As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Mostly the issue I have with the Disco Klingons is that they're just consistently written less interestingly than like, DS9 klingons.

The make up doesn't help but they also just get worse lines to deliver.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thought the "We come in peace" speech was great but it was mostly downhill from there.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I must admit, I didn’t find them great antagonists for much of Season 1 of Disco, though there’s an episode with Mudd which is an absolute blunder in terms of Klingon Menace. Season 2 gave them more room to breathe, but I am very much here for never seeing them again in that series.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    FWIW, both kinds co-exist in STO.

Also, Undead Scotsman, "truly alien" species have never been a thing in Trek outside of animation and sometimes CGI, for simple and practical reasons. Discovery's experiment in that direction merely demonstrated, IMO, that putting a human actor under that much prosthetics makes it nigh impossible for them to act (or enunciate). Still IMO, it's one of several things they've done (like having a single main character) that were perhaps worth trying, but turned out to be ... I want to say "failures", honestly, but let's go with "not a significant improvement over the more usual way."

The show that did this absolutely the best way was, of course, Farscape, because you can do shit with puppets you can't do with a human face and body. It's a shame Star Trek never called in Jim Henson's shop for a collaboration.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Prodigy E5 continues to be good!
    I guess that explains how the Protostar got in the middle of the Delta Quadrant. Experimental prototype protostar drive malfunctioned. It was the obvious choice, but I like it. No need to be complicated when there's a simple plot available.

I do wonder what they'll do next with the story, now that the Protostar warped "off the maps" of the main bad guy. I'm guessing he'll spend the rest of the season catching up to them and will return to grab the ship in the season finale cliffhanger?

sig.gif
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Also, Undead Scotsman, "truly alien" species have never been a thing in Trek outside of animation and sometimes CGI, for simple and practical reasons. Discovery's experiment in that direction merely demonstrated, IMO, that putting a human actor under that much prosthetics makes it nigh impossible for them to act (or enunciate). Still IMO, it's one of several things they've done (like having a single main character) that were perhaps worth trying, but turned out to be ... I want to say "failures", honestly, but let's go with "not a significant improvement over the more usual way."

The show that did this absolutely the best way was, of course, Farscape, because you can do shit with puppets you can't do with a human face and body. It's a shame Star Trek never called in Jim Henson's shop for a collaboration.

From what Ben Browder said about Rygel, the problem with that is that they are things you can do with to human faces you can't do to puppets. At least without having puppeteers jump on you before you shake the puppet too much.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

From what Ben Browder said about Rygel, the problem with that is that they are things you can do with to human faces you can't do to puppets. At least without having puppeteers jump on you before you shake the puppet too much.

Ben also mentioned that they quickly learned that touching the puppet was extremely important to making them feel real so they quickly found ways to facilitate that. (Numerous shots of them picking up Sparky where it's obviously a dummy)

But yeah, Pilot and Rygel were pretty great, visually. Shame they never added a third puppet to the regular cast.

• Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular

I watch everything with subtitles already so the different ennounciation just reads as an alien trait to me. I never had a problem with their emoting or acting at all.

So you don't particularly care whether the actors are able to deliver their lines intelligibly, because it doesn't affect you either way? :?

I don't understand english 100% of the time despite it being my only spoken langauge. I have trouble with many accents on top of this. The Klingons in discovery didn't even rate as unintelligible to me on that scale. As I said, it's just becomes a trait to me.

I already mentioned my opinion is probably in the minority, what are you wanting me to say here?

Eh, that'll do.

Especially since, based on that snip of S4e1 posted above, I think I'm finally completely done with Discovery. They've had some good bits here and there, but overall they seem to show no interest in changing a formula that apparently works for them, and their audience, but not for me.

I still have hopes for Strange New Worlds... and if that doesn't work out, I guess there's always Lower Decks.

I feel a bit frustrated too. I am digging a lot about Discovery... Except for the main plot. I like all the side character moments, I like the spacious set design and props, I like the alien species designs and interesting risks... But the actual story, I just can't get into. I just wish there was a supercut of Season 3 that would fade to black whenever red alerts hit, leaving just B plots.

• Options
    It still kills me that the Star Trek series with a vessel who's primary purpose is science and exploration... is also the one that's an action series. I dunno who said it here awhile ago, but this should have been, like, the USS Titan for all the action battles and galaxy ending scenerios they deal with.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    It still kills me that the Star Trek series with a vessel who's primary purpose is science and exploration... is also the one that's an action series. I dunno who said it here awhile ago, but this should have been, like, the USS Titan for all the action battles and galaxy ending scenerios they deal with.

