As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [US Congress] Occasionally Makes Laws and Stuff

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    zagdrob wrote: »
    This is one where I'd love to be wrong and have it stick and buy as many days as possible for as many people as possible!

To me, this is the ballgame. This is the only thing that really matters; that people get more time so whatever help can be gained from the poorly thought out rental assistance program can come to be. That should be fought tooth and nail until it can no longer be fought. Not won, but fought.

It's vital that people don't end up getting kick out of their homes because of the pandemic. That happening is a failure state.

For as angry as I was the other day, I'm just thankful that something is happening.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Heffling wrote: »
    Brown beat Turner in the Democratic primary in Ohio.

Yay. A transphobe won. Gooooo progressives! It's really frustrating that US politics is such that politicians, at best, pay lip service to the plight of trans people and then when someone complains about it, they're browbeaten for not enthusiastically supporting one of the two major parties which doesn't give a shit about them.

When an election boils down to a choice between two Democrats, the conservative one will almost certainly win because Republicans will vote for that candidate over the more progressive one.

There are no Republicans in Cleveland, basically. To blame Republicans for this result is to ignore the actual problems the left has. Which is that too often they try to appeal to Democrats by hating the Democratic Party. This does not work, and it works less well in communities which are historically loyal to the Democratic Party and actually like it. Notably, the black community.

While this district will never elect a Republican, the Cleveland/Akron CSA is producing fewer dem votes (people leaving) and slightly more Republican votes which is why Ohio is now about the 17th reddest state instead of 24th, and is a solid GOP state despite being more urbanized than New York and California

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Yay. A transphobe won. Gooooo progressives! It's really frustrating that US politics is such that politicians, at best, pay lip service to the plight of trans people and then when someone complains about it, they're browbeaten for not enthusiastically supporting one of the two major parties which doesn't give a shit about them.

When an election boils down to a choice between two Democrats, the conservative one will almost certainly win because Republicans will vote for that candidate over the more progressive one.

There are no Republicans in Cleveland, basically. To blame Republicans for this result is to ignore the actual problems the left has. Which is that too often they try to appeal to Democrats by hating the Democratic Party. This does not work, and it works less well in communities which are historically loyal to the Democratic Party and actually like it. Notably, the black community.

While this district will never elect a Republican, the Cleveland/Akron CSA is producing fewer dem votes (people leaving) and slightly more Republican votes which is why Ohio is now about the 17th reddest state instead of 24th, and is a solid GOP state despite being more urbanized than New York and California

Voter suppression thanks to gerrymandering of the state house districts is the main culprit there. Democrats are still competitive in statewide offices but the legislature and election laws make a pink/purple state appear deep red.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Voter suppression thanks to gerrymandering of the state house districts is the main culprit there. Democrats are still competitive in statewide offices but the legislature and election laws make a pink/purple state appear deep red.

I cannot tell you how often I check to see when we get new districts drawn...

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Also, today Ralph Warnock and Ted Cruz teamed up on an amendment. The rest of the Senate was shocked speechless long enough to count as unanimous consent. (Tweet is from NBC News congressional reporter. The amendment funds a new Interstate corridor stretching across the south from Augusta, GA to El Paso, TX.)

...so I-20?

Like, there's already I-20 that goes that route, it just merged into I-10 a ways before El Paso rather than having a duplicate route through mostly empty and inhospitable terrain in West Texas.

The proposed I-14 route would run farther south than I-20 (but north of I-10), allegedly for the purpose of better linking the various military bases along the route.
    5644f65ca5c1a.image.jpg

I live in Alexandria, Louisiana for 9 years. The only reason Alexandria exists so it can be 2 hours from anything at all. An exciting Friday night there is going to Wal-Mart. There's no reason build an interstate highway going through there.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

In particular, a large segment of the left believes that having to make their case to the existent power structures within the Democratic Party, specially those built by black people, is beneath them. Their case is just so righteous you see, so people should naturally come to them and if they don't, they are ignorant.

