As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    We might need more specific terms. I see "microtransaction", and my first thought is to any purchase that's smaller or separate from the main transaction of buying the game itself. Which would encompass DLCs, boosts, and currency.

It's a broad ass term, no doubt. If you limit it to the gem currency most gatcha games use... well they constantly sell them in bundles of $20/$50/$100. That sure ain't "micro". Meanwhile the game that sells a million pieces of cosmetic items individually for $2 each, that is arguably the same as any other form of generic DLC, but then again the price point is more in line with what the ter, "microtransaction" initially meant.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

This game make me feel like I'm playing old SNES RPGs? Can't decide if I want it. I thought @MNC Dover said something to that effect.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

This game make me feel like I'm playing old SNES RPGs? Can't decide if I want it. I thought @MNC Dover said something to that effect.

BD2 definitely has a SNES-era feel, with a lot of modern day touches. This game and Octopath feel like what 2D RPGs would be like if they kept upgrading the technology and 3D never came along.

That being said, BD2 isn't without its faults. There's a lot of walking, backtracking, random battles (I despise random battles), and the story isn't perfect. The game is incredibly breakable though, if you're into creating monstrous team compositions and laying waste to your foes.

At $30, I would say give it a shot. It's more than worth it at that price.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      MNC Dover wrote: »

BD2 definitely has a SNES-era feel, with a lot of modern day touches. This game and Octopath feel like what 2D RPGs would be like if they kept upgrading the technology and 3D never came along.

That being said, BD2 isn't without its faults. There's a lot of walking, backtracking, random battles (I despise random battles), and the story isn't perfect. The game is incredibly breakable though, if you're into creating monstrous team compositions and laying waste to your foes.

Oh yeah... there's so many delightfully broken ability combinations you can pull. I mean, to some degree that's just par for the course with job systems. But when I fought the postgame superboss? I just literally didn't let it ever have a turn, for instance.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
      Anybody picked up NIS Classics yet? Early reviews are seeming very meh. The only thing they apparently added/changed was a few upscaling graphics options, some of which don't actually do anything. And it's prone to crashing. Very consistently if you try to quit, but also occasionally just in the middle of stages too.

ztrEPtD.gif
    • FryFry Registered User regular
      Bravely Default 2:
      - Drags on a bit too long
      - is basically a final fantasy game with a job system
      - has a surprising amount of stuff that is overpowered-but-not-really
      - has the opportunity to spend gobs of time grinding and farming, though you really don't need to do that for the main story.

I disagree somewhat with the random encounters comment. For the last 90% of the game I was over leveled enough that all the random enemies ran away from me, so I didn't have to take any fights I didn't want to. This is without having intentionally grinded any levels.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Huh? BD2 is the only one of the series that doesn't have random battles.

LxX6eco.jpg
      PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
      SyphonBlue wrote: »

in the others you could turn encounters off completely if you wanted, in this one they removed the option. i still recommend the game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      SyphonBlue wrote: »

Oh right, I don't mean like FF1 random, but rather monsters on the field chasing you down (or running away). I just didn't like that they removed the ability to turn on/off fights with the slider bar, ala BD1.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      You also have the option to buy an item that makes random enemies ignore you. It’s like the Holy Bottle in Tales of Symphonia.

And like the Holy Bottle, I don’t think I ever used it.

You also have the option to buy an item that makes random enemies ignore you. It’s like the Holy Bottle in Tales of Symphonia.

Yeah, the enemies would always run away from me anyway :/

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

The items to attract fights were far more useful because of the way chains worked for xp and jp gain.

I've said before, but BD2 resulted in one of the biggest swings for me in a JRPG from enjoying it to just despising playing it.

For all the combinations of jobs in the game, literally nothing is more useful, ever, than the freelancer. Sure, you can use the other jobs, and you want to level them to make Freelancer even more overpowered; but if you use them you are simply making the combat system unnecessarily difficult, sometimes frustratingly so.

Post-game is minimal and not very fun (actual postgame, I mean), the mini-game is decent, but easily breakable, and the rewards from getting every card come so late that they are actually useless when you can finally get them.

I know some people liked the music, and some of it was good! But much of it was gratingly irritating to me, and it was absurdly repetitive with only a handful of actually different tunes (vs arrangements) in the entire game.

