Options

[Humankind] - Endless Hoomanz

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah, but he failed to make Earth unsuitable for humanity so, not worth watching imo.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Sounds like this one is in the "wait for a balance patch" category?

The game is still at that very early release stage where "Is this unbalanced or do people just not know what to do about it yet?" Isn't a question that can be confidently answered for some things.

People whine about the Harrapans being unstoppable but the trick is to not leave them alone in the early game.

Are they? I'm in a game with them right now and we are the two super powers, but they are essentially locked to one continent as I haven't seen a single Harrapan ship.
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I think the game is worth getting now

100%. I've enjoyed AMP's other offerings but I've put a ridiculous amount of hours into this game over betas and release. I'm committed to finishing this current game of mine to see everything the game has to offer mechanically, then it's on to the challenge runs: no culture swap or stick with one affinity/continental origin, play around with the traits to see how they play out, one city, etc.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    This is a good, not great, game but I find that several aspects of the game need some serious polish applied to them.

For instance, the resources & luxuries distribution could use some attention. First game out and I don't think the world had enough saltpeter spots in order to make some of the ship units. Not sure about the late game stuff like aluminum or uranium but coal was something that was difficult to locate.

I'd also like to see them do another pass on the outpost to city costs. The city cap is likewise...interesting. Your first city is free, the second is 160 influence/culture and the third is over 500. It's not doubling up, nor is it tripling up. The numbers don't seem to match anything related to the actual playing of the game. And in the early game, it seems like you'd want to get as many cities going as you could. Which is slowed down thanks to the costs. And that's before the penalties applied for you going over the city cap. The game is getting you coming and going on this front. Which doesn't sit well with me from a game creation direction. You've must have done something wrong in the base set up if that's how you solve it.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    This is a good, not great, game but I find that several aspects of the game need some serious polish applied to them.

For instance, the resources & luxuries distribution could use some attention. First game out and I don't think the world had enough saltpeter spots in order to make some of the ship units. Not sure about the late game stuff like aluminum or uranium but coal was something that was difficult to locate.

I'd also like to see them do another pass on the outpost to city costs. The city cap is likewise...interesting. Your first city is free, the second is 160 influence/culture and the third is over 500. It's not doubling up, nor is it tripling up. The numbers don't seem to match anything related to the actual playing of the game. And in the early game, it seems like you'd want to get as many cities going as you could. Which is slowed down thanks to the costs. And that's before the penalties applied for you going over the city cap. The game is getting you coming and going on this front. Which doesn't sit well with me from a game creation direction. You've must have done something wrong in the base set up if that's how you solve it.

It's weird that cities cost so much but for maybe 1/4 of that influence you can bribe and assimilate the independent cities in early game. I'm not sure but the settlers in the early modern era are cheap and give your new colonies a HUGE leg up and may also not cost influence? I'm not sure on that last part.

Current game is snowballing super hard. I have no more threats and once I get a strong industrial era infantry to replace my janissaries I will grind through the second place empire.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they add a way to demolish cities - taking over the neutral cities through either assimilation or conquest can give you a bunch of cities quickly when ideally the captured one should be an outpost or something you can remove. The ability to merge cities comes a little late considering you get it effectively when most of the neutrals have been removed.

Current game I managed to get to 10/5 city count and was pulling -2k influence a turn; which banks negative which also feels wrong.

Wonder if they will tweak military start numbers or what to do about them - was fairly easy to get 3 stars one age - stop fighting; and then just grab 3 stars the next age immediately off of one neighbor and a neutral

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I'm hoping they add a way to demolish cities - taking over the neutral cities through either assimilation or conquest can give you a bunch of cities quickly when ideally the captured one should be an outpost or something you can remove. The ability to merge cities comes a little late considering you get it effectively when most of the neutrals have been removed.

Current game I managed to get to 10/5 city count and was pulling -2k influence a turn; which banks negative which also feels wrong.

Wonder if they will tweak military start numbers or what to do about them - was fairly easy to get 3 stars one age - stop fighting; and then just grab 3 stars the next age immediately off of one neighbor and a neutral

You can raze your own property using a military unit.

Is it just me, or are the infrastructure buildings that provide a flat bonus that don't scale off anything utterly worthless?

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular

Is it just me, or are the infrastructure buildings that provide a flat bonus that don't scale off anything utterly worthless?

