Options

US Rental Eviction Moratorium Ends: SE Mutual Aid Action Station

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    How in the flying fuck did Congresspeople get PPP money in the first place

Because being Congress members is just a side hustle for them

Yeah I knew PPP was mostly a giant grift for pretty much everyone who applied for it on a scale that I still can't believe not only happened but was outright forgiven in amounts far exceeding most student loans, but I didn't think Congresspeople would even be able to dip their hands in.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Biden admin watching the reaction to them doing things and being mean to Republicans like

https://youtu.be/1HkRYtjwUzw

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

It blows my mind that people still have no awareness about posting shit like this. It happens regularly how can they keep doing it?

If I have my wealthy scions of privilege right, she lived in New York rent free and got an opinion column slot via family connections shortly there after.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I dunno if the dems just emerged from the Jotunnsleep and are finally awake or what but keep it up I guess.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Might be they saw how everyone is responding to Fetterman running against Dr. Oz on a campaign that's basically just, "fuck this guy in particular" and figured out that it works

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    it's just

200.gif

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It would be very cool if when someone says "it wasn't enough" the immediate response is "well it's decent enough what'd you expect"

Like, this will benefit me substantially and I've still been against it (except for the new changes announced about interest on payments for those people 225% poverty) specifically because it doesn't address the structural problems in higher ed. I think most people recognize it's a good thing but we have to push the powerful to get more.

What would you have Biden do via Executive Order? Fixing systematic education issues is a bit beyond that scope. And sure you can say Dems control Congress but if Manchin or Sinema are against the reform then no they actually don't.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    It would be very cool if when someone says "it wasn't enough" the immediate response is "well it's decent enough what'd you expect"

Like, this will benefit me substantially and I've still been against it (except for the new changes announced about interest on payments for those people 225% poverty) specifically because it doesn't address the structural problems in higher ed. I think most people recognize it's a good thing but we have to push the powerful to get more.

What would you have Biden do via Executive Order? Fixing systematic education issues is a bit beyond that scope. And sure you can say Dems control Congress but if Manchin or Sinema are against the reform then no they actually don't.

Which party do Manchin and Sinema belong to again

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You don't get to talk about what a big tent you've got pitched and then blame everything on the clowns you invited inside.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022

Yeah see this. This right here. This is what I'm talking about.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

It's a running trend.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You know, the official White House Twitter account "dunking" on conservative Congress people who somehow got PPP loans or whatever is surprising, amusing, and probably worth less

For as much as Trump attacked the media, for the wrong reasons, of course, the media is a huge problem

This dunking on fools/we have the receipts stuff really should be targeted to the media, maybe it will be eventually, but even "liberal" or centrist news orgs continue to engage with the openly fascist GOP and serve up infuriating softball questions and then let the GOP people spew utter nonsense at best and white supremacists screeds at worst, completely unchallenged

I guess Biden is boring and doesn't attack the media enough to get the viewer numbers his predecessor did

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    You know, the official White House Twitter account "dunking" on conservative Congress people who somehow got PPP loans or whatever is surprising, amusing, and probably worth less

For as much as Trump attacked the media, for the wrong reasons, of course, the media is a huge problem

This dunking on fools/we have the receipts stuff really should be targeted to the media, maybe it will be eventually, but even "liberal" or centrist news orgs continue to engage with the openly fascist GOP and serve up infuriating softball questions and then let the GOP people spew utter nonsense at best and white supremacists screeds at worst, completely unchallenged

I guess Biden is boring and doesn't attack the media enough to get the viewer numbers his predecessor did

That may be true in general, but right now it makes perfect sense to focus on the GOP since they make it too easy:

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Madican wrote: »
    How in the flying fuck did Congresspeople get PPP money in the first place

Because after Trump signed it, he and Mnuchin said they were going to break the new law by not enacting the oversight provisions, which would have created the department that made sure people that were expressly disallowed from getting PPP loans didn’t get them, and that the funds were used appropriately

And because we were filling mass graves at the time, everyone said “fine, turn on the money helicopters, we’re not going to fight you”

As a completely obvious result, Trump’s family and congresspeople and ultra wealthy pieces of shit got millions in obligation-free money

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    You’re a fucking rube if you can’t wildly profit off a human catastrophe

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

For all of it's faults, I appreciate the Biden admin for not running off the Nazi playbook, regardless of how well it worked for his predecessor.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah they’re going for the Weimar strategy instead.

It’s a bold move, cotton, let’s see if it works out for them

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I think there's value in Biden attacking republicans, at least for encouraging his own supporters. I can see the republicans are pretty openly fascist these days, so Biden calling that out is encouraging to me.

• Options
    Label wrote: »
    I think there's value in Biden attacking republicans, at least for encouraging his own supporters. I can see the republicans are pretty openly fascist these days, so Biden calling that out is encouraging to me.

