As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Slaps [Chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Spoilering BOTW discussion
    Calling BOTW flatly "bad" is ridiculous; not liking it makes perfect sense, of course, since some people don't like certain things, even things that are good

I think calling it one of the best games ever made is a bit hyperbolic. I think "revolutionary" is a very accurate label for it, though it's overused. But many parts of BOTW are kind of humdrum or serviceable at best (story and characterization, combat, menu design) even while other parts are starkly amazing (world design, exploration and expedition, scale, lack of limits on player movement but enough friction to make it really enjoyable)

Maybe I'm too hesitant to say "one of the best games ever made," or I'm too biased because I couldn't stay interested long enough to finish BOTW. When I think of games that qualify, it's not hard to argue they have their own major problems, sometimes similar ones — Mario 64, Super Metroid, Shadow of the Colossus, Outer Wilds, Half Life 1 and 2, etc

Not sure if you’re pointing at me with this post but I’m not sure I saw anyone call it one of the best games ever made. I said specifically it’s in the conversation for my favorite game ever, not that I think it’s one of the best games ever made. Very specifically for me it’s probably in my top 5, but that’s a list that might include virtua tennis and NFL blitz as well.

DK said it

I want everyone to be clear that the best game ever is Uniracers

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Damn Dewey I didn't know 5-11 had a storefront. They sell the brand in Academy and Bass Pro and it's expensive as fuck and geared toward "I like to carry more than one gun"

Their belts are S-Tier tho

I have no idea what this sentence means

They got their start doing casual wear for bodyguards IIRC, but they make polo shirts, dress pants, socks, belts, etc. all geared toward heavy movement and concealed carry.

They're the gold standard for professionals and people with a lot of money.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Damn Dewey I didn't know 5-11 had a storefront. They sell the brand in Academy and Bass Pro and it's expensive as fuck and geared toward "I like to carry more than one gun"

S-tier belts have even-to-favorable matchups across the board in the current meta.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    i was sadly super disappointed in academy last time i went.
    i went last week to get a gameday shirt for foooootbaawwllll and there was just all sorts of shit thrown together in the mens section
    no size ordering womens and childrens shirts randomly inserted places on the rack just very.. Walmart-y
    i was like fuck man i dont even want to bother with this shit and left without buying anything and just ordered something online

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Calling BOTW flatly "bad" is ridiculous; not liking it makes perfect sense, of course, since some people don't like certain things, even things that are good

I think calling it one of the best games ever made is a bit hyperbolic. I think "revolutionary" is a very accurate label for it, though it's overused. But many parts of BOTW are kind of humdrum or serviceable at best (story and characterization, combat, menu design) even while other parts are starkly amazing (world design, exploration and expedition, scale, lack of limits on player movement but enough friction to make it really enjoyable)

Maybe I'm too hesitant to say "one of the best games ever made," or I'm too biased because I couldn't stay interested long enough to finish BOTW. When I think of games that qualify, it's not hard to argue they have their own major problems, sometimes similar ones — Mario 64, Super Metroid, Shadow of the Colossus, Outer Wilds, Half Life 1 and 2, etc

Not sure if you’re pointing at me with this post but I’m not sure I saw anyone call it one of the best games ever made. I said specifically it’s in the conversation for my favorite game ever, not that I think it’s one of the best games ever made. Very specifically for me it’s probably in my top 5, but that’s a list that might include virtua tennis and NFL blitz as well.

DK said it

People keep saying this and I keep trying it and it’s fine I guess but I think @nexuscrawler needs to come over and play it with me or something.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

5-11 occupies a lot of niches for uniform stuff that major brands don't which makes their blue line brand identity kind of unfortunate.

I will say between them and Bates I've had like 10 pairs of boots over the last 15 years and they're all overpriced bullshit.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I don't even know what S Tier is but y'all used to say it a lot.

Also Six NFL Blitz was so GODDAMN fun. Did you play it in the arcade where you could store your stats and show off to the girl in the food court like I did?

• Options

They got their start doing casual wear for bodyguards IIRC, but they make polo shirts, dress pants, socks, belts, etc. all geared toward heavy movement and concealed carry.

Need to back up. Like I still have no idea what any of the proper names are in the first sentence or how they relate to each other.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

S-tier belts have even-to-favorable matchups across the board in the current meta.

Surprisingly, belts rarely end up in even matches, even though they're made to be tied

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

5-11 occupies a lot of niches for uniform stuff that major brands don't which makes their blue line brand identity kind of unfortunate.

I will say between them and Bates I've had like 10 pairs of boots over the last 15 years and they're all overpriced bullshit.

I'm still rocking my Sportsmans Guide HQ Issues I bought I think five or six years ago.

They're p. rough at this point but still mostly waterproof.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Brother's in a lot of pain from a muscle spasm in his shoulder. :(

Doctor gave him Cocodamal, Naproxin and Diazapam, basically carpet bombing the problem.

• Options

Need to back up. Like I still have no idea what any of the proper names are in the first sentence or how they relate to each other.

https://www.511tactical.com/

This is easier than me trying to type words better.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Woven design belts are the light and I'm never going back to normal belts.
    also 5-11 calls their Chuck style shoes...Norris
    I shit you not.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    A friend recommended i try running in those weight vests

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Every store has one store manager and three assistant store managers. One of them just revealed they have no idea who I am.

I’m tasked with writing up a new hire who has a very large number of absences and latenesses. I find one of these ASMs and tell her hey, I need this person’s calendar card. Can you get it for me?

They go, when will a front end manager be here? Shouldn’t you be leaving this for them? I go, I am a front end manager. She goes oh, they promoted you?? N-no I’ve had this role for almost seven years.

Damn. There are literally five front end managers. Glad to see I’m appreciated. 🥸

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I'm still rocking my Sportsmans Guide HQ Issues I bought I think five or six years ago.