The influence ones aren't bad but yea stuff like the +3 gold on city center is pretty bad.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    lol

if you use auto explore on your units they beeline straight for curiosities. Its pretty ridiculous

I see it getting patched out at some point

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    lol

if you use auto explore on your units they beeline straight for curiosities. Its pretty ridiculous

I see it getting patched out at some point

Hopefully they can patch pathing for your units soon as well. If you try to send a unit anywhere more than around 3-4 hexes away there's almost no telling what path they're going to choose to get there and just how far away from a straight line they may go before getting there if there are any changes in elevation along the way.

• Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Last Son wrote: »

The influence ones aren't bad but yea stuff like the +3 gold on city center is pretty bad.

Still haven't found a use for the city centre ones, but the harbour ones can be alright if you pick a civ with a unique harbour quarter. Apparently they don't currently count as harbours for the cap, so you can plop down 2-4 a territory if you pick Phoenicians, Carthaginians or Norse.

Now, that doesn't make the infrastructure good, but it at least makes them maybe useful, depending on when you need them and stability constraints.

jaredburton on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Started up a new game on the second lowest diffuclty, and managed to snaffle the harrapans. Runners are fun!

I really like city building in this game, much more than civ. Picking up territory and figuring out how to jigsaw it togther with your city is just great, as is slowly going "Okay, so this'll be a nice new city over here..."

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Build Machu Pichu.

Time until next pop across my empire promptly craters as everyone gets their gorging on.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is getting to the Ancient Era just luck? I restarted my first game from turn 1 as all 4 other players beat me there. 2nd game I got closer but still seemed to lag behind.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is getting to the Ancient Era just luck? I restarted my first game from turn 1 as all 4 other players beat me there. 2nd game I got closer but still seemed to lag behind.

I wouldn't say it's all luck, but luck is a very big part of it. Lagging behind is pretty typical in my experience, and not worth restarting over.

Just focus on finding a good location for a starting city - somewhere with plenty of food and production capability, ideally in a territory with worthwhile resources, and bonus points if it's nice and defensible. As long as you aren't outrageously far behind the AI, you should have little problem catching up.

• Options

Right now the issue is that the AI seems to know where the curiosistses spawn and will home in on them, so they'll bum rush these.

Good news is you can do it too via turning on Auto-explore.

Also, it's not the worst to be slower - sure, you might not get the Harrapans or whatever, but your neolithic swarm you can assemble will all convert into scouts, and then you can dump those onto your city to create pop - and you can spend pop to rush a building, district etc

Plus, it's worth staying to get 10 science stars if you can just to pick up the neolthic trait - those are nice!

• Options
    I grabbed the Phoenicians since I have water all around me. Also my first outpost has a ton of resources and I'm about to put an outpost in an area with a bunch of porcelain (which I heard is useful). We'll see how it goes. Just doing a small pangea map to get my feet wet.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

I like the idea that some cultures will not have access to certain strategic resources and will have to trade for them or take them by force. Cultures shouldn't all be on even footing; makes for a more interesting game.

As for cities, the early game really isn't focused on throwing out as many cities as you can (you can actually go over the limit) but about scouting and protecting future land opportunities. Getting two cities out that are sufficient distance from one another and cover a decent amount of area is more important (in my view) than somehow rushing to increase the city cap (which you aren't doing in the tech or religious tabs for awhile). Laying down outposts, razing the outposts of other cultures and border skirmishing with "enemy" units that are looking to throw down roots on land you've got an eye out for should be the focus on early game, with stability management just as important as food and production.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »

I like the idea that some cultures will not have access to certain strategic resources and will have to trade for them or take them by force. Cultures shouldn't all be on even footing; makes for a more interesting game.

As for cities, the early game really isn't focused on throwing out as many cities as you can (you can actually go over the limit) but about scouting and protecting future land opportunities. Getting two cities out that are sufficient distance from one another and cover a decent amount of area is more important (in my view) than somehow rushing to increase the city cap (which you aren't doing in the tech or religious tabs for awhile). Laying down outposts, razing the outposts of other cultures and border skirmishing with "enemy" units that are looking to throw down roots on land you've got an eye out for should be the focus on early game, with stability management just as important as food and production.

