Options

US Rental Eviction Moratorium Ends: SE Mutual Aid Action Station

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I saw something mentioning that you can request a refund on your loan payments back to when they started the payment freeze, so if you’ve paid off your loans since the start of the pandemic you can actually get up to 10 grand of that back.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

It blows my mind that people still have no awareness about posting shit like this. It happens regularly how can they keep doing it?

Scions of priviledge have never faced actual consequences for their actions, so why should they care?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022

It blows my mind that people still have no awareness about posting shit like this. It happens regularly how can they keep doing it?

Wealth is a remarkable insulator against self-awareness

And just "awareness" as a general concept, really

Poorochondriac on
  • Options

Wealth is a remarkable insulator against self-awareness

And just "awareness" as a general concept, really

I would just like for her to maybe suffer some professional consequences for that considering she is supposedly an economist.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Sure seems like just cancelling it all would have been simpler!!!
    But that would kill the free money tree.

Joe Biden is a pathetic coward who has only ever cared about himself, which isn't surprising/continues a lifelong tradition of his https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/02/joe-biden-student-loan-debt-2005-act-2020

He still gets full marks from me for freeing me from a spiral of debt bondage. Until student loans went into forbearance with the pandemic, I had worked two jobs just trying to make any kind of dent in the principle i could. Shit sucked.

He's the one who put you in that debt spiral in the first place with how he made the loans unable to be discharged through bankruptcy like every other loan. He gets no credit for providing a bandage when he's the one who shot us.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm glad we're getting another half measure program that does enough to legitimately help some people while leaving others out in the cold, so that anytime someone complains about it being insufficient someone can come out of the woodwork to say "how fucking dare you complain, it helped me and/or someone I know"

Just like the ACA!

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    The heart of politics is compromise, and perfect is the eternal enemy of the good. Is the work done? Of fucking course not, but at least there's a first step.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It would be very cool if when someone says "it wasn't enough" the immediate response is "well it's decent enough what'd you expect"

Like, this will benefit me substantially and I've still been against it (except for the new changes announced about interest on payments for those people 225% poverty) specifically because it doesn't address the structural problems in higher ed. I think most people recognize it's a good thing but we have to push the powerful to get more.

• Options
    The heart of politics is compromise, and perfect is the eternal enemy of the good. Is the work done? Of fucking course not, but at least there's a first step.

That's exactly the response Speed Racer was talking about.

The problem with those compromise deals is that the argument gets made that we already did something even though it is objectively not enough to actually fix the problem.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It would be very cool if when someone says "it wasn't enough" the immediate response is "well it's decent enough what'd you expect"

Like, this will benefit me substantially and I've still been against it (except for the new changes announced about interest on payments for those people 225% poverty) specifically because it doesn't address the structural problems in higher ed. I think most people recognize it's a good thing but we have to push the powerful to get more.

And to clarify I've been against it without structural changes required by Congress that is currently held entirely by Democrats so like the "it's all we could do!" kinda doesn't work for me.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Did covid brain fog clear his dementia brain fog

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it'd explain why he wants everyone to catch it now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Man academic journals gonna get murdered

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

good-great.gif

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Her job is to sell this nonsense to people. She's paid to not have any awareness.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm glad we're getting another half measure program that does enough to legitimately help some people while leaving others out in the cold, so that anytime someone complains about it being insufficient someone can come out of the woodwork to say "how fucking dare you complain, it helped me and/or someone I know"

Just like the ACA!

I think they are actually qualitatively different, but I think you're right about this program and wrong about the ACA. I was on the "life radically changed" side of the ACA, and I'm on the "barely made a dent" side of the student loan changes, for full disclosure.

The ACA was both insufficient and a very good change, but I don't accept the idea that passing the ACA made it any more difficult to get to a public health insurance system afterwards. Yes they could have conceivably found a way to make Lieberman play ball or something, but I don't see how passing the ACA made it any less likely that we could get there at a later date. I've never heard someone reply to "the ACA was insufficient" with "how dare you". I have myself responded to statements more like "the ACA is an unmitigated failure because it didn't deliver universal coverage" with similar vitriol because like... it's not true.

On the other hand, I do think this action makes it less likely (in the short term at least) that Congress will do something that will solve the problem more permanently, because Biden is unilaterally giving up leverage by resuming payments. He could have instead said "we are going to indefinitely pause student loan payments until Congress sends me a bill that I find satisfactory. Here are some hints about my requirements, but I'm taking a page out of Joe Manchin's book and I'm going to refuse to explain them exactly so that I can continually extort more concessions from the Republican conference after they send me an initial bill."

Passing the ACA didn't mean giving up any leverage and had to be negotiated in Congress, sometimes you just don't get everything you wanted with your first bite at the apple.

