As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Back 4 Blood] from the developers of L4D, Out Now and on Game Pass!

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I believe the deck is supposed to give you your base card + 1 when starting an act. I don't know what drives up the number of cards to ridiculous levels; I suppose incentive makes sense. Although I started in a pre-made in a later level and it seemed to also give extra cards.

If the team on the run you're joining on found free Intel on the level, it will also jump up your card count for new comers. My buddy and I found like 4 Intel on the first level in act one, and like 2 on the next level, so our stats were pretty padded by the time our third friend was able to join us on vet on the third level. I think maybe if everyone buys one of the purchase Intel's on the level too, they also get that perk card. I'm not sure on that one just because we did trip over the knife card on the second level and our friend also started with that one too, despite not having it in his perk deck.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Did a melee tank build last night through Bar Room Blitz and absolutely dominated all the adds while staying at full health and stamina. I’ve finally unlocked enough cards to get my builds to really pop off

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
    drunkenpandarenFencingsax
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I've been slowly playing a round or two solo for short sessions. I'm curious how long a full playthrough takes with a group, is it like 1-2 hours average, or is that like run and gun fast speed?

Edit: Solo I can make a deck with any card, but if I make a campaign deck there are like 6 cards. Is solo just all free, and campaign you have to unlock everything with the supply chains or whatever?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I've been slowly playing a round or two solo for short sessions. I'm curious how long a full playthrough takes with a group, is it like 1-2 hours average, or is that like run and gun fast speed?

Edit: Solo I can make a deck with any card, but if I make a campaign deck there are like 6 cards. Is solo just all free, and campaign you have to unlock everything with the supply chains or whatever?

Correct. Campaign you get a starter deck with like 5 cards but have to unlock everything else with supply points earned in missions. I'm not really sure what their intent with solo mode was, whether it was intended to be a practice mode or what, but they've communicated pretty poorly around it.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's weird because the solo start you just have the starter deck...but then I guess you could just quit immediately and use a stacked deck instead?
    All I know is it's decent solo, but it just makes me want to play with a group even more because then you could coordinate everything instead of the bots who do nothing half the time...

Fencingsax
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's weird because the solo start you just have the starter deck...but then I guess you could just quit immediately and use a stacked deck instead?
    All I know is it's decent solo, but it just makes me want to play with a group even more because then you could coordinate everything instead of the bots who do nothing half the time...

In my experience so far the bots have been better than the players, doing nothing half the time is actually an improvement. At the very least they won't shoot you accidentally, and then intentionally, because you're covered in blood and look like a zombie.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

In my experience so far the bots have been better than the players, doing nothing half the time is actually an improvement. At the very least they won't shoot you accidentally, and then intentionally, because you're covered in blood and look like a zombie.

It's about 50/50 on the bots. People are great to have when they're not awful but bots... Man, I can at least trust the bots to not trip or shoot at birds, but it takes them years to punch you out of web.

I do wish there was a way to check on people's ammo real quick, something like Vermintide does, because not everyone uses the mic to call out if they need ammo, and since I'm usually running SMG/Pistols I always have a ton to give to people if they're doing something like shotties or rifles.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Once again comparing the game to Left 4 Dead, the AI bots in that game seemed like it moved with purpose. It would follow the group diligently, shove zombies away, and actually prioritize getting players up. I haven't played since the beta so maybe they've improved it a little but from what I'm hearing, it sounds like the same AI issues from there where they don't seem to have good tools to rescue players, and don't seem to contribute much to the overall goal of survival

Local H Jay on
    Moridin889
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The amount of people I find queuing for veteran with the starter deck is entirely too damned high

I know from experience even if you select recruit only it will still quickplay you into veteran.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    The amount of people I find queuing for veteran with the starter deck is entirely too damned high

I know from experience even if you select recruit only it will still quickplay you into veteran.

How do you know when this happens? I have Recruit only selected but I've definitely joined into matches that are inconceivable clusterfucks and I wondered if I was somehow in a higher difficulty.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

How do you know when this happens? I have Recruit only selected but I've definitely joined into matches that are inconceivable clusterfucks and I wondered if I was somehow in a higher difficulty.