If Discovery was instead about one of the few Federation warships and looked at the more militant side of Starfleet I think that would be more interesting

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I guess but like, why not do a different sci-fi property or an original one? I think we got enough of a look at Star Fleet in a war in DS9

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

If Discovery was instead about one of the few Federation warships and looked at the more militant side of Starfleet I think that would be more interesting

I assumed that was the direction they were headed in season one, we get introduced to the Discovery and it's got a bunch of Section 31 types on board with their special uniforms and comm badges (hate how Star Trek after DS9 made Section 31 an official part of Starfleet) and a captain with a much more militaristic ends justify the means attitude. Then by the end of the season, spoilered since there's people watching through it for the first time in thread:
    It turns out the reason Lorca was ruthless was that he was an evil baddie from the Mirror Universe all along, no need to question Starfleet's morality here, no siree.

LJDouglas on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »

I assumed that was the direction they were headed in season one, we get introduced to the Discovery and it's got a bunch of Section 31 types on board with their special uniforms and comm badges (hate how Star Trek after DS9 made Section 31 an official part of Starfleet) and a captain with a much more militaristic ends justify the means attitude. Then by the end of the season, spoilered since there's people watching through it for the first time in thread:
    It turns out the reason Lorca was ruthless was that he was an evil baddie from the Mirror Universe all along, no need to question Starfleet's morality here, no siree.
    Except there was plenty of reason to question it because non-Mirror starfleet command was going along with it and needed to be called out on it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Except there was plenty of reason to question it because non-Mirror starfleet command was going along with it and needed to be called out on it.
    At the risk of opening the "is Starfleet a military organisation" can of worms, it's not that crazy that an organisation that assumes the role of a defence force in time of war has some captains with a militaristic skillset. It's also not that hard to believe these people would rise to prominence during wartime. Lorca also did a pretty amazing job of playing the role of a conscientious Starfleet officer who, while interested in the art of war and all that, still treated it as a last resort/necessary evil. He was not wearing his bloodthirsty mirror universe tendencies on his sleeve.

Don't get me wrong, there were some seriously eyebrow raising moments like them being willing to genocide the Klingon homeworld, but even that has to be taken in the context that they were on the verge of defeat in an interstellar total war. It's not unprecedented for the Federation to consider such things when their back is to the wall, Picard had to be talked out of genociding the Borg, a decision which later got him a reprimand from Starfleet command.

• Options
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

At the risk of opening the "is Starfleet a military organisation" can of worms, it's not that crazy that an organisation that assumes the role of a defence force in time of war has some captains with a militaristic skillset. It's also not that hard to believe these people would rise to prominence during wartime. Lorca also did a pretty amazing job of playing the role of a conscientious Starfleet officer who, while interested in the art of war and all that, still treated it as a last resort/necessary evil. He was not wearing his bloodthirsty mirror universe tendencies on his sleeve.

Don't get me wrong, there were some seriously eyebrow raising moments like them being willing to genocide the Klingon homeworld, but even that has to be taken in the context that they were on the verge of defeat in an interstellar total war. It's not unprecedented for the Federation to consider such things when their back is to the wall, Picard had to be talked out of genociding the Borg, a decision which later got him a reprimand from Starfleet command.
    The mix of peaceful and warlike captains and having them serve during their... opposite? time frames was the entire point of the villain in Star Trek Beyond. He was a MACO officer turned Starship Captain, and wasn't really built for the exploration part of his duties.

• Options
    I'm nine episodes into Voyager and very much enjoying it. I think Janeway is a fine Captain and she's had to some real tough calls to aspire to Federation ideals.

• Options
    Watching the Western episode of TNG and god I wish they had the confidence to just do a crew being silly on the holo deck episode with no peril needed.

• Options
    I feel like Lower Decks or something needs to show the actual average day in Starfleet.
    Like the Borg Cube lower decks gag, just show the poor guy manning the transporter room.
    Twenty minutes of nothing, then: "Transporter Room 2, two to beam up."
    "Okay, shit. There's three starfleet officers and two civilians there. they're standing in a rough arc so they're all visible to an imaginary camera, so that's no help. I guess one of them is the guy who called, but who's the other one? Uh, eeny meeny miny..."