I just finished my last game. Oil was a rare resource on my map with only 2. I managed to get one of them on my continent but it was way up north and I only had the territory through a previous conquest as it was otherwise empty (but eventually popped a uranium resource). I had to have two oil in order to build tanks so I needed to invade another empire to peel off one miserable little city to get access. At this point it was mostly just getting style points fame because my powerhouse empire was whole orders of magnitude ahead in everything and only one other empire even managed to hit the medieval era a dozen or so turns before the end.

Bugs:
    • During the final victory narrative I had a ton of achievements fire off that I absolutely did not earn. For example, I somehow was first to enter every era, but also was first to enter an era after being last in the previous era. I also declared plenty of wars but got the one for winning without declaring any wars.
    • Anyone that's gotten to the industrial era: have your train stations ever worked? I built a whole bunch and 1) the in-game badge/boost for building a railroad between two cities never happened, nor could I ever get a unit to move from one station to another using one turn.
    • Maybe not a bug, but annoying nonetheless. Air support units are visible in the battle map (under "support") and you can view them and preview what damage they will do by hovering over the tile, but you cannot execute from the battle map. You have to exit out of the battle, then navigate to the airfield where that plane is stationed, then click air strike and select the tile of the battle in progress. It just feels weird like they got most of the functionality in place to do it either way but never linked the "click" command in the code to execute the air strike. Further nit to pick with aircraft is they automatically spawn with air patrol turned on, so I spent a bunch of money buying out an airplane in a battle just to see an air strike happen but I had to wait an additional turn because the first turn was spent landing the plane lol.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I feel like strategic resources are too rare as well. Last game my home continent had no copper on it. It is pretty lame when you can’t even build your first unique unit because getting the resource requires sailing through deep water to another continent.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Yeah I don't necessarily disagree that the resources should be spread in such a way that not all players will have all resources on their territory, but there needs to be more overall because often there's pitifully few of very important resources even on a huge map.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Considering the fact that a lot of units need multiples of a certain kind of strategic resource, I think it's only fair if every world has at least that minimum amount of resources.

Like, the Main Battle Tank requires 3 Oil to be built. So the world needs to have at least 3 Oil deposits on its map. And not, for example, zero Oil deposits like what happened in my first game.

You miss out on a lot of late-game stuff if the world contains no Oil whatsoever.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

One tip, when you get an extra unit, either through food or finding one, split them up and spread out over the map. Since I started doing this I generally get there first.

Also, go back to places you've been, and new ? will pop up after a while.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah i think strategic resource allocation on the map is bugged or needs to be reworked. I've heard a lot of people mention it.

I dont think you need to be guaranteed access to e.g. horses and copper in your territory but each game world should be guaranteed a reasonable distribution of them.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Yeah I don’t mind having to use up a trade spot or conquer for it but it should at least exist. Though so many units require copper and horses I feel like there should possibly be a few more.

Did a game as the zhou, man the confucian schools really rocket up your science if you have mountains. I am not sure what exactly the optimal path between attaching outposts vs just making a city is at this point though, and there’s a ton of stuff with civics and religion that I’m like “I have no idea what this means”.

Interesting that they chose Zhou and Ming but no Han and Tang dynasty.

• Options
    Yeah I don’t mind having to use up a trade spot or conquer for it but it should at least exist. Though so many units require copper and horses I feel like there should possibly be a few more.

Did a game as the zhou, man the confucian schools really rocket up your science if you have mountains. I am not sure what exactly the optimal path between attaching outposts vs just making a city is at this point though, and there’s a ton of stuff with civics and religion that I’m like “I have no idea what this means”.

Interesting that they chose Zhou and Ming but no Han and Tang dynasty.

I also chose Zhou in my run and the +10 each to science from my first two schools was absolutely bonkers for getting an early tech lead.

It feels to me like every city should have one outpost attached to it and the influence cost to attach that first outpost isn't too bad. I think your first two cities should be far enough apart that you can attach at least one good territory to each. Your first two cities should be +10 each to food and production but if you can find a spot that nets +23 resources or more and still gives you "enough" of a weaker one (say +8 food and +16 production) to take that spot instead. Your territories you attach should then bolster whatever your city needs more of, food or production. Coastal territories can make lots of food in mid-game with some of the fishing infrastructures. Once you get to mid-game you can absorb crappy cities into bigger cities though the influence costs are outrageous. It might better to turn that district into cranking out faith, science or gold instead. I also realized that once you get to the late game, the penalties for going over your city cap are laughable. -120 influence per turn when I'm generating 1200+ is kind of silly.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Considering it's a game, it seems like a map generator could be weighted to ensure that resources are both distributed fairly but also asymmetrically to drive aggressive play but also make sure you can have a good game regardless of start as long as you plan well.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    These types of games always need some post launch love. I wouldn't be surprised to see a patch that either increases the resource count or even better a slider in the map settings to let us choose.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Enjoying this so far. I've definitely got some problems with it and there's a ton of room for improvement, but in it's current state the game is still very fun. Certainly a way to kill a nearly infinite amount of time, same as Civ games.

