Psychonauts 2 Thread, hide Spoilers

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ford
    Raz. I screwed with your family, Raz.

• Options
    So far, I found two bugs.
    I found a typewriter key and then the script to point out the key ran and it wasn't there because I already found it.
    Also, in Bob's brian, I fell off the world into this foggy, isolated area.

• Options
    Tim Schaefer likes to do this thing were characters kind of vanish when he is done with them.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Tim Schaefer likes to do this thing were characters kind of vanish when he is done with them.

Who vanished in Psychonauts 2?

• Options

Who vanished in Psychonauts 2?

The interns kind of vanish after you do the mission with them. I ran into two of them at the campgrounds. The isolation guy disappears after you finish his brain. He went to the woods.

Maybe I am not looking around enough.

• Options
    The
    PSI King
    disappears after he helps you out.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Keep playing.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »

Keep playing.

Yeah. I know. They show up later, but I think some of them disappear when not in use. I may be wrong.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    No, they’re literally all available to chat with around the game.

• Options
    The interns move to different places as the story continues. Their prominence in the plot certainly fades for quite a while, but I promise they still exist.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah. It is more like they abruptly leave the scene. You don't see them walking away. The game just loads them to some other place in the game world. It is not like Elder Scrolls, were you see a character actually walking to another location.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Somehow, the non acrobatic characters have to get around the game world. Does the headquarters have a driveway? I guess allot of them levitate. It seems like the place is missing cubicles.

• Options
    I don't see a driveway or parking lot for Psychonauts headquarters.

• Options
    There's a drawbridge that allows car access, it's just closed to you for silly reasons throughout the game.

• Options
    There's a drawbridge that allows car access, it's just closed to you for silly reasons throughout the game.

I will have to look for it. I also didn't see a way for Raz's family to get to their campsite. It looked like the bridge was broken.

• Options
    Apparently, all you need is a funnel for a brain transplant.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Apparently, all you need is a funnel for a brain transplant.

For insertion, yes. But for extraction of the old brain you either need a lot of pepper or a ticklish feather under the nose .

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You must find it impossible to watch cartoons

• Options
    The game is this odd mix of seriousness and whimsy. All of Tim's games are like that.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You must find it impossible to watch cartoons

I mean, I was the same with the Brain Tumbler machine in 1.
    It appears to be under the floor with no easy access for people who are not double jumping.

It sounds like the drawbridge needs less a bridge and more a 'TK only zone' sign on either end of the gap, with a picture of a car being carried by an orange hand.
    But yeah, spaces need to be accessible for the inhabitants of that space to feel real, IMO.

• Options
    If you think about it, the quarry area is pretty hard to get around for regular employees. They would have to levitate everywhere. I doubt all of them could jump on those platforms.

They kind of focused too much on making it a zone for Raz. They should have made the complex area have easy access bridges and then have it branch off into areas that Raz could navigate.

• Options
    If you think about it, the quarry area is pretty hard to get around for regular employees. They would have to levitate everywhere. I doubt all of them could jump on those platforms.

They kind of focused too much on making it a zone for Raz. They should have made the complex area have easy access bridges and then have it branch off into areas that Raz could navigate.

Platformer levels should be based around the character's abilities, it's not an open world or immersive sim. It would be a really bad idea to have a flat area with no jumps or tricky things to navigate in order to make us believe more in the reality of a world where you can scoop up brains and plug them into catatonic bodies like USB drives.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Finished it yesterday. So what will Double Fine do now when they simply can't make a better game than this?

Absalon on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Just finished the game tonight! I really liked it. Do I like it more than the original? Hmm. Honestly, it doesn't have the same MAGIC as the first one, but that's probably more a personal thing. The way I see it, the first is weird because the first half has the best character work, as Raz gets to know the characters, but the second half has the best levels. Plus, the second game was clearly Tim's first platform game, so that part is more rough, and by the second half he mostly threw it out the window to just be a graphic adventure with the occasional platforming touch. The sequel is more confident with its genre and didn't fall back on it.

That said, while there are some great levels in the sequel
    especially the PSY King and Bob's levels
    none felt quite as inspired as Milkman or Velvetopia in the first. And this game really could use ways to make collections easier, especially the freaking Figments. At least sort the list by level subsection!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    QOL things for collecting that would be great:
    -List collectibles specifically by which fast travel area they're in.
    -For the list of figments, please list 0/1 (or whatever) instead of just not having it there at all. That's terrible.
    -Make the thought detector point you in the direction of missing figments once you've beaten a level one time. Or make a new gadget if that's too complicated to work out.
    -Give a hint as to where you should be looking generally for the Scavenger Hunt items. Or make it so you can pay the quest giver for hints, money becomes worthless late in the game.

Other QOL:
    -Turn off bouncy physics for the health pickups. They're extremely often next to a pit, you smack the object that releases them, they fly off the cliff. Why would you do this...
    -Start the cooking contest level by having you hit the button to go, like rounds 2 and 3. It's obnoxious to be timed the first second you enter a new level for the first time.
    -More badge slots, please...
    -Stop having Raz suggest to buy a money carrying update when you've bought them all already.
    -Is there a New Game+ to where you could actually make use of the level 102 upgrade? If not, add one, maybe throw in a basic time trial function or something.