Arrogant doesn't begin to cover it.

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    The race had nothing to do with dark money or progressive vs establishment or Bernie/Clyburn. Every national reporter kept pushing this bullshit narrative because none of them knew the district or history of Cuyahoga County politics (except Henry Gomez).

Shontel Brown has been present. Nina Turner has not.

Turner opted to go for Secretary of State after her Senate term was up in 2014. She got thumped and since then she's had almost nothing to do with politics in that district or the state. She was supposed to be co-chair for the state party. She was there for like, a month, and then went to Our Revolution and hasn't been back until now.

Brown has been Fudge's protege for a long time, on county council, and chair of the county party for the past couple of years. That gave her a ton of credibility and name recognition in the district.

Frankly, both of them were terrible candidates. The Marcia Fudge/Frank Jackson sphere has only ever been out for themselves. They've allowed turnout to decrease in 16, 18, and 20 in what is supposed to be a stronghold for Dems. Brown has been right in the middle of that. Turner has been an empty suit personality and in this race, basically a carpetbagger. She wanted the national attention and platform and she got it. But you can't expect to pop back up after 4+ years and think everybody is going to welcome you with open arms.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The point of that proposed highway is because there’s nothing there, and now there will be commuters who will spend money in these Black Belt communities (Selma is basically under the 14 logo in West Alabama for example). This is why Warnock sponsored the amendment. Cruz presumably because of how it presumably does the same for rural Texas.

Edit: presumably

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I have to imagine the eviction thing was basically a game of hot potato and the buzzer hit when Biden was holding it.

Yay that he's doing something about it, though.

Kind of? I think it's hot potato in that Biden expected Congress to do something about it, because in his opinion it should be a law and not an executive order. And I think Pelosi expected Biden to do something about it because she knows it won't pass the Senate. They just didn't communicate well, which sucks, but is also a thing that happens when there are a dozen other fires that are being fought.

Not... really, it's not like we're talking about an obscure piece of legislation triggering

I'm glad Biden is doing what he can, something that we had a dozen pages of thread with people insisting he couldn't do, or it was a bad idea for him to try to do. Every day he can buy is another day not on the street for thousands of people

I don't think anyone was saying Biden couldn't do what he's doing at this point.

Speaking for myself, I said that if he does it there will probably be nearly immediate injunctions based on Kavanaugh's signalling in the concurrence. And it'll end up getting struck down when it gets to SCOTUS.

I did say I'd like to at least see them try extending it, but also that since none of us are part of the internal deliberations or know what considerations / risks they are identifying it's not clear if they are looking at other paths or why they aren't doing it.

This is one where I'd love to be wrong and have it stick and buy as many days as possible for as many people as possible!

Me as well!

Can we admit that this wasn't 12d chess but at best a miscommunication between executive and speaker?

override367 on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I have to imagine the eviction thing was basically a game of hot potato and the buzzer hit when Biden was holding it.

Yay that he's doing something about it, though.

Kind of? I think it's hot potato in that Biden expected Congress to do something about it, because in his opinion it should be a law and not an executive order. And I think Pelosi expected Biden to do something about it because she knows it won't pass the Senate. They just didn't communicate well, which sucks, but is also a thing that happens when there are a dozen other fires that are being fought.

Not... really, it's not like we're talking about an obscure piece of legislation triggering

I'm glad Biden is doing what he can, something that we had a dozen pages of thread with people insisting he couldn't do, or it was a bad idea for him to try to do. Every day he can buy is another day not on the street for thousands of people

I don't think anyone was saying Biden couldn't do what he's doing at this point.

Speaking for myself, I said that if he does it there will probably be nearly immediate injunctions based on Kavanaugh's signalling in the concurrence. And it'll end up getting struck down when it gets to SCOTUS.

I did say I'd like to at least see them try extending it, but also that since none of us are part of the internal deliberations or know what considerations / risks they are identifying it's not clear if they are looking at other paths or why they aren't doing it.

