As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Lego] Thread - Adults Welcome

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    it would have been amazing if they had made their big "lego transformers prime leak" and it turned out to be

eodwl70t652s.jpg

Rodimus Prime

"This is the only Lego Hasbro collaboration we will ever do. We hope this is what you wanted. All bridges have been burned so we will never add to this toyline."

ElvenshaePailryderdarunia106
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nah. A Lego Daniel would be worse.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nah. A Lego Wheelie would be worse.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    ElvenshaeDoctor DetroitBetsuniRaijuPailryder
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Just a white lego mini with a doofy cone shaped helmet? Maybe some kind of bulky shoulder gear?

Pailryder
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Although in fairness my Voltron just collapsed after being on the shelf for a few years, because the clips used to attached the black lion's front shoulders couldn't support the weight anymore. I suspect that the plastic has creeped (undergone permanent deformation due to a steady load).
    Please tell me more. I have my lions assembled and tucked away in separate drawers, but I keep telling myself "one day I'll rearrange all my BS and make space to assemble Voltron on a shelf". But, if having him assembled means that he'll break, then, uh, maybe I don't want to assemble him?

Would you mind posting a photo of what the damage looks like, if you have time? (No obligation, of course)

I've had Voltron in the assembled shape on my work desk for almost 3 years and it hasn't fallen apart yet. The shoulder joints where the arms turn are a bit stiff, but that's it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    HefflingBetsuniSatanIsMyMotor
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love that Optimus is what got the Lego thread hopping this week.

Poor Muppets.

He/Him
    Betsunirndmhero
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I’d be all about buying some muppets mini figs.

I am not about buying random muppets minifigs.

MagellRaijuKetarSporkAndrewAldoPailrydervalhalla130GONG-00Narbus
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I watched the Transformers movie so much as a kid that I memorized every single line and can recite it by memory to this day.

Coupled with the fact that I used to watch it while playing with LEGOS means this set was made for me.
    Was it? I mean, Optimus was barely in that movie... >:)

I'm waiting for the MOC that has all the battle damage from the final fight with Megatron

What, like all monochrome?

No, like the villian from Transformers: The Movie...Unichrome.

Athenor wrote: »
    I love that Optimus is what got the Lego thread hopping this week.

Poor Muppets.

Well to be fair the Muppets did get our blood boiling a bit with the weird random 6 pack box.

oosik_betsuni.png
    RaijuElvenshae
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

You give Wheelie sass?
    He will kick your ass

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

BetsuniHefflingDoctor DetroitElvenshae
    Ok so to add to the Muppets frustration I just got a 6 pack box from Walmart in the mail (I'm a glutton for punishment). Opened it and 5 out of the 6 in the box were not duplicates. We now have everyone but Rowlf. The duplicate was Fozzie.

Ok well technically it is a fourth copy of Fozzie since we have 3 of the same box before that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Elvenshae

You give Wheelie sass?
    He will kick your ass

I think:

You give Wheelie sass?
    Wheelie kick your ass!

works a little better, but I love it!

Librarian's ghostBetsuni
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I’d be all about buying some muppets mini figs.

I am not about buying random muppets minifigs.

I ended up just paying a $15 markup on Bricklink to get a guaranteed full set. Still works out cheaper than buying 4+ boxes.

BetsuniBroloRaiju
  • RaijuRaiju regular Registered User regular
    Optimus Prime looks awesome! Never thought we'd see the day that Hasbro and Lego would join forces and work together to create an official Lego Transformers set. Definite day one purchase for me!

On a side note, a shame they couldn't get Peter Cullen to lend his voice for Optimus Prime in the released promo video (no offense to Jon Bailey but an occasion this momentous deserves the original Optimus Prime).

Betsunivalhalla130
    Brolo wrote: »
    it would have been amazing if they had made their big "lego transformers prime leak" and it turned out to be

eodwl70t652s.jpg

Rodimus Prime

"This is the only Lego Hasbro collaboration we will ever do. We hope this is what you wanted. All bridges have been burned so we will never add to this toyline."

Galvatron: "This is bad comedy!"

