them meet this guy, and then once they see he's worth a damn you'll get quite a bit more freedom. I know, the wait will suck, but it's better than completely turning your parents against you and this guy if you value the relationships you have with both parties.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm gonna go ahead and say the opposite of what everyone else is: do it.

You're an adult, your parents are much happier having the illusion that they can treat you like a child, so just fly out there and cover your tracks well enough that you don't get caught. If you get a P.O. Box, just don't tell them about it, and get a second bank card that goes to that P.O. Box. If you decide to go with the cash card thing, your tracks are already covered, which is why I recommend that route. A third option would be to just have your boyfriend put it on one of his cards, then pay him in cash when you get down there.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Definately not enough information to advise whether to go or not. I'm with your parents on this one. Wait for him to come to you first.

As for the money. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try to hide the money trail if you can. However, your parents really shouldn't be opening your mail. I don't rememeber American laws so much any more, but from what I recall, it's a federal crime since you are over 18. Obviously nothing will come of it, but that there should be a hint that they shouldn't be doing it

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    I'm comfortable taking my parents money and living on their dime, but fuck if I'm going to respect their wishes.

If you don't want to do what they say, move out. Until then, you should abide by their rules. Sneaking off to PA is a bad idea.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Note: I'm not saying don't do it. You're a legal adult, do whatever the hell you want. However, be prepared for the inevitable fallout.

I'm also on Thanatos' side in terms of taking steps to protect your privacy, since your parents obviously don't trust you.

japan on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Serioulsy they're going to be gone all of June? and 3/4 of July? Seriously tell them you're going on a camping trip with your best friends. You won't be home, they'll think you're with trusted friends and they shouldn't care. There's a million things you could do to get out of the house for a weekend. And what does this guy do that he can't get a weekend off to fly up to Texas? Seriously do you wanna hang around alone while he's at work? And if he takes time off then there's no reason he can't come to you.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    Do you think that would have happened had she flown off behind their backs? Not really. They'd hate me no matter what. Just like your parents will end up hating this guy if he allows you to sneak around on them. Whether their response is overprotective, illogical, or whatever, that doesn't much matter if you value keeping a stable longterm relationship with your parents AND this guy.

This is an excellent point. If the rules are "he comes out here first," and you only have excuses, then there's some other reason that you or he wants to be out in PA instead. Many parents assume that "boy wants my daughter to stay with him for a long weekend = sex," and "boy wants to visit so we can meet him and see that he's not creepy = not just sex." We don't know the relationship details, and maybe it's all about sex or sex isn't even an issue, but if the reason he doesn't want to come visit is because he doesn't want to take a vacation day or two, that's kind of weird.

But if you two are just lovebirds and want to get together sooner rather than later, there's nothing really wrong with it. If your parents are out of town and you don't have any responsibilities such as dog feeding or whatever, the worst that could likely happen is your parents call you and can't get ahold of you for the entire weekend. In which case you'll have to come up with a believable excuse or similar.

I was going to say that I've done similar trips for people who amounted to little more than friends, but then I'm the boy and my parents are more liberal about it. The few times the person I was meeting was a girl, the parents were actually in a similar boat -- they preferred I went out there. In each case they really liked having me around and sex/kissing/relationships weren't even a factor, but I know how it feels when you just want to get away and do something a little crazy. Even if it's ultimately a pretty boring trip, it's nice to get away.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    A third option would be to just have your boyfriend put it on one of his cards, then pay him in cash when you get down there.

If I were going to endorse doing this trip, this is how I'd cover the money trail. Simple and effective. Plus your boy could even get airline miles that he could use to see you.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I know this wasn't the point of your post, but this is not cool, and I would work on this in the future. Whether you're 19 or 12, your parents really shouldn't be opening your mail. I'm guessing that you haven't really objected, in which case they probably just don't think you mind. My mom opened a letter for me once, years ago, and even though it wasn't secret or important, I got really pissed at her, and she's never done it again.

On topic, if it was me, I would probably go. Like others have said, there are ways to pay for it without them finding out. Just be prepared for the consequences, though, if they ever find out. However irrational their response might be, you essentially have no choice but to deal with it, since they've clearly stated their rules.

localh77 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »

This is an excellent point. If the rules are "he comes out here first," and you only have excuses, then there's some other reason that you or he wants to be out in PA instead. Many parents assume that "boy wants my daughter to stay with him for a long weekend = sex," and "boy wants to visit so we can meet him and see that he's not creepy = not just sex." We don't know the relationship details, and maybe it's all about sex or sex isn't even an issue, but if the reason he doesn't want to come visit is because he doesn't want to take a vacation day or two, that's kind of weird.