Me as well!

Can we admit that this wasn't 12d chess but at best a miscommunication between executive and speaker?

I don't think anyone thought it was a Xanatos Gambit.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Edit: nm no reason to start this argument again
    In particular, a large segment of the left believes that having to make their case to the existent power structures within the Democratic Party, specially those built by black people, is beneath them. Their case is just so righteous you see, so people should naturally come to them and if they don't, they are ignorant.

From my POV I feel like the centrists just assuming they have the black vote while failing to get much done for black America for the last few decades, and even angling for 2022's messaging to be "Democrats stand with police" is... uh... ignorant

thats ignoring the fact that many leftist politicians are POC and one has experienced a good deal of racism from her own party

override367 on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The point of that proposed highway is because there’s nothing there, and now there will be commuters who will spend money in these Black Belt communities (Selma is basically under the 14 logo in West Alabama for example). This is why Warnock sponsored the amendment. Cruz presumably because of how it presumably does the same for rural Texas.

so they're gonna just run the highway right down the middle of black neighborhoods?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

so they're gonna just run the highway right down the middle of black neighborhoods?

It's most likely just upgrading an existing numbered US highway to limited access interstate standards.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

That's SOP for American highways

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It's most likely just upgrading an existing numbered US highway to limited access interstate standards.

Flipping quickly over the map, I'm seeing existing highways already there. Probably you just build some bypasses around the population centres. At least, that's what I'd expect anyway.

• Options

Yeah this is one of two primary concerns I have- there are ways to not fuck up cities with highways so hopefully that’s the way this goes

The other concern is /sigh still building for cars

But all that being said, it’s federal investment in the black communities in the deep south, which is always welcome

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah this is one of two primary concerns I have- there are ways to not fuck up cities with highways so hopefully that’s the way this goes

The other concern is /sigh still building for cars

But all that being said, it’s federal investment in the black communities in the deep south, which is always welcome

And I trust Warnock here not to be screwing over the very communities he comes from. Like Cruz is weasel slime, but I have no reason to suspect Warnock is anything but trying to help underdeveloped communities.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, this was just authorizing funding, there's going to be studies etc over what actual roads will be built/upgraded.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

So I live just outside of Montgomery and am pretty familiar with the area there.

Looks like it would converge with I85 in Georgia going into Montgomery (where 85 ends at I65) and from there heads to Selma and then through Demopolis into Meridian Mississippi.

Likely it would follow Hwy 80 (which runs that stretch from Montgomery-Meridian). Notably that is the historic Selma civil rights March location too, so that could affect that path

Confusingly there is also a HWY 14 that runs from Selma to just north of Montgomery and past that.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Since people have been discussing the route quite a bit, here's the actual text. It doesn't (directly) allocate funding. It creates a new High Priority Corridor path (which would indirectly affect funding), and the bulk of it is just defining the path. It's pretty specific in that it doesn't actually say existing highways would be part of the new I-14, but it uses a lot of "in the vicinity of" and "parallel to" existing highways.

