As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread - Adults Welcome

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Look out for sets where you can split the build. A good example is the Nintendo Entertainment System set or the Titanic.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Pulled the trigger on the shuttle for me and the Gingerbread village for my wife. Got some sweet sweet points. Also the Mos Eisley Cantina is currently in stock. Almost got that one but we have NO place to put it. Can't even display the big Falcon right now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    First time posting in the Lego thread I think but my wife is getting more and more Lego mad so I figure it won't hurt for me to keep an eye on things.

So far this year she's built Stranger Things, both Friends sets, Hogwarts castle, and had the Nintendo ? block and the Queer Eye loft arrive yesterday. I *think* she has the newer Hedwig from the 'HP Icons' ordered as well.

I'd ask you all to send help but I feel this is definitely the wrong crowd for that.

Really about the best thing we can recommend is find some sets yourself and join her.

But then we'd run out of places to display them twice as fast!

I've also just been informed she has Diagon Alley on order as well, and has one of the botanical sets at home she hasn't built yet.

Sounds like she has her priorities right.

The ? Block is awesome. Especially if the owner is a big Mario 64 fan. My wife built hers and it is way too cool! I just beat the game on the Switch and appreciate it even more. The engineering is impressive as well. I still can't believe they built it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    They are taking full advantage of that Nintendo license. I'm hoping they have a broader license and we might see some Zelda stuff.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    Look out for sets where you can split the build. A good example is the Nintendo Entertainment System set or the Titanic.

The Titanic she's not interested in so far, mostly feeling they've missed the oportunity to include a Jack and Rose and a door that could clearly fit them both. She's pretty fussy about how things get put together which I've learn from trying to help with jigsaws in the past so I think it's best I leave her to them and use it as gaming time instead.

Apparently the wishlist is the Everyone is Awesome set which seems to be sold out everywhere, the Valentine Bear, and the Bird of Paradise botanical set (to go with the bouquet she has ready to build).

The display so far (on a table built for a giant Disney jigsaw she's now putting off to build Lego instead):
    r6x81nf7pyja.png

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I really need to hunt down the hidden coins/stars in the ? block and see what they do with Mario & Luigi.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    They are taking full advantage of that Nintendo license. I'm hoping they have a broader license and we might see some Zelda stuff.

I hope they don't. Lego Zelda would financially ruin me.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Finally found a full box of the Marvel Minifigs at Walmart! Spent a few minutes squishing around and I have a full set! They're very easy to feel out this time, IMO.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Lego Metroid

The first set has some instructions you can't complete until you buy the second set and come back to it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Ordered another batch of blind bags for the Marvel Figures, that one never arrived. Post Office claims that they delivered it at my house (no, they didn't). So I came past the Lego Store and went inside and apparently they don't do blind bags in there. It was just "Which figures do you want? Cool, these blind bags contain the figures you want." (So there must be a way to identify them. Guess they have weigh them in the back?)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I found a handful of the Marvel blind bags at Target. Grabbed the first three without feeling at all.

Loki, Sylvie, T'Challa Star Lord. The top three I wanted. Go me!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I found empty bags for the marvel figures at work so sadly I know shoplifting is a larger problem lately
    But people popping open boxes to get the figures is a larger problem again than it was

• Options
    edited October 2021

The Titanic she's not interested in so far, mostly feeling they've missed the oportunity to include a Jack and Rose and a door that could clearly fit them both. She's pretty fussy about how things get put together which I've learn from trying to help with jigsaws in the past so I think it's best I leave her to them and use it as gaming time instead.

Apparently the wishlist is the Everyone is Awesome set which seems to be sold out everywhere, the Valentine Bear, and the Bird of Paradise botanical set (to go with the bouquet she has ready to build).

The display so far (on a table built for a giant Disney jigsaw she's now putting off to build Lego instead):
    r6x81nf7pyja.png

Guessing you are not in the US? Because they are all on Lego.com right now.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/everyone-is-awesome-40516
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/valentine-s-brown-bear-40462
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bird-of-paradise-10289

Edit: Yeah, I'm going to guess you are not in the US. =(

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

Hyrule Castle from Lego Ideas is currently under review, if you haven't seen it.

• Options
    Taximes wrote: »

Hyrule Castle from Lego Ideas is currently under review, if you haven't seen it.

Oof. It'll never get made like that because it uses a molded baseplate from the old castles sets, and Lego ain't never gonna remake those. (I'm sure they could modify it.)

• Options

Oof. It'll never get made like that because it uses a molded baseplate from the old castles sets, and Lego ain't never gonna remake those. (I'm sure they could modify it.)

I was sad that his previous one didn't make it.

Tomorrow is the next Ideas winners.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It'll never get made because it infringes on Nintendo's IP, for which Lego already has a deal in place. They've been pretty clear that IP will be a huge barrier for Ideas kits, and that IP for stuff they already have deals on is a no-go.

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    If the Lego and Nintendo deal were to include Zelda sets, I'd be ecstatic and terrified (because I'd go broke). I don't really think they'll make any Zelda sets though, not unless they find some way to "think outside the box" like they did with the Mario line. It would be the easiest thing in the world to make Mario Lego sets and mini-figures, but Nintendo won't do anything unless there is some kind of innovation behind it, so they had to gamify their own Lego sets. The NES was a fairly straight-forward statement piece, but it isn't a mini-fig scale playset. I think the ? Block is the most amazing thing I've ever seen and couldn't be happier with it, but there are no shortage of people on YouTube that are big mad that it isn't a min-fig scale set. I think by this point it's clear that Nintendo has no interest in just slapping their properties on standard playlets; they need to be new and different in some way. I don't think we'll ever get a Zelda theme that's just a castle or Lego-versions of LttP-style dungeon dioramas, that would be too easy, for lack of a better word. It would be awesome if they did it, either way -- just thinking about a Lego Great Deku Tree or King of Red Lions makes me reach for my wallet -- but I don't think they'll go for something so obvious.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

It'll never get made because it infringes on Nintendo's IP, for which Lego already has a deal in place. They've been pretty clear that IP will be a huge barrier for Ideas kits, and that IP for stuff they already have deals on is a no-go.