But if you two are just lovebirds and want to get together sooner rather than later, there's nothing really wrong with it. If your parents are out of town and you don't have any responsibilities such as dog feeding or whatever, the worst that could likely happen is your parents call you and can't get ahold of you for the entire weekend. In which case you'll have to come up with a believable excuse or similar.
    but I know how it feels when you just want to get away and do something a little crazy. Even if it's ultimately a pretty boring trip, it's nice to get away.

I honestly don't even know really what "we" are. We've been 'seeing' each other romantically since maybe February, he asked me to be his girlfriend, I said no. Later on we both agreed that it was too late in the school year to commit to something when the summer is 4 months of being...really far away. So, there's no sides or anything, it's just that he's not required to call me every day, I don't have to call him every day. But there's definitely that entire, once school gets back, we're on, thing...

I certainly think that he wants to see me, I made it clear that I'm not trying to pressure him or make him do anything he doesn't want to do. It's been hard to schedule a time for him to come visit because well in May he had to go to Kentucky for a weekend with his family--not to mention that was really soon after getting off of school. 4th of July he's going with his Aunt/Cousins somewhere, all of June either one or both of my parents are gone, then the week in July when we're going on a family vacation he has a get together will all of his senior friend called "Senior week".

So...yeah.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So do you even know what you would do there? I mean, if you two were infatuated and could occupy your time by simply staring at each other over a milkshake, that's one thing. If you're planning to go so you can see all the sights (such as if he's in philly or pittsburgh, he could show you around and you could both vacation and hang out with him), then going is more obvious. If he lives in pennsyltucky (the middle part), then you're going to be doing a lot of sitting around and being bored, which could ruin a relationship if you two aren't all that into each other.

I'm not saying don't go. I am saying don't just go because your parents don't want you to. It also sounds like both of you have kept a busy summer schedule, so it's not like you're just sitting around on the phone pining for each other. If you don't really know the relationship between you two, other than "more than friends but not really dating," you should sit down and figure out why you really want to go.

If there's a good reason to go, then dealing with the possibility of getting caught is practically moot.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you already have $300 sitting around in cash? If not, and they read your bank statements, they're going to wonder why you made a $300 withdrawl, regardless.
    Also, if he can't get time off to come to visit, will he have time for you when you get there?

If it were me, I'd save the $300... but that's me :)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If they're opening your mail, inform them, casually, that they are committing a federal crime, and that should shut them right up.

As to the trip: why, again, can't he come to you? Examine this question carefully. Does he simply not have the money, or does he not want to be bothered. I'm not saying you should be completely unreasonable, like your parents are being, but it's an important question to be asked here.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The fact that you are trying to hide this, tells me that it's not a good idea. You know it's not a good idea. So why do it?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    The fact that you are trying to hide this, tells me that it's not a good idea. You know it's not a good idea. So why do it?
    I masturbate, and I do my best to hide that.

Does that mean it isn't a good idea?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, I'm just throwing this out there, but if your parents don't trust you to the point that they end up opening your mail, I'm going to say that the best way to gain their trust and help alleviate this situation is, you know, not to do radical shit they wouldn't approve of behind their backs.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Thats a horrible comparison. You hide it for fear of embarassment. She hides it for fear of punishment. Also, there is the $300, flying to another state to see some guy aspect that just doesn't compare to you jerking off in a sock.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, I'm just throwing this out there, but if your parents don't trust you to the point that they end up opening your mail, I'm going to say that the best way to gain their trust and help alleviate this situation is, you know, not to do radical shit they wouldn't approve of behind their backs.

If she's already fucking 19 and they're doing this, the parents are going to be paranoid for the rest of their lives. That ship has already sailed.

Sometimes people are irrational assholes and there's nothing you can do about it. Welcome to life.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Thats a horrible comparison. You hide it for fear of embarassment. She hides it for fear of punishment. Also, there is the $300, flying to another state to see some guy aspect that just doesn't compare to you jerking off in a sock.
    And if I were hiding it for fear of punishment, that would make it not a good idea? It's a stupid fucking argument. I mean, there are good arguments for why this isn't a good idea; that is just not one of them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

If she's already fucking 19 and they're doing this, the parents are going to be paranoid for the rest of their lives. That ship has already sailed.

Sometimes people are irrational assholes and there's nothing you can do about it. Welcome to life.

Thanks for the welcome mat. So, I'm not sure what you are saying... she should do this anyways because her parents are paranoid? I don't think that makes any sense. Clearly there is a reason why she's trying to hide her actions and might that just be because she realizes there is something stupid about it?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you decide to go, tell some of your friends (that your parents are able to contact) where you are and leave a contact number.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the welcome mat. So, I'm not sure what you are saying... she should do this anyways because her parents are paranoid? I don't think that makes any sense. Clearly there is a reason why she's trying to hide her actions and might that just be because she realizes there is something stupid about it?
    She's trying to hide it from her parents because they're overprotective, and would freak the fuck out. Fucking duh. Goddamn.

Thanatos on