Options

Psychonauts 2 Thread, hide Spoilers

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't know if there were ever patches for the PC version of Psychonauts 1.

• Options
    If you put the OG Xbox disc in an Xbox One I am fairly certain it will then prompt you for a download. It won't load the game off the disc but it will work as a key/license basically to permit you to download and play the game.

I'll have to search around my apartment and find my disc. I am not certain where I put it. It is probably dirt cheap to get one on eBay. The game is all over the place.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I have to 1000% disagree. The first game is solid gold, everything about the setting is great, and it handles like any good platformer if you're using controls actually meant for platformers (i.e., a controller). It also looks amazing for a game a whopping 16 years old.

The only semi-awkward bit is that you can free up a power slot by only switching to the levitation ball in the air instead of using a whole slot for a button to start it on the ground, and aerial movement is a touch on the floaty side.
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I have to 1000% disagree. The first game is solid gold, everything about the setting is great, and it handles like any good platformer if you're using controls actually meant for platformers (i.e., a controller). It also looks amazing for a game a whopping 16 years old.

The only semi-awkward bit is that you can free up a power slot by only switching to the levitation ball in the air instead of using a whole slot for a button to start it on the ground, and aerial movement is a touch on the floaty side.

I absolutely respect your viewpoint, but I'm playing through the original right now for the first time since the PS2 era or so, and the early game sequence of
    Brain Tumbler -> Sasha's Shooting Gallery -> Brain Tumbler again -> Milla's Party (with that awful racetrack in the middle) -> Brain Tumbler yet again
    feels like an elongated tutorial just to teach you how to jump and shoot. I guess I have a hard time seeing someone bounce off the second game but really click with that opening stretch.

(And maybe it's the backward compatibility on the Xbox One, but there is a noticable pause between pushing the jump button and actually launching which has made me miss more than one jump along the way, and I thought I remembered it being similarly imprecise back in the PS2 days as well.)

My take is that the arrowhead collection is the main villain of Psychonauts early game.
    And the platforming controls are pretty bad when you have to do acrobatics off trees or in the final level whether it's a controller or keyboard and mouse inputs.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Spoilers for very close to endgame...
    ANY FUCKING LEVEL WITH THE GODDAMN GIANT ROLLY BALL MECHANIC CAN FUCKING DIE

BOWLING LEVEL WAS BAD. THE STUPID LIL TRICK AT THE START OF NONA'S LEVEL WAS BAD. BUT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK, THIS SHIT WITH THE GOD. DAMN. EGG. FUCK THIS.

Note: I am playing on PC with KBM. This may be my problem. Is this stuff easier with a controller?

Easier not better

is there SOME WAY THAT IS NOT INTRINSICALLY FUCKING INFURIATING

Oh no I hate this mechanic and I hate how the industry thinks its in anyway fun and keeps putting it in otherwise good games.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Hmm. I just checked. CIB Pychonauts for Xbox is going for $99.99. Ebay is messed up.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Hmm. I just checked. CIB Pychonauts for Xbox is going for $99.99. Ebay is messed up.

I wouldnt buy old games until this auction induced price mania passes

• Options
    edited September 2021

I wouldnt buy old games until this auction induced price mania passes

It doesn't make any sense. You can get it dirt cheap digitally. Also, physical PC copies are still cheap.

I know I got an xbox copy somewhere.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I will have to do a search on gog and see what Double Fine games are out there.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Spoilers for very close to endgame...
    ANY FUCKING LEVEL WITH THE GODDAMN GIANT ROLLY BALL MECHANIC CAN FUCKING DIE

BOWLING LEVEL WAS BAD. THE STUPID LIL TRICK AT THE START OF NONA'S LEVEL WAS BAD. BUT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK, THIS SHIT WITH THE GOD. DAMN. EGG. FUCK THIS.

Note: I am playing on PC with KBM. This may be my problem. Is this stuff easier with a controller?

Easier not better

is there SOME WAY THAT IS NOT INTRINSICALLY FUCKING INFURIATING

Oh no I hate this mechanic and I hate how the industry thinks its in anyway fun and keeps putting it in otherwise good games.