• Options
    Who to beam up is just the ankh morpork lost mail room played in real time. Context clues.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    What you never see is that the transporter guy beams ALL of them up, and buffers there pattern. Starts materializing them in combos of 2 until he gets the right one, then returns the others. The catch here is that he has to hold the ORIGINAL buffer in the pattern because when he gets it wrong, he has to dematerialize the "bad" copies so no one can remember. It's not murder, it's engineering 101.

• Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    What you never see is that the transporter guy beams ALL of them up, and buffers there pattern. Starts materializing them in combos of 2 until he gets the right one, then returns the others. The catch here is that he has to hold the ORIGINAL buffer in the pattern because when he gets it wrong, he has to dematerialize the "bad" copies so no one can remember. It's not murder, it's engineering 101.

There's a sci-fi/furry trash RPG I like called HC SVNT DRACONES. Which isn't great but also has a bunch of good fiction prompts.

One of which is a short story where there's cops sorta vaguely tired and talking with a transport officer about an issue. With the dark twist being that the reason they're so frustrated/aggravated by the situation being that the transport operator failed to terminate the 'old' body of the person transported across the system. Leading to two people, the old one of which has to die.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    also a short story, "Think Like a Dinosaur".

• Options
    Hell yes Voyager, only eleven episodes to get to a malfunctioning holodeck episode!

And it's Beowulf!!!!

• Options

I really, really wanted to find a YouTube of Admiral Clancy doing just the "sheer fucking hubris" line (like not the whole scene, just that line) to compare with 1:42 from the video I posted to compare the energy.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I really, really wanted to find a YouTube of Admiral Clancy doing just the "sheer fucking hubris" line (like not the whole scene, just that line) to compare with 1:42 from the video I posted to compare the energy.

I am guessing you have found the time stamp for when the line happens and that is not helpful? Feels like a perfect Vine thing if Vine was still a thing.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I am guessing you have found the time stamp for when the line happens and that is not helpful? Feels like a perfect Vine thing if Vine was still a thing.

It's funnier to me just to have the clip of just that part of the scene! And I'm amazed no one has made that clip yet!

If I really cared I'd figured out how to grab those clips to make the make the side-by-side myself because you're right, that would be the best. Now that Vine is gone today's kids use Tik Tok, so I've heard.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Who to beam up is just the ankh morpork lost mail room played in real time. Context clues.

I figure the transporter has a similar process to automatic doors in Star Trek. They can clearly perceive intent - characters walk towards them and then stop and dialogue some more and the doors don't open!

Whatever that process is, it's everywhere

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    uhhh i never knew the mirror universe TNG was so fucking bad ass, I need to get these comics now
    2940153574554_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg
    61-fXHz6g0L.jpg

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I should really stop complaining about the Klingons on Discovery, but if they're updating species to make them more alien why are the Orions still just people in green paint?

Wrapped up the first season and its not bad. Still dont know why Sarek had to be Burnham's dad but whatever, I guess I'll just keep wondering what was happening with Sybock and Spock and why nobody ever mentions them (well, Sarek mentioned Spock not joining the Vulcan Space Force or whatever its called).

• Options
    It gets covered.
    Sarek specifically wanted her to help Spock come to terms with his human half and as part of his way of demonstrating that humans and vulcans could get along. But then he seemed to double down on getting them to knock it off with this emotion stuff. In the wider scheme, Sarek doesn't come off as that great a dad. He and Spock are pretty much estranged until TOS/the movies. And in the era of no therapists, taking a traumatised little girl and teaching her to bottle her emotions up may not have been the best move.
    Amanda spent a lot of her time trying to undo the damage he was doing to them.
    And in the context of the wider franchise, it fits that they just don't talk about it. In TOS Spock barely acknowledged that Sarek was his dad, and only mentioned a brother when he was inventedactually showed up and started causing trouble.
    (Though that's a feature in Trek in general. It's pretty rare for characters to mention family members at all until there's a story concerning them, probably because writers don't want to limit their options until they have to)

And for the makeup, Klingons still match the rough description 'ridged foreheads and sharp teeth' They've changed, but it's not to the point of being completely unrecognisable. Orions have always been 'green humans'. There aren't any other distinguishing features to work with.

