As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catastrophic shipping accident in Maryland

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's because you guys kept saying let's go, that is exactly what we didn't want!

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    god DAMNIT how could I have been so foolish

• TefTef Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    a small horned lizard was seen darting away from the site of the grounding

what do you have to say for yourself

I didn’t see nothing and neither did you

Yes I did and why didn't you invite me to help

Because you won’t stop taking public notes on a criminal conspiracy!!!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    a small horned lizard was seen darting away from the site of the grounding

what do you have to say for yourself

I didn’t see nothing and neither did you

Yes I did and why didn't you invite me to help

Because you won’t stop taking public notes on a criminal conspiracy!!!

BUT HOW ELSE CAN WE SPREAD THE NOBLE ART OF BOATSTUCKING

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Holy shit I came as soon as I heard!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Holy shit I came as soon as I heard!

Dude.

TMI

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    If a boat became permanently stuck in the canal, would it become a bridge?

• RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    these boats just don't get stuck like they used to

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    they've got a guy now. the boat-unsticker guy.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    he's got a caterpillar tractor and everything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    they've got a guy now. the boat-unsticker guy.

"Fun-Ruiner" we call him

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    Sigh, it's never as good as the first time. Let me know when there's a new bigger ship class called Canal Fucker MAX or something and one of them gets stuck

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Sigh, it's never as good as the first time. Let me know when there's a new bigger ship class called Canal Fucker MAX or something and one of them gets stuck

size queen

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Breaking news, Stuck Boat Thread, a billionaire's toy submarine built with off-the shelf components and piloted by an off-brand xbox controller is lost (some would say stuck) at the bottom of the ocean. More news as it devel...

Sorry, excuse me a moment.

The producers are now saying that the billionaire was ON the boat? That can't be right.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The video makes it seem even more half-assed.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The CEO of the company behind the sub has degrees and experience in aeronautic design and seems to have decided to techbro a sub design as well?

He was also aboard.

Correction: they're not missing, they're Extremely Dead. There's a token search and rescue operation but they're not going to find the bodies, which are best case at the bottom of the sea next to the Titanic's husk. They've been out of contact for 3 days and the sub had less than a day's worth of oxygen, had no safety equipment or ability to be tracked or communicated with underwater, was physically bolted shut from the outside with no way to escape to withstand the immense pressure at 2 miles down which will instantly kill a human messily, etc. etc.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Correction: they're not missing, they're Extremely Dead. There's a token search and rescue operation but they're not going to find the bodies, which are best case at the bottom of the sea next to the Titanic's husk. They've been out of contact for 3 days and the sub had less than a day's worth of oxygen, had no safety equipment or ability to be tracked or communicated with underwater, was physically bolted shut from the outside with no way to escape to withstand the immense pressure at 2 miles down which will instantly kill a human messily, etc. etc.

Okay I'm not willing to put the time in on this gag, but pretend I copy-pasted the stories about how the Elon Musk rocket explosion is actually good because of all the things that can be learned, but with references changed to reflect this disaster valuable learning experience.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I read in a couple of places that they had oxygen to last until mid-Thursday UK time. Did that turn out to be wrong?

(Ignoring the fact that panicking people would probably use their O² up a lot more quickly anyway)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The articles I read last night said that they would have had between 40 and 72 hours of air as of the time of writing.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

I read in a couple of places that they had oxygen to last until mid-Thursday UK time. Did that turn out to be wrong?

(Ignoring the fact that panicking people would probably use their O² up a lot more quickly anyway)

I mean, they're still dead because there's no emergency beacon or anything on the sub to make it findable. There aren't really any submersibles that are going to grab a submarine and pull it up to the surface, and they need to take the sub apart to get them out of there.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wasn't disputing that they are Extremely Dead. I imagine oxygen wasn't the real concern anyway, based on that whistleblower article I assume they've been turned into watery paste.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I think they're going to be fine just to spite you.

I must have misheard about the oxygen then, I guess they might hypothetically not be dead yet

BahamutZERO.gif
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I am extremely confident that their flimsily built backyard sub went past its crush depth and imploded.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also I don't know what they had in terms of water but I don't think they had 5 days' worth.