Trash talking them is entertaining, I guess, but it's not going to keep them all from winning elections, a lot of the worst of the GOP are in very fascist districts.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Label wrote: »

Trash talking them is entertaining, I guess, but it's not going to keep them all from winning elections, a lot of the worst of the GOP are in very fascist districts.

And attacking the press (that the GOP also hates) will? Biden is doing what he should have done on the first place, which is helping people, controlling the frame of the argument and shooting back against all the bad faith arguments of the GOP. That's far, far more important to settle a grudge over all the camera time Trump has gotten. The people voting for Biden are either the hard base (that wants Biden to shoot back) or the softer middle (that sees the GOP failing to provide a response that doesn't make them sound like a bunch of assholes). So far, is all benefit since hard to argue against actual action.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    I didn't mean attacking the press trump style

But the press softballs the fascists, while focusing more on the Biden administrations failures than they do on the successes, I guess, was my point

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

But the press softballs the fascists, while focusing more on the Biden administrations failures than they do on the successes, I guess, was my point

So are you saying the Biden administration should call the media out on it? Because I think they should, for the reason you listed.

If that's not say you're saying they should do, then what is it? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm legit just curious as to what you want them to do because I think anything they could do to help they fuckin ought to (not that you explaining your thoughts to me is likely to make them do anything, but you know what I mean)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

So are you saying the Biden administration should call the media out on it? Because I think they should, for the reason you listed.

If that's not say you're saying they should do, then what is it? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm legit just curious as to what you want them to do because I think anything they could do to help they fuckin ought to (not that you explaining your thoughts to me is likely to make them do anything, but you know what I mean)

Yes, I'm saying team Biden or whatever should brag about their accomplishments

And continue to go after dunk on roast whatever loudmouth GOP fools at every opportunity, but on camera too, not just on Twitter

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    dnc are broadly so fucking bad at media at messaging that i'm just glad they're trying

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

*ratatat* "You get a future!" *ratatat* "And you get a future!" *ratatat* "And your kids get a future!" *ratatat* "You all get a future!" *dakka dakka dakka*

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    dnc are broadly so fucking bad at media at messaging that i'm just glad they're trying

https://newjerseyglobe.com/national/megan-coyne-the-voice-of-new-jersey-is-headed-to-the-white-house/

Looks like the white house Twitter clapback stuff might be due to a new hire, so we may be seeing more of this.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

*ratatat* "You get a future!" *ratatat* "And you get a future!" *ratatat* "And your kids get a future!" *ratatat* "You all get a future!" *dakka dakka dakka*

Man, if only

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Fuck I wish I could vote for those people.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Oh, he's taking adequate measures to mitigate and address climate change?

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Might be they saw how everyone is responding to Fetterman running against Dr. Oz on a campaign that's basically just, "fuck this guy in particular" and figured out that it works

I want to believe this. I really do.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    negative partisanship is a big deal that the dems have ignored at their peril

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, Fetterman is running a good campaign so far, but also Oz is so bad, and his team is so bad, you wonder if it's deliberate and he's just grifting

Hopefully Oz doesn't accidentally strike a vein like fucking Trump and accidentally win

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Fetterman is running a good campaign so far, but also Oz is so bad, and his team is so bad, you wonder if it's deliberate and he's just grifting

Hopefully Oz doesn't accidentally strike a vein like fucking Trump and accidentally win

I don't think very many of us wonder if Mehmet Oz is grifting. We know he is. It's the only thing he knows.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I don't think very many of us wonder if Mehmet Oz is grifting. We know he is. It's the only thing he knows.

I meant his campaign is a scam and that he's hoping to fleece some donors and fuck off , that he has no intention or desire to win

• Options
    edited August 2022

For those wondering, that comes in response to this "analysis":

EDIT: Nate Bronze is wrong there because is not that PPP is bad, is that the same people that got PPP loans than then were forgiven are attacking the student debt relief, which makes them a bunch of hypocrites. Is obvious, but needs to be said.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Oghulk,

I get it. I really do. This is a temporary patch at best and does nothing to address the underlying issues that created the problem in the first place. I am both very happy that anything at all happened and very frustrated that my party is incapable of doing more.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You don't get to talk about what a big tent you've got pitched and then blame everything on the clowns you invited inside.

Why not? Would you rather we simply not have enough votes so we couldn't pass any legislation or fill any positions requiring Senate approval?

Single Payer was killed by Leiberman because we were in the same position on the ACA. This is going to be an issue any time we need votes because despite being in a nominally two party system we are reliant on our coalitions within the party.

All a non-big tent approach would do is have us lose to Republicans.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hell yeah here we go baby

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    hell yeah here we go baby

Time for the good shit

2x39jD4.jpg