My biggest question mark right now is resolving war. I had a situation where I claimed another person's only city, and then because my unit didn't actually enter that city, that player was immediately able to reclaim it on their turn. And then immediately it prompted them to surrender the war and I was not able to take that town even though I had more than enough war support for it. And it wouldn't let me not accept the surrender. In fact if I closed that window and ordered my unit to take the city again, it would take the city and instantly bug out and give it back.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So there's an Achievement I got near the end of my second complete game called 'Check My Bling!'. In order to get it one has to 'Gain access to all Strategic and Luxury Resources available on the map by any means'.

And yet, when I got this cheevo, I did not have access to Oil. Because, in my second complete game, too, there was no Oil anywhere on the map.

I really do like this game, but I also think it could stand to be a little more generous with the Strategic Resources.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    So there's an Achievement I got near the end of my second complete game called 'Check My Bling!'. In order to get it one has to 'Gain access to all Strategic and Luxury Resources available on the map by any means'.

And yet, when I got this cheevo, I did not have access to Oil. Because, in my second complete game, too, there was no Oil anywhere on the map.

I really do like this game, but I also think it could stand to be a little more generous with the Strategic Resources.

I mean, if there was no oil then that wouldn't be an available resource.

I agree though, early strategic resources seem fine but the last 4 are stupidly rare. Playing on a normal size map I usually only see 2-4 copies which when some units/buildings take 3 of a resource is just silly. If I want to deploy main battle tanks I have to control, or trade for, 75% of the world's oil supply.

• Options
    Playing a game today that felt like it was going really well. Found a couple of nice spots for starting cities that grew quickly with lots of production capability. Beat the tar out of the only tribe to start near me, eventually leaving them with a single city on the other side of a neutral territory. Research was going as quick as ever, stability was good throughout my empire and I was at 6 good cities with plenty of resources much faster than I'd hit that point prior. But at turn 140 or so there is one computer opponent with nearly 7,500 fame already. That's more fame than I'd needed at turn 300 to win several prior games. They've built 3 wonders, so nothing crazy. I honestly have no idea how they can possibly have such a high score at this point in the game. They're on another continent that I haven't visited, so I don't know if they have some kind of insanely large empire, but even if they do I don't know how that much fame was possible already.

On top of that, I went to eliminate the last city remaining for my nearest neighbor and while I can engage their troops away from the city the game will not let me move within 1 hex of the city itself or attack the troops that are about 3 hexes from the city. I can move around them and move into almost any hex next to them, but cannot attack even though we are at war and there are no terrain obstructions that should prevent me from attacking.

I dunno. There's a lot I like about this game, but I might have to shelve it until some major patching occurs.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    While this game may not be perfect I am sated in my hesitancy but eventual support to amplitude. I enjoyed the endless games. I feel this game deserves the support for a sequel.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Playing a game today that felt like it was going really well. Found a couple of nice spots for starting cities that grew quickly with lots of production capability. Beat the tar out of the only tribe to start near me, eventually leaving them with a single city on the other side of a neutral territory. Research was going as quick as ever, stability was good throughout my empire and I was at 6 good cities with plenty of resources much faster than I'd hit that point prior. But at turn 140 or so there is one computer opponent with nearly 7,500 fame already. That's more fame than I'd needed at turn 300 to win several prior games. They've built 3 wonders, so nothing crazy. I honestly have no idea how they can possibly have such a high score at this point in the game. They're on another continent that I haven't visited, so I don't know if they have some kind of insanely large empire, but even if they do I don't know how that much fame was possible already.

On top of that, I went to eliminate the last city remaining for my nearest neighbor and while I can engage their troops away from the city the game will not let me move within 1 hex of the city itself or attack the troops that are about 3 hexes from the city. I can move around them and move into almost any hex next to them, but cannot attack even though we are at war and there are no terrain obstructions that should prevent me from attacking.

I dunno. There's a lot I like about this game, but I might have to shelve it until some major patching occurs.