• Options
    Yeah, an Otto gadget to find figments is exactly what I was thinking.
    And on that note, it's WEIRD how you don't explore him at all in the game. No level, no backstory, nothing. I guess it's just to maintain him for as a red herring as the mole/set up for another sequel?

• Options
    Otto is the most mentally stable one.

I am on the
    Cassie level.

• Options
    It is about old hippies.

• Options
    This game has joined my few games to actually get Platinumed! (And Nier: Automata doesn't count.)

I have a quick timeline question.
    So the Maligula fight was supposed to have happened 20 years ago, right? But Raz's dad was still a kid at the time. In 20 years, he grew up, met someone, got married, and had five kids, two of which appear to be teenagers? That seems .. rushed. Twenty-something years ago, maybe.

Also, I'm curious what time period the series takes place in? I think it was supposed to be like the nineties, which fits, but I guess that means the not-Myspace/Facebook pages for the campers are non-canonical?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Schafer said that "we think the games take place in the 80 but, not necessarily. In case there's a piece of technology we need to steal from the 90s"

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Here is a deep dive into the game.
    https://youtu.be/i3g-YOUWxs4

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    And on that note, it's WEIRD how you don't explore him at all in the game. No level, no backstory, nothing. I guess it's just to maintain him for as a red herring as the mole/set up for another sequel?

I wouldn't be surprised if (ENDGAME TALK)
    Otto's level got cut for time. If he *had* one, I could see it almost like a evaluation level or training course like Sasha's brain back in the original game was, with some small peeks behind the curtain to revisit later. Sasha's probably been talking up Raz to Otto a lot after the Whispering Rock incident, I could imagine Otto wanting to take a look at what this kid can do.

Like, I could see a giant mechanical brain, which has to keep the "engine" of innovation going and running at 110% or everything breaks down as he has to dwell and think on everything that's happened. Probably would end up looking too much like the Mail Room, though. Maybe DLC if they do some?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I like to think that Otto is too stable to allow anyone in his brain.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Otto's level got cut for time. If he *had* one, I could see it almost like a evaluation level or training course like Sasha's brain back in the original game was, with some small peeks behind the curtain to revisit later. Sasha's probably been talking up Raz to Otto a lot after the Whispering Rock incident, I could imagine Otto wanting to take a look at what this kid can do.

Like, I could see a giant mechanical brain, which has to keep the "engine" of innovation going and running at 110% or everything breaks down as he has to dwell and think on everything that's happened. Probably would end up looking too much like the Mail Room, though. Maybe DLC if they do some?

Ending stuff
    Otto's post game chatting suggestions of what kind of tech he'd like to make are insanely dangerous and ill thought out. He's literally learned nothing from the whole Maligula debacle. Certainly fertile ground for either hijinks or a serious problem in a hypothetical sequel.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Ending stuff
    Otto's post game chatting suggestions of what kind of tech he'd like to make are insanely dangerous and ill thought out. He's literally learned nothing from the whole Maligula debacle. Certainly fertile ground for either hijinks or a serious problem in a hypothetical sequel.
    Hmm. Otto may be afraid of letting anyone in his brain.

• Options
    I like to think that Otto is too stable to allow anyone in his brain.

We went into Sasha's brain, and he's about as stable as a character gets on this series.

My guess?
    Otto's brain was going to be for the Barber Ford, but it got cut. *rimshot. It doesn't make much sense that the other two required a subplot, but he didn't.

Speaking of the game's middle pacing, do you think it was a good idea to open up so much of the game at once, or should the Quarry and the Questionable Area? be opened at separate points?

Oh, and since I have about a week before my next game, I decided to download Psychonauts 1 and give it a quick replay. Do you know if they made changes since the release? Because if not, there was some impressive foreshadowing of Psychonauts 2 early in the game.
    All seven totem poles are actually at the reception area and in full display, including Lucretia's. I'm surprised they thought this far ahead, but it does give away a bit of the plot if you pay attention. Speaking of which, after Psychonauts 2's midpoint, did anyone look at the mural in the atrium, notice the curtain, and just feel really stupid?

• Options
    I think he actually thought that far ahead.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    As someone who never played the original you can totally play this and enjoy it. The story works fine on its own. Like yeah I’m sure it’s loaded with callbacks and is way better if you played the original, but you definitely don’t need to go back and play the original now in order to enjoy 2. 2 is written well enough that you understand characters motivations and the gist of the backstory even if the details might be more fleshed out if you knew the original. And most importantly all the emotional and character beats don’t rely on any complex knowledge of the original plot

• Options
    I think they had a rough idea of the sequel when they wrote the story for the first game. They thought up the history.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    New quality of life update patch!

-special camera filter you can buy in post game to highlight collectibles!

- Quick travel menus in mental worlds will now have a check mark if you collected everything in a section!

- new psychosizmonitor combat challenges (meh)

Also they're really, really sorry about that banana figment

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478