As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Watch the Irishman Suffer is my favorite.

Did you not get to the part about the "horny bastard reptile man who seems convinced this is actually his show"?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Watch the Irishman Suffer is my favorite.

Did you not get to the part about the "horny bastard reptile man who seems convinced this is actually his show"?

Oh I did, but I still prefer the artisanal suffering.
    (Also the bisexual fashion lizard.)

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Goblins.

sig.gif
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Disco episode 9, and every episode preceding I suppose:
    Burnham is a bad captain. Really tiring having her repeatedly insist that Book will act rationally as he continues to not act rationally. How is it not an enormous deal at the end of the episode that her inaction potentially endangered billions of lives? Ugh, goddammit Disco, this season was looking better.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    After checking out on disco for now, it seems it was the right choice.
    Have a character learn from their mistakes? Not in this show!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Burnham is a bad captain. Really tiring having her repeatedly insist that Book will act rationally as he continues to not act rationally. How is it not an enormous deal at the end of the episode that her inaction potentially endangered billions of lives? Ugh, goddammit Disco, this season was looking better.
    As a counterpoint, I don't think her not trying to talk them down and going straight to the killing option would exactly go down well with audiences.
    I feel like they had it right that she would go to lengths to stop him peacefully, but she never went Mutineer Burnham level and tried to stop Nhan from being able to do her job if it came to it. She explicitly told them to obey Nhan's order if she said to fire, then did all she could to make sure it wouldn't come to that.

Pity none of them remembered that there was as second person they needed to convince.

Though I would like it if they stuck with the tradition of new captains every season and gave Nhan the job.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Now imagine if they'd let Riker keep that fourth pip after The Best of Both Worlds.

Lower deck implies he kept it for a while before his sons inexplicable disease that an AI could maybe cure somehow

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Now imagine if they'd let Riker keep that fourth pip after The Best of Both Worlds.

Lower deck implies he kept it for a while before his sons inexplicable disease that an AI could maybe cure somehow

Oh, I meant when he got temporarily promoted while Picard was assimilated.

Stewart's contract was originally for 3 seasons and it wasn't certain he'd extend it. Had he left the show, Riker would've become the permanent captain with Shelby as his first officer.

I'm glad Stewart stayed, but I think the show would've worked either way. Frakes absolutely has the chops to carry a show. Plus, Riker and Shelby had a good command dynamic. It felt like Sisko and Kira in the early seasons, with a reckless but insecure second chafing under a patient but crazy commander.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    I think her perspective is entirely justified.
    She loves him. It's a big "duh' from a character writing standpoint.

Moreover, it raises some of the questions that were foreshadowed in the early parts of the season, when the President was commenting on her inability to cope with losing people or making the hard choices as captain.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    After checking out on disco for now, it seems it was the right choice.
    Have a character learn from their mistakes? Not in this show!
    Nah. Season 4 is actually quite enjoyable. There still is a Galaxy Destroying Threat (LOL), but that arc takes the backseat to more involved and bottled episodes, and it helps the show a lot. And one could argue that her actions are a direct reaction to learning from her previous mistakes... she has often taken the impulsive path for the greater good when the odds are obvious. This is a bit of a subversion of that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Also, page 100... someone should replicate a new thread.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    There is no thread, only Zuul.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    There is no thread, only Zuul.

3bsegjyt7hgh.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I thought it was a really nice touch for the replicated fruit to not have seeds. The apple they're cutting up in that scene doesn't have a core at all.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I thought it was a really nice touch for the replicated fruit to not have seeds. The apple they're cutting up in that scene doesn't have a core at all.

Kind of an interesting background cultural thing, I think. In the TNG era we saw replicated food still had the inedible parts that were basically replicated just to be removed and shoved back into the replicator for recycling. Because it's still presented as a replacement for "real" food so anyone can get a fresh from the tree apple even if they live an inconvenient number of light years from the nearest apple tree.

As society is accustomed to eating primarily replicated food and it becomes the norm rather than a solution to a problem, it makes sense that "recipes" would be tailored to that.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a post-Burn development specific to Starfleet. With most member worlds leaving the Federation, including even the homeworld of many remaining officers, humans in Starfleet have been culturally isolated from Earth now for three or four generations.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's also a dilthium shortage, so I imagine producing the non-edible bits is just considered an inefficient use of energy.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    well starbases have replicators and dont use antimatter but discovery is its own universe anyway

• Options
    edited February 2022
    well starbases have replicators and dont use antimatter but discovery is its own universe anyway

If it doesn't use the power provided by dilithium, then what does it use?