I just looked at their IP list and interesting enough Nintendo is not on it (surprising to me), nor anything Nintendo related.
    https://legoideas.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/356076-license-conflicts-and-resolutions

Of course this does not limit them from making an internal decision of not touching the Zelda stuff under the IP rule.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    They don't have Mario on that list either.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's different levels to licensing, securing rights for a one off is likely a lot easier (but Lego probably wants ones like Super Mario where they can do multiple sets, bags, etc). I think that we've gotten the NES and Coin Block shows they have a bit looser rules with Nintendo stuff (other than Nintendo seemingly hating Minifigures)

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

r6x81nf7pyja.png

Guessing you are not in the US? Because they are all on Lego.com right now.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/everyone-is-awesome-40516
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/valentine-s-brown-bear-40462
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bird-of-paradise-10289

Edit: Yeah, I'm going to guess you are not in the US. =(

Correct! Aussie here. The Everyone is Awesome set *is* available from an official seller, but they won't deliver it for some reason and the nearest store with stock is 29 hours drive away. The Valentine's Bear was sold out but might be available again? And the bird of paradise she's just waiting for a deal :) no shortage of stuff to build while she waits though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    First time posting in the Lego thread I think but my wife is getting more and more Lego mad so I figure it won't hurt for me to keep an eye on things.

So far this year she's built Stranger Things, both Friends sets, Hogwarts castle, and had the Nintendo ? block and the Queer Eye loft arrive yesterday. I *think* she has the newer Hedwig from the 'HP Icons' ordered as well.

I'd ask you all to send help but I feel this is definitely the wrong crowd for that.

This thread is an opium den full of opium addicts discussing how much they enjoy opium, what opium they're looking forward to getting in the future, new opium that's been revealed, how to best display or store their opium, and opportunities to buy hard to find opium.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    And suggesting improvements to make the opium even better.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Speaking of suggesting opium, does anyone have the link the went around in this thread (or probably the prior one?) to that Nebulon-B frigate custom design?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    New Opium Ideas results winners are in:

AM5NFHN.png
    The Office

JuWYUUk.png
    Jazz Quartet

oSCj51b.png
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
    (requires further review)

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/e7bfb82d-38ce-4c86-8ce2-d0f910c42d02

Brolo on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    WFSXyr1.jpg

and the ones that didn't make it

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I have to admit that those selections don't really do anything for me, but then there's a ton of variety of cool things in Lego and these will surely end up appealing to someone else. The Office one makes sense given the recent Friends and Seinfeld sets.

There's so many other good finalists, though. I really hope they step up their crowdfunding program.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Office set just doesn't appeal to me at all - it seems pretty bland, like the Seinfeld set. But then, I haven't watched either of those shows, and I do have the Central Perk set because I'm a Friends fan, so this feels like one of those "it's just not for me" moments.

The Jazz Quartet, on the other hand... I'm a jazz musician, so that is literally my jam. If I can figure out how to make the trumpet into a trombone, that one is going to be a must-buy.

• Options
    I really do wonder if the 10k barrier is getting a bit too easy to hit. I mean... there were just SO MANY finalists. I would love it if more of them made it - especially the more generic designs.

• Options
    I love the aesthetic of the Jazz Quartet. It would sit nicely on a shelf with the other musically themed lego.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i want more complex lego heroica stuff. like why isn't there better DnD cross-over with lego...come on WotC and Lego, quit letting me down!

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That Snow White set looks pretty cool. Not my jam, but hope it gets made.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Bummer seeing the castle stuff fail again.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    god could you imagine a Mario-esque D&D set?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i want more complex lego heroica stuff. like why isn't there better DnD cross-over with lego...come on WotC and Lego, quit letting me down!

Because Hasbro.

No seriously. Lego is the #1 toy brand in the world, Hasbro is #2. So naturally there's no way in hell they will ever work together (though I'm sure Lego would be open to it).

Case in point: Kre-O.

Y7OrtvAl.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    I really do wonder if the 10k barrier is getting a bit too easy to hit. I mean... there were just SO MANY finalists. I would love it if more of them made it - especially the more generic designs.

They could bring out some of the other sets later on as their own builds. We have no idea what they're working on behind the scenes. So maybe you'll see some of them eventually come out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What we need is a full on UCS Xwing and BWing!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    What we need is a full on UCS Xwing and BWing!

I don't have space for another UCS B-wing though.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Yeah, the Office set just doesn't appeal to me at all - it seems pretty bland, like the Seinfeld set. But then, I haven't watched either of those shows, and I do have the Central Perk set because I'm a Friends fan, so this feels like one of those "it's just not for me" moments.

The Jazz Quartet, on the other hand... I'm a jazz musician, so that is literally my jam. If I can figure out how to make the trumpet into a trombone, that one is going to be a must-buy.

I am absolutely 100% down for The Office. I mean, they've got Angela's cat!

I am also absolutely down for the Jazz set, because that is serious art.

This discussion has been closed.