Options

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

19596979899101»

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I wonder if there's a technical reason 10 can't be made to use the 12th gen intel architecture properly, or if it's just MS figuring only supporting it in the newer version is a good way to incentivize migrating to that product they naturally want people to move to. I don't know fuck and all about that level of technical stuff so it could be either and I wouldn't be able to tell.

The answer is probably "yes." It likely could be done, but Microsoft isn't putting too many resources into Windows 10 at this point. I imagine the work would not be trivial, but within their capability.

There's also the reality that the enthusiast slice of the market is actually quite small, and the vast majority of people buying 12th gen intel parts are buying them in laptops that will come with Windows 11 today. The number of people buying discrete parts, building a computer, and then wanting Windows 10 instead of 11 is a very, very small number of the overall market. Even if it might be a larger percentage of the enthusiast market.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Or just get the i5-12400 and stick with Win10. No e-cores, no problem. B)

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Can get ahold of a r7 5800x for under 300 and am very tempted now. Did read that they run hot though so looking at an aio cooler too.

When using on of these, you want the aio fans blowing out of the case I'm assuming?

I'd prefer to mount it on the front of my case in case of a leak so it wouldn't torch my mobo or gpu. If I did that, would three fans intake on the top of the case and one as exhaust in the rear seem sufficient to keep everything else ventilated?

[Edit]after some googling it would look like mounting the aio to the top as exhaust and leaving the 3 front fans as I take would be the smart option

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Or just get the i5-12400 and stick with Win10. No e-cores, no problem. B)

I'm sorry but... get less cores?

I'm afraid I don't understand.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I legit have considered getting a Threadripper the next time I upgrade

Worse for gaming, but *unf* the power for productivity

• Options
    Also would have ALL of the PCIe lanes, which would be nice

• Options
    Threadripper only makes sense if you need that extra core count to get work done/make real money. And in this case "getting work done" means that if the CAD render or 3D modelling you need to generate every day actually matters if it takes 45 minutes to do instead of 60, and you can actually turn that into more billable time and make actual money off of it.

the extra PCI-e lanes would be nice but in reality a system with say a Ryzen 5950X on an X570 board already has 24 lanes on the CPU and 16 more on the chipset. If you need more than that you're likely already in that lane of you need to get work done/make money.

the vast majority of workloads don't even use the 16 cores you find in that 5950X today, getting more is silly unless you specifically need it, especially considering the cost of the platform.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Can get ahold of a r7 5800x for under 300 and am very tempted now. Did read that they run hot though so looking at an aio cooler too.

When using on of these, you want the aio fans blowing out of the case I'm assuming?

I'd prefer to mount it on the front of my case in case of a leak so it wouldn't torch my mobo or gpu. If I did that, would three fans intake on the top of the case and one as exhaust in the rear seem sufficient to keep everything else ventilated?

[Edit]after some googling it would look like mounting the aio to the top as exhaust and leaving the 3 front fans as I take would be the smart option

AIO fans can be either intake or exhaust. If mounted in front, they're used as intake and if top mounted, used as exhaust (generally speaking that is). For CPU cooling, front intake is technically best, but comes at the cost of hotter air over the GPU. The other consideration with using it as front intake is orienting it so air doesn't get trapped in the pump. I believe for a front mount you want the tubes to be at the bottom of the radiator, and the top of the radiator to be higher than the pump. GN did a video on this which hopefully explains it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

altid on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Data point of one, but I run a 5900x and a 3090 air cooled and my system hasn't caught fire yet. It does get a bit warm, but I haven't run into throttling as far as I know(though I do have the 3090 undervolted a bit).

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Threadripper only makes sense if you need that extra core count to get work done/make real money. And in this case "getting work done" means that if the CAD render or 3D modelling you need to generate every day actually matters if it takes 45 minutes to do instead of 60, and you can actually turn that into more billable time and make actual money off of it.

the extra PCI-e lanes would be nice but in reality a system with say a Ryzen 5950X on an X570 board already has 24 lanes on the CPU and 16 more on the chipset. If you need more than that you're likely already in that lane of you need to get work done/make money.

the vast majority of workloads don't even use the 16 cores you find in that 5950X today, getting more is silly unless you specifically need it, especially considering the cost of the platform.

Of course. But it would save me those extra minutes like once a week which would be worth it.

No I don't get paid for things I do on my home PC but that's not relevant.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I wonder if there's a technical reason 10 can't be made to use the 12th gen intel architecture properly, or if it's just MS figuring only supporting it in the newer version is a good way to incentivize migrating to that product they naturally want people to move to. I don't know fuck and all about that level of technical stuff so it could be either and I wouldn't be able to tell.