EDIT: Also, wasn't the starbase in Discovery powered by several starships?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think Voyager only really turned the sexism up to a 9. It wasn't until Enterprise that they decided to turn it up to 11.

My roommate was watching Ent with a friend and I heard from the kitchen (I guess civilians were visting ENT in that episode?)
    *archer impression* "Doctor, why didn't the visitors have to go through decontamination?"
    *phlox impression* "Captain, that's disgusting, there are children in that group, and old people"
    *archer impression* "Wait, do you just make us rub the gel on ourselves because you get off watching us do it?"

it's the only reasonable in-universe explanation

override367 on
  • Options

dilithium doesnt make power, its like reactor control rods in a nuclear plant but for antimatter

• Options

dilithium doesnt make power, its like reactor control rods in a nuclear plant but for antimatter

Sounds like dilithium is still an important part of that process and a shortage of it means a shortage of power still, even if the power isn't coming directly from the dilithium.

Back to my question, where is the power for 31st century replicators coming from, if not from matter/antimatter reactions enabled by dilthium?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Memory Alpha says dilithium is indeed a power source, fyi.
    Housed in a dilithium crystal converter assembly, the crystals were used as a power source as well as a regulator. Dependency on that power meant the starships risked losing the ability to maintain an orbit, let alone use of their warp drive, when a number of dilithium crystals were drained of their power or became fused in their assembly. In some circumstances, crystals could be re-amplified to provide continued service, rather than replaced. Alternatively, crude crystals might be used, though their unusual shapes could affect the energy flow in unpredictable and potentially catastrophic ways. (TOS: "The Alternative Factor", "Elaan of Troyius")

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    One of the through-lines of this current Discovery series and the previous one that I have genuinely really enjoyed is the low-key exploration of Vulcan Flirting, something that has been glossed over in the past.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    But that was TOS, when they were still making all of this up. Even more than the later shows, I mean.

• Options
    But that was TOS, when they were still making all of this up. Even more than the later shows, I mean.

Memory Alpha didn't cite anything newer, which suggested either its an incomplete entry, or the information provided was never contradicted and is still accurate. I could easily be wrong though.

• Options
    I'm not sure why starbases would be so fundamentally different from everything else. After all, space stations are just spaceships that normally don't move but absolutely can, as we see in the opening of DS9.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Yeah TNG and up Dilithium is only used to regulate warp core energy. Peak Performance for example, the scrap ship was able to power all regular ship functions with only the matter anti-matter reactor and was only able to achieve a warp jump with the help of a Dilithium crystal.

• Options
    The matter/antimatter reactor just goes to power the shields, main defector, primary weapons batteries and most notably the warp core. The impulse engines can be powered either by the warp core or by fusion reactors dotted around the ship. The fusion reactors also power secondary systems like the replicators, computer consoles, viewscreen, life support and lighting. Artificial gravity appears to be powered by something entirely different and may be like an e-ink display where you only need to power it to turn gravity on or off. The holodecks appear to be made of and run off of magic. They have their own entirely separate power systems and commands/control systems. The in universe explanation may be because it is an alien technology that is fundamentally incompatible with other Federation technology. Like, maybe the race that made the holodecks just went down a completly different branch of the tech tree and the only way Federation ships can even have holodecks with with a totally separate system based on totally different technology. Or it could just be that the writers were lazy and I'm thinking about it more than they did.

Bottom line, the war core doesn't power the replicators. You can run replicators off any kind of power you can generate.

• Options
    On most non-Romulan starships, the warp core is a matter/antimatter reactor. They're one and the same.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    One of the through-lines of this current Discovery series and the previous one that I have genuinely really enjoyed is the low-key exploration of Vulcan Flirting, something that has been glossed over in the past.

Quark wrote a book about his technique called "Fuck Around and Holy Shit Is the Vulcan Flirting Back Shut Up Just Go With It".

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    On most non-Romulan starships, the warp core is a matter/antimatter reactor. They're one and the same.

Yes but there are plenty of non-ship things that need that sort of power too and wouldn't have a warp core. Starbases, planetary shield grids, and heavy weapons platforms come to mind.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Most of the non warp stuff is fusion reactors. When it isn't a ship you build massive ones to provide the energy needed.

Edit: I had an old blue print of the D. Most of the area around engineering were giant fusion reactors. But for warp you need a massive amount of energy.