This I-14 extension has been in the works since I-14 was first planned, so routes like the one above will probably be similar to this, but not necessarily exactly.
    Beginning on page 440, strike line 19 and all that follows
    through page 443, line 14, and insert the following:
    (a) High Priority Corridors.--Section 1105(c) of the
    Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991
    (Public Law 102-240; 105 Stat. 2032; 133 Stat. 3018) is
    amended--
    (1) by striking paragraph (84) and inserting the following:
    ``(84) The Central Texas Corridor, including the route--
    ``(A) commencing in the vicinity of Texas Highway 338 in
    Odessa, Texas, running eastward generally following
    Interstate Route 20, connecting to Texas Highway 158 in the
    vicinity of Midland, Texas, then following Texas Highway 158
    eastward to United States Route 87 and then following United
    States Route 87 southeastward, passing in the vicinity of San
    Angelo, Texas, and connecting to United States Route 190 in
    the vicinity of Brady, Texas;
    ``(B) commencing at the intersection of Interstate Route 10
    and United States Route 190 in Pecos County, Texas, and
    following United States Route 190 to Brady, Texas;
    ``(C) following portions of United States Route 190
    eastward, passing in the vicinity of Fort Hood, Killeen,
    Belton, Temple, Bryan, College Station, Huntsville,
    Livingston, Woodville, and Jasper, to the logical terminus of
    Texas Highway 63 at the Sabine River Bridge at Burrs Crossing
    and including a loop generally encircling Bryan/College
    Station, Texas;
    ``(D) following United States Route 83 southward from the
    vicinity of Eden, Texas, to a logical connection to
    Interstate Route 10 at Junction, Texas;
    ``(E) following United States Route 69 from Interstate
    Route 10 in Beaumont, Texas, north to United States Route 190
    in the vicinity of Woodville, Texas;
    ``(F) following United States Route 96 from Interstate
    Route 10 in Beaumont, Texas, north to United States Route 190
    in the vicinity of Jasper, Texas; and
    ``(G) following United States Route 190, State Highway 305,
    and United States Route 385 from Interstate Route 10 in Pecos
    County, Texas, to Interstate 20 at Odessa, Texas.''; and
    (2) by adding at the end the following:
    ``(92) United States Route 421 from the interchange with
    Interstate Route 85 in Greensboro, North Carolina, to the
    interchange with Interstate Route 95 in Dunn, North Carolina.
    ``(93) The South Mississippi Corridor from the Louisiana
    and Mississippi border near Natchez, Mississippi, to
    Gulfport, Mississippi, shall generally follow--
    ``(A) United States Route 84 from the Louisiana border at
    the Mississippi River passing in the vicinity of Natchez,
    Brookhaven, Monticello, Prentiss, and Collins, Mississippi,
    to the logical terminus with Interstate Route 59 in the
    vicinity of Laurel, Mississippi, and continuing on Interstate
    Route 59 south to the vicinity of Hattiesburg, Mississippi;
    and
    ``(B) United States Route 49 from the vicinity of
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi, south to Interstate Route 10 in the
    vicinity of Gulfport, Mississippi, following Mississippi
    Route 601 south and terminating near the Mississippi State
    Port at Gulfport.
    ``(94) The Kosciusko to Gulf Coast corridor commencing at
    the logical terminus of Interstate Route 55 near Vaiden,
    Mississippi, running south and passing east of the vicinity
    of the Jackson Urbanized Area, connecting to United States
    Route 49 north of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and generally
    following United States Route 49 to a logical connection with
    Interstate Route 10 in the vicinity of Gulfport, Mississippi.
    ``(95) The Interstate Route 22 spur from the vicinity of
    Tupelo, Mississippi, running south generally along United
    States Route 45 to the vicinity of Shannon, Mississippi.
    ``(96) The route that generally follows United States Route
    412 from its intersection with Interstate Route 35 in Noble