I just finished the game, and...
    Honestly, I don't think the rolling ball levels were *that* bad? It handled better than I thought. Being able to hop definitely got me out of some sticky situations. Like, there weren't any real tricky platforms to navigate. Just some moving platforms, and occasionally the fan things you had to use the slow-down power on to roll through.

This may just be reflex from having done all the 8-Ball levels in the Splatoon 2 expansion, where if you fall off the level you die horribly.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ok one thing that’s really annoying is it doesn’t auto save after each collectable you get. So if you quit the game, sometimes you lose like 5 minutes of collecting things depending on the level layout. I’m assuming manually exiting the brain and going back in saves it? But that’s not ideal as I lost a tonne of collecting progress in a certain level because it doesn’t auto save at any point

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok one thing that’s really annoying is it doesn’t auto save after each collectable you get. So if you quit the game, sometimes you lose like 5 minutes of collecting things depending on the level layout. I’m assuming manually exiting the brain and going back in saves it? But that’s not ideal as I lost a tonne of collecting progress in a certain level because it doesn’t auto save at any point

The saving is annoying. You can't just quick save your game.

Krathoon on
  • Options

The saving is annoying. You can just quick save your game.

How do you quicksave?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So I hear this game is good. Is it advised that I play the first game, and if so does the version on the PS4 store not suck ass? I'd prefer to play platformers on a console rather than PC.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yes, play the first game first. It holds up really well for a game that’s over a decade old. The FMV scenes are a bit grainy on PS4 but oh well.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Yes, play the first game first. It holds up really well for a game that’s over a decade old. The FMV scenes are a bit grainy on PS4 but oh well.

However: do not punish yourself if you can't finish the last level. I wasn't able to finish it and I'm getting Psychonauts 2 just fine. ... I probably won't finish the last level of Psychonauts 2 either, frankly, what the hell is it with this series and just hair tearingly awful last levels.

• Options

However: do not punish yourself if you can't finish the last level. I wasn't able to finish it and I'm getting Psychonauts 2 just fine. ... I probably won't finish the last level of Psychonauts 2 either, frankly, what the hell is it with this series and just hair tearingly awful last levels.

Fatherland follies?
    Its pretty straightforward for the most part.

Admittedly I turned on invincibility and story mode damage.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    YMMV on the difficulty. Most people have some trouble with the finale of the original. I personally didn’t notice anything egregiously hard about 2. By the end of the game you should have tons of psy-pops and dream fluffs.

Mario 64 has more ridiculous platforming sections in it IMO.

• Options

The saving is annoying. You can just quick save your game.

How do you quicksave?

Oh. I had a typo. You can't quicksave. They should have had one that just saved your stats and collectables and your general location.

• Options
    I found my Xbox Psychonauts. I'll try popping it in the Xbox One and see if it will download the Xbox 360 version.

• Options

Fatherland follies?

I have both on. I'm just really bad at the egg rolling part. Like. Horribly bad. I keep overshooting or undershooting and I find the momentum REALLY difficult to control; that's why I asked if it's easier with a controller than KBM.

• Options
    I played that section with a controller and never fell.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The egg rolling part was awful, but it was thankfully also pretty short.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I appreciated the secret achievement in that final level.
    Destroying all the music boxes, and Raz's sigh of relief each time exactly matched my own.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Fatherland follies?

I have both on. I'm just really bad at the egg rolling part. Like. Horribly bad. I keep overshooting or undershooting and I find the momentum REALLY difficult to control; that's why I asked if it's easier with a controller than KBM.

It probably is because you can move slower at parts and do more minor adjustments where with a keyboard you are full throttle in whatever direction when you press it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gah the ending battle is so annoying. It does my least favourite thing in these kinds of games, ie you spend the whole game with battles that have health everywhere, and then just goes, no health, or very rare health drops, deal with it. It’s so frustrating and such a massive difficulty spike. Luckily I had two of the resurrection things

Prohass on
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Have y'all seen the mpreg Easter egg? Lol what a weird, beautiful game.
    https://youtu.be/HBC3y76OTqw

Seems like the giveaway for finding it is Pen Ward, aka Pendleton Ward, creator of Adventure Time, it certainly sounds like him in the animatic that plays.

