Options

US Rental Eviction Moratorium Ends: SE Mutual Aid Action Station

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Wish the forgiveness number was significantly higher, wish education was fucking free for those who wanted it (and I say this as someone without a college degree - I'd be happy to subsidize higher learning for those that want it), but freezing interest is an undeniably huge step that'll help a lot of people get out of financial death spirals

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    As someone who hasn't been to college

How much does a bachelor's degree cost?

Varies depending on in vs. out of state and public vs. private. Four years of in-state tuition starts around $40,000, shooting up to around $160,000 for four years of private college. That is only for tuition, and only for a bachelor's though. Room and board, books, lab fees, etc etc etc are not included in that number, and rates for post-grad degrees are usually quite a bit higher.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fairly concerned the interest freeze wont survive the next republican president

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Wish the forgiveness number was significantly higher, wish education was fucking free for those who wanted it (and I say this as someone without a college degree - I'd be happy to subsidize higher learning for those that want it), but freezing interest is an undeniably huge step that'll help a lot of people get out of financial death spirals

I had to drop out of community college to take care of my terminally ill mother. For the first time in my life, I see a future where I own a home. I see a future where I fucking retire one day. This is arguably the most transforitive day of my life.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Where does... Where does all the tuition money go?

Like what's the number of faculty and staff salary to run a college cost vs tuition revenue?

I know cost of living is high and higher education teachers are often in a lot of debt too but something about that price tag reeks of some middlemen muscling their way into the process too even before accounting for the interest rates on the loans

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Like what's the number of faculty and staff salary to run a college cost vs tuition revenue?

I know cost of living is high and higher education teachers are often in a lot of debt too but something about that price tag reeks of some middlemen muscling their way into the process too even before accounting for the interest rates on the loans

Gold leaf toilet paper for the new football facility.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

No you've basically got it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I think that broadly it's due to ballooning administrative budgets with some places also spending a ton on sports but other places apparently running revenue-positive sports programs? And amenities are *generally* nicer nowadays on campus, but not enough to justify the extra price.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Student debt is maybe one of the most subtle looming economic crises in the western world and a lot of powerful people don't care if it collapses a country as long as they get to have a yacht

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

While this is almost certainly true, and while I know that Republicans can devastate their own constituents without any repercussions whatsoever, I am morbidly curious if/how they would bother framing the move as a positive thing for voters

"Banks should actually have more free money, and it should come directly from you" is a tough sell. They wouldn't be repealing a "hand out," they'd be reinstating usury. I wonder what their angle would be.

• Options

So the notoriously efficient free market strikes again?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

it might not, the president arbitrarily controls all of this so if one were concerned more with inflicting pain than being popular, they could fuck over student loan borrowers yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

So the notoriously efficient free market strikes again?

No one said the efficiency was for you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote: »

I had to drop out of community college to take care of my terminally ill mother. For the first time in my life, I see a future where I own a home. I see a future where I fucking retire one day. This is arguably the most transforitive day of my life.

Fuck yeah dude I am happy for you!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'm kinda glad I didn't go to college

Except the whole living the rest of my life on the stagnant wages of a decaying social program that at least half of the government probably salivates over the idea of gutting thing...

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

While this is almost certainly true, and while I know that Republicans can devastate their own constituents without any repercussions whatsoever, I am morbidly curious if/how they would bother framing the move as a positive thing for voters

"Banks should actually have more free money, and it should come directly from you" is a tough sell. They wouldn't be repealing a "hand out," they'd be reinstating usury. I wonder what their angle would be.

Was kinda wondering how they were gonna get people motivated to vote, since obviously they weren't gonna go with actual progressive change.

But "Give people more things to be afraid that republicans will take away" isn't the worst route.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

Administration and sports

Madican on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Definitely not to the professors, schools cutting full time positions and shifting classes to part-time adjunct teachers is an ongoing problem.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Definitely not to the professors, schools cutting full time positions and shifting classes to part-time adjunct teachers is an ongoing problem.

Functionally, schools are businesses, and they know that the product they're selling is one that it is very hard to survive in the world without

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Let me put it this way. A few years ago the board that runs Purdue university put former Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels in charge. He was the guy who mentored Mike Pence. This is his retirement job. The entire board makes over a million dollars a year from their job alone. They spent billions on sports related stuff, and building new dorms, but the dorms part is way over budget and way over time. Last year (and likely this one) they have students paying to live in dorms and living in basically an old office building with no walls or privacy because the dorms are done yet.

Oh and they have a thing going now where they help you pay for school, in return for a percentage (like 10-20%) of your future income, which feels scummy.

