As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Back 4 Blood] from the developers of L4D, Out Now and on Game Pass!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ohh it'll be on Game Pass for PC too? That makes the decision even easier for me.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think they should have leaned away from calling it Back 4 Blood since it implies it's more L4D but it's kinda it's own thing. It's almost like a hybrid L4D and Cod Zombies.

Netscape
    I think they should have leaned away from calling it Back 4 Blood since it implies it's more L4D but it's kinda it's own thing. It's almost like a hybrid L4D and Cod Zombies.

Yeah with the random upgrades and stuff it does stroll closer to COD zombies... Which I'm okay with. Honestly I'm okay with the name... It tells you immediately what type of game it is... Unlike that other one that looks like Left 4 Dead but isn't? I can't even remember the name.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    GTFO and Anal Cruise both evoke very different feelings.

• RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    My gaming group and I still play l4d2 on occassion for VS mode. Its usually 6-8 of us. We were all pumped for Back4Blood and then the news that it didn't have campaign vs came out. I lost about 80% of my desire to purchase this game. News of lack of MODS and having ammo per weapon rather than universal sucked the rest.

Yet I still may get it as a couple of my buddies still plan to get it.

I can see us playing the campaigns a couple times until we can play on the hardest difficulty. Then playing less and less until we finally never touch it again.

Honestly, the lack of MODS will kill this. I have near infinite campaigns in l4d2. Death Aboard and Journey to Splash Mountain among the best. What do I do when I'm bored of the Back4Blood campaigns?

Looks like the game is loading up on my PC right now!

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Well, I haven't loved the gamepass version of this yet, but I'll tell you one thing: my brain sure is swimming in a lot of L4D nostalgia right now.

Man did they remove the supply points from solo play? That's pretty lame.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Man did they remove the supply points from solo play? That's pretty lame.

Yeah I just saw skillup's review of the game, basically if you're playing in solo campaign mode you cannot earn supply points, cosmetics nor achievements at all.

https://youtu.be/0vIeXO0hnO0

17:30 is where he talks about the restrictions to Solo Play, it's pretty nasty. It's basically a way to familiarize yourself with the game and not much else as all of the cards are unlocked right away so it's essentially a giant training mode. Supposedly he was contacted by a dev that they will be "revisiting" this later, but no ETA nor details were available at the time of his video.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    This game just makes me sad that there will never be an ACTUAL Left 4 Dead 3.

DarkewolfeEndaro
    edited October 2021
    I'll try and hop online if anyone wants to play.

Around 8pm EST.

urahonky on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    How friendly is the game to random groups? I doubt I'll ever get any regular group going, but I do like the look of the gameplay.

-Loki- wrote: »
    How friendly is the game to random groups? I doubt I'll ever get any regular group going, but I do like the look of the gameplay.

During the beta it was fine. Probably works okay when playing the lower difficulties. Similar to how L4D worked.

Preacher
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

During the beta it was fine. Probably works okay when playing the lower difficulties. Similar to how L4D worked.

Yeah I mean since its the only way to get some supply points I imagine there will be plenty of peeps, especially with it on gamepass.

Hardest point will be everyone wanting to be the sassy bat wielder.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Just ran through a level with a PUG and it was just fine. A couple of guys were idiots but we still made it to the end of the level no problem.

PreacherFencingsaxNetscape
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    During the beta, I found some decent competent groups (even for veteran when I had few cards). But the cards get pretty important for higher difficulty levels. I've seen people who aren't especially good, but I didn't see anyone abusing voice chat or utterly useless (yet).

The gunplay is a bit smoother and the melee distance feels more accurate. Specials seem to spawn a bit more frequently, which helps the easy difficulty by at least adding some challenge, but I hear it gets a bit overzealous on veteran and nightmare. The mechanic that lets you take control of a bot if you die and then rescue yourself from a cocoon and get your stuff back is nice (compared to L4D where you just sit AFK). But the bots themselves are pretty terrible.

urahonky
    Yeah I feel like the gun play is way smoother now than in the beta. But I could just be misremembering.

PreacherKyanilis
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Played through almost the whole first act with a group of 3 last night. We had a rando who was, in many ways, worse than the bot, but it was still a lot of fun.