    County, Oklahoma, passing through Tulsa, Oklahoma, to its
    intersection with Interstate Route 49 in Springdale,
    Arkansas.
    ``(97) The Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Expressway from the
    interchange with Interstate Route 65 in Barren County,
    Kentucky, east to the interchange with United States Highway
    27 in Somerset, Kentucky.
    ``(98) The route that generally follows State Route 7 from
    Grenada, Mississippi, to Holly Springs, Mississippi, passing
    in the vicinity of Coffeeville, Water Valley, Oxford, and
    Abbeville, Mississippi, to its logical connection with
    Interstate Route 22 in the vicinity of Holly Springs,
    Mississippi.
    ``(99) The Central Louisiana Corridor commencing at the
    logical terminus of Louisiana Highway 8 at the Sabine River
    Bridge at Burrs Crossing and generally following portions of
    Louisiana Highway 8 to Leesville, Louisiana, and then
    eastward on Louisiana Highway 28, passing in the vicinity of
    Alexandria, Pineville, Walters, and Archie, to the logical
    terminus of United States Route 84 at the Mississippi River
    Bridge at Vidalia, Louisiana.
    ``(100) The Central Mississippi Corridor, including the
    route--
    ``(A) commencing at the logical terminus of United States
    Route 84 at the Mississippi River and then generally
    following portions of United States Route 84 passing in the
    vicinity of Natchez, Brookhaven, Monticello, Prentiss, and
    Collins, to Interstate Route 59 in the vicinity of Laurel,
    Mississippi, and continuing on Interstate Route 59 north to
    Interstate Route 20 and on Interstate Route 20 to the
    Mississippi-Alabama State border; and
    ``(B) commencing in the vicinity of Laurel, Mississippi,
    running south on Interstate Route 59 to United States Route
    98 in the vicinity of Hattiesburg, connecting to United
    States Route 49 south then following United States Route 49
    south to Interstate Route 10 in the vicinity of Gulfport and
    following Mississippi Route 601 southerly terminating near
    the Mississippi State Port at Gulfport.
    ``(101) The Middle Alabama Corridor including the route--
    ``(A) beginning at the Alabama-Mississippi border generally
    following portions of I-20 until following a new interstate
    extension paralleling United States Highway 80,
    specifically--
    ``(B) crossing Alabama Route 28 near Coatopa, Alabama,
    traveling eastward crossing United States Highway 43 and
    Alabama Route 69 near Selma, Alabama, traveling eastwards
    closely paralleling United States Highway 80 to the south
    crossing over Alabama Routes 22, 41, and 21, until its
    intersection with I-65 near Hope Hull, Alabama;
    ``(C) continuing east along the proposed Montgomery Outer
    Loop south of Montgomery, Alabama where it would next join
    with I-85 east of Montgomery, Alabama;
    ``(D) continuing along I-85 east bound until its
    intersection with United States Highway 280 near Opelika,
    Alabama or United States Highway 80 near Tuskegee, Alabama;
    ``(E) generally following the most expedient route until
    intersecting with existing United States Highway 80 (JR Allen
    Parkway) through Phenix City until continuing into Columbus,
    Georgia.
    ``(102) The Middle Georgia Corridor including the route--
    ``(A) beginning at the Alabama-Georgia Border generally
    following the Fall Line Freeway from Columbus, Georgia to
    Augusta, Georgia, specifically--
    ``(B) travelling along United States Route 80 (JR Allen
    Parkway) through Columbus, Georgia and near Fort Benning,
    Georgia, east to Talbot County, Georgia where it would follow
    Georgia Route 96, then commencing on Georgia Route 49C (Fort
    Valley Bypass) to Georgia Route 49 (Peach Parkway) to its
    intersection with Interstate Route 75 in Byron, Georgia;
    ``(C) continuing north along Interstate Route 75 through
    Warner Robins and Macon, Georgia where it would meet
    Interstate Route 16, then following Interstate Route 16 east
    it would next join United States Route 80 and then onto State
    Route 57;
    ``(D) commencing with State Route 57 which turns into State
    Route 24 near