This is certainly the reason why, and a big part of the reason I stepped away from Windows.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Well, my fancy new 43in Gigabyte gaming monitor has to go back.

u4bnc2j956rf.png
    7kfcezo3vxj1.png

It came to me with dust trapped between the outer protective layer and the LCD layer. Amazon is being shitty and won't RMA it. Gigabyte wants me to pay to ship it to them for an RMA. So the only option is to return it for a refund. Oh well, it was fun for the week that I had it.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

The answer is probably "yes." It likely could be done, but Microsoft isn't putting too many resources into Windows 10 at this point. I imagine the work would not be trivial, but within their capability.

There's also the reality that the enthusiast slice of the market is actually quite small, and the vast majority of people buying 12th gen intel parts are buying them in laptops that will come with Windows 11 today. The number of people buying discrete parts, building a computer, and then wanting Windows 10 instead of 11 is a very, very small number of the overall market. Even if it might be a larger percentage of the enthusiast market.

Windows 10 is also 7 years old, end of life in 3 years, and Windows 11 has already been out for nearly a year. Even ignoring their desire to push people toward their new product, backporting the scheduler is almost certainly not worth the expense given the amount of testing involved for a market that's virtually non-existent as far as Microsoft sales are concerned and will continue to shrink as people continue to switch to 11. Things may have been different if Intel had released this architecture a few years before 11 was out.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

I have a 5800X, air cooled and it does fine. But, if I were buying now, I'd get the 5700X. Same number of cores, slightly lower performance (negligible in games) but way lower power consumption and less heat output. $250 right now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

u4bnc2j956rf.png
    7kfcezo3vxj1.png

It came to me with dust trapped between the outer protective layer and the LCD layer. Amazon is being shitty and won't RMA it. Gigabyte wants me to pay to ship it to them for an RMA. So the only option is to return it for a refund. Oh well, it was fun for the week that I had it.

The reviews for this screen are full of experiences like yours. Basically if you get a perfect one it's great but there's a significant chance of riding the RMA-go-round. Seems that the QC team are a little more... tolerant than end users who expect a flawless screen for 700 smackers.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

u4bnc2j956rf.png
    7kfcezo3vxj1.png

The reviews for this screen are full of experiences like yours. Basically if you get a perfect one it's great but there's a significant chance of riding the RMA-go-round. Seems that the QC team are a little more... tolerant than end users who expect a flawless screen for 700 smackers.

Yup. I was hoping I would get lucky and mine would be without manufacturing defects. Oh well. At least Amazon has a good return policy. I would not have bought it if I didn't have that to fall back on. In fact I'm keeping my eyes open for the OLED version of that screen to go on sale again. I'm willing to take the risk. I only stand to lose time.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    TBH, just refunding it probably worth it, compared to dealing with gigabyte's RMA. When my mobo died, they held it for a month and then I didn't hear anything back from them until they had already shipped it back and THEN they finally emailed me that they weren't doing shit. Never buying from them again

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

I have a 5800X, air cooled and it does fine. But, if I were buying now, I'd get the 5700X. Same number of cores, slightly lower performance (negligible in games) but way lower power consumption and less heat output. $250 right now.

I bit on the 5700x after reading up on comparisons. And since I use my PC to play games and do light browsing it seems perfect for me.

I still bought an aio because I just really want one haha

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's half past time for a new thread.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I’m running a 5800X with a Noctua NH-U12A and it’s fine. Idle temps are low 30c’s, light gaming is low 60s, very demanding games about 70.occasional spike up to 75 when a game wants to do something extra.

Thermal throttle is 90c so I’m not even close to hitting the throttle with air cooling.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    lol
    e9i6xascv9hs.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Mugsley wrote: »

The unguarded rotating/moving links make me cringe.

It's me. I'm the grumpy old man.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah that caught my eye as well lol
    hope nothing gets caught in those!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2022
    whoops

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    A (relatively) straightforward explanation of the DisplayPort 2.0 standard, and the profusion of cable standards pertaining thereto.

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/DisplayPort/displayport-2-0-certification-what-are-dp40-and-dp80-cables

• Options
    So, who is creating a new thread?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    someone, please :)
    I was leaving this one open in case GT wanted to do it by copying their own OP

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »

AIO fans can be either intake or exhaust. If mounted in front, they're used as intake and if top mounted, used as exhaust (generally speaking that is). For CPU cooling, front intake is technically best, but comes at the cost of hotter air over the GPU. The other consideration with using it as front intake is orienting it so air doesn't get trapped in the pump. I believe for a front mount you want the tubes to be at the bottom of the radiator, and the top of the radiator to be higher than the pump. GN did a video on this which hopefully explains it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

for front mounted AIO Radiator, you can still have the tubes at the top as long as you make sure the pump is a few inches lower than the top of the rad. If you can mount it so the tubes are at the bottom, it is preferable, but not required. Generally it will be easier to fit the rad in with tubes at the top.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m after a longer DisplayPort cable. I’m seeing the same type - 1.4 3 meters, going between $10au and $50au.

Is this another situation like when HDMI got popular and people were selling pixie dust coated HDMI cables for better picture but really you just spent too much on a HDMI cable?

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

That's actually an adhesive and it's slightly toxic to the touch.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.