BetsuniBroloPailrydervalhalla130
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ok so to add to the Muppets frustration I just got a 6 pack box from Walmart in the mail (I'm a glutton for punishment). Opened it and 5 out of the 6 in the box were not duplicates. We now have everyone but Rowlf. The duplicate was Fozzie.

Ok well technically it is a fourth copy of Fozzie since we have 3 of the same box before that.

Wakka. Wakka. Wakka.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Brolovalhalla130
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Lego Shia Leboeuf

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    BroloElvenshaeRaiju
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Lego Shia Leboeuf

PailryderRhesus PositiveElvenshaeRaiju
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wait, who's the character who carries around a list of the statutory rape rules for each state?

Lego That Guy

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Bedigunz
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Lego Store in Utrecht will still check the bags for you (with 90% confidence), so they got me a Kermit, Animal, Swedish Chef and Beaker for my nephews. Will post back if they were correct (so far they have been 100% correct)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    rndmheroAthenorRhesus PositiveElvenshaeBetsuniAldoSporkAndrewchromdom
    Brolo wrote: »
    Megatron has mostly been reimagined as a tank, based on his Gen 2 appearance, because of handgun toy restrictions in the US. I don't think that Lego would make either Megatron or Starscream based on their no-military vehicles position.

I think if they can get away with making AT-ATs and Clone Wars Gunships they could probably sneak in a sci-fi robot fighter jet, starscream doesn't really need to be a realistic clone of an existing military plane.

The problem is that the F-15 design is his "iconic" look, much like the red and blue cabover is Optimus'.

Starscream could be a possibility since Lego has basically made stunt air show colored jet planes before in their Creator line (one that bears a striking resemblance to the F-35 Lightning II and another a Eurofighter Typhoon). Starscream and the Seekers have futuristic sci-fi looking nullrays that don't really look like modern military weapons.

The main problem is licensing as Boeing may take issue with Lego making a jet toy that resembles the F-15 Eagle, what with the whole Bell-Boeing licensing debacle with the cancelled/recalled Technic Osprey (although it's been surmised that a major design flaw where the chewed-up gears mechanism for the rotors may be more to blame than Lego's licensing issues with a company that makes military vehicles).

But who knows? I lean more toward Lego Optimus Prime being a one and done deal, but let's hope Hasbro sees dollar signs and wants to make more Lego sets based on their IP. Bumblebee is the more likely candidate as the next Transformers Lego offering given that Lego has an existing relationship with VW (for their VW Beetle and camper van sets) and he's the scrappy young hero character that appeals to kids.

Brolo
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    If it does well, maybe Hasbro resurrects the lego compatible Kre-o line for Transformers

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Although in fairness my Voltron just collapsed after being on the shelf for a few years, because the clips used to attached the black lion's front shoulders couldn't support the weight anymore. I suspect that the plastic has creeped (undergone permanent deformation due to a steady load).
    Please tell me more. I have my lions assembled and tucked away in separate drawers, but I keep telling myself "one day I'll rearrange all my BS and make space to assemble Voltron on a shelf". But, if having him assembled means that he'll break, then, uh, maybe I don't want to assemble him?

Would you mind posting a photo of what the damage looks like, if you have time? (No obligation, of course)

Ok, I was in the office which is next to our game room and I heard a loud crash. I have a gate at the entrance to the area, so the dogs couldn't have gotten in and bumped the shelf. When I came in, I found his right arm and part of the black lion on the floor, with the right arm still attached. Only a handful of parts fell off, mostly from the sword.

The main body looks like this, with the grey clips on the side being where the black lion's arm attaches:

wxfv3e2u08x4.png

The front legs attached using 6 red clip pieces, as shown next to the red 2x4 tile in this picture:

8s0iyqsidx6y.png

What has happened is that the clips have stretched enough that they no longer provide a secure grip. The clips look like:

jyvux605bqqr.png

I could reattach the leg/arm assembly, but it would easily pop off. And in trying to do so, the other arm popped off with the same weakness. I couldn't get both arms back on and to stay on after about 5 minutes of trying, so I gave up. I could split it into the lions again, but I don't really have the shelf space. So for now I'm going to bag him and put him in the closet, to be addressed at a future time. I am confident that I can replace the clips with 1x1 technic bricks and use pins to secure the legs to the body.

