As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Suicide Squad is going to blow your mind [open spoilers]

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    So glad I decided to watch this and went in blind. When the first act sets up “Project Starfish” as some catastrophic weapon, it sounds exactly like the kind of macguffin that would be in any other bland superhero movie. The reveal that it’s a literal giant starfish was incredible. And at that point I was still coming down off seeing Peter Capaldi with a bunch of electrodes sticking out of his brain. God, I had genuinely forgotten that superheroes can be fun

if i didn't know it was starro, i would have wanted project starfish to be
    3i8hjpjzrtpb.jpg

7656367.jpg
    Garlic Breadironsizide
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So glad I decided to watch this and went in blind. When the first act sets up “Project Starfish” as some catastrophic weapon, it sounds exactly like the kind of macguffin that would be in any other bland superhero movie. The reveal that it’s a literal giant starfish was incredible. And at that point I was still coming down off seeing Peter Capaldi with a bunch of electrodes sticking out of his brain. God, I had genuinely forgotten that superheroes can be fun

3i8hjpjzrtpb.jpg

I will go to my grave convinced the "starfish is a term for butthole" joke was referencing this album.

The Lovely BastardMagellGarlic Breadwebguy20ironsizideCarpynever dieBucketmanDyvim Tvar
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    What helped sell TDK's scene is how serious his expression was as he wiggled his shoulders vaguely in the direction of the enemy.

3cl1ps3Librarian's ghostjkylefultonMvrckOlivawironsizideMatevDark Raven XMunkus BeaverSnicketysnickBucketman
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

3i8hjpjzrtpb.jpg

I will go to my grave convinced the "starfish is a term for butthole" joke was referencing this album.

oh it *absolutely* was

7656367.jpg
    3cl1ps3Sweeney TomBucketmanMidniteDyvim Tvar
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Now I know y'all be lovin' this shit right here - James Gunn

MaddocZonugalBucketman
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Limp Bizkit did not invent starfish as slang for butthole.

Fred Durst set the standard for punchable faces in the early 2000s but that's a separate manner.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Mysst
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I actually saw criticism online that the movie wasn't anti-US enough, likened the rebels to the Contras, and called the movie misogynistic because the female characters didn't start caring about all the violence going on until babies were in peril.

I'm not certain how serious or not said takes were, but I am darkly curious regarding political takes about a movie called The Suicide Squad where lots and lots of people are gleefully killed
    including the rebels at one point, before the protagonists know who they are.

Also, what exactly is Harley's deal now? I like her, but it kinda felt like she could have just as easily not been in this movie to focus on the other characters more.

Hexmage-PA on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I actually saw criticism online that the movie wasn't anti-US enough, likened the rebels to the Contras, and called the movie misogynistic because the female characters didn't start caring about all the violence going on until babies were in peril.

I'm not certain how serious or not said takes were, but I am darkly curious regarding political takes about a movie called The Suicide Squad where lots and lots of people are gleefully killed
    including the rebels at one point, before the protagonists know who they are.

Also, what exactly is Harley's deal now? I like her, but it kinda felt like she could have just as easily not been in this movie to focus on the other characters more.

she had road rage. in a bank

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Raijin QuickfootZonugalLadaiMatevKanaA Dabble Of Theloniusnever dieBucketmandarunia106
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Harley's off for her next movie/road rage in a bank incident, whether or not she's in another Suicide Squad movie is probably very much up in the air at this point. Also I think she was basically there to tie this together into the larger DCCU. "See! This is the same universe!"

Anyways, who do we wanna see in the next Suicide Squad movie? I'd love to see Poison Ivy personally.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    she was there because people like the character and she's fun, and the movie is more fun with her in it

rhylithMaddocRaijin QuickfootGarlic BreadMysstshoeboxjeddyMagellCentipede DamascusPoorochondriacOlivaw3cl1ps3ironsizideZonugalLadaiMatevAbsurdPropositionKanaSweeney TomSnicketysnickOne Thousand CablesGnizmoWheatBun01never dieBucketmanDyvim Tvardarunia106
    there really isn't a huge mystery behind someone from suicide squad 1 being in suicide squad 2

7656367.jpg
    Grey GhostRaijin QuickfootMysstMagellMaddocPoorochondriacOlivaw3cl1ps3ZonugalLadaiMatevSweeney TomSnicketysnicknever dieBucketmanDyvim TvarTransporterdarunia106manwiththemachinegun
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Poison Ivy's too big of a name for Suicide Squad, I think, you gotta go smaller time so people will think you'll actually kill them off.