Basically big schools spend it on stuff that looks flashy and does not enrich learning. And to line the pockets of the "investors" in the school.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh and they have a thing going now where they help you pay for school, in return for a percentage (like 10-20%) of your future income, which feels scummy.

holy SHIT that's so evil

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I kinda expect the Democrats at the national level to fundraise and campaign on forgiving more debt

And again keep putting it off and waffling on it and doing the math if the fundraising from us poor slobs will offset the funding from the lenders until they have to make a decision to win elections

Biden campaigned on forgiving 10k and it took two and a half years for him to do it

And a president can just say the words and it happens, that's how long it took Joe to get close to doing it

(He still hasn't done it)

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The highest paid state employee in most states is the football or basketball coach for one of the colleges so that's part of where tuition goes.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    The highest paid state employee in most states is the football or basketball coach for one of the colleges so that's part of where tuition goes.

And also swarms of cushy admin jobs, like the one mentioned up thread

• Options
    Magell wrote: »

Yep, California included in that. Top 3 positions if I recall

• Options
    can you imagine that the university of california system used to be free tuition to state residents a mere 55 years ago, it boggles my mind

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I just went and looked it up for 2021

1. Charles Kelly, UCLA Coach: $5,730,000 in 2021, up from $4,313,333 in 2020
    2. Justin Wilcox, UC Berkeley Coach: $3,957,917 in 2021, up from $3,113,334 in 2020
    3. Michael Cronin, UCLA Coach: $3,851,667 in 2021, up from $3,606,667 in 2020
    4. Jason Roostaeian, UCLA Coach: $3,389,882 in 2021, up from $1,837,056 in 2020
    5. James Mora, UCLA Coach: $3,104,975 in 2021, up from $3,000,000 in 2020.

By comparison, here's the top state worker positions excluding coaches.

1. CEO of California State Teachers Retirement System: $1,661,151
    2. Phys Spec Anesthesiology, LA County: $1,375,000
    3. Physician Manager, San Joaquin County: $1,194,629
    4. Physician Manager, San Joaquin County: $1,189,341
    5. Physician, San Joaquin County: $1,142,048

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    School cost varies pretty wildly, it also can depend a lot of industry/focus.

Getting my English bachelors now the same way I got it in the past would cost me me around $14k (2 years community college, 2 years state college).

Meanwhile my wife’s associate (2 year degree) in fashion cost $65kish.

In contrast my bachelors in InfoSec cost me $3k and my masters in IT System Management should cost me $4k.

• Options
    Haha I cannot even check my loan because the site is crashed

Which gives me hope that it's eligible

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

2. Justin Wilcox, UC Berkeley Coach: $3,957,917 in 2021, up from $3,113,334 in 2020

@Nirya is your school still paying for fired Jim Mora????

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So how does it work anyway? Is it 10k off the principal or 10k off the whole amount including interest?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I borrowed ~ 17k /year for a UC 20 (?!FML) years ago.

That was like 3500 tuition and 14k to live in socal

My cousin went like 10 (?!Jesus fuck where is the time) years ago to UCLA and it was like 20k just for the tuition, let alone living in LA. Fortunately she got full scholarships and had rich grandparents.

Fuck if I even know how one would afford it now.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, I kinda expect the Democrats at the national level to fundraise and campaign on forgiving more debt

And again keep putting it off and waffling on it and doing the math if the fundraising from us poor slobs will offset the funding from the lenders until they have to make a decision to win elections

Biden campaigned on forgiving 10k and it took two and a half years for him to do it

And a president can just say the words and it happens, that's how long it took Joe to get close to doing it

(He still hasn't done it)

Year and a half. Only been in office since January 2021.

Edit: passage of time has been fucked for this entire pandemic, honestly.

ronzo on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    can you imagine that the university of california system used to be free tuition to state residents a mere 55 years ago, it boggles my mind

As with many government programs turning to shit in America, blame Ronald Reagan.

He became Governor of California in 1966 and "fought hard in the legislature to impose tuition at four-year colleges" and gutted state funding for the public higher education system.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Reagan's appearance in one of the more recent ish Wolfenstein games was amusing

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Madican wrote: »

Nirya is your school still paying for fired Jim Mora????

Yeah, cause his buyout was insane so it's spread out.

That said UCLA does not take money from tuition to fund the AD (aka there is no student-services fee that supports athletics like at many schools). It was a big deal a few years ago when the school gave the AD a loan to cover for COVID losses.

Edit: #4 on the California list is a doctor, not a coach just fyi.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    College athletics has enough weird/under the table funding mechanisms it's really not reasonable to bring it up as a part of the cost of tuition.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    College athletics has enough weird/under the table funding mechanisms it's really not reasonable to bring it up as a part of the cost of tuition.

Helps when the labours free

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Honestly even if players were paid what they're worth we'd probably still see it not requiring subsidies. There's Texa$ in college athletics

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

Honestly even if players were paid what they're worth we'd probably still see it not requiring subsidies. There's Texa$ in college athletics

Probably several college football programs that would be top 20 globally most valuable sports franchises yeah

Think of the branding value of Pole Assassin

Captain Inertia on