Also I don't trust their air system to continue working at the depths they were going to.

Also I don't know if they even bothered having CO2 scrubbers, which you need or else CO2 builds up to toxic levels even if you have enough oyxgen.

Also I imagine their engine wasn't rated to the proper depths.

They built the thing for $25,000 when submersibles with serious depth ranges typically cost tens of millions of dollars, there's no way any of the engineering was up to par.

3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I am extremely confident that their flimsily built backyard sub went past its crush depth and imploded.

In a twisted way that might be the merciful outcome. In my spoiler tags are a timeline for accoustics recorded for the implosion of the USS Scorpion
    scorpion-5.jpg

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Did they do anything on this run they hadn't before? This is not this vehicle's first trip

we will probably never know because they definitely weren't keeping logs or a black box or anything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

It's one of those things where there's really just four alternatives.
    1. They went past their crush depth and died a horrifying death as the sub imploded. Remarkably, this might actually be the kindest alternative as their death would be so sudden that it would be painless - there literally wouldn't be enough time for pain receptor signals to reach their brain before they were crushed into compact mush.
    2. They got stuck somewhere at the bottom of the sea, possibly even within the Titanic's wreck. They are still alive, but slowly asphyxiating within the next day or so. A really bad way to go.
    3. As #2, but they realized that their death was inevitable and committed suicide to avoid that experience.
    4. As #2, but they miraculously manage to get saved soon. Wow.
    Horrifying alternative to #2 that would make #4 slightly more likely: they managed to surface, but since they're still bolted into their death-trap with no way of escaping they'd suffocate while seeing air outside their viewport.

Because they're bolted in with no escape, see. It only opens from the outside.

That opens from outside thing is why the whole ethos behind the sub's design screams "tech bro breaking what didn't need fixed" to me.

Like I guess you might be worried someone tries to open the door while submerged. They just need to push past billions of tons of water first, easy!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Did they do anything on this run they hadn't before? This is not this vehicle's first trip

I've been wondering about this, too. Because based on what we've heard, they've either done this, specifically, several times, or else have never done it before.

I'm guessing the sub(s?) have done actually for-sale trips, just never one to the actual wreckage before

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

Were its previous trips to the Titanic?

That opens from outside thing is why the whole ethos behind the sub's design screams "tech bro breaking what didn't need fixed" to me.

Like I guess you might be worried someone tries to open the door while submerged. They just need to push past billions of tons of water first, easy!

I suspect though I don't really know that it's because it's a lot cheaper to bolt a pressure-sealed wall on than to manufacture an operable door mechanism that can withstand the incredible pressure at that depth, and if nothing goes wrong you would never need a door, just get the sub recovered and have the people outside unbolt the wall again
    3f8gt4hysn4f.gif

BahamutZERO.gif
    Also I don't know what they had in terms of water but I don't think they had 5 days' worth.

Also I don't trust their air system to continue working at the depths they were going to.

Also I don't know if they even bothered having CO2 scrubbers, which you need or else CO2 builds up to toxic levels even if you have enough oyxgen.

Also I imagine their engine wasn't rated to the proper depths.

They built the thing for $25,000 when submersibles with serious depth ranges typically cost tens of millions of dollars, there's no way any of the engineering was up to par.

Lol what. Going to the ocean floor in the marine equivalent of an affordable hatchback.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Well presumably it's much easier to get the seal for that depth when you're not dealing with a door mechanism. I would actually feel safer being bolted into my tomb than trust spinning a big wheel for 12,500 feet.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I am not an optimistic person in general and I wouldn't bat an eye if the world lost a few billionaires, but I'm still hoping they find the submersible safe and sound because there's a chance that the 19 year old kid could grow up to be more than a rich asshole. The odds aren't great, but no mother deserves to hear the news that her idiot husband got himself and her son killed in a poorly designed oceanic coffin for five.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Good way of putting it @Fig-D

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Were its previous trips to the Titanic?

I think I read somewhere that the 'science' was 'annual recording of degradation of the Titanic wreck' and this was year 3.

But I can't find my source on that, so...

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.