Page S5695

Milledgeville, Georgia would then bypass Wrens, Georgia with
    a newly constructed bypass, and after the bypass it would
    join United States Route 1 near Fort Gordon into Augusta,
    Georgia where it will terminate at Interstate Route 520.''.
    (b) Designation as Future Interstates.--Section
    1105(e)(5)(A) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation
    Efficiency Act of 1991 (Public Law 102-240; 109 Stat. 597;
    133 Stat. 3018) is amended in the first sentence--
    (1) by inserting ``subsection (c)(84),'' after ``subsection
    (c)(83),''; and
    (2) by striking ``and subsection (c)(91)'' and inserting
    ``subsection (c)(91), subsection (c)(92), subsection
    (c)(93)(A), subsection (c)(94), subsection (c)(95),
    subsection (c)(96), subsection (c)(97), subsection (c)(99),
    subsection (c)(100), subsection (c)(101), and subsection
    (c)(102)''.
    (c) Numbering of Parkway.--Section 1105(e)(5)(C)(i) of the
    Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991
    (Public Law 102-240; 109 Stat. 598; 133 Stat. 3018) is
    amended--
    (1) by striking the fifteenth sentence and inserting the
    following: ``The route referred to in subsection (c)(84)(A)
    is designated as Interstate Route I-14 North. The route
    referred to in subsection (c)(84)(B) is designated as
    Interstate Route I-14 South. The Bryan/College Station, Texas
    loop referred to in subsection (c)(84)(C) is designated as
    Interstate Route I-214.''; and
    (2) by adding at the end the following: ``The route
    referred to in subsection (c)(97) is designated as Interstate
    Route I-365. The routes referred to in subsections
    (c)(84)(C), (c)(99), (c)(100), (c)(101), and (c)(102) are
    designated as Interstate Route I-14. The routes referred to
    in subparagraphs (D), (E), (F), and (G) of subsection (c)(84)
    and subparagraph (B) of subsection (c)(100) shall each be
    given separate Interstate route numbers.''.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    `(101) The Middle Alabama Corridor including the route--
    ``(A) beginning at the Alabama-Mississippi border generally
    following portions of I-20 until following a new interstate
    extension paralleling United States Highway 80,
    specifically--
    ``(B) crossing Alabama Route 28 near Coatopa, Alabama,
    traveling eastward crossing United States Highway 43 and
    Alabama Route 69 near Selma, Alabama, traveling eastwards
    closely paralleling United States Highway 80 to the south
    crossing over Alabama Routes 22, 41, and 21, until its
    intersection with I-65 near Hope Hull, Alabama;
    ``(C) continuing east along the proposed Montgomery Outer
    Loop south of Montgomery, Alabama where it would next join
    with I-85 east of Montgomery, Alabama;
    ``(D) continuing along I-85 east bound until its
    intersection with United States Highway 280 near Opelika,
    Alabama or United States Highway 80 near Tuskegee, Alabama;

Lol, called it.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Edit: nm no reason to start this argument again

From my POV I feel like the centrists just assuming they have the black vote while failing to get much done for black America for the last few decades, and even angling for 2022's messaging to be "Democrats stand with police" is... uh... ignorant

thats ignoring the fact that many leftist politicians are POC and one has experienced a good deal of racism from her own party

None of that actually says why they can't work with existent power structures created by Black people, like, for example, the very public and very damaging fights with the Congressional Black Caucus, like the primary being discussed at the moment.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I mean the CBC has a very specific political bend that involves more than just representing African Americans. There's no shortage of young lefter leaning black activists who disdain their closer to center politics.

So the question of "why cant they work within existing structure" has the same answer it often does when it comes up, "because the existing structure opposes them"

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I mean the CBC has a very specific political bend that involves more than just representing African Americans. There's no shortage of young lefter leaning black activists who disdain their closer to center politics.

So the question of "why cant they work within existing structure" has the same answer it often does when it comes up, "because the existing structure opposes them"

That's a point of view. Another point of view is that directly picking fights with said existing structures, instead of working within them, makes the people that worked for those structures and to elect the politicians on them not wanting to work with you. Like, for example, not going out of your way to be antagonistic against Clyburn.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

That's a point of view. Another point of view is that directly picking fights with said existing structures, instead of working within them, makes the people that worked for those structures and to elect the politicians on them not wanting to work with you. Like, for example, not going out of your way to be antagonistic against Clyburn.