If you bring up your inventory it should show the act/mission on the left and the banner will be green for recruit, orange for veteran, red for nightmare

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Once again comparing the game to Left 4 Dead, the AI bots in that game seemed like it moved with purpose. It would follow the group diligently, shove zombies away, and actually prioritize getting players up. I haven't played since the beta so maybe they've improved it a little but from what I'm hearing, it sounds like the same AI issues from there where they don't seem to have good tools to rescue players, and don't seem to contribute much to the overall goal of survival

The bots aren't great, but man they are wayyyyy better than in the beta.

They stay with you pretty consistently and are generally serviceable. It's a stark contrast from the beta where having a Bot was a massive issue.

I'm a bit flabbergasted as 1/10 randos is decent, in fact for myself I haven't had a pub group where anyone is decent. It's actually shocking, everyone just seems to run off to their death and loot as much as possible along the way.

Definitely though a coordinated group of buddies elevates the game astronomically. We cruised through the first 3 sections of Act 1 on Vet.

Dixon on
    drunkenpandaren
    Maybe the players were similar when L4D was newly released and everyone was bad at the game and we've all just forgotten.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    PreacherFencingsaxMoridin889drunkenpandarenStragintSkeith
    Oof, yeah, pubs are rough. Had a Doc who knew what they were doing, then two others were were constantly getting hurt/knocked/killed.
    Man I really want to play this in a group. Is Armadeaddon still active, or do we have another PA group?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Maybe the players were similar when L4D was newly released and everyone was bad at the game and we've all just forgotten.

I'd imagine its 100% this, game just came out, people are getting adjusted. And its on gamepass so you have a big group of not invested players involved.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The bots in L4D are STILL way better than most players.

At least the bots won't shoot you in the back.

Local H JayMoridin889
    I'll give the game a shake eventually but having replayed L4D2 recently it still holds up so I'm not even sure what I'd play this one for. If Valve ever decides to do a L4D3 I'd fall over to give them my money. Knowing them it'll be a VR game or some crappy Hearthstone rip off

How accurate is this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zURAO8DELx_EN1D8YkuJ8hw_WQ2jY1mcLE4D8ElMYUo/htmlview?usp=sharing&pru=AAABfKmIipU*Ubucc_bSGmjgDXbSwsYPQg# ?

That "Down in Front!" (While Crouching you neither take nor deal Friendly Fire damage. +10 Health) card looks like it would be a solid choice for a few months.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • CronoColaCronoCola Registered User regular
    Played my first few matches last night. Had a pretty good time, even without an established group! In retrospect, I love that I thought I could just start off on PUG Veteran difficulty because I had played a bunch of L4D/2.

I noticed the colored reticle hit effects. Am I right to assume white = standard damage, yellow = critical damage (headshot or weak point), red = it's dead now?

Also, is it better to shoot the special Ridden weak point over headshots? Do headshots even do anything to them?

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I definitely had my easiest game ever with 1 dude and 2 bots. We made it up to the end of the mine without any issues. The finales are wildly uneven.
    The game definitely throws better weapons at you as you go along, so you probably shouldn't be buying them, and only attachments if they're real strong.

Some tips:
    When you are looking for a "nest" following the yellow colored gnarlyness. It can be in different spots.
    When it says to "Destroy a Mine Shaft" it's the red barrels you have to shoot. They explode big, so try to get an angle where you don't get hit.
    Toolkits are worthwhile on almost every map, but on the Diner map bringing exactly 1 is incredibly valuable.

Things I would like:
    - Have the UI show me which primary weapons my teammates use, so I can counterpick.
    - The Q point really needs to be less finnicky, way too often it aims 0.01cm to the left of a special.
    - There is some weird sound mixing in at least 2 places, where the music is louder than all sound effects. This music is a "sound effect" in the settings, so you can't tune it.
    - Please show me what weapon mod I'm swapping out when I'm looking at a new mod
    - Allow me to press 1/2 in the shop, instead of having to close it, switch weapons, and then buy a mod.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    CronoCola
    edited October 2021
    The Mines seem to be kind of rng heavy on how it goes. Sometimes you have explosive barrels to blow up the tunnels in the tunnels, and sometimes you don't and you either need to throw a pipe bomb, grenade, or a propane take into it to blow it. I had one run where we had a barrel in each one and another run where maybe two of them had a barrel in there to shoot at, so we had to scavenge instead.