In Voltron mode, the clips support the weight of the leg/arm assembly using only the bottom half of the clip, because the top half grabs but doesn't support any weight. Note that bottom and top are relative to the clips being on their side.

Hm. I'm trying to figure out how that happened... Maybe how you had the arms positioned?

So I went to look at my Voltron and how it was holding up. I think the different colored clips are just due to me looking at the other side of him.

xiOCgVRh.jpg

I remember this being one of the more clever parts about this model: The weight actually wasn't taken up by the clips, per se. I mean they definitely do. But it's more like the vertical load has the weight going to the box enclosure around the lower clips, more than the clip itself. It makes me wonder if maybe you had the arms outstretched more than I did, so that there was more torque pressure on the model.

Also it surprises me a bit to see a technic hole right there, but no pin used. Maybe because they wanted this to work without adding/removing pins?

EgNDQUnl.jpg

He/Him
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Lego Store in Utrecht will still check the bags for you (with 90% confidence), so they got me a Kermit, Animal, Swedish Chef and Beaker for my nephews. Will post back if they were correct (so far they have been 100% correct)

They were correct, nephews were very happy.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    AthenorElvenshaechromdomBroloAldoRhesus PositiveDoctor DetroitBetsunirndmheroMcFodderMegaMan001GONG-00valhalla130
    edited May 14
    Athenor wrote: »

Ok, I was in the office which is next to our game room and I heard a loud crash. I have a gate at the entrance to the area, so the dogs couldn't have gotten in and bumped the shelf. When I came in, I found his right arm and part of the black lion on the floor, with the right arm still attached. Only a handful of parts fell off, mostly from the sword.

The main body looks like this, with the grey clips on the side being where the black lion's arm attaches:

wxfv3e2u08x4.png

The front legs attached using 6 red clip pieces, as shown next to the red 2x4 tile in this picture:

8s0iyqsidx6y.png

What has happened is that the clips have stretched enough that they no longer provide a secure grip. The clips look like:

jyvux605bqqr.png

I could reattach the leg/arm assembly, but it would easily pop off. And in trying to do so, the other arm popped off with the same weakness. I couldn't get both arms back on and to stay on after about 5 minutes of trying, so I gave up. I could split it into the lions again, but I don't really have the shelf space. So for now I'm going to bag him and put him in the closet, to be addressed at a future time. I am confident that I can replace the clips with 1x1 technic bricks and use pins to secure the legs to the body.

In Voltron mode, the clips support the weight of the leg/arm assembly using only the bottom half of the clip, because the top half grabs but doesn't support any weight. Note that bottom and top are relative to the clips being on their side.

Hm. I'm trying to figure out how that happened... Maybe how you had the arms positioned?

So I went to look at my Voltron and how it was holding up. I think the different colored clips are just due to me looking at the other side of him.

xiOCgVRh.jpg

I remember this being one of the more clever parts about this model: The weight actually wasn't taken up by the clips, per se. I mean they definitely do. But it's more like the vertical load has the weight going to the box enclosure around the lower clips, more than the clip itself. It makes me wonder if maybe you had the arms outstretched more than I did, so that there was more torque pressure on the model.

Also it surprises me a bit to see a technic hole right there, but no pin used. Maybe because they wanted this to work without adding/removing pins?
    EgNDQUnl.jpg

I tested the clips again, and the right arm doesn't snug up like the clips from the left arm do. You can feel the difference, in that you can tell the right arm clips engage (resistance) but don't seem to snap back all the way.

It's fine, I think it will be fun to convert it to use technic pins instead. I've already ordered the parts.

*edit* I had the right arm bent at the elbow so I could turn the sword to be in front of Voltron, mostly vertical but at an angle. I had the shield held just in front of Voltron. It shouldn't have had excessive torque in either of the planes that would cause it to detach.

Heffling on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    god fucking damnit. my mom bought tickets for my birthday for her, me, my girlfriend, and my nephew, to go to this "Art of the Brick" lego art exhibit up in San Francisco tomorrow. We were all super looking forward to it.