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    uhhh i never knew the mirror universe TNG was so fucking bad ass, I need to get these comics now
    2940153574554_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg
    61-fXHz6g0L.jpg

If someone could point me in the direction of a quality poster sized print of these that would be great thanks.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    It gets covered.
    Sarek specifically wanted her to help Spock come to terms with his human half and as part of his way of demonstrating that humans and vulcans could get along. But then he seemed to double down on getting them to knock it off with this emotion stuff. In the wider scheme, Sarek doesn't come off as that great a dad. He and Spock are pretty much estranged until TOS/the movies. And in the era of no therapists, taking a traumatised little girl and teaching her to bottle her emotions up may not have been the best move.
    And in the context of the wider franchise, it fits that they just don't talk about it. In TOS Spock barely acknowledged that Sarek was his dad, and only mentioned a brother when he was inventedactually showed up and started causing trouble.
    (Though that's a feature in Trek in general. It's pretty rare for characters to mention family members at all until there's a story concerning them, probably because writers don't want to limit their options until they have to)

And for the makeup, Klingons still match the rough description 'ridged foreheads and sharp teeth' They've changed, but it's not to the point of being completely unrecognisable. Orions have always been 'green humans'. There aren't any other distinguishing features to work with.

Sarek - with Mark Lenard playing him - pretty consistently comes across as a particular type of withholding career-oriented, top-down solutions parent. It makes his eventual mind-meld with Picard all the more appropriate. I don't know if it reads the same way on the screen during his appearances on Discovery, though.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Frain's Sarek has less gravitas—because everyone on Earth has less gravitas than Mark Lenard—and he comes off as someone who wants to be a good parent but is simply not equipped to do so.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Frain's Sarek has less gravitas—because everyone on Earth has less gravitas than Mark Lenard—and he comes off as someone who wants to be a good parent but is simply not equipped to do so.

Arguably his whole deal is he marries human women so somebody in his life can give him ( and his children) affection

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    12 Episodes into Voyager and we've had.

The Pilot
    Three Episodes of Time Travel Shit (one was the galaxy moving out of time, one was the ship moving out of time, and one was a weird amalgamation of the two and I'm not entirely sure what happened.)
    One MURDER MYSTERY
    One HOLODECK HAS GONE ROGUE (I am confident in saying one, the Doctor was intimate with Freya of Beowulf which is its own kind of amazing).
    Four Prime Directive episodes, two of which I completely disagreed with Janeway for her decision and two of which I completely agreed.

The Twelfth Episode is basically, THE THING: BUT STAR TREK, and was also good.

These are my immediate thoughts.

1. I watched a ton of serialized Voyager on UPN back in the day, so Janeway is not unknown to me, but she sure as hell is not the sociopathic meme that is commonly found online. Frankly, she's probably the most empathetic Captain I've seen so far.
    2. I feel really bad for Robert Beltran. It's clear the whole Starfleet v. Maquis crew was supposed to be a major tentpole of the series, but as far as I've gotten it's a non issue. Janeway clearly values Tuvok as her confidant and Chakotay is just...there.
    3. Kes and Neelix are both not nearly as annoying as I remember them being.

I am very happy the double fisted punch is still one-shotting anyone who needed to be one shot, is available.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It gets covered.

It 'fits' but it's still terrible.
    Burnham could've been raised by any other Vulcan and it would've worked better, IMO. The Sarek/Spock/Amanda connection(s) really only exist to give Burnham insta-clout as a character. Their season 2 stories, IMO, are the low points of the entire season. Especially the scenes where Spock and Burnham just snipe at each other. It falls into Enterprise-esque writing where Vulcans are portrayed as petty, petulant assholes instead of logical people.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I've hated that connection since moment one. It just feels really cheap and cynical to me, a way to make the main character important and 'big' without doing any actual work to make it feel legitimate.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Re: Prodigy and the Ship spoilers/thoughts
    so it uses a protostar.. And
    .. Hooray?

Isn't matter/antimatter annihilation several orders of magnitude more powerful than stellar fusion? Or is it about the gravity of the protostar?
    Is it a "shrunk" whole protostar of "regular" star proportions? That would be a big amount of energy, and shrinking protostars release energy while gravitationally constricting

Or is it a tiny star, as big as its enclosure?
    Edit:

Seeing how warp is, well, about warping space, it's probably a pretty big protostar that was "captured", and its gravity makes the "proto warp" possible.

I bet you it wasn't used more because you need to basically destroy a whole budding solar system per ship, which would very much not align with federation ideals..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.