Gunplay feels good, melee feels good, setpiece level design is strong, and I appreciate all the modern things that make L4D feel dated, like better movement and mantling. The variety of objectives is very nice. We're all rusty so the easiest difficulty stopped being so trivial about halfway through Act 1.

I do find this game relies more on special Ridden rather than large hordes of normals, and I think that's maybe what puts people off. You can still easily get downed when you're swarmed, but it's never the surging tide of necroflesh you got from L4D, and the big danger seems to be the three or four or six or eight special undead you'll get during a horde while you're distracted. But maybe the hordes get bigger later in the game, and if so I'm looking forward to it.

I also got tons of glitches with the Ogre, who was juddering all over the place and at one point vanished completely instead of burrowing.

Overall I really like this and I'm looking forward to higher difficulties.

Evil Multifarious on
    urahonkyFencingsax
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah during Beta we played Veteran to start, and we were getting through it pretty easy. Now though it's incredibly difficult, I'd love to see a list of all the changes we made.

With the influx of new players we were having trouble finding two teammates that could hold their own, so we went with bots and were able to make it to the boat level and took a break there for the night.

We're really enjoying ourselves though, definitely more specials and I feel like we're getting surrounded more then we were, the zombies seem to trickle in more often and aren't just standing there waiting for us.

The bot AI seems a lot better as well, they drop ammo for us and stay close to us. It isn't perfect but a lot better then the beta.

urahonky
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So as someone who played virtually no L4D1/2 I'm enjoying this a lot. That said, the game could do a much better job explaining itself.

Decks
    1. I may have missed this in the tutorial explanation, but it's weird that I had to learn how decks/drawing cards from reading online; it's a bit counterintuitive that the cards are always drawn in the order you have them sorted, I guess I assumed there would be some randomness to it.
    2. I'm really not sure how the number of draws you get relates to...anything when you start a game. I assumed it was just like x number of cards over the course of an Act, but I just quickplay joined the last level of Act I and could draw literally my entire deck plus like 14 generic cards. Wat?

Matchmaking
    Not super clear on how matchmaking for this works.
    1. "Create Run" lets you pick a starting level that you've unlocked and presumably fills with people who also selected Create Run in the same place and/or quickplay players.
    2. Continue Run does...I'm not sure what. I'm assuming it is attempting to continue a selected run from the exact configuration it left off on, but it's not super clear how/if it's actually trying to match with other players.
    3. And then Quickplay itself is just a complete crapshoot in terms of what you end up with, and it doesn't feel great popping into a run others bailed on with a character and deck you didn't choose; I wish there was some way to disable joining runs in progress.

They could probably stand to tutorialize the game a bit better.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    I think quick play is designed to give you an edge because you're helping out a group of people that just lost someone. So that's why you got the bonus (plus you lose a few cards for not playing certain maps).

Fencingsax
    Also really sad that I'm going to be out of town until Sunday. Won't be able to enjoy it the first full weekend.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Draft post

Local H Jay on
    Re: how do decks even work - what is even going on here? I just quickplayed into a late-ish Act I level and got this
    j8ftxbaowe7z.png

It activated the top 5 cards of my deck and then told me to draw 22 more. What is driving that?

Re: how do decks even work - what is even going on here? I just quickplayed into a late-ish Act I level and got this
    j8ftxbaowe7z.png

It activated the top 5 cards of my deck and then told me to draw 22 more. What is driving that?

I said up above it's because you are doing a quick play. It's an incentive for people to join games that way over making your own and waiting for others.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I do wish there was a a difficulty level between recruit and veteran; I did a few rounds in act 1 solo on recruit when all my teammates afk’d and it was still easy and I would have had to try to die; it’s actually boring. Although they might have got me a few times if I wasn’t Angelo with his break free ability never having played the beta. Veteran on the other hand I’m getting totally creamed with pub groups with everyone other than me still using the starter deck :/

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah Veteran was a lot easier during beta, I'm guessing once people learned the ropes they were able to traverse it pretty easy. I know we were having no issues by the end of beta.

However it's now very hard to get bearings on veteran, we've wiped a few times, so I can't imagine a fresh persons experience.