Kanden on
  • Options
    Kanden wrote: »
    Have y'all seen the mpreg Easter egg? Lol what a weird, beautiful game.
    https://youtu.be/HBC3y76OTqw

Seems like the giveaway for finding it is Pen Ward, aka Pendleton Ward, creator of Adventure Time, it certainly sounds like him in the animatic that plays.

a) what the fuck
    b) this feels like a reference to The Baby Is You by Toby Fox (the Undertale guy)

• Options
    Here is the launch trailer.
    https://youtu.be/mBi9rqCZ4os

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fired up Psychonauts again. Collected all the brains for the first time ever, and did some of the secret tortoise dialogue.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Oh hell yeah, Xbox got Daði Freyr to make some music inspired by Psychonauts

https://youtu.be/vkNwnJ-lox8

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Whoever designed the cooking show boss battle needs a noogie.
    I think I see the strategy. You have to ride around on your ball to stay out of the puke.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JRootabegaJRootabega Registered User regular
    Has anybody noticed that a lot of the music in the real world is just a riff on Rock-a-bye Baby?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you put the OG Xbox disc in an Xbox One I am fairly certain it will then prompt you for a download. It won't load the game off the disc but it will work as a key/license basically to permit you to download and play the game.

This is pretty much how all original Xbox backwards compatibility works, to the best of my knowledge (I mean...there's like 40-something titles supported, so it's not a wide range, as oppose to several hundred Xbox 360 titles) on Xbox One onwards. The architecture is different enough that, rather than a generic Xbox emulator like the Xbox 360 featured (I think), Microsoft has bespoke self-contained emulator wrappers on a per-game basis. The compatibility is stunning--saves don't seem to work (sadly), but you can still use system link to play with original Xbox hardware (as demonstrated in Crimson Skies and Halo). This is also the entirety of Sony's 7th-generation BC approach since they left the PS3 in a bathtub full of ice with a PS2-shaped hole in it and a note to call the hospital, as far as I know, the primary difference being that Sony doesn't care if you still have a PS2 disc, whereas Microsoft does (I'm also not entirely sure what modifications are done to the PS2 games running in terms of resolution, UI, etc.--every single original Xbox game in the BC program has gotten a resolution boost, and some feature injected "Auto HDR", modified UI assets, etc., but there are a lot of PS2 games available for purchase I think). There's also one original Xbox game that can't be purchased in the store, but will download the game, presumably due to licensing arrangements, or maybe it's the other way around in the sense that the console won't accept the disc? Not sure.

(By contrast, on the Xbox 360, there was a generic Xbox emulator that actually covered a really wide range of games, PS2 style, but with occasional glitches, like the shader and transparency effects in Ninja Gaiden. It requires the some storage to install updates/store saves, but otherwise reads the disc.)

• Options
    Yeah. It turns out that I must have popped the Psychonauts disc in the Xbox One at some point. The game was already downloaded. Brutal Legend is also emulated. Double Fine keeping its games alive.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just watched credits on this last night, and holy shit, this is my GotY and I don't see anything unseating it

I thought I had figured out where the story was going, and it still managed to blindside me a bit
    Truman was obviously sketchy when he told Raz to repair Ford, and then Bob's internal view of Truman helped reinforce the idea that maybe this dude is just bad, and then in comes Nick, they successfully got me with that

• Options
    I think I have to max out my pops and fluff on the cooking boss. It tried it with three pops and one fluff and I still got killed.

• Options
    It is funny how this game and Zelda has young boys dying, but it is ok because it is not realistic. The game Heart of Darkness is way more graphic. The game Braindead 13 also gets disturbing.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    You're not dying, you're wetting your pants for sure though

Maddoc on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, Braindead 13 really leans into making creatively gruesome death scenes for the main character. I guess it’s not surprising though, as it was pretty clearly inspired by games like Dragon’s Lair.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You're not dying, you're wetting your pants for sure though

Yeah, but you also can have accidents in the real world. I don't remember what the game says when that happens.