MaddocOlivawZonugalMatevMunkus Beavernever dieBucketmanCidTheSquiddarunia106LordSolarMacharius
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Poison Ivy's too big of a name for Suicide Squad, I think, you gotta go smaller time so people will think you'll actually kill them off.

Condiment King

A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    90% of the villains in that Young Justice show could be in a Suicide Squad movie

Munkus BeaverAbsurdPropositionSweeney TomBucketman
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I mean maybe, but Poison Ivy was last on the big screen when Batman and Robin came out. Might be time to fix that.

edit: other acceptable Batman villains could be; Mad Hatter, Catwoman, Scarecrow, Deathstroke, Clock King, Firefly, or Victor Zsasz.

Trace on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    poison ivy should be in the next harley quinn movie so they can kiss

The Lovely BastardMagellStraightziPoorochondriacwebguy20OdinRaijin QuickfootOlivaw3cl1ps3Hexmage-PADJ EebsironsizideEmperorSethZonugalToxCarpyMvrckMatevDark Raven XKanaSweeney TomSnicketysnickGnizmoWheatBun01DrZiplocknever dieFCDAtari SoulMacro9#pipeBucketmanMidniteDyvim TvarCidTheSquiddarunia106
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    They're not going to put Poison Ivy in Suicide Squad 3, because they're saving her for Harley Quinn 2

Or as I've named it in my head

Harley Quinn, the Heart-Pounding, Earth-Shaking, Once-in-a-Lifetime Romance with Ms. Dr. Pamela Isley, and the Birds of Prey, Too

MagellPoorochondriacKane Red RobeChallwebguy20Raijin Quickfoot3cl1ps3ironsizideZonugalThe Lovely BastardMvrckMatevSweeney TomA Dabble Of TheloniusGnizmoDrZiplockDoodmannnever dieFCDBucketmanDyvim TvarTransporterdarunia106
    I can't picture them using Poison Ivy in 2021 in any project that Quinn isn't involved with I mean it's the sort of naked incompetence I've grown to suspect from WB but it's hard to fathom.

Also if they can get all the players together, a Suicide Squad movie where you have a Will Smith lead team working against Idris Elba led team could be fun.

Especially if you weaponize Harleys "Safe" status and have her switch sides multiple times to give one team or another narrative inertia.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Was coming up with my list when I realized I was basically just making a Creature Commandos movie instead

Though I was thinking like... Anthony Lupus, Solomon Grundy, Nocturna, Khalis...

Bucketman
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Would Prometheus be too big? Clayface as a heavy?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I would love for Clayface to make it into a movie

MaddocOlivawjkylefultonMagellPoorochondriacDepressperadoOdinastrobstrdmrpakuZonugalMatevSweeney TomSnicketysnickKane Red RobeA Dabble Of TheloniusKevin Cristnever dieAtari SoulBucketmanMidniteTransporterCidTheSquiddarunia106LordSolarMacharius
    I just want a Batman movie series that's not afraid to do Clayface as a villain

DepressperadoLadaiBucketman
    the ultimate fanservice would be casting grant morrison to play themselves in a suicide squad movie

anyway, give me kgbeast

7656367.jpg
    StraightzimrpakuCentipede DamascusDex DynamoDoodmannBucketmanMidniteDyvim Tvar
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Lars wrote: »
    What helped sell TDK's scene is how serious his expression was as he wiggled his shoulders vaguely in the direction of the enemy.

You get Nathan Filion, you're gonna get good body/face language

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

That was Nathan Filion?

AbsurdProposition
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

That was Nathan Filion?

it absolutely was

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    manwiththemachinegun
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

I mean maybe, but Poison Ivy was last on the big screen when Batman and Robin came out. Might be time to fix that.

edit: other acceptable Batman villains could be; Mad Hatter, Catwoman, Scarecrow, Deathstroke, Clock King, Firefly, or Victor Zsasz.