I know others enjoyed it throughout, and I did for a lot of it too; but from the poorly balanced job system, to the absurdly, almost insultingly bad villains, to the gaping plot holes and pile of plot threads that are started and dropped and literally never mentioned again, I can't advise anyone but people who are desperately in need of a job-based JRPG to play, and even then make sure it's a pretty damn good sale (I'm not sure if $30 is even low enough). FFV is better in every single possible way, and if you've got a DS/3DS, the previous games are also better in pretty much every regard.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
      Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
      Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I really enjoyed it the first 5 or 6 hours. But eventually the game started to just feel like a chore to play. Not really getting attached to the characters after like 20ish hours made it easier to just walk away from it.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
      Holy mother of Fuck TWEWY. I just started on Another day and the first story fight is mean.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
      I picked up the NIS Classic collection and they seem to be fine for me.

But i did not expect any major changes and literally just wanted the ports so i'm not upset about a lack of bells and whistles.

Soul Nomad and the world eaters is an amazing game though quite a bit more serious and a little darker then most NIS titles and i sincerely hope it gets some attention with this release because it seemed to float under a lot of peoples radars

The OST slaps too.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      Zunde wrote: »
      I picked up the NIS Classic collection and they seem to be fine for me.

But i did not expect any major changes and literally just wanted the ports so i'm not upset about a lack of bells and whistles.

Soul Nomad and the world eaters is an amazing game though quite a bit more serious and a little darker then most NIS titles and i sincerely hope it gets some attention with this release because it seemed to float under a lot of peoples radars

The OST slaps too.

I was not aware of this collection. Hmm, I never did beat Phantom Brave long ago...

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7

The items to attract fights were far more useful because of the way chains worked for xp and jp gain.

I've said before, but BD2 resulted in one of the biggest swings for me in a JRPG from enjoying it to just despising playing it.

For all the combinations of jobs in the game, literally nothing is more useful, ever, than the freelancer. Sure, you can use the other jobs, and you want to level them to make Freelancer even more overpowered; but if you use them you are simply making the combat system unnecessarily difficult, sometimes frustratingly so.

Post-game is minimal and not very fun (actual postgame, I mean), the mini-game is decent, but easily breakable, and the rewards from getting every card come so late that they are actually useless when you can finally get them.

I know some people liked the music, and some of it was good! But much of it was gratingly irritating to me, and it was absurdly repetitive with only a handful of actually different tunes (vs arrangements) in the entire game.

I know others enjoyed it throughout, and I did for a lot of it too; but from the poorly balanced job system, to the absurdly, almost insultingly bad villains, to the gaping plot holes and pile of plot threads that are started and dropped and literally never mentioned again, I can't advise anyone but people who are desperately in need of a job-based JRPG to play, and even then make sure it's a pretty damn good sale (I'm not sure if $30 is even low enough). FFV is better in every single possible way, and if you've got a DS/3DS, the previous games are also better in pretty much every regard.

Uh... the easy button for combat doesn't use Freelancer at all (the "deal 99999 to everything everywhere" one with postgame jobs). Nor does my fun "no turns for enemies ever" setup, which takes longer but trivializes content even harder. Nor does the early game nonsense of Godspeed Strike.

I mean, it's traditional for Onion Knight jobs to be horrifically OP when you cap out all the other jobs. But that's just "I overleveled and now the RPG is too easy" so...?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      The main issue I have with late-game stuff is how the bonus boss fights all just have a "counter any action: +1BP" thing. It makes combo attacks actively dangerous, and kinda enforces a much more defensive playstyle, or ways to force the enemies to waste all that BP they're gaining.

But mostly, it's just a pretty lazy design. If it was certain actions that gave them a BP, it would maybe encourage alternate playstyles. You don't want to use black magic here, unless you can handle the archer getting a ton of attacks. But making them counter any action just punishes everything.

Granted, I did find ways to play through that. I just think it could've been better.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Yeah, I said it before in the Bravely Default thread. The format of boss battles in BD2 just mentally exhausts you and makes you throw up your hands and take the path of least resistance.

In past games or other FF games, bosses have a very clear strategy or weakness. Maybe they're immune to physical damage so you say "ah ha, I'll make everyone mages and wreck them." Geruda in FF3 has a super powerful party-hitting attack, but is flying type which is weak to spears, so you make everybody dragoons and Jump and beat him easily.

In BD2 most of the bosses counter everything you do with a wide variety of things, so much so that it becomes white noise, and it's easier to forget about trying to perform the calculus and just brute force it with the most OP thing you can find.

I didn't hate the game but Bravely Default 1 was much better in many ways.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
      BD2 is a perfectly OK game.

That's the best I've got for it.