Also you can swap weapons in the shop screen, X is default on PC and mods will be highlighted on the weapon on which slot they fit in, but they're waaaaaaaaay down in the corner of the screen.

Though I'd really love to have the ability to drop mods on a gun I have so I can swap it onto another gun I find when it's an upgrade. Had a crappy grey weapon with two legendary slots and two purple ones that I carried from the first part of act one all the way to the the map just before the mines when I finally swapped it out for a blue SMG with all purple and one busted clip.

drunkenpandaren on
    Grundlestiltskin
    edited October 2021
    so i guess for xbox players this game pipes their private party chat into game chat when they're crossplaying without telling them..that explains some of the fucked up why are you talking about this shit with each other when everyone else can hear you conversations i've unfortunately been privy to in pub groups

edit: also matchmade pugs are much better once you get to act 2 veteran since having to pass act 1 has weeded out most of the terribad people

taliosfalcon on
    edited October 2021
    edit: covered already.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Could someone please explain how to grab Back 4 Blood off of game pass for PC? I don't any any consoles and the last time i fiddled with game pass was grabbing a trial for Sea of Thieves - can i go grab Game Pass as a cheaper alternative to buying the game on steam for $60?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Could someone please explain how to grab Back 4 Blood off of game pass for PC? I don't any any consoles and the last time i fiddled with game pass was grabbing a trial for Sea of Thieves - can i go grab Game Pass as a cheaper alternative to buying the game on steam for $60?

Yes. You download the Xbox PC app, sign up for a month of PC Game Pass for ten bucks, then using the app go to Game Pass tab and it should be one of the first ones listed as it was just added (or you can search the store and grab it that way).

SummaryJudgment
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Yes. You download the Xbox PC app, sign up for a month of PC Game Pass for ten bucks, then using the app go to Game Pass tab and it should be one of the first ones listed as it was just added (or you can search the store and grab it that way).

Awesome, thanks. If I eventually decide to grab it off Steam, can I port my progress to my Steam account?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Depends on the game. Usually, no. But if the progress is attached to your WB account maybe

Depends on the game. Usually, no. But if the progress is attached to your WB account maybe

edited October 2021
    Anyone ever see Error 0x8007007e? If I try to install from the Xbox Gaming app I immediately get that and it won't even begin downloading. Administrator permissions?

[img][/img]hDqd4F3.jpg

I downloaded another game as a test and it worked fine, if I try downloading this it won't even let me pick C: or D: drives.

SummaryJudgment on
    @SummaryJudgment I was helping a friend yesterday getting a similar error code from the windows store, troubleshooting for an hour and couldn't get it working. So if you do sort this out please let me know.

What's the etiquette around support items and support characters? I've been playing as Doc with a pretty support-heavy deck (+60% healing efficiency), so I've been trying to heal players as much as possible. Was playing yesterday and a teammate dropped a first aid kit (presumably to pick up the pain meds in a crate and use them), and got apparently angry at me when I picked it up. They started shooting me for a while, and when that didn't do anything because we were on recruit they left the game.

Now probably it was shitty of me to pick up an item someone else dropped, but I had been healing teammates the entire level and felt like it was probably better in my inventory than theirs (Karlee). Party foul on my part, or just a communication issue?

@SummaryJudgment I was helping a friend yesterday getting a similar error code from the windows store, troubleshooting for an hour and couldn't get it working. So if you do sort this out please let me know.

I'm coming up on an hour and no luck. I'm reimaging Windows in a second. Windows store is honestly worse than Epic Games Store (not that I've ever had any problems with EGS).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfxYKW09UQ

I tried all of these - many seem duplicative - and it ends with lol reinstall Windows. So, here I am!