Didn't zsasz die?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    Imagine the world where James Gunn got to drop Superman into The Suicide Squad.

Imagine James Gunn getting to direct Henry Cavill as Superman.

Don't have the cgi out a mustache when there's a starfish over it

Oh please, they won't even let Batman give cunnilingus, you really think they'd let Superman just ...

...oh wait you meant, like, an actual starfish.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    MatevGnizmoVisskarBucketmanCidTheSquid
    Trace wrote: »

Didn't zsasz die?

Oh that's right, I forgot that was Zsasz in Birds of Prey.

Bucketman
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Pffft, Let the Batman villains goob all over Batman movies. Gimme Parasite, or Captain Cold, or like Pied Piper, Catman, Sportsmaster, Eel or Creature King. Start digging around and find the goods!

The only Batman villains that should show up in Suicide Squad are Clock King, Humpty Dumpty, or Ventriloquist. Maybe Clayface if they want some star power.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    OlivawBucketman
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Pffft, Let the Batman villains goob all over Batman movies. Gimme Parasite, or Captain Cold, or like Pied Piper, Catman, Sportsmaster, Eel or Creature King. Start digging around and find the goods!

The only Batman villains that should show up in Suicide Squad are Clock King, Humpty Dumpty, or Ventriloquist. Maybe Clayface if they want some star power.

Rivals-to-friends on Pied Piper and Ratcatcher 2 would be choice

MatevBucketmanLordSolarMacharius
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Kite man
    Beard hunter
    Giganta
    Onomatopoeia
    Bill Murray hosts update

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Something that would be fun , for the next k e since flag us out, cast a older 80s action star as Rick flag Sr. Instead of the normal legacy casting of the children

Endless_SerpentsBucketmanmanwiththemachinegun
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I saw this. It was a movie. And it was good.

Nanauae was the best character and I don't think it was close.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The Suicide Squad Take On Doom Patrol, and Also Poison Ivy is There, and Things Get Sexual

An Endless_Serpents Production

It is a musical.

ironsizideBucketmanCidTheSquid

I dunno.

Maybe we could give Hush his big screen debut.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Something that would be fun , for the next k e since flag us out, cast a older 80s action star as Rick flag Sr. Instead of the normal legacy casting of the children

That'd be kinda neat, if there's no other characters that might fit better.

Could end up turning it into a sort of Bloodsport trilogy though, if Flagg, Sr ends up trying to, like, rehab Bloodsport as a father. Even from a "don't do what I did" point of view, there's a risk (much like how Guardians II ran the risk of turning the trilogy more into a "Starlord and the Guardians of the Galaxy" trilogy (I don't think they went too far, but they got close, and they'll probably tip over in the third one).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I would like to see a live action version of Bane from the Harley Quinn show in a Suicide Squad film directed by James Gunn

ToxRaijin QuickfootMagellPoorochondriacRedTideMatev3cl1ps3Undead ScottsmanjkylefultonBucketmanDyvim Tvarsee317
    After watching Alan Tudyk in Resident Alien and Doom Patrol and in Harley Quinn if we don't get him as a live action Joker -at some point- I will be very upset.

Honestly really the only actor that I think could pull off the Joker these days.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Also if they can get all the players together, a Suicide Squad movie where you have a Will Smith lead team working against Idris Elba led team could be fun.

SECRET SIX! SECRET SIX! SECRET SIX!

Deadshot figures out a way to get the bomb out of his neck, saves a team of other villains on an obviously doomed mission (a la the intro to The Suicide Squad), and decides to take down Task Force X once and for all, with Waller putting a "Get Out of Jail Free Card" bounty on their heads and basically opening the gates of Belle Reve to bring them down

You could keep the Secret Six exactly as-is (Deadshot, Scandal, Bane, Ragdoll, Jeanette, and Catman), or you could swap out Harley for one of them, or just have Harley declare herself the seventh member of the team

StraightziBucketmanDyvim TvarLordSolarMachariussee317