Our station wear boots get worn every four days and aren't even worn during most of our dirty work and I've still had multiple pairs basically disintegrate on me.

Hell I literally watched a coworkers brand new pair have the soles fall off over the course of a morning

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

How much do you want to be able to walk when you're 60?

• Options

I was a child the last time I did it, but they work.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Every store has one store manager and three assistant store managers. One of them just revealed they have no idea who I am.

I’m tasked with writing up a new hire who has a very large number of absences and latenesses. I find one of these ASMs and tell her hey, I need this person’s calendar card. Can you get it for me?

They go, when will a front end manager be here? Shouldn’t you be leaving this for them? I go, I am a front end manager. She goes oh, they promoted you?? N-no I’ve had this role for almost seven years.

Damn. There are literally five front end managers. Glad to see I’m appreciated. 🥸

that just means you havent fucked up bad enough
    yet

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    I'm so old my magic portrait is a cave painting.

I’m so lame my portrait is a painting of a cave.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

Our station wear boots get worn every four days and aren't even worn during most of our dirty work and I've still had multiple pairs basically disintegrate on me.

Hell I literally watched a coworkers brand new pair have the soles fall off over the course of a morning

Danner or Cocoran, Nike, Salomon

ed: and Rocky

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

Yeah I got scammed once on some "blemished" heavy duty work boots and blemished meant the glue didn't set on the sole.

I think it popped off that first weekend of ownership.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    kedinik wrote: »
    my HR department keeps calling the new 5x per week in-person policy "The Restart" and "The Return"

ominous proper nouns imo

Convince everyone to just not show up and call it The Rapture.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Chu works too hard to be seen as manager.

Try doing nothing but attending meetings and giving people flat cost of living wage increases at review time. Maybe push some business fad on them every few quarters to seal the image.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It's [chat]; I was being flippant because being flippant was funnier.

A large number of elements are below the standard set by competitors in the field of sandbox tower games with melee and bows, such as Horizon: Zero Dawn. The *visual* elements are pretty great as long as you don't mind the art direction, but the sheer number of areas that are in need of improvement is staggering.

Now, it's from the Wii U era, so maybe judging it in 2021 is unfair, but I've played better versions of just about all of what the game does. The climbing variety is a bit novel, but *really needs work*.

I could go into great detail, but there are, what, seven years of YouTube critique out there? I wouldn't be adding anything that hasn't been said other than "I also can't ignore the bad parts enough to enjoy it".

• Options
    back in the day when my fam ran the machine shop everyone always bought their work boots at the local country/western mall.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Also Six NFL Blitz was so GODDAMN fun. Did you play it in the arcade where you could store your stats and show off to the girl in the food court like I did?

S is better than A. I think it's a korean gamer thing? Elite tier. Ranking would be like S A B C D F.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

S-tier is when you’re graded on an A-F scale and you do better than A. The very best.

It’s from Final Fantasy VIII.

I lost so many quarters and my first major to NFL Blitz in the student union building’s arcade.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NFL Blitz was my favorite sports game back in the day
    BIG HEAD NO PENALTIES
    150 yard touchdown rushes every play
    AH AH AH AH AH AH

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

DK said it

I said it and I stand by it! It is one of the best games ever made! I even think it's less flawed than many other games I'd give that description to, a handful of which you've already mentioned. Though I think being influential is not enough to keep a title on this list, and as soon as something comes along to outdo BotW at the things it does best, it'll probably drop off. Like depending of the day I might say Mario 64 doesn't really count anymore, since Galaxy came along.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    seriously if you ever had a play under 60 yards in NFL Blitz you were playing it wrong
    turn any semblance of difficulty off and just go ham

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

For me I enjoyed BOTW but it wouldn't even crack a top 10 for innovation or a personal favorite.

It's good, and the end was nice, and some parts were really cool, but I think it's overstated exactly how much it innovated or revolutionized, kind of like Goldeneye or Mario 64, both of which did good things to be sure, and that may be due to how much the people enjoyed the game. Which is fair. People tend to favor the technical or design breakthroughs of games they like more than is probably accurate, but it's a relatively harmless thing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I need new music to listen to.

I was really enjoying the synthwave stuff I was finding on youtube, but that's like an hour of music each day. And it doesn't play very nice with my media controls.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Dewey Cox sells high priced tacti-cool gear for Sebastian Gorka.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    BotW is right up there with games like Getting Over It, tho its writing is nowhere near as good.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I need new music to listen to.

I was really enjoying the synthwave stuff I was finding on youtube, but that's like an hour of music each day. And it doesn't play very nice with my media controls.

How do you feel about EDM by people who watch too many cartoons?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I personally am looking forward to Metroid Dread so much more than BOTW2, because to me Metroid is the better series by a country mile.

Elden Ring is the other open world RPG I'm craving way more than BOTW2 as well.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Back when the PSP was a thing they put out a game called NFL Street where you played 3 on 3 in like, parking lots

It had players like Randy Moss and Brian Urlacher and played a lot like NFL Blitz and every hit would be a career ender in real life.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    It's interesting that it took about 17 years of open world games for somebody to figure out that every single player in every single one of these games is always trying to glitch their way up the tallest structure in the world, or to jank their way straight up a mountain, and to maybe make this not a glitch seeking contest but to plan, design, and gamify vertical terrain traversal.

That the developer to do this is stodgy old Nintendo, a decade too late, and on their first try at the genre is kind of miraculous.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I personally am looking forward to Metroid Dread so much more than BOTW2, because to me Metroid is the better series by a country mile.

I am avoiding getting too attached to the idea of the game. I'll be waiting for reviews, but will get it ASAP if the reviews from people who are reasonably critical are positive.

This discussion has been closed.