Options

Psychonauts 2 Thread, hide Spoilers

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Finished it last night and really loved it. I think the fighting is the weakest point of the game but they really don't make you do it more than a few times per brain generally which is nice.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Finished it last night and really loved it. I think the fighting is the weakest point of the game but they really don't make you do it more than a few times per brain generally which is nice.

I find the telekinesis to be awkward. You have to remember to target enemies. I noticed in the first boss fight they pretty much direct your shots.

Also, I wish you could target the pyro ability.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    So long as you have some dream fluffs to pad out your health, the Glass Cannon pin (which makes you deal double damage and take double damage) trivializes most fights. I was shocked at how quickly the final boss went down.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Just wrapped this up last night.

SO had started watching the beginning with me and then got so hooked I had to make sure she was around every-time I played haha.

Great experience. Few little issues here and there but overall everything I was hoping for.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This shit rocks. PSI king was fantastic.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Me and the SO had some special treats during that level.

It was even more fantastic.

Did that a few times with this game which is not something I usually do while gaming.

But man, does it work well here.

• Options

Me and the SO had some special treats during that level.

It was even more fantastic.

Did that a few times with this game which is not something I usually do while gaming.

But man, does it work well here.

This game sort of demands a playthrough that involves fungus.

• Options
    I just beat it. What a spectacular game, the only thing I wish it had was a higher budget.

Easily beats out the original and probably makes it into my top 15 games of all time.

There is a magic to the storytelling style that Psychonauts allows for that I don't think any other medium can match.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH FUCKING GOAT VOMIT

I have turned on assistive features and not looked back, because I'm VERY invested in the story, but boy HOWDY some of this combat

• Options
  • Options
    I just beat it. What a spectacular game, the only thing I wish it had was a higher budget.

Easily beats out the original and probably makes it into my top 15 games of all time.

There is a magic to the storytelling style that Psychonauts allows for that I don't think any other medium can match.

There is a silliness to the storytelling, like someone is telling a tall tale. Kind of like the Princess Bride.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The Day of the Tentacle and the Monkey Island games are similar in silliness.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Post mid-game
    Library world is definitely my favorite so far!

• Options
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My favorite Tim Schafer story is how he originally got his job at LucasArts. Just completely bombed his interview. David Fox was phone interviewing him (the guy behind Zak McKracken) and Tim mentioned he was a fan of Lucasfilm Games' Ballblaster, at which point Fox informed him that that was the pirated version of Ballblazer. yikes.jpg

Tim was still allowed to send his resume and cover letter, so he wrote a comic of himself applying for the job and getting it and sent it in along with his resume and got hired because of it, and the rest is history.

• Options
    Also, haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but it should've been obvious to anyone who grew up watching Invader Zim (Library level spoilers):
    Y'all realized the Projection has the voice of GIR right? What a great call-back considering Raz's VA!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Also, haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but it should've been obvious to anyone who grew up watching Invader Zim (Library level spoilers):
    Y'all realized the Projection has the voice of GIR right? What a great call-back considering Raz's VA!

I noticed immediately. its a cute easter egg

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I am on the woods part.
    I learned you can bounce off those little trees.
    It wasn't very obvious.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am on the woods part.
    It wasn't very obvious.

You can also use Psi Blast to shatter some of the loose rock walls. This also isn't very obvious.

• Options
    This game doesn't bother explaining the platforming elements like the first one. It is kind of like Mario. It just explains the rail grinding.

• Options
    This game doesn't bother explaining the platforming elements like the first one. It is kind of like Mario. It just explains the rail grinding.

Which is largely pointless

• Options
    I am on the woods part.
    It wasn't very obvious.

You can also use Psi Blast to shatter some of the loose rock walls. This also isn't very obvious.

I was in a mine that looked like a dead end. I didn't try Psi Blast.

• Options
    Sometimes, the verbal hints are annoying. Let me figure it out.

• Options
    It was kind of like they were afraid to puzzle the player. Maybe there are more puzzling stuff later on. I am missing stuff in levels.

• Options
    Ugh, speaking of things that aren't taught to the player...
    the giant plant fight at the end of Bob Zanatto's level. You can throw the bottles back using Psi Blast but *NOT* TK, and supposedly you can TK the bombs back but I was never able to get that to work at all. The game doesn't give you hints to either of those at any point in the level; the fact that you're supposed to use Psi Blast to knock back bottles instead of TK like every other projectile that you can hurl back in the entire game is especially like... what?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Psychonauts 2 is pretty awesome and I'm absolutely OBSESSED with
    Helmut and Bob

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Spoilers for very close to endgame...
    ANY FUCKING LEVEL WITH THE GODDAMN GIANT ROLLY BALL MECHANIC CAN FUCKING DIE

BOWLING LEVEL WAS BAD. THE STUPID LIL TRICK AT THE START OF NONA'S LEVEL WAS BAD. BUT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK, THIS SHIT WITH THE GOD. DAMN. EGG. FUCK THIS.