Only for my girlfriend to test positive for covid tonight, so looks like we're out. =/

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I saw that exhibit in Chicago with a friend and I thought it was pretty underwhelming. So did my friend's 9 year old (I don't know how the 11 and 7 year olds felt about it). Big LEGO replica of something is a cool concept the first time you see one, I guess, but like... there are so many more interesting things you can do with LEGO than "3d pixel art." As it is, I felt like the sculptures in the exhibit could have been done by an algorithm. All the potentially cool stuff - like, how is that weight supported, what do the internals look like - is hidden away and not discussed at all, other than a line about how hard it was to assemble/move the 10-foot dino skeleton.

There are some original art pieces as well, but again, it's much more, "I am a sculptor and only the most basic, boring LEGO bricks are my medium."

Actual LEGO sets are far and away more interesting than anything we saw in the exhibit, tbh.

BroloDoodmann
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Got a Muppet 6-pack: Waldorf, Janice, Beaker, Chef, Fozzie, Gonzo.

Definitely need 3 of the other 6.

Betsuni
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I found the Buzz Lightyear spaceship. This thing is amazingly engineered. Plus the other minifigs would make great generic sci-fi bad guys. Very Mass Effecty armor.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

AthenorDoctor DetroitElvenshaeBetsuniGONG-00
    edited May 15
    Got a Muppet 6-pack: Waldorf, Janice, Beaker, Chef, Fozzie, Gonzo.

Definitely need 3 of the other 6.

Interesting. This was exactly the other box we got from Walmart. We have the other box with 5 out of the 6 you need (no Rowlf, just another Fozzie) if you wanted to buy them instead of having to fondle the bags.

Edit: You don't have to buy the Fozzie unless you really wanted a duplicate of him.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    The manager at my store gave me a look when I said someone had "helped me out" with the What If... line, had to throw in a "at another store" on the end. Very helpful with returning unopened ones though, 4 out of the 5 were new ones, now just missing Janice and Beeker to complete the group/hang out with the Statler quadruplets and Waldorf triplets :| I think I'll hit bricklink for them and an extra Swedish Chef, not pressing my luck after guessing right with the feel guide and returning those others!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I get why they do this blind bag shit, but holy cow does it seem like a needless complication.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    RaijuBetsuninwraberndmheroAthenorNarbus
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I get why they do this blind bag shit, but holy cow does it seem like a needless complication.

Greed? Is there another reason?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Actually, yes - because retailers don't want to be caught with unsellable stock. Look at all the minifig bag waves - there's always going to be one or two figures that don't hit. If consumers know who's in the bags, they'll just pick those figures up, leaving the duds as unmovable. With the blind bags, it helps ameliorate that issue, making retailers more open to carrying them.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Lego could do things like sell 12-packs of the sets that have 1 of each figure, which would avoid the duplicates issue and the shelf warmer concern.

I'm not a fan of Lego turning their stocking issue caused by their sales model into my stock issue by making it hard to determine what product we will receive. Loot boxes are evil.

Raiju
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Actually, yes - because retailers don't want to be caught with unsellable stock. Look at all the minifig bag waves - there's always going to be one or two figures that don't hit. If consumers know who's in the bags, they'll just pick those figures up, leaving the duds as unmovable. With the blind bags, it helps ameliorate that issue, making retailers more open to carrying them.

Yeah just sell it as a set? I mean the kind of person that wants the muppets likely wants most of them, if not all. So sell them as a complete set.

I would also guess the kind of person who wants the complete line would rather pay a couple extra bucks for the guaranteed set and maybe save a few bucks by getting three (that's the fewest you'd need, right?) perfect bags.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I mean, I get it. And a blind bag can be a cute little gift. But it's still loot boxes.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    My back ordered Tallneck has shipped!

If anyone else is in the same boat waiting, I got my order in afternoon EST on 5/1.

HefflingKetarBetsuniElvenshaeForarboogedybooRhesus Positive
  • delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ulysses space probe is redeemable!

BetsuniRaiju
  • nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    And now it says sold out. That didn’t last long.