It seems like the big way to gain a lot of fame is to hold off on progressing to the next era until you fill out as many stars as possible. Getting three stars in a particular category gives a huge amount of fame, and especially if it's the preferred one for your civ. That still strikes me as a ton, but I could see it being possible if you are getting multiple gold stars in each era.

I don't have an answer to the second issue, though. Probably a bug, but there's enough about war that is unintuitive that it could easily be because of something or other that you're missing.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

when you attack cities you have to attack into their outer hexes. i found it hard from time to time to locate the hexes that made up the outside of the city

i now mouse over and look for the icon of the catapult to attack.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

when you attack cities you have to attack into their outer hexes. i found it hard from time to time to locate the hexes that made up the outside of the city

That's not what's happening here. This is the 4th or 5th city I've attacked this game and what's happening is just inexplicable to me. I cannot move to any of the hexes closest to the city, I cannot attack any hex associated with the city no matter what direction I try to approach from, and when I try to do so I get the message "Cannot be done as this is the wrong District type." I can't move into any of the hexes adjacent to the city center, even though the hexes to the west and northwest have not been developed and are not part of the walled city complex - I just get that same popup and cannot move there. I can't besiege the city since I can't move close enough to it to do so. There is no catapult icon available over any hex that is part of the city, outer or inner.

I've read through every combat tutorial and wiki entry I can find and there's nothing I can see that would explain this. It appears to be bugged somewhat similarly to attacking island cities, but in a much less obvious way.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular

That's not what's happening here. This is the 4th or 5th city I've attacked this game and what's happening is just inexplicable to me. I cannot move to any of the hexes closest to the city, I cannot attack any hex associated with the city no matter what direction I try to approach from, and when I try to do so I get the message "Cannot be done as this is the wrong District type." I can't move into any of the hexes adjacent to the city center, even though the hexes to the west and northwest have not been developed and are not part of the walled city complex - I just get that same popup and cannot move there. I can't besiege the city since I can't move close enough to it to do so. There is no catapult icon available over any hex that is part of the city, outer or inner.

I've read through every combat tutorial and wiki entry I can find and there's nothing I can see that would explain this. It appears to be bugged somewhat similarly to attacking island cities, but in a much less obvious way.

Is it being besieged by someone else? My last game I couldn't take a city because an AI was attacking it for like 30 turns and it prevents any access to the city.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sonelan wrote: »

Is it being besieged by someone else? My last game I couldn't take a city because an AI was attacking it for like 30 turns and it prevents any access to the city.

There was nobody else within a dozen hexes in any direction. I restored my save a couple of times, played out a couple more turns and they ended up surrendering to me. I now own the city I couldn't attack and I still can't see what the issue was. Nearly all of the hexes I couldn't interact with are Ruins, so maybe there's something buggy there, but one hex that I tried to interact with repeatedly is just Dry Grass that is being exploited (it is the hex directly south of the city center) but has not been developed in any way.

Maybe there was some sort of bugged besieging going on? I don't know how it could have been besieged when there were no enemy units anywhere even remotely nearby, but nothing else makes any sense either. They weren't at war with anyone else, but there is an Independent city with a lot of forces two territories over. Maybe they had besieged it at some point and it never ended properly.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Sonelan wrote: »

There was nobody else within a dozen hexes in any direction. I restored my save a couple of times, played out a couple more turns and they ended up surrendering to me. I now own the city I couldn't attack and I still can't see what the issue was. Nearly all of the hexes I couldn't interact with are Ruins, so maybe there's something buggy there, but one hex that I tried to interact with repeatedly is just Dry Grass that is being exploited (it is the hex directly south of the city center) but has not been developed in any way.

Maybe there was some sort of bugged besieging going on? I don't know how it could have been besieged when there were no enemy units anywhere even remotely nearby, but nothing else makes any sense either. They weren't at war with anyone else, but there is an Independent city with a lot of forces two territories over. Maybe they had besieged it at some point and it never ended properly.

Yea could have bugged out. The instance I mentioned was bugged, even after I wiped out the AI who was attacked the city their units just stayed in the siege for the rest of the game and no one was able to interact with that city. And that also involved an independent city.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    On the one hand, I wish I had this on Steam so that I could try the beta patch that's available.

On the other hand, while I think this can be quite good eventually I'm glad I didn't pay for it and am playing it through Gamepass.