This, on the other hand, was entirely the choice of the Biden Admin, and nothing was really pressuring them to act now. Absolute worst case they could have just added another 90 days. I also get the feeling that there were some extremely ghoulish discussions in the white house about how we need to restart most student loan payments to fight inflation, but that we need to make changes as things are restarting so that people feel like they are getting some relief even as what's actually happening is that we're turning the juice back on. Sure, lots of folks get lots of relief in this action compared to what was going on before the pandemic, but literally no one is in a better place than they have been since 2020.

tl:dr the ACA was a negotiated settlement which reflected what was possible with the makeup of Congress at the time, whereas this loan forgiveness action is a unilateral move so there's no excuse for it to give up leverage, and the forgiveness elements are definitely designed specifically to create defenders of the decision despite the fact that literally one guy could have decided to do more.

• Options
    edited August 2022

That's exactly the response Speed Racer was talking about.

The problem with those compromise deals is that the argument gets made that we already did something even though it is objectively not enough to actually fix the problem.

I think i was pretty explicit in saying that there's still work to do, and me personally will not stop fighting until college and technical schools are available to anyone regardless of their means.

It's a first step. A step in the right direction. A step that changed my life.

Guys I can finish my fucking degree now. My mother cried when I dropped out of community college to take care of her. I promised her it was going to be ok.

I promised my dying fucking mother I would go back to school and now I'm not going to be a liar.

Edit: also the ACA made it so I can get insurance, so I'm double insufferable.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They fucking called the ACA just the first step in comprehensive healthcare reform during their celebratory speeches right after passing it, anyone who tells us we're being ungrateful for demanding more are actively trying to avoid holding the Democrats accountable for their own rhetoric.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They fucking called the ACA just the first step in comprehensive healthcare reform during their celebratory speeches right after passing it, anyone who tells us we're being ungrateful for demanding more are actively trying to avoid holding the Democrats accountable for their own rhetoric.

Can we demand more and celebrate progress at the same time? It's not binary.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

good-great.gif

Oh you already saw it then.

The hazards of threads leaking into each other.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's not enough that students' debt is forgiven. Those responsible (govt and unis) must be punished.

Being able to lose student debt in bankruptcy would solve the former. And one answer to the latter is for universities to be partially responsible for discharged debt.

The focus is always on the students and individual responsibility but so far as actual responsibility for the student debt crisis it goes:

1. The govt who set the rules for student debt
    2. The unis who milked it
    3. Free space
    4. The students who were saddled with debt

If something isn't done about 1 and 2 the student debt crisis will keep increasing.

• Options

If you're capable of both, certainly. But for far too many centrists, any accomplishment means you can't tell them they need to be doing more, because now you're just being ungrateful.

Loudly insisting that incrementalism is the only rational way forward while refusing to start work on another increment after one passes.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It's not enough that students' debt is forgiven. Those responsible (govt and unis) must be punished.

Being able to lose student debt in bankruptcy would solve the former. And one answer to the latter is for universities to be partially responsible for discharged debt.

The focus is always on the students and individual responsibility but so far as actual responsibility for the student debt crisis it goes:

3. Free space

If something isn't done about 1 and 2 the student debt crisis will keep increasing.

I really don't see how "punish universities" is really a good solution.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Turns out a whole lot of those people claiming "no one should get loan forgiveness because they paid off their loans so everyone else should to" are having their loan information looked up.

Guess how many of them have forgiven loans.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

3. Free space

Universities are the ones who keep increasing costs for no reason because lol the debt can't be discharged.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    htt ps://twitter.com/ScienceInsider/status/1562826693366415360

who woke joe up

Turns out the reason they're so scared of "woke" was because they knew that sleepy joe would be terrifying if he were awoken.

(Dark Brandon is still dumb as shit but I'd be lying if I wasn't smirking at some of the memes right now).

• Options

Absolutely, the problem is that when someone says "this wasn't enough" the retort is often "it's what was possible" or "it was still good!" in defense instead of just accepting the statement.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    milski wrote: »

3. Free space

"Punish" is a harsh word but that's the meme format.

"Discourage/disincentivise" is more accurate. Or even flip it "universities should be encouraged/incentivised to offer affordable education." It's all the same.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options

This isn't even saying the quiet part out loud. This is openly admitting how the system was purposefully rigged.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Turns out a whole lot of those people claiming "no one should get loan forgiveness because they paid off their loans so everyone else should to" are having their loan information looked up.

Guess how many of them have forgiven loans.

Official White House twitter account getting in on the fun.

• Options
    Hahahaha they got the receipts jesus

• Options
    How in the flying fuck did Congresspeople get PPP money in the first place

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    How in the flying fuck did Congresspeople get PPP money in the first place

Because being Congress members is just a side hustle for them

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fucking yikes.

I guess I should have tried to get a goddamn PPP loan.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I guess they finally finished moving into.the White House or something

KGMvDLc.jpg?1