Note: I am playing on PC with KBM. This may be my problem. Is this stuff easier with a controller?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options

BOWLING LEVEL WAS BAD. THE STUPID LIL TRICK AT THE START OF NONA'S LEVEL WAS BAD. BUT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK, THIS SHIT WITH THE GOD. DAMN. EGG. FUCK THIS.

Note: I am playing on PC with KBM. This may be my problem. Is this stuff easier with a controller?

tbf this segment
    is more or less the REAL final boss of the game

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Wrapped up Psychonauts earlier this week (which still looks fantastic on modern resolutions and completely holds up as an excellent game). I was chatting with my sister about how the Meat Circus looks even worse at high resolution because it actually looks better, but it's designed to look awful and does that even better now.

Yesterday I started Psychonauts 2. I had a fixed look of disgust on my face for a good 95% of that first level. So I guess good job Doublefine? For making something really horrible but being real good at it?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Teeth.

Really, there seems to be lots of disturbing themes in this game.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is it better to play the first game? I got through the intro to P2, but honestly wasn't feeling it and was thinking maybe playing the first game (despite being spoiled on the story) might help.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options

Easier not better

• Options

Easier not better

is there SOME WAY THAT IS NOT INTRINSICALLY FUCKING INFURIATING

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Is it better to play the first game? I got through the intro to P2, but honestly wasn't feeling it and was thinking maybe playing the first game (despite being spoiled on the story) might help.

I love the first game, but the platforming controls didn't even feel good in 2005 and it takes almost 3 hours to get to the great levels even if you beeline straight through and ignore all the hub world bits at the camp. The camp kids are super endearing, but that's the biggest draw until the midgame.

I'd recommend sticking with the sequel; if the Loboto and Hollis levels don't hook you, you won't find much better in the first five hours of the original.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I have to 1000% disagree. The first game is solid gold, everything about the setting is great, and it handles like any good platformer if you're using controls actually meant for platformers (i.e., a controller). It also looks amazing for a game a whopping 16 years old.

The only semi-awkward bit is that you can free up a power slot by only switching to the levitation ball in the air instead of using a whole slot for a button to start it on the ground, and aerial movement is a touch on the floaty side.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

Easier not better

is there SOME WAY THAT IS NOT INTRINSICALLY FUCKING INFURIATING

Not sure what your precise struggle is, but don't forget you can use time stop on the moving platforms.

• Options
    I have to 1000% disagree. The first game is solid gold, everything about the setting is great, and it handles like any good platformer if you're using controls actually meant for platformers (i.e., a controller). It also looks amazing for a game a whopping 16 years old.

The only semi-awkward bit is that you can free up a power slot by only switching to the levitation ball in the air instead of using a whole slot for a button to start it on the ground, and aerial movement is a touch on the floaty side.

I absolutely respect your viewpoint, but I'm playing through the original right now for the first time since the PS2 era or so, and the early game sequence of
    Brain Tumbler -> Sasha's Shooting Gallery -> Brain Tumbler again -> Milla's Party (with that awful racetrack in the middle) -> Brain Tumbler yet again
    feels like an elongated tutorial just to teach you how to jump and shoot. I guess I have a hard time seeing someone bounce off the second game but really click with that opening stretch.

(And maybe it's the backward compatibility on the Xbox One, but there is a noticable pause between pushing the jump button and actually launching which has made me miss more than one jump along the way, and I thought I remembered it being similarly imprecise back in the PS2 days as well.)

• Options
    Oh. Can you play the OG Xbox disc in an Xbox One? I have that somewhere. I also have a signed copy of the PC version by Tim Schaefer. Recently, I got it on gog for $.98.

• Options
    Oh. Can you play the OG Xbox disc in an Xbox One? I have that somewhere. I also have a signed copy of the PC version by Tim Schaefer. Recently, I got it on gog for $.98.

Not sure about the disc, I bought a digital copy years ago on the 360 and it's still playable on the One.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you put the OG Xbox disc in an Xbox One I am fairly certain it will then prompt you for a download. It won't load the game off the disc but it will work as a key/license basically to permit you to download and play the game.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else