Also by TNG they could keep dilithium going in a starship for decades or so with regrowth chambers.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »
    So on the latest two Discovery episodes
    If you're so worried about loss of life, why piss off the most powerful race you've ever encountered?
    Who are you addressing with this?
    Because Booker's pretty clearly on the revenge train, with preventing loss of life just being a more convenient reason to give.
    Well yes with Booker, but he keeps saying that as his reasoning and not one person sees fit to throw that in his face. Just "Don't do it" / "I will have to stop you" not "You're going to get the whole galaxy killed you braindead idiot"
    The people talking to him know full well what his deal is, and can tell that a logical argument isn't going to move him. I've never had my entire planet destroyed (fingers crossed I never do), but I imagine I wouldn't be calm about it.
    And it's not a sure thing that they'll respond violently. It's unlikely that they're actively malicious because it's a terribly inefficient way to attack people, but it means they're either unware of life out there (unlikely given they're going to a lot of effort to hide), or know about it but don't care. Either way, it doesn't suggest fantastic odds of success for a first contact mission to get them to knock it off.
    So latest ep was an entire stupidly long run of
    Burnham and even the freaking Doctor/councillor repeatedly saying that Book was logical and could be moved with reason. And not pointing out to him that the all powerful alien species probably has even more devastating weapons and antagonising them is a bad idea.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    So on the latest two Discovery episodes
    If you're so worried about loss of life, why piss off the most powerful race you've ever encountered?
    Who are you addressing with this?
    Because Booker's pretty clearly on the revenge train, with preventing loss of life just being a more convenient reason to give.
    Well yes with Booker, but he keeps saying that as his reasoning and not one person sees fit to throw that in his face. Just "Don't do it" / "I will have to stop you" not "You're going to get the whole galaxy killed you braindead idiot"
    The people talking to him know full well what his deal is, and can tell that a logical argument isn't going to move him. I've never had my entire planet destroyed (fingers crossed I never do), but I imagine I wouldn't be calm about it.
    And it's not a sure thing that they'll respond violently. It's unlikely that they're actively malicious because it's a terribly inefficient way to attack people, but it means they're either unware of life out there (unlikely given they're going to a lot of effort to hide), or know about it but don't care. Either way, it doesn't suggest fantastic odds of success for a first contact mission to get them to knock it off.
    So latest ep was an entire stupidly long run of
    Burnham and even the freaking Doctor/councillor repeatedly saying that Book was logical and could be moved with reason. And not pointing out to him that the all powerful alien species probably has even more devastating weapons and antagonising them is a bad idea.
    He was thinking short term, but it's a logical decision. Doing nothing can costs lives now, doing something could cost lives later. There's no guarantee Burnham's plan for a peaceful resolution would work, and every second they waited meant another world could be wiped out, versus stopping it now and maybe or maybe not inflicting their wrath.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm already getting tired of Facebook ads pumping up the newly-announced fourth JJAbrahms Trek crapfest. His first two movies were slaps in the face to Star Trek fans surpassed only by the kick in the balls to Star Wars fans that Rise of Skywalker was, and I didn't even bother going out to see the third one - and I had seen every Trek movie in theatre since Generations. I sure as hell am not excited about a new JJ Trek movie. In fact, I would have been more excited by an announcement that Trek movies were on hold until the day JJ dies.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Hate them all you want, but you have to acknowledge that if they hadn't been made they wouldn't have reignited interest in Trek. When they came out the franchise was dead as hell, and no-one else seemed interested in bringing it back.

• Options
    Hate them all you want, but you have to acknowledge that if they hadn't been made they wouldn't have reignited interest in Trek. When they came out the franchise was dead as hell, and no-one else seemed interested in bringing it back.

I have to disagree. Enterprise ended in 2005 and the JJ movie started production in 2007 to be released in 2009. Calling a then-40-year-old franchise "dead as hell" because of a two-year hiatus is a bit of an overstatement IMO. Moreover, while the 2005-2009 period was indeed the first since 1987 not to have any new Trek TV/movie content, the franchise was far from dead. That period also had Star Trek's 40th Anniversary commemoration, the remastered TOS began selling and airing, dozens of Trek novels were published, merchandise sales went on, pop culture presence was still felt (for instance, Big Bang Theory premiered during that period and made liberal Trek references), and hundreds of fans cosplayed their favourite characters at various conventions. The franchise lived on, just not on screen, and it was only a matter of time before network/studio execs smelled the latinum and started producing new content. JJ didn't "save" or "resurrect" Trek, he just profited from it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'd argue that the need for content for thier streaming service is what's primarily to blame for our current crop of shows. The Abrahms movies feel more like a detour than any kind of inspiration for the new shows, given no new show was greenlit until AFTER the film franchise died.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Beyond was good. You should give it a chance.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    A franchise gets judged largely on its best content, and the latest one. The latest one particularly when people talk about new content, as it's assumed it'll be of that quality. Enterprise and Nemesis didn't convince anyone that more Trek was what anyone wanted.

This discussion has been closed.