If you're looking to fill some time and want a JRPG that does absolutely everything just "OK" and never more then it can certainly do the trick.

When I first started noticing BD2 bosses countering everything (especially by gaining BP), I hated it. I got used to it, though, and my main takeaway from it was just to not Brave a whole bunch all the time. Only do multiple actions if your party is in bad shape and you need that much recovery, or if it's one of your attacking characters and they're primed to get extra value out of multiple turns.

It would have been nice if they would give you some advance warning about what was going to get countered, though, or give some feedback about how frequently counters were going to happen. My party is banking on Godspeed Strike for offense, and the enemy counters Thief abilities? That could either be no big deal, or a guaranteed loss, depending on counter rate, and there's kind of no way to know other than grinding out the fight.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Gameplay trailers for the upcoming Marvel's Midnight Suns game, though not Switch footage obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CiOR0Z5AoU

https://youtu.be/VRieHP1b7Gs

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      And it's a card game. I got my hopes up for nothing.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      urahonky wrote: »
      And it's a card game. I got my hopes up for nothing.

Yeahhh.. this is why trailers with no gameplay are useless :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      The funny thing about BD2 boss counters? The postgame superboss doesnt use +BP counters.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
      That looks great, but I like card games

Neurotika wrote: »

Yeah, I'm like "Cool it's a card game!".

But. Is this going to be MTX'd to fucking hell and back? Is there going to be a "Best Value!!!" pack of gems for $100 that I then spend on booster packs? If so, hard fucking pass.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
      edited September 2021

But. Is this going to be MTX'd to fucking hell and back? Is there going to be a "Best Value!!!" pack of gems for $100 that I then spend on booster packs? If so, hard fucking pass.

Probably. Is 2K bad about that? I'm honestly not sure. It's possible it just uses a card mechanic but it doesn't involve like, buying packs (like maybe you get them in-game?), but it's probably unlikely.

Edit: Oh, maybe not

Purchasable skins are a whatever, that's at least not too offensive.

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
      edited September 2021
      Warlock82 wrote: »

Probably. Is 2K bad about that? I'm honestly not sure. It's possible it just uses a card mechanic but it doesn't involve like, buying packs (like maybe you get them in-game?), but it's probably unlikely.

They already said in twitter that there are no microtransactions for cards or anything like that.

edit: you already put the tweet in there.

Tcheldor on
      League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
      FFXIV: Tchel Fay
      Nintendo ID: Tortalius
      Steam: Tortalius
      Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
      I have no idea what the post-game BD2 Superboss does because i grinded everyone to max job and 999 in every stat and killed it in a single turn.

Godspeed strike is absurdly broken

Zunde wrote: »
      I have no idea what the post-game BD2 Superboss does because i grinded everyone to max job and 999 in every stat and killed it in a single turn.

Godspeed strike is absurdly broken

Counterattacks the party in various ways, mainly. Though yeah, freelancer and overleveling is... yeah. Also Godspeed Strike is ludicrous.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
      BD2 is definitely not as good as BD1 or BS, but I would recommend it to people.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
      FFXIV: Tchel Fay
      Nintendo ID: Tortalius
      Steam: Tortalius
      Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
      Tcheldor wrote: »
      They already said in twitter that there are no microtransactions for cards or anything like that.

Haha, yeah, I just stumbled on that right after I posted :P

It's still amusing to me (and makes me sad) that we've gotten to the point where "does not contain loot boxes" is a selling point...

• CruorCruor Registered User regular

Haha, yeah, I just stumbled on that right after I posted :P

It's still amusing to me (and makes me sad) that we've gotten to the point where "does not contain loot boxes" is a selling point...

There's also always the implicit "does not contain loot boxes yet" to keep in mind.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      ‘It’s a card game’ is clearly selling it short. It’s some bizarre card game x turn based strategy mash up.

I can see potential.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      ‘It’s a card game’ is clearly selling it short. It’s some bizarre card game x turn based strategy mash up.

I can see potential.

Two of my favorite RPGs of all time used Card systems for battling, so I'm 100% on board with whatever bullshit this is.

It's a bit of a sad state that this is something to be praised for. Still, that's great to hear!

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
      Taramoor wrote: »

I can see potential.

Two of my favorite RPGs of all time used Card systems for battling, so I'm 100% on board with whatever bullshit this is.

Is Baiten Kaitos one of them?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      Taramoor wrote: »

I can see potential.

Is Baiten Kaitos one of them?

Baten Kaitos and Lost Kingdoms II, to be precise.