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    j8ftxbaowe7z.png

j8ftxbaowe7z.png

j8ftxbaowe7z.png

As far as I can tell, runs are supposed to be all one continuous thing, which means you get your 5 starting cards + 1 after every level. So if you're joining a later level in progress, it gives you a bunch of draws (maybe more than usual if it's Quickplay like @urahonky suggested) to account for all of the draws you WOULD'VE gotten to that point if you had been playing from the beginning.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    This is a random question, but I think there is something wrong with my settings.

I have a brand new 65" LG and the series X but when I booted up the game, the menus were unreadable and everything was super small (I'm only sitting like 15" away so it's not a distance thing).

Any thoughts?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    hmm yesterday it was working fine for me and today on game pass pc i'm getting disconnected from server every 30 seconds or so :( looking on reddit it seems to be happening to a few people, bummer

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Shooting feels better than what I remember from L4D but the zombies aren't as good. It's also hilariously easy to mistake a teammate for a zombie, holy shit so much friendly fire.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    The different outfits especially make players look like zombies. You can go with the t-shirt and jeans look and fit in with most of the zombies, particularly when the highlights start getting layered over each other.

I believe the deck is supposed to give you your base card + 1 when starting an act. I don't know what drives up the number of cards to ridiculous levels; I suppose incentive makes sense. Although I started in a pre-made in a later level and it seemed to also give extra cards. If you want something that makes even less sense, the game seems to have no explanation of what Swarm is or how it works until you get dropped into it.

The most substantial improvement over the beta is the melee. The guns are nicer, but the melee now feels like it has appropriate range and snappy feel (the knife melee reminds me of COD a bit).

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    the weakest part of the game is game mechanic info
    also i hate that you can't aim for the best cards with the supply lines mechanic. IMO they should have made it so that each supply line has a tier rank so when you looked at the locked cards you can at least see which supply line you can focus your points on to get what you want

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I don't remember why I was thinking about Left 4 Dead recently, maybe just waxing nostalgic with friends? But then I learned that this game just happened so I installed with Game Pass.
    Only tried solo so far, some times the bots are pretty dumb (my first level Mom bot literally fell off the map in a hole...). But I could see this being very fun with 4 players together! The cards are weird and everything is pretty confusing at first with no explanation, but quitting to the camp and learning was helpful.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited October 2021
    I was very surprised as I didn’t think I’d like the card system at first but now that I’ve unlocked a bunch I’m loving it. Also re characters
    The doc especially looks *exactly* like a zombie when covered in blood; I’ve accidentally friendly fired her 10x more than every other character combined. Also I heart Hoffman so much; his voice lines are win

taliosfalcon on
    Fencingsax
    The whole deck model is a little weird because (to me) the idea of a deck and drawing cards implies randomness; the fact that it's a progressive availability of cards (in the specific order you have them) makes it feel more like a loadout you slowly unlock than deckbuilding. I guess there's some notion that between rounds you may pick one of the next 5 cards specifically because of the director card or what's been happening, but I do wonder if this is just a remnant of a more randomized process earlier in development.

taliosfalconSeGaTaiPreacherFencingsaxTalithMoridin889GONG-00
    edited October 2021
    yikes yeah I just made a shotgun deck w/ a ton of shotgun dmg cards, reload speed, + temporary health for each pellet that hits and run and gun to run as hoffman and once i got the a12 it was just olol bye everyone. I could hardly even register reloads happening they were so fast and everything disintegrated

taliosfalcon on
    PreacherGrundlestiltskinTalithCustom SpecialThegreatcow
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My only real issue with the game is I feel I have to clear a couple hours to get a good session in, and I'm old and like to nap on work nights.

Please young people don't let yourselves get old.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    taliosfalconTalithFencingsaxGenji-GlovesCustom SpecialCapt Howdy
    Preacher wrote: »
    My only real issue with the game is I feel I have to clear a couple hours to get a good session in, and I'm old and like to nap on work nights.

Please young people don't let yourselves get old.

I’d say this is when I just quick play for supply points, but I had some gnarly experiences with quick play tonight. How are people this bad on recruit?

The amount of people I find queuing for veteran with the starter deck is entirely too damned high

drunkenpandaren