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    We finished doing Act 1 yesterday. I never played L4D, but I’m really enjoying this, already looking forward to doing a second run with a new deck.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    FencingsaxPreacherDixon
    Reinstalling Windows fixed it and let me download right from Microsoft Store, but I got a Not Enough Room Error. I just did a repair installation and kept all my data, but when I reinstalled I went from 80ish gigs on my C: drive to 20ish. No idea what changed. I deleted Cyberpunk to free up some space, and then it downloaded without a hitch.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    What's the etiquette around support items and support characters? I've been playing as Doc with a pretty support-heavy deck (+60% healing efficiency), so I've been trying to heal players as much as possible. Was playing yesterday and a teammate dropped a first aid kit (presumably to pick up the pain meds in a crate and use them), and got apparently angry at me when I picked it up. They started shooting me for a while, and when that didn't do anything because we were on recruit they left the game.

Now probably it was shitty of me to pick up an item someone else dropped, but I had been healing teammates the entire level and felt like it was probably better in my inventory than theirs (Karlee). Party foul on my part, or just a communication issue?

I wouldn't expect anyone on recruit to recognize your utility. Especially without voice chat. The two main support characters are Doc and Karlee, with Mom and Hoffman sort of as off-hand support. I included the starting item below, which the game doesn't bother to mention.

Doc
    • Free 25 hp heal for each of the other 3 cleaners per level (hold the use button while looking at them; E on PC by default)
    • +20% healing efficiency (heals she applies heal +20% more HP).
    • +25% trauma resistance for all 4 cleaners (reduce trauma accumulation; this is the black/red unhealable part of health bars caused by being downed and significant damage). Less useful on Recruit, since most trauma is healed between levels.
    • Starts with a bandage

Karlee
    • Senses nearby hazards and mutations (she gets a red outline of special infected, including sleepers and crows, within about 10 m). This can be very helpful for scouting and clearing out sleepers and spotting specials waiting on the other side of doors. (Sleepers are the wall-mounted cocoon things that spring out.)
    • +1 quick inventory item (the top ones: stun guns, tool kits, ammo pouches, defibrillators)
    • 50% use speed for all 4 cleaners (speeds up pretty much everything with a progress bar; applying bandages, using toolkits, putting up barricades, etc.)
    • Starts with a tool kit

Mom
    • 1 instant revive per level
    • +1 support inventory (the middle ones: medkits, pain meds, bandages)
    • 1 extra life for each of the 4 cleaners (another incapacitation before death)
    • Starts with pain meds

Hoffman
    • Ridden have a chance to drop ammo
    • +1 offensive inventory (the bottom ones: firecrackers, grenades, flashbangs, barbed wire, molotovs)
    • +10% ammo capacity for all 4 cleaners
    • Starts with an ammo pouch

Everyone else has a team bonus that can be useful, but their perks and starting items aren't shareable).
    • Evangelo: +5% movement speed
    • Holly: +25 stamina (max. stamina up)
    • Jim: +10% weakspot damage
    • Walker: +10 health (max. health up)

But I have not seen pubbies actually recognize support. Or thank people for Doc heals or suggest Doc do all the healing during lulls or anything.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    The game is more like vermintide than l4d, especially when there's a deck system that you use to augment your character's playstyle. There's also a bit of a grind to get "good" cards and your progress is tracked by the cards you have, which makes it tough to just jump into a game of veteran/nightmare and win just with skill alone.
    I hope they patch in more things to explain to the player about the game mechanics. Its definitely the biggest issue with the game imo

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Got some fun runs in with @UrQuanLord88 and @MyNameIsWalrus !
    We ran through Act 2 fully, and back through the start of Act 1 to unlock the extra characters (since solo didn't...). I was having fun being the med and tool kit carrier, so I'm definitely going to be playing Doc going forward. I also am loving the M249 so much. Get the 2x with +weakspot damage and just unload on bosses and specials.

UrQuanLord88
    edited October 2021
    The no friendly fire taken or given while crouching card is so good I’m now running it on my deck for every character and just crouching 99% of the time :o

taliosfalcon on
    FencingsaxSummaryJudgmentTalithMoridin889
    Hey, how does progress / progression work? Can I join friends who are further along than I am? Or they'll need to replay earlier content with me?