Maybe, but Im not sure how avoidable it is either. Its not like Clyburn only comes out to campaign for the moderate candidates if you insult him.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    What I'm saying is that, quite simply, a big anti-establishment movement won't have the same success that it had on the GOP, since it worked on the GOP thanks to going against an establishment utterly discredited for being the authors of one of, if not the, biggest foreign policy blunder on the history of the United States. Specially not after 4 years of Trump's populist adventures.

The Dem establishment was willing to let Obama lead the country and the party. Is an entirely different playground.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    What I'm saying is that, quite simply, a big anti-establishment movement won't have the same success that it had on the GOP, since it worked on the GOP thanks to going against an establishment utterly discredited for being the authors of one of, if not the, biggest foreign policy blunder on the history of the United States. Specially not after 4 years of Trump's populist adventures.

The Dem establishment was willing to let Obama lead the country and the party. Is an entirely different playground.

Was the anti establishment take over of the GOP due to Iraq? Was there even an anti establishment movement?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I feel like this debate is skirting past a decades long history of factional struggle within the party. Like, none of this is a particularly new thing.

Back in the day it was like progressives versus the DLC/Third Wayers. Now it’s Leftists versus moderates. The moderates we have today were born out of that DLC type of Democrat that became the establishment around Clinton’s tenure, so of course any faction seeking to change the internal power dynamic of the party is going to be butting heads with them, so it’s less a matter of “running against the party” unless you presume one faction only of democrats has a right to it.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's been awhile, but wasn't the teaper movement initially a backlash against wallstreet and big business caused by the financial meltdown of 2008, until it was quickly co-opted by conservative media and turned into a right-wing populist movement?

• Options
    It's been awhile, but wasn't the teaper movement initially a backlash against wallstreet and big business caused by the financial meltdown of 2008, until it was quickly co-opted by conservative media and turned into a right-wing populist movement?

I don’t remember it ever being populist; first historic element I remember is a financial asshole on CNBC calling for a new tea party against the folks getting evicted for taking loans

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I do remember that they called themselves teabaggers for a brief but glorious moment.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Maybe, but Im not sure how avoidable it is either. Its not like Clyburn only comes out to campaign for the moderate candidates if you insult him.

Clyburn most likely wouldn't have gotten involved, otherwise

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

No. It was inspired by a stockbroker and was astroturf from the start.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Literally gave an interview where he said that.

https://www.axios.com/jim-clyburn-ohio-progressives-b2f2ec04-a5be-49bd-9227-b746cd46df48.html

But how much Clyburn's involvement changed the race is anyones guess. Connie Schultz, Sherrod Brown's wife said the race was not what national pundits wanted it to be, it was always a local election with local matters at its heart.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Do you think so? He seems pretty content in the kingmaker role tbh.

I mean I know what he said in the axios interview. He was only even brought up in the race to begin with because of his role as moderate king maker.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Like....same interview he gives several other moderates facing left wing challenges he plans on supporting in their primaries.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I mean I know what he said in the axios interview. He was only even brought up in the race to begin with because of his role as moderate king maker.

I don't think he particularly gave a shit about a safe seat special election in Ohio.

• Options

No. It was inspired by a stockbroker and was astroturf from the start.

Here’s the clip I think; I forgot it was Santelli:

https://youtu.be/zp-Jw-5Kx8k

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I don't think he particularly gave a shit about a safe seat special election in Ohio.

Like I pointed out, same interview he expressed his intention to support moderates in their primaries. NY12 is D+34 and he calls that out specifically as one of them.

All this is to say, the systems in place are not politically neutral, your ability to work within them are limited to your ability to either work within their frame or suborn them.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Was the anti establishment take over of the GOP due to Iraq? Was there even an anti establishment movement?

The base preferred Palin over McCain. Mostly because he dared to state that Obama wasn't some blood-drinking terrorist sympathizer.

The base never accepted Romney as being one of them, wither. He stank of "elitism" and used too many big words, too polished. Trump, despite being rich and entitled as fuck, always came across as to the base as "one of them", mostly because he was a crude jackass they thought they